Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
God bless us all and holy hell, we probably deserve another year of this horrible poo poo.

And yeah, while Tom Tomorrow belongs in the OP, I hope he rarely gets posted. We have Bolling, who is superior in every way, and fits the exact same niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Sandpuppy posted:

I was kind of thinking this would be a neat idea - post cartoons from your local guy.

Gary Markstein is a nationally syndicated cartoonist in the Milwaukee area. He previously worked for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and now works for Lee Enterprises. He has a cartoon strip called "Daddy's Home" which he co-writes and illustrates. He also produces editorial cartoons, and both are in newspapers throughout the Midwest, and Arizona where he hails from and attended college.

His offerings for political cartoons are pretty liberal and mostly bland from what I've looked at. He doesn't stray far from current events and has no solid schedule for updates. Sometimes there will be 3 days between comics, other times over a week.

Here's some of his editorial work from the end of 2014:

"Daddy's Home" is Markstein's primary work. He updates the strip daily, but they mostly aren't political from what I've seen. It's a fairly standard comic strip about a white family with black neighbor, going about their daily lives, and I guess they get a pet pelican later. Lots of Dad jokes, first world problems, and a mild helping of :biotruths:. I've only sampled the first few months of it's existence so far. He's started writing it while working for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and continues to write it now for a larger audience. Supposedly, this cartoon is being phased in as a candidate to replace Doonesbury during its hiatus and then in the future, though I can't confirm that.

The eyes are giving me a Gorrel Branco vibe and I don't like it.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 1, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Rorus Raz posted:

Oliphant, while he can be a poo poo at times, gave an interesting interview just this September saying say he has had cartoons rejected by his editor because they didn't get references he made to Johnny Appleseed and Hamlet.

I don't know if he meant his editor specifically didn't get it, or his editor just thought Oliphant's audience wouldn't get it. I don't consider myself well-read, but I didn't think John Chapman and Shakespeare would be foreign to the kind of people that would read Oliphant's cartoons.
This interview you keep referencing, you should post it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/09/legendary-cartoonist-pat-oliphant-we-are-in-a-forest-fire-of-ignorance/379524/

Featuring this fantastic cartoon. Prigee, eat your heart out.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Darkman Fanpage posted:

That weather vane is wrong.

Didn't even make it a measly day into the new year...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Happy 2015 you masochists.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Latuff haters vacate.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

It's Obama's world, and we are all living in it?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

If Obama proposed a bill recognizing the New Year, the GOP would start printing calendars that say it's still 2014.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I get it now. Tinsley is always late because he doesn't want to be required to use the same calendar as Obama. Any day now will be Obamuary first, you'll see.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Acid Haze posted:

The eyes are giving me a Gorrel vibe and I don't like it.

More of a Branco if we're being honest here.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Tinsley's New Years' predictions didn't last until February* :dance:

*they'll last until March.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

After having avoided iterations of this thread since late 2012, I'm back to give myself ulcers. I don't post cartoons though, preparing for graduation and searching for a job is keeping me from having time to do that. Besides, my local cartoonists are Chip Bok and Derf. Ugh. I am, however, ready to spew bile and vitriol and maybe take up drinking this year.

My heart goes out to you guys, who clearly sacrifice small but not insignificant pieces of your tortured souls to do this each day. Living saints, every last one of you.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Titus Sardonicus posted:

After having avoided iterations of this thread since late 2012, I'm back to give myself ulcers. I don't post cartoons though, preparing for graduation and searching for a job is keeping me from having time to do that. Besides, my local cartoonists are Chip Bok and Derf. Ugh. I am, however, ready to spew bile and vitriol and maybe take up drinking this year.
Derf actually gave up cartooning this last year. Not only that, but he found this thread and corrected us on his reason for quitting!

He contacted me on twitter wondering why we hated Rall so much :allears:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Acid Haze posted:

"Daddy's Home" is Markstein's primary work.

Call the police. You see a man with a comic called 'Daddy's Home'? Call the police.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Rorus Raz posted:

Derf actually gave up cartooning this last year. Not only that, but he found this thread and corrected us on his reason for quitting!

That's wonderful, haha. I'm not a big fan of Derf's comics mostly, but holy poo poo was his comic about going to high school with Dahmer amazing. I wouldn't have heard about it if not for a previous politoons thread.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
THE 2014 UN RANAN LURIE POLITICAL CARTOON AWARDS

Citations for Excellence

Rodrigo de Lira Mineu Rocha, Brazil

Vladimir Pavlik, Slovakia

Mike Luckovich, USA

Tom Kuenzli, Switzerland

Luc Vernimmen, Belgium

Darko Drljevic, Montenegro

Pawel Kuczynski, Poland

Emrah Arikan, Turkey

Tchavdar Nikolov, Bulgaria

Shlomo Cohen, Israel

3rd Prize - $3,000

Turan Aksoy, Turkey

2nd Prize - $5,000

Luc Decheemaeker, Belgium

1st Prize - $10,000

Mike Luckovich, USA

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 1, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
good cartoons are verboten in this thread. please post something horrifically stupid that presents nothing of value or A Good Cartoon, tia

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I will have to post PotG donkey here sometime.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

How can you read this cartoon in any other way than,"The President is completely and 100% right"? :psyduck:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Budzilla posted:

I will have to post PotG donkey here sometime.

Please do, that loveable donkey and his rascally trousers are always welcome in this thread and in our hearts.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
For some, that was all.

The rest of us, we died with honor.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Has anyone put more thought into becoming a dedicated poster of certain cartoonists? It was discussed a bit near the end of the last thread, people following certain cartoonists and posting their stuff in thread whenever it's released as a way to keep up with them. Anyone still interested in doing that?
I consider myself the official poster for this guy.

If there's one thing I'd ask him to improve (beyond better size), it (ironically) would be adding a little "this cartoon is about x" next to every cartoon he makes. Even with a passing interest in Israeli politics, half the stuff is completely forgotten half a year later.

A direct line between Yisrael Beiteinu and Lahav 433
It's ~some guy~ who is probably fighting some thing right now. Like half of these are about some guy and you have no idea what the deal is if you access the archive like a few weeks after whatever prompted it made the news. I just like the imagery.
The ruble - oil.
I think I mentioned before the Dry Bones is a major outlier in Israeli cartooning for a number of reasons - but almost never focusing on coalition wrangling or intra-party disputes is a major part of it.
"Where are the keys to this thing?"
"I shouldn't have listened to [some gizmo]

Edit - I actually think of him as the baseline for "competent political cartoonist". Decent art, recognizable caricatures, not too reliant on the exact same metaphor over and over (I'm looking at you, Bennet, as you're struggling to come up with another take on "thing is made out of letters taken from other thing")

pwn posted:

Featuring this fantastic cartoon. Prigee, eat your heart out.

:drat:

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 1, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The death of print media will kill us all!!!!

Brought to you by the owner of politicalcartoons.com

:ironicat:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

voltroon posted:

Oh, gently caress you, Muir, gently caress you. If you knew enough about Munchausen's Syndrome to quote a credible psychologist, you would know that reputable doctors call it factitious disorder. That aside from the fact that everything else about this comic is wrong in every possible way.

If Muir knew enough about Munchausen's Syndrome to quote a credible psychologist, he'd know that his strip is the loving poster child for it. It's nothing but fictional problems made up to draw attention to himself.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The death of print media will kill us all!!!!

Brought to you by the owner of politicalcartoons.com

:ironicat:
The thing is that Cagle's site is a marketplace for cartoonists to sell the usage rights for individual cartoons in things like newspapers or articles. I imagine print media still generates a lot of sales for cartoonists on politicalcartoons.com, since it's still pretty easy to get away with jacking cartoons for free (I mean, how many cartoonists in here are plagiarists?). I dunno how much a cartoonist pays to be hosted by Cagle, but if print media stops buying toons from there then Cagle could lose a good chunk of his business.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rorus Raz posted:

The thing is that Cagle's site is a marketplace for cartoonists to sell the usage rights for individual cartoons in things like newspapers or articles. I imagine print media still generates a lot of sales for cartoonists on politicalcartoons.com, since it's still pretty easy to get away with jacking cartoons for free (I mean, how many cartoonists in here are plagiarists?). I dunno how much a cartoonist pays to be hosted by Cagle, but if print media stops buying toons from there then Cagle could lose a good chunk of his business.

True, but I just find it funny that he's pretty well tied into the transition to a digital platform, but can't bring himself to make the last step of that transition. At the same time you have Bors at The Nib and crowdsourcing funding for his books, and he seems to be doing well enough.

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM
I thought Cagle's cartoon was supposed to be ironic. I mean "informed citizens" is so on-the-nose it could have been in a Kelly. Also Cagle has done some pretty trolly comics before... am I giving him too much credit?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Kelly, a lot of those heading images in the FAQ look like they're from forum Kelly edits. Is there a link to the whole of them, or is the small section of each all there is?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Did you point him toward 2024?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Somfin posted:

Did you point him toward 2024?

Really, I think if anyone wants to explain in a clear, concise way that Rall is not just disagreeable but has actively awful opinions, show them his shitbituary cartoons for Ebert and Mandela.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Or My War With Brian.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Added Tom Tomorrow/This Modern World to the OP.

I am stunned that I got asked to put Henry and Hope and loving Change to the OP before people like Sorensen and Tomorrow. This thread has warped us.

I keep getting side tracked before I can respond so this is coming in late, but they are both good cartoonists that have good opinions. So they unfortunately fall into an area of being forgettable. Nobody gets horribly offended by either of them, or goes on rants about how bad their art is (That Sorenson would be better was one panel! :argh:), while they also never really have any :drat: moments or home runs either. We see a lot of use of :thurman: for Bennet and the like, but not really these two.

So they are good and I'm happy we have them, but they just don't stand out.

Edit: also Henry and Hope N Change got bigger/posted more recently, while I would have assumed both of these two were already in the OP.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Capt. Sticl posted:

THE 2014 UN RANAN LURIE POLITICAL CARTOON AWARDS

Luckovich on fire!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KoldPT posted:

Luckovich on fire!

Several Luckovich cartoons also made it into the Washington Post's best political cartoons of 2014, along with thread favorites Bennett and Rogers.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hope n'Change has released its best-of compilation of 2014. Even I'm not cruel enough to post 20+ strips at once, but here's the link, in case you were "interested".

http://hopenchangecartoons.blogspot.ch/2014/12/2014-hope-n-change-looks-back.html

I will repost this, however, because it's still the greatest thing Jarlsberg has ever done.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 1, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
RIP 2014. You will be remebered, vaguely.

It's good to see that the thread is still going strong. I've read every post for the past 2 years. You goons are doing a good job!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Rorus Raz posted:

Derf and Rall are pals, I believe.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I don't post Honest John when it's not political but I don't know what this is at all:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zemyla posted:

If Obama proposed a bill recognizing the New Year, the GOP would start printing calendars that say it's still 2014.

I don't doubt that in the least.

• Locked thread