Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's telling you to do it after you beat the final boss. You can do the DLC areas easily by the time you open up Drangleic, which is what I'd suggest doing so you can actually use the stuff you get in those areas.

Haha, oh right. That might have been confusing, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Azran posted:

For some reason SC's drivers force me to uninstall and reinstall it once per week for it to work properly, but it's bettee than motioninjoy's shady spyware.

i have this same problem, it's annoying as hell

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

When would people suggest doing the DLC? Is there a good place in the story where they fit in?

The DLC areas are definitely intended to be tackled after beating the final boss from a difficulty perspective, but ~*lore-wise*~ it makes sense to do them beforehand. I'd suggest the former, since they're much harder than the rest of the game, but then on the other hand there's no real burning reason to do the final boss beforehand either, other than souls and maybe some boss weapons.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
What daggers have the best backstab damage? I've been trying out a bunch of different ones and I've been underwhelmed. I like using daggers but I haven't found any that do enough damage to oneshot regular enemies in the endgame which is really disappointing because I know bigger weapons can.

Separately, which have the best damage when you're just hitting things normally? I want to have an offhand dagger that's just for slashing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The basic one you get in the tutorial area.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

I don't think they got a significant buff or anything but I never quite got why people hate on dex weapons so much. Going by plain damage numbers STR scaling will always outclass DEX scaling, sure, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. You'll often find weapons with really fast attack speed, more versatile and/or fun movesets.
If you wanna go cut some cookies you can use the Rapier as an early game weapon (dual wield them if you want) and switch to the Espada Ropera at the end.

I've been rocking twin Estocs this go-round - the reach/damage/speed combo on them is awesome and you still keep the wider slash R2 on the mainhand for when needed.

Of course, Flynn/RoB/Leo leaves very little wiggle room for rings, but hey.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
....Wall sconce is victorious again. Woe to those who challenge wall sconce.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.
http://youtu.be/Sw7o004k6hI

Possibly the most entertaining thing I've discovered in the game so far.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

What daggers have the best backstab damage? I've been trying out a bunch of different ones and I've been underwhelmed. I like using daggers but I haven't found any that do enough damage to oneshot regular enemies in the endgame which is really disappointing because I know bigger weapons can.

Separately, which have the best damage when you're just hitting things normally? I want to have an offhand dagger that's just for slashing.

The standard Dagger or the Shadow Dagger from the mooks in NG+ Flexile Sentry's arena.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Fuzz1138 posted:

http://youtu.be/Sw7o004k6hI

Possibly the most entertaining thing I've discovered in the game so far.

Ahh keyboard inputs. Never change. I love doing that post boss or pre-PvP fight.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.

Feonir posted:

Ahh keyboard inputs. Never change. I love doing that post boss or pre-PvP fight.

Well, if I'm nitpicky about it, it's actually just me switching the role of the control pad and analogue stick on my controller, but they're functionally the same thing. (I forgot keyboard controls even existed)
I do have a new victory dance, though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The basic one you get in the tutorial area.

I think this used to be the case, but one of the patches buffed the backstab multiplier for other daggers so now it isn't anymore. For what it's worth, from the rudimentary testing I did the best raw backstab damage (with +5/+10 uninfused weapons and high STR/DEX) was on the Umbral and Shadow Daggers, and I think the Shadow Daggers were hitting for a little more but I couldn't properly compare them because I had them on different characters. (Most of the daggers I tried on the Drakeblood Knights in the Dragon Sanctum at intensity 2 on a character with 45/50 STR/DEX; that character didn't have a Shadow Dagger or a Manikin Knife, so I switched to a different character with 40/50 and tried those two on the Alonne Captain outside the second Iron Keep bonfire at intensity 2. The Umbral Dagger hit harder than anything else the first character had and the Shadow Dagger definitely hit harder than the Manikin Knife.)

At the most the daggers seemed to be hitting damage numbers somewhere in the 900s, which is a little disappointing; back in DS1 my Silver Tracer's backstabs were about on par with really big weapons, but I've definitely seen big weapons in DS2 backstab the same enemies for a lot more damage.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 1, 2015

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh man, Drangleic Castle is a huge difficulty spike for a Dark Souls baby like me, plus I think I was way over-leveled for Tseldora and Black Gulch. I also get the feeling that the game is about to stop giving me bonfires every five minutes, which has me terrified.

Also, I was wearing the Bell Keepers ring for about an hour and never got summoned. Is that affected by my level or what area I'm in? The covenant icon was blinking the whole time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The game never stops giving you bonfires every five feet.

You can get summoned from anywhere so long as the icon is light up. Most people know to avoid the belfries now, though some like to try and farm bell cops with two summons. Your level does not affect your ability to be summoned but your soul memory has to be within the range of someone to invade them. Yours might be too high for the average person wandering through those areas.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Oh man, Drangleic Castle is a huge difficulty spike for a Dark Souls baby like me, plus I think I was way over-leveled for Tseldora and Black Gulch. I also get the feeling that the game is about to stop giving me bonfires every five minutes, which has me terrified.

Also, I was wearing the Bell Keepers ring for about an hour and never got summoned. Is that affected by my level or what area I'm in? The covenant icon was blinking the whole time.

By drangleic castle you're generally above the soul memory where most people will be in the belfries. I got almost no hits by that point the one time I got my 30 guilty wins for that sorcery.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box posted:

i have this same problem, it's annoying as hell

Are you using motionjoy to run ps3 controllers? I have mine setup without motionjoy and do not have this issue

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFIqysSeD4

Only part i had trouble with was the download link... hit the button on the top right of the screen to get past the clickbait.

Also my contoller didnt show up in the Run -> controller command prompt, but it still worked fine

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 2, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Do dex weapons still suck as much as they did on release because I tried to go through as a dex-pyro dude (DS1's easy mode) and I felt useless and underpowered the entire loving game compared to str people

Flynn ring made most of them good to great. DPS beasts are stabby rapiers with ROB/Flynn/Leo.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Finished all of the DLC earlier today with 2x manakin sabres and at no point did they feel particularly weak. Two swings would stagger most enemies, or one powerstanced L2. Had the stone ring on the entire game though so maybe that helped.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
The Steam sale seems to have bolstered the player base at least temporarily so I've been doing a lot of Sunbroing this week. Lots of intrepid newbies are finding out that if you try to tank Smelter Demon without Gyrm's Greatshield you're gonna have a bad time.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Chuch posted:

The Steam sale seems to have bolstered the player base at least temporarily so I've been doing a lot of Sunbroing this week. Lots of intrepid newbies are finding out that if you try to tank Smelter Demon without Gyrm's Greatshield you're gonna have a bad time.

New player influx is most definitely noticeable. Decided to run through a new character yesterday and the amount of summon signs was quite hefty outside of most bosses. However soon as you hit NG+ the place is a ghost town.

It's amazing watching new players deal with bosses :allears:. Highlights include a guy walking into Old Iron King and running directly right into the lava hole and the neverending joy of people standing in front of the ballistas during the pursuer fight. One day you'll learn the 4th time I fire a bolt into your back for fun little pubbie :unsmith:.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
To be fair, that hole in the floor is about 12 times as lethal as the slow, dumb bowser-wannabe. Shield-blocking, rolling, parry, nothing works against its merciless maw.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Willfrey posted:

Are you using motionjoy to run ps3 controllers? I have mine setup without motionjoy and do not have this issue

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFIqysSeD4

Only part i had trouble with was the download link... hit the button on the top right of the screen to get past the clickbait.

Also my contoller didnt show up in the Run -> controller command prompt, but it still worked fine

Do not use Motioninjoy. It's super suspicious software that can potentially gently caress your computer up (prevent me from using any mice on my old laptop, for example).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Digital_Jesus posted:

One day you'll learn the 4th time I fire a bolt into your back for fun little pubbie :unsmith:.

Again: what the gently caress is a "pubbie" in a game where literally every player is automatically and anonymously connected to an unknown number of players at all times.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sorry is the vaguely standardized term for "Random dude on this here internet video game that is not someone I know" too difficult for you?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I summoned a few people for fun on the castle bridge, around SL 170. Soul spear makes pvp just stupid, I won 10+ in a row by having crystal weapon + crystal soulmass, geyser (not very useful) and soul spear with a wisdom staff / magic mace. Anyone who was able to roll in while doging rapid-fire soul spears ate the soulmass and then a mace to the face. There were a few who could deal, mostly red signed people, but every dragon sign dude was hopeless because they couldn't move laterally fast enough to avoid the slight spear tracking.

Then some shade invaded, I'm pretty sure he was hacking, because he ran away for like 20 seconds and then closed with me in some weird stutterstep faster than you can dash and just machine-gun rapiered me from 100-0 without pause.

I still haven't won a battle where they invade me; I am always fighting enemies or unprepared.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Digital_Jesus posted:

It's amazing watching new players deal with bosses :allears:. Highlights include a guy walking into Old Iron King and running directly right into the lava hole

I wonder if this was me. I got summoned 4 times and kicked the demon's rear end no problem, but I kept making retarded mistakes when I was trying to tackle him myself

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Doesn't being summoned mess with NPC attack timings or something? After all, it's the host's view of the enemies' attacks that counts, and I haven't seen any of them jump into the middle of an attack animation to compensate for lag or whatever. I guess you don't really notice it because the algorithm for winning a boss gank is "Turtle if you're being attacked, wail on his dangling rear end if you're not". Sure you have to dodge some of the attacks instead of shieldtanking, so it isn't totally trivial, but you don't really have to worry about slotting your own attacks into the boss' attack pattern or spotting fakeouts, and timing Estus chugs (leading cause of death by far in boss fights) is far simpler because you can just wait out your turn for aggro.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Actually, each player's word for it in regards to NPCs counts. It's why my Parry Aura works.

There are two exceptions: one, bosses. Two, other players. Against these, my Parry Aura fails.

In the case of bosses, the host's word is all that counts. This is why phantom players had some issues parrying the Pursuer.

In the case of other players, what their client says counts when determining their own state.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 2, 2015

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

A cat just told me my smell changed and implied that I am a sinner. Is this likely because I defended myself against a grey phantom in the Luna Belfry?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

the littlest prince posted:

A cat just told me my smell changed and implied that I am a sinner. Is this likely because I defended myself against a grey phantom in the Luna Belfry?

As far as I know, the only things you get sin for are:
1) killing non-hostile NPC's
2) Invading another player with a red orb

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

flowinprose posted:

As far as I know, the only things you get sin for are:
1) killing non-hostile NPC's
2) Invading another player with a red orb

Oh, I just remembered I killed two of those guys in white armor that just sit there. That probably counts. I wonder if I shouldn't have done that.

But really, those dudes shouldn't have been hanging out in such dangerous places. Also shouldn't have been keeping titanite on them.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

the littlest prince posted:

Oh, I just remembered I killed two of those guys in white armor that just sit there. That probably counts. I wonder if I shouldn't have done that.

But really, those dudes shouldn't have been hanging out in such dangerous places. Also shouldn't have been keeping titanite on them.

Those guys aren't NPC's, they are enemies. (Heide Knights)

Oh, yeah, also if you invade Licia with the Crushed Eye Orb, I think that gives you 1 sin.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 2, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tallgeese posted:

Actually, each player's word for it in regards to NPCs counts. It's why my Parry Aura works.

There are two exceptions: one, bosses. Two, other players. Against these, my Parry Aura fails.

In the case of bosses, the host's word is all that counts. This is why phantom players had some issues parrying the Pursuer.

In the case of other players, what their client says counts when determining their own state.

That makes sense then, explains why parrying as a co-op phantom is so hit-and-miss.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

flowinprose posted:

Those guys aren't NPC's, they are enemies. (Heide Knights)

Oh, yeah, also if you invade Licia with the Crushed Eye Orb, I think that gives you 1 sin.

I definitely didn't do anything with any kind of eye orb, and definitely didn't kill any NPCs then.

One of the wikis says I must have looted a chest that contained a Token of Spite. Which kind of sounds familiar.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Huh, I didn't realise Shalqoir's dialogue would change from that. I know the snooty gently caress behind ornstein won't talk to you if you've got one, but I'm pretty sure he's smuggling a spare halberd up his rear end, so that's hardly surprising.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
? Targray will talk to you as long as you have a Token of Fidelity in your possession. I think at launch he wouldn't talk to you if you were a Sinner since, you know, his covenant's entire thing is hunting Sinners and killing them, but while that made sense it was kind of a pain in the rear end from a pvp gameplay perspective so it got patched out.

well maybe you got like, 1 Sin doing something or other but I didn't think that looted Token of Spite did anything. Mostly it's there so you can join the Brotherhood of Blood without actually having to go and successfully invade another player, since it's the only way to get a red soapstone.

Sin doesn't matter much. You're really not going to become a Sinner by accident (10+ Sin), and even if you do all it does is open you up to Arbiter invasions, which are just like regular invasions except nobody does them before NG+. There's no other effect, it's just another way to opt in to getting invaded more often, but there's plenty of ways to do that anyway (dried fingers, delicate string, coc, eating spite tokens...)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to come back to the game to try all of the DLC, and since I just recently finished running through 1 and needed more Dark Souls. I was sort of pissed when my cleric got nerfed in the patch earlier in the year, but I decided to try running a paladin type character with a Lightning infused Claymore and FTH for my scaling stat. It's actually working really well, even if Lightning Spear isn't the "win game" button that it used to be. Should I respec at any point in the game? I have no experience with the DLC, so I'm not sure if stuff has resistances to lightning that's going to crush my damage output. I'm not worried about spoilers at all, fwiw.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I decided to come back to the game to try all of the DLC, and since I just recently finished running through 1 and needed more Dark Souls. I was sort of pissed when my cleric got nerfed in the patch earlier in the year, but I decided to try running a paladin type character with a Lightning infused Claymore and FTH for my scaling stat. It's actually working really well, even if Lightning Spear isn't the "win game" button that it used to be. Should I respec at any point in the game? I have no experience with the DLC, so I'm not sure if stuff has resistances to lightning that's going to crush my damage output. I'm not worried about spoilers at all, fwiw.

You'll do fine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chuch posted:

Lots of intrepid newbies are finding out that if you try to tank Smelter Demon without Gyrm's Greatshield you're gonna have a bad time.

Pfft, I killed that guy. :smug:

Eventually :ohdear:

I didn't really grasp how he worked at first, I figured those times where he pauses and starts heating up were similar to Artorias' power-up and that I was supposed to interrupt it, only to discover his defense went up really high while he was doing it. I didn't have any fire resist gear so his aura of flame basically wiped me out even if I was blocking, it took me actually switching up my gear and actually upgrading it for once (and coating myself in water) before I was in a position where I could just concentrate on fighting him and avoiding his moves without dying just by being in his general vicinity.

After that I thought The Iron King was going to massacre me but that was a surprisingly easy fight. First time I rolled right into the lava, but his attacks are slow and easily avoided, and you can smack him around quite a bit between moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Is boss AI tied to who they're attacking during multiplayer? I was summoned for Velstadt by a guy who I had a super laggy connection with, and when the boss was attacking me his movements were fine, but when he was locked onto the host his animations and position would jump and teleport in sync with the host. It meant that he stood motionless for half the fight and all the damage I did while he was standing around seemed to count because I was able to wipe him out pretty fast like that.