Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
At least use a good translation and not some project Gutenberg poo poo.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, all the translations online suck.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Look, Gobbo, it's ok. You are loved. Just listen to your parents. Gift one less cell tower and go out for coffee with your dad instead. It's ok.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Please post the king in yellow next, specifically the repairer of reputations.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Are there any good Tolstoy related conspiracy theories? He wrote a bunch about Free Masons in "War and Peace," there has to be something out there on that right? If people go full on crazy about "The Shining" I hope they can at least bother to go nuts about classic literature too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Barlow posted:

Are there any good Tolstoy related conspiracy theories? He wrote a bunch about Free Masons in "War and Peace," there has to be something out there on that right? If people go full on crazy about "The Shining" I hope they can at least bother to go nuts about classic literature too.

There's got to be a conspiracy out there convincing people all those Russian authors with bland English translations are worth reading. :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Barlow posted:

The Shining stuff mostly comes from the movie because Kubrick was a meticulous lunatic who made sure everything was just so, leading people to look for meaning in everything, plus there's that whole thing about him shooting the moon landing.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Barlow posted:

I'm literally nuts about Tolstoy. You gotta read the stuff he wrote after 1890. That's the stuff noone ever reads. Most of y'all are stuck in 1874.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
Happy 2015 buttsex lovers

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:staredog:

I love meltdowns.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Did some mod declare LF Rules for this thread or something? idgi

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

blowfish posted:

I love meltdowns.

I bet you love buttsex more.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

emfive posted:

Did some mod declare LF Rules for this thread or something? idgi

Obviously there is a consirpacy of the censors to keep Tolstoy's anarchist writings from reaching the public.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Obviously there is a consirpacy of the censors to keep Tolstoy's anarchist writings from reaching the public.

His anarchist essays are freely available online you dumbshit. Can you not even do the bare minimum of a google search before saying something so monumentally stupid?

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

QuarkJets posted:

His anarchist essays are freely available online you dumbshit. Can you not even do the bare minimum of a google search before saying something so monumentally stupid?

Yeah like there is an internet in 1895....

essays my rear end, more like books

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

essays my rear end, more like books

Tolstoy's anarchist writings were widely available in the US and Europe at the time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AddMEonFacebook posted:

What are you trying to say? His texts are freely available to the public today, contrary to what you said. That's really all there is to it.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

Tolstoy's anarchist writings were widely available in the US and Europe at the time.

What about in Russia?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

What about in Russia?

What about Russia? In Russia most people were illiterate then. Only about 25% of the population could read, and they tended to have access to things.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

What about Russia? In Russia most people were illiterate then. Only about 25% of the population could read, and they tended to have access to things.

Ah yes, the Russian Free Press, I remember it well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Ah yes, the Russian Free Press, I remember it well.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Tolstoy's writings were easy to get for anyone who could actually read and had the money to be buying books.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Tolstoy's writings were easy to get for anyone who could actually read and had the money to be buying books.

I know what I'm talking about actually, and that's not true.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
He basically had a cult at one point.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

He basically had a cult at one point.

Oh are you back to trying to argue things?

Dance puppets!! I promise I'm not an idiot!

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

SedanChair posted:

Oh are you back to trying to argue things?

Dance puppets!! I promise I'm not an idiot!

YEah we're talking about Tolstoy now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AddMEonFacebook posted:

I know what I'm talking about actually, and that's not true.

Correct, you are not true when you say you know what you're talking about.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Tolstoy was huge in the Russian intelligentsia near the end of the long 20th century. But atheist communism won over Christian anarchism. Doesn't mean he wasn't still hugely influential. The tolstoyan movement was bigger abroad than in Russia proper because of government censorship but it was still a big deal in Russia.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Shbobdb posted:

Tolstoy was huge in the Russian intelligentsia near the end of the long 20th century. But atheist communism won over Christian anarchism. Doesn't mean he wasn't still hugely influential. The tolstoyan movement was bigger abroad than in Russia proper because of government censorship but it was still a big deal in Russia.

I like this post a lot.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Correct, you are not true when you say you know what you're talking about.

lol

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Ballet Russe was a communist plot to overthrow the Parisian regime. How else can we explain Firebird?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hey can we ban this gently caress for dropping racial slurs already?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How strange that the victim of such a wide-ranging conspiracy, so long on the receiving end of horrific manipulations by mass media, friends, lovers, and strangers, should end up playing the puppetmaster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AddMEonFacebook posted:

I'm literally nuts

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
So why hasn't he been banned yet again?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm also confused about this.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pook Good Mook posted:

Because he's gay.

drat affirmative action banning policies, its a gay plot.

Bow-street Bastard
Mar 27, 2010

Close this dumpster fire

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
AMoFB for D&D mod. :patriot:

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Sir Tonk posted:

AMoFB for D&D mod. :patriot:

"Because, why not!?"

PAID FOR BY THE FRIENDS OF AUTISTICS PAC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jack Gladney posted:

How strange that the victim of such a wide-ranging conspiracy, so long on the receiving end of horrific manipulations by mass media, friends, lovers, and strangers, should end up playing the puppetmaster.

it is strange, isn't it?

• Locked thread