Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Yet more Liverpool shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
G.S. by TomOlson, on Flickr

Bunge Milling by TomOlson, on Flickr

Office by TomOlson, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Plank by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Some from Copenhagen:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I like this one a lot.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Edit.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 30, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

just noticed the black line on the top of this

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 30, 2014

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Yup, that's pretty awesome. If you cover the top part with your hand it could easily be mistaken for an aerial shot of a snowy field.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

This is pretty awesome.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

Where you gonna be? I'm in Evergreen, Co now. We just got 8 inches of snow, or so, and it's a great time to be in the rockies.

Banff-Jasper parkway (Alberta Highway 93) - a place named Mosquito Creek - about 25 km north of Lake Louise. It was indeed excellent, the snow was fine and the views were glorious. Pictures being digested by LR at the moment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Helicity posted:

I like this one a lot.

Same.

Fantastic. I'm beginning to understand what people mean about this site vs mainstream photography sites because only here would the frosted bonnet get a louder ovation than your city skyline at dusk.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Same.

Fantastic. I'm beginning to understand what people mean about this site vs mainstream photography sites because only here would the frosted bonnet get a louder ovation than your city skyline at dusk.

You can find good poo poo on Flickr or whatever too just not necessarily on the front page of explore. hth.

That frosted hood picture owns though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xiang Lin Si Temple, Melaka by alkanphel, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

First time using a decent ND filter..

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

Banff-Jasper parkway (Alberta Highway 93) - a place named Mosquito Creek - about 25 km north of Lake Louise. It was indeed excellent, the snow was fine and the views were glorious. Pictures being digested by LR at the moment.

Great! It's 20 below zero now here, so you hit them at the right time.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
another one

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Thanks all!

Slavvy posted:

It's understandable too: one is an observation to which people can relate, the other is a less familiar type of view. One can then think about each more critically or sociologically, but one is less immediately invested in the cityscape. (I like and am pleased to have made both.) It's fun to play with the viewer's relationship to the image. I sequence my portfolio in more of a book edit. When I made the Liverpool panorama, I started with it. It's the kind of thing that might be used to brand a hotel or a shop's regional store. People might then expect it to continue as a commercial portfolio, so it was a surprise to editorial/art clients and let me take them on a more interesting journey.

My final image of 2014:

Exotic plant, office, Pershore

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I went out for a walk this morning. There was no one else around.

2015-7 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-2 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-5 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Piazza San Pietro by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
alkanphel I have been meaning to ask, how do you compose your square crop shots? Do you use the Fuji EVF that lets you see square crop in the EVF or do you do it in post?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am also interested in this, but I suspect the answer is "the viewfinder" because most (all?) of those square shots are from his Hasselblad 6x6 medium-format.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

I am also interested in this, but I suspect the answer is "the viewfinder" because most (all?) of those square shots are from his Hasselblad 6x6 medium-format.

didn't know he had one of those, you're probably right

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Alkenphel is consistently one of the best photogs in the Dorkroom, at least in my opinion. Just solid, great photos put up over and over and over. So I'm still very interested in what he does to create those images, especially composition.

He's also better than most of us - especially me - about using Flickr's tags to actually provide useful information about his photos.

It's also the traditional time of year for resolutions, and I'd like to a) work out if I'm in a rut as far as photography is concerned and then b) break out of that rut somehow. Fixing my jammed Kiev 60 (also a 6x6 120 camera, though not nearly as good as a Hassy) and blowing a few hundred dollars on film / developing / scanning for it is a good place to start, I think.

The landscape thread is as good as any for a place to talk about composition. Anyone come to any recent realizations, ideas, questions, or complaints lately?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thanks for the compliment ExecuDork! And yeah, I'd say 90% of my square shots are taken with the Hasselblad so that makes the framing much easier. The much larger viewing area in the viewfinder also helps a lot when selecting the composition and scene because you can see a lot more clearly.

Might as well add a square shot since I'm posting anyway...

Canopy, Stirling Road by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 2, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Is using a hasselblad sort of like using the camera function in Instagram?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Hello by TomOlson, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RangerScum posted:

That's where Hasselblad got it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RangerScum posted:

Well most of my friends say that the Hasselblad makes for a great Instagram camera, so I guess that's a yes.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Well most of my friends say that the Hasselblad makes for a great Instagram camera, so I guess that's a yes.

What's your Instagram account

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Over the holidays I was digging through a bunch of my old stuff at my parents' place and I came across some negatives I had shot in a high school photography class in 1999.

I took poo poo photographs 15 years ago and I still take poo poo photographs today :unsmith:

No idea what camera it was, but I remember it was an older manual SLR. Film was Tri-X 400. I did some wet printing too which turned out crappy.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 2, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

bobmarleysghost posted:

you are never gonna guess it

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Happy Halloween by TomOlson, on Flickr

Santa Monica Court by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 3, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

Same as my nick. Don't bother though, it's all old stuff.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dren posted:

you are never gonna guess it

Hue

alkanphel posted:

Same as my nick. Don't bother though, it's all old stuff.

Too late. You posted stuff 2 day ago, can't be that old.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Noon... by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001