Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kakukaku Shikajika ending January 28, 2015 :cry:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-27/princess-jellyfish-higashimura-to-end-kakukaku-shikajika-manga/.82676

Also, I totally have a crush on her.

:blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Same. :blush:

Everything I've read from her has been great.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
She looks exactly like she draws herself once you learn how to translate manga drawings to real life.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Well, yea, the story's almost over.

a kitten posted:

Also, I totally have a crush on her.

:blush:

I'm not surprised that she is prettier than she draws herself in her manga, because obviously that doesn't fit the kind of stories she tells and she's not in makeup every scene, but holy poo poo the difference is huge.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 28, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I actually thought she'd be kinda porky, since it seems like a lot of artists tend to draw themselves thinner when not making exaggerated characters, but yeah, she's really pretty for a mangaka who constantly talks about endless stress and is almost 40.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) mangaka Higashimura Akiko (東村 アキコ) unveiled her sketches for an upcoming SnK card game.

That's unexpected.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Amatsuki: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/amatsuki-r2245

A time traveling story featuring a HS boy and his friend who is transported back to ancient Japan. There he finds out he has mysterious powers and tries to find a way back. It's confusing as there's 2 main story arcs ongoing but I like to art enough to struggle through it all :v:

Haigakura:http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/haigakura-r3654

Another josei/mystery series based off ancient Chinese mythology featuring a MC who has a strange power and his adventures involving rogue spirits. It's slightly less confusing than the other series IMHO.

tl;dr I just like the manga-ka's art and it's very flowery + nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

a kitten posted:

Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) mangaka Higashimura Akiko (東村 アキコ) unveiled her sketches for an upcoming SnK card game.

That's unexpected.

Holy loving poo poo that's outta left field alright

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Higashimura is amazing oh my god.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
She's good at drawing anything - I remember she drew a mini parody shounen manga in one of her series and it looked better than most real ones. That's why kakukaku is so awesome - it's a tribute to the process that gave her that ability.

Her bro did My Neighbor Seki as well.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Looking at it again, it's amazing how she's able to imitate some key elements of the Attack on Titan art style, but there's some elements that make it her work still (I can see it mostly with how she draw's Jean's face.)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Higashimura is great. I love the real-life extras she does -- this is the best imo:

(About how she started liking the guy she later married).

Also her explanations of obsessions and kpop are the best :allears:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Both of these have been sitting in my queue forever; good to hear Haigakura isn't as confusing as Amatsuki because I read a few volumes of the latter when I first ran across it and just haven't had the fortitude to go back to it despite the great art.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I can tell they are bad because they run in comic zero sum.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

:blush: Me three. Good to see that we were just waiting on her to come out with more, as opposed to scanslators dropping it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

Both of these have been sitting in my queue forever; good to hear Haigakura isn't as confusing as Amatsuki because I read a few volumes of the latter when I first ran across it and just haven't had the fortitude to go back to it despite the great art.

The anime Amatsuki at least reduced the confusion by cutting out the future world segments. I admit a part of me still has no idea what they are doing in the past because a ton of historical references and alt time lines.

coathat posted:

I can tell they are bad because they run in comic zero sum.

I don't get it :iiam:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gnossiennes posted:

Higashimura is great. I love the real-life extras she does -- this is the best imo:

That guy liked Turn-A Gundam, so he's got good taste. Nice catch.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

is this in Kakukaku Shikajika ? i don't remember it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Davincie posted:

Suspect it may actually be a volume-ending extra bit for Kuragehime instead.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Davincie posted:

It's a bonus manga from the end of Volume 13 of Kuragehime.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cool thanks, im holding of on kuragehime till its finished cause its such a long manga so i hadn't seen it

coathat
May 21, 2007

Alder posted:

I don't get it :iiam:

All of the manga in that magazine are bad.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

coathat posted:

All of the manga in that magazine are bad.

I meant have you read all the manga series in that magazine and deemed them universally bad vs other manga magazines? It doesn't really add much value as it's it equivalent to old man yells at cloud scenario.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I mean what I say and I'm always right.

Chapter 141 of 7 Seeds is loving on point. http://www.mangahere.co/manga/7_seeds/v19/c141/

coathat
May 21, 2007

Guess what they had at the store today?

Y'all better get to buying.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Of the cheesy fluffy romances of the world, that may be one of my favorites. Need to pick it up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Happy new year from Takako Shimura

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's a good trainwreck shoujo manga, I've got the feeling like I want to read something that's going to annoy the poo poo out of me.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Constant crying and suicide. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/suna-no-shiro-r2216

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

What's a good trainwreck shoujo manga, I've got the feeling like I want to read something that's going to annoy the poo poo out of me.

If shounen romances are also ok you can't go wrong with these for maximum annoyance:

GE(Good Ending)
Kimi no iru machi
Suzuka

coathat
May 21, 2007

This is good. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/soshite-hare-ni-naru-r10947

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

It really is! I'm sad to see it end so soon, but it was good.
I'd still like to see a continuation with more of Eri, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This was pretty great, yeah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not good because it's way too short and I want to know what happens to everyone else.

(Okay, it's good.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Freaksaus posted:

If shounen romances are also ok you can't go wrong with these for maximum annoyance:

GE(Good Ending)

...so the title's supposed to be ironic?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...so the title's supposed to be ironic?

Actually it's more literal than you'd believe at first, but the plot is like an extremely annoying and contrived roller coaster.

The artist is working on another series that's being translated right now, Domestic na Kanojo. I didn't think it was possible, but the contrivance and trainwreck levels are on the up and up and there's only 11 chapters out.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Compendium posted:

Actually it's more literal than you'd believe at first, but the plot is like an extremely annoying and contrived roller coaster.

The artist is working on another series that's being translated right now, Domestic na Kanojo. I didn't think it was possible, but the contrivance and trainwreck levels are on the up and up and there's only 11 chapters out.

I got through the first few chapters of Domestic na Kanojo before dropping it. I hated everyone in it and pretty much everything about it.

For maximum cliche trainwreck party, I'm still all about my first manga, Mars.

a kitten posted:

Happy new year from Takako Shimura

Speaking of Takako Shimura, Koiiji is shaping up to be really, really good. I don't know if any groups have picked it up, but the first four raws have translations.

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 1, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gnossiennes posted:

Speaking of Takako Shimura, Koiiji is shaping up to be really, really good. I don't know if any groups have picked it up, but the first four raws have translations.

Looking at raws it seems to be cool but also disappointingly heteronormative, like that's not a bad thing but the amount of actually decent writers (reservations about the end of Aoi Hana aside) doing gay/trans stuff is already pretty slim.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Started reading Itoshi no Karin and stopped after a couple of chapters because it was rubbish. However, I liked that it was about a theme park gardener and mascot so now I'd like to read some more mangas about people with strange jobs. I'm still bummed that the manga about the salarywoman and the old train guard stopped getting updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Compendium posted:

The artist is working on another series that's being translated right now, Domestic na Kanojo.

i thought there was a familiar kind of terribleness about that series. :ms: