Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Great Beer posted:

Because it's on steam. v:shobon:v

So no way to cheat some money in then?

I tried using cheat engine back in the beta but couldn't seem to get it to work. Though to be fair I didn't delve too deep, so it may be possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

It cost me a total of 95k for those two vinyls, but they were so worth it. :911: as gently caress.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Am I the only one who looks at the Hummer and gets nostalgically excited for the prospect of just painting one yellow and driving it off a cliff/running over deer, not because I like Hummers, but because of Test Drive Offroad?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

jadebullet posted:

Am I the only one who looks at the Hummer and gets nostalgically excited for the prospect of just painting one yellow and driving it off a cliff/running over deer, not because I like Hummers, but because of Test Drive Offroad?

You'll be glad to know they come in yellow by default then :v:

The deer do the typical Ubi pedestrian thing of magically jumping out of the way at the last second though, so none of that.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
gently caress takedowns. These devs deserve a special place in hell.

Takedowns WITH the supernatural cops? Kill me. 17 attempts to takedown a loving PRISON BUS in a raid truck with a 300+pt bonus over the recommended stat. :negative:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Connectivity in this game is loving weird. Played just fine with Eurobeat earlier, did some races, had a blast. Servers went down, came back up, suddenly I can't connect to anyone. Ubisoft :v:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

robotsinmyhead posted:

gently caress takedowns. These devs deserve a special place in hell.

Takedowns WITH the supernatural cops? Kill me. 17 attempts to takedown a loving PRISON BUS in a raid truck with a 300+pt bonus over the recommended stat. :negative:

I don't think car levels count at all in missions. The rubberband AI tries its hardest to screw you over regardless of your shiny platinum parts (Or it straight up cheats, like when you drift left and right on the snowy road behind your opponents, who take every turn flawlessly, in performance cars, with no drifting at all :wtc:)

That said, I actually really enjoy that ten-minute Raid Getaway faction mission in the Mountain States just for the novelty of a chase mission that feels more or less fair. Off-road getaways, overall, are not too bad IMO. But takedowns can go straight to hell. I haven't reached the Prison Bus mission yet, and I'm really not looking forward to it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Alternate opinion for balance - I only had to play the prison bus mission twice. And only that because I was dumb and drove into a bridge and let it get away. The thing has a bit much health, but it's slow as gently caress and really easy to hit so it's really not that hard. Keep your foot down and the cops don't get close enough to harass you too much.

That was my experience of it anyway.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
My thought is that they couldn't program decent AI drivers and just put everyone on rails instead. I'm really over any instance in this game where I have to race against the AI and I'm 100% ok doing point-to-point and checkpoint things, skills challenges, and generally loving around. This is a great driving game and a piece of poo poo racing game, simultaneously.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

My thought is that they couldn't program decent AI drivers and just put everyone on rails instead. I'm really over any instance in this game where I have to race against the AI and I'm 100% ok doing point-to-point and checkpoint things, skills challenges, and generally loving around. This is a great driving game and a piece of poo poo racing game, simultaneously.

On that point, PVP races are great fun as long as collisions are turned off. If they're on even tapping someone very slightly will send them careering off like a pinball. While this can be initially hilarious it makes for really bad racing. And it's frustrating because the person who controls that setting is the person with the most points, who usually ends up being a douchbag who won't listen. Or the one who is deliberately driving people off the road all the time.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I bought this game a few days ago on a friend's recommandation and while it took me a while to get into it, I really don't regret my purchase at all.

One thing though: coming from Forza, the starting cars all drive like complete rear end. At best it's like steering loving freight trains on ice.

The single most important piece of advice a new player can get is: go to New york and buy the Ford Focus RS ASAP. That car single-handedly salvaged my opinion of the game and I think it deserves to be in the OP. From there it's just a matter of screwing around doing missions, getting parts and racing random strangers while enjoying the gorgeous scenery. As my buddy put it brilliantly, sometimes this game is like Journey. With muscle cars and Hummers.

Tiger_Sushi on Uplay if you want a spot in our CROU. (we might be dirty frog-eaters though)

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 19, 2014

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

AirRaid posted:

On that point, PVP races are great fun as long as collisions are turned off. If they're on even tapping someone very slightly will send them careering off like a pinball. While this can be initially hilarious it makes for really bad racing. And it's frustrating because the person who controls that setting is the person with the most points, who usually ends up being a douchbag who won't listen. Or the one who is deliberately driving people off the road all the time.

I really should race PvP knowing that this is an option. I only ever race PvP in games where there is a certain amount of mutual respect (goon series racing in Forza/GT). Collisions on in GTA5 makes me wanna punch someone.

Ghost Cars best cars :ghost:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Heads up there's a 170MB patch, no patchnotess yet though.

However on my game at least it reset my video settings, so I needed to flip the FPS limit back to 60.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, their last 90-ish MB hotfix did that too. Hopefully this upcoming one fixes connection stuff :shobon:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Would there be any interest in tournament racing? Also is there a way to transfer crew credits to another player? Would like to have prizes but not sure how they would be awarded to players.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I'd be interested, but I think awarding prizes will be tricky. I don't know of any waay to trade anything between players.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Went back, got the prison bus on my second try, beat the story, finally uninstalled after 53 hours (without touching any kind of multiplayer). Good game, definitely worth the price, season pass/microtransactions and all. I'll definitely have another look at it in 2016.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

for an imp you sure have poo poo opinions in video games

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There are a few reasons why a person would want to buy the crew:
- Virtual road trips and pick up races with up to 3 pals
- Doing instanced road and offroad racing in PvP with up to 3 pals and 8 players total
- They enjoy arcade style racing with a learning curve

Here are some reasons why a person would not want to buy the crew:
- Anything involving AI vehicles except for maybe co-op takedown missions.
- The story
- They enjoy sim racing or arcade style racing without a learning curve
- They have no patience for occasional bugs involving loading loops, disconnects, and friendly cars not rendering

In conclusion The Crew is really only fun with friends or as Roadtrip Simulator 2014. Those two aspects can be quite the hoot though. Though the public PvP can be entertaining many other games serve the purpose much better. The Crew is a multiplayer open world car playground with some idiotic PvE content shoehorned in.

Joao Diniz Sanches hits the nail on the head

quote:

The Crew offers these moments of emergent gameplay for those willing to go find them but, tragically, doesn’t have them naturally stitched into its design upholstery. As such, the potential is too often unpicked by the game’s frustrating shortcomings. When it all comes together, and in the right company, what you’re left with is a good American road trip. But it could have been a great one.

Ubi/Ivory sadly missed the mark by not taking full advantage a great platform for social racing. Hopefully racing games take a tip from the simple matchmaking and tournament support of MOBAs.

Anyone who buys this silly game should add me on Uplay as Supereurobeat and play with the goon group especially if they have a mic.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 29, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Extra posted:

There are a few reasons why a person would want to buy the crew:
- Virtual road trips and pick up races with up to 3 pals
- Doing instanced road and offroad racing in PvP with up to 3 pals and 8 players total
- They enjoy arcade style racing with a learning curve

Here are some reasons why a person would not want to buy the crew:
- Anything involving AI vehicles except for maybe co-op takedown missions.
- The story
- They enjoy sim racing or arcade style racing without a learning curve
- They have no patience for occasional bugs involving loading loops, disconnects, and friendly cars not rendering

In conclusion The Crew is really only fun with friends or as Roadtrip Simulator 2014. Those two aspects can be quite the hoot though. Though the public PvP can be entertaining many other games serve the purpose much better. The Crew is a multiplayer open world car playground with some idiotic PvE content shoehorned in.

Joao Diniz Sanches hits the nail on the head

Ubi/Ivory sadly missed the mark by not taking full advantage a great platform for social racing. Hopefully racing games take a tip from the simple matchmaking and tournament support of MOBAs.

Anyone who buys this silly game should add me on Uplay as Supereurobeat and play with the goon group especially if they have a mic.
Taint reaped again!

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Great Joe posted:

for an imp you sure have poo poo opinions in video games

Great Joe posted:

Taint reaped again!

Hahaha man you hit rock bottom hard. Devolved from terrible criticisms to straight trolling and namecalling. Congrats joe, congrats. :golfclap:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

kuroiXiru posted:

Went back, got the prison bus on my second try, beat the story, finally uninstalled after 53 hours (without touching any kind of multiplayer). Good game, definitely worth the price, season pass/microtransactions and all. I'll definitely have another look at it in 2016.

It's kinda sad you didn't get to play it with a few buddies, the game takes on a whole new dimension once you get in a crew. (heh) The storyline is really silly and just a gateway to the different car specs and places to visit. Not sure if the game is going to get a whole lot of new content, I'm rather pessimistic about that.

By the way forwarding a few ports in your router makes it way easier to have other people in your play session: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/publishers/Ubisoft.htm

Hanging around the various circuits scattered across the map is also a great way to have improvised races with other players. Had a blast on Laguna Seca with a friend and 4-5 randoms yesterday. :)

Oglogoth posted:

Hahaha man you hit rock bottom hard. Devolved from terrible criticisms to straight trolling and namecalling. Congrats joe, congrats. :golfclap:

I get having preconceived notions about this game but that level of dedication towards hating something you barely played is beyond me though. :shobon:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Hahahaha man I just had the best time. I was doing some skills to get the level of my street Focus up when I cam across some douche in a Jeep blocking a jump skill ramp generally trying to put people off. SO I swappped to my Raid Hummer and just rammed the poo poo out of him, knocking him into fences and generally out of the way over and over until he warped away. The hummer is brilliant for this because it's a huge heavy pig and outweighs anything else. I got a good 5 minutes of counter douching before he called it quits, it was awesome. Then one of the other guys who was doing the jump invited me to his crew. He was level 8 and we did a bunch of the early missions together and he was a cool dude :3:

This game is brilliant if you just run with whatever happens rather than trying to stick inside it's own boundaries.

Also Great Joe you're hilarious man keep it up. :waycool:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 29, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This thread is like the SimCity thread, except everyone is that guy trying to convince they're really seriously having fun guys what do you mean I spent $60 on a turd gently caress you.

and I'm not mad. Just disappointed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm having a ton of fun with it. I just hate that the only time I get dropped from server is when I just finished something (usually getting gold), and then I get right back in, but the server always drops my progress and I have to do it again. :v:

But the cities look amazing and they're way more realistic and varied and unique than I expected. I've been to Dallas, NY, LA, Miami and a few others and they look really really accurate. Plus just generally driving around different states actually feels like the streets of that state. And the traffic and pedestrians are better than I expected from this kind of game, I keep feeling like I'm playing GTA and I want to get out of my car and jack somebody else's.

I've always wanted a racing game that used Google maps data so I could race my home streets. This is the closest I've ever gotten by far.

But fix the drat servers Ubi. Seriously.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

And the traffic and pedestrians are better than I expected from this kind of game, I keep feeling like I'm playing GTA and I want to get out of my car and jack somebody else's.

This has spoiled a big portion of GTA for me. How am I meant to go back to just driving around the GTA V island after this? I feel like Ubisoft should just sell the game world so someone can run with it and make a truly great open world game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Junkenstein posted:

This has spoiled a big portion of GTA for me. How am I meant to go back to just driving around the GTA V island after this? I feel like Ubisoft should just sell the game world so someone can run with it and make a truly great open world game.

That's kinda how I felt about GTAIV :ironicat:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've been playing this for a while now with Extra. This is a great game to gently caress around in, explore the ridiculously huge map, and do some fun pvp races.

The story, npcs, and pve can suck a dick. I do enjoy building up the cars and learning the different quirks they have. There's more variety between them than I originally thought.

It's also great because you can totally be competitive in this game using a keyboard if you tune the settings right and find a car that works for you. I'm a big fan of the Alfa 8c personally.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It's also great because you can totally be competitive in this game using a keyboard if you tune the settings right and find a car that works for you. I'm a big fan of the Alfa 8c personally.

I'm doing alright with the keyboard without having tweaked anything so far.

The Alfa 8C is great because it's light and it turns in so well that it ends up being kind of tail happy in tight bends, most other cars would tend to understeer more.

Another car I really like is the 2015 Mustang. It slides really nicely, doesn't properly let go too easily and is friendly for drifting about the place. Pity it's kinda slow for it's class.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Oglogoth posted:

I tried using cheat engine back in the beta but couldn't seem to get it to work. Though to be fair I didn't delve too deep, so it may be possible

I have a way of doing it, but it's bordering on :filez: so I don't want to discuss it here, PM me if interested I guess.

In game as BruceWayneIRL on uplay, add me if you wanna do roadtrip sim 2014 or some PVP or PVE or whatever.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm having a ton of fun with it. I just hate that the only time I get dropped from server is when I just finished something (usually getting gold), and then I get right back in, but the server always drops my progress and I have to do it again. :v:

But the cities look amazing and they're way more realistic and varied and unique than I expected. I've been to Dallas, NY, LA, Miami and a few others and they look really really accurate. Plus just generally driving around different states actually feels like the streets of that state. And the traffic and pedestrians are better than I expected from this kind of game, I keep feeling like I'm playing GTA and I want to get out of my car and jack somebody else's.

I've always wanted a racing game that used Google maps data so I could race my home streets. This is the closest I've ever gotten by far.

But fix the drat servers Ubi. Seriously.

Im mad that this game has Dallas but not Houston in it.

Great Joe posted:

This thread is like the SimCity thread, except everyone is that guy trying to convince they're really seriously having fun guys what do you mean I spent $60 on a turd gently caress you.

and I'm not mad. Just disappointed.

I think the strengths of this game lie in the exploration and road tripping. I am having fun in spite of the lovely rear end controls, because they are.

Junkenstein posted:

I still love driving around in GTA V. Except not in Los Santos. I hate driving in Los Santos. Its fun as gently caress to drive around near the Alamo Sea and near Paleto Bay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Im mad that this game has Dallas but not Houston in it.

I'm mad they have New loving Braunfels but not Austin. :wtf:

But yeah Houston would be cool too. Lots of good highways.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

:stare:

I'm playing with a force feedback Fanatec Porsche wheel, Clubsport H-shifter and pedals, and a racing cockpit.

Its like a whole other game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm mad they have New loving Braunfels but not Austin. :wtf:

Schlitterbahn, man

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Does anyone know why the hell challenges' (getaway, slalom, etc) time randomly runs out? This is getting on my nerves. I'll have 10 seconds left and BAM the challenge ends.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I have literally never had that happen, so no idea.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Ironsolid posted:

Does anyone know why the hell challenges' (getaway, slalom, etc) time randomly runs out? This is getting on my nerves. I'll have 10 seconds left and BAM the challenge ends.

:ubisoft: I'm guessing you've driven out of the range of the challenge? Most likely its inept programming.

Picked this game up against up after serious doubts because I was bored and people are right, the handling gets much, much better after you level. It's still not where it needs to be in a actual racing game; the game I feel the driving is closest too is GTA V, so if you are ok with the handling in that, you should be ok in this game.

What is really dumb was that they locked handling improvements behind the leveling. They should have kept the best handling as a base and gave power/braking upgrades as you leveled. honestly would have saved them so much grief in beta. There's no loving saving the rubberbanding though, poo poo is atrocious. All in all a pretty fun game that I don't regret spending money on.

E: Haha, I didn't think that ubisoft actually had its own emote, also not being able to remap keys is the dumbest loving thing

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lyer posted:

It's still not where it needs to be in a actual racing game; the game I feel the driving is closest too is GTA V
No joke, the handling model is sourced from Watch_Dogs. :ubisoft:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I got this for Xmas on PS4. It looks like the majority here is on PC but if anyone is on PS4 my PSN and Uplay is BadLeRo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lyer posted:

also not being able to remap keys is the dumbest loving thing

On PC you can remap keys. I guess you're on console? But most console games can't really change controller mappings..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I could remap keys for Gran Turismo, GTA V, and a bunch of other games, it's lovely that they couldn't/were too lazy to implement it in the console version.

Rubber banding really sucks rear end.

• Locked thread