Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
I'm building drones now for search and rescue purposes in OR!

By small camera drone you probably mean a quad copter, these are great, but consider a tricopter to save money and weight (if you are going to build it yourself, which I think is best). Good starting points for kits or plans would be the Simplecopter or RcExplorer's Tricopter V3. Understand you will get like 10 minutes power out of your battery, although you can of course charge your drone battery from your car battery.

A plane or glider may work better for photography, especially if you are interested in FPV. You'll have more weight and bulk, and landing will be harder, but the performance is vastly superior.

In either case, make sure to get an AMA membership card, and learn to fly at your local R/C field first!

If you want an autonomous solution that would fly itself and also do photography, get ready to spend thousands of dollars. Maybe in a decade my design will be complete, I am planning to release the software open-source, but that is really far into the future! For now I am just trying to get an OK tricopter built that is durable enough for the job at a cost of under $300 so I can start handing them out like candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What's more annoying drones or those people that blast music with those lovely backpack speakers? I'm legally allowed to beat the everloving poo poo out of both groups of people without any legal ramifications rights? No judge in the world would sympathize with them.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Pryor on Fire posted:

What's more annoying drones or those people that blast music with those lovely backpack speakers? I'm legally allowed to beat the everloving poo poo out of both groups of people without any legal ramifications rights? No judge in the world would sympathize with them.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've only encountered those twice, and one time they were carried by a super intense older European guy blasting Native American chants in the Catskills, which was so dang funny I didn't mind the disturbance.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Backpack speakers sound more annoying because why the gently caress would you even do that? Stick some headphones in if you want to listen to music, or y'know, don't bother with music.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Keldoclock posted:

I'm building drones now for search and rescue purposes in OR!

By small camera drone you probably mean a quad copter, these are great, but consider a tricopter to save money and weight (if you are going to build it yourself, which I think is best). Good starting points for kits or plans would be the Simplecopter or RcExplorer's Tricopter V3. Understand you will get like 10 minutes power out of your battery, although you can of course charge your drone battery from your car battery.

A plane or glider may work better for photography, especially if you are interested in FPV. You'll have more weight and bulk, and landing will be harder, but the performance is vastly superior.

In either case, make sure to get an AMA membership card, and learn to fly at your local R/C field first!

If you want an autonomous solution that would fly itself and also do photography, get ready to spend thousands of dollars. Maybe in a decade my design will be complete, I am planning to release the software open-source, but that is really far into the future! For now I am just trying to get an OK tricopter built that is durable enough for the job at a cost of under $300 so I can start handing them out like candy.

I don't want anything fancy, just something that'll get a vantage point of more than 6 feet off the ground for like 30 seconds. Fortunately where I live, there are hardly ever any other people encountered, so for those of you worried about me annoying others, it'll be a very rare occurrence, if it happens at all. There's been trips where I've gone 22km on foot and only encountered one other person.

But yeah, gently caress people with speakers. My friend tried to pull that once. I told her I'd never go anywhere with her again.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Time Cowboy posted:

super intense older European guy blasting Native American chants in the Catskills

That sounds really great actually.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Or just playing lovely music from their phones like it's a 1970s transistor radio.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Did a short hike up a peak in the east bay. Thanks to a cold front moving through, the wind made me feel like I was back in Idaho.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

beefnoodle posted:

Or just playing lovely music from their phones like it's a 1970s transistor radio.

I hate it when I come across people doing this.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Sometimes I'll hear a song and think for a moment "this for be perfect for when I'm hiking".

Then I remember that if I listen to music I can't listen to the mountain, and I quickly disregard the silly notion of hiking music.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Backpacking/hiking is a great time to listen to music and audiobooks especially if you have one of those old mp3 players that are tiny, weigh very little, built like a tank, and have battery lives measured in days. I definitely have albums that go with me on most trips--sure, being in a quiet forest is one thing, but if you're alone for several days, you will be in that forest for quite a long time, and throwing in some audio for part of it isn't going to detract from the experience.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I use a Sansa Clip for my audiobooks. It's pretty much perfect for hiking.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
If we meet on the trail please do not hold it against me if I'm quietly listening to my Old Dirty Bastard.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Discomancer posted:

Backpacking/hiking is a great time to listen to music and audiobooks especially if you have one of those old mp3 players that are tiny, weigh very little, built like a tank, and have battery lives measured in days. I definitely have albums that go with me on most trips--sure, being in a quiet forest is one thing, but if you're alone for several days, you will be in that forest for quite a long time, and throwing in some audio for part of it isn't going to detract from the experience.

I have no problem with people who want to listen to music or audio books while hiking. I have a problem with people who go hiking and blast their music over a speaker or from their phone. Put on some dam headphones. I go hiking to get away from all that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah people hike and backpack for different reasons and enjoy it in different ways, but I generally feel like an effort should be made to not infringe on other peoples enjoyment as much as possible. If you like listening to music, wear headphones, etc

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

A Kpro posted:

Did a short hike up a peak in the east bay. Thanks to a cold front moving through, the wind made me feel like I was back in Idaho.

I hiked Mission Peak in Fremont last week and the wind at the top was crazy. What peak did you climb?

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Been trying to get into winter hiking this year and after a few (aborted) trips it's become pretty obvious that I need some snowshoes. Anyone have any basic advice on what features to look for, some good brands etc? Even after doing some research online I'm having a tough time finding babby's first snowshoe guide. I'm about 180 pounds and planning on sticking to dayhikes.

Hypatias Homegirl
Nov 17, 2014

Re-gift anyone?

talktapes posted:

Been trying to get into winter hiking this year and after a few (aborted) trips it's become pretty obvious that I need some snowshoes. Anyone have any basic advice on what features to look for, some good brands etc? Even after doing some research online I'm having a tough time finding babby's first snowshoe guide. I'm about 180 pounds and planning on sticking to dayhikes.

Decent snow shoes often show up in used sporting good stores, thrift stores and garage sales. You can pick up something to try it out for not a whole lot of money. Gives you a good idea if you want to shell out more for something else. I found my partner a pair of Atlas snowshoes at a garage sale for $10 and mine are MSR Denali Ascents that I got at Valhalla Pure Outfitters on sale (like 40%). Between the two of us, our snowshoes didn't cost what one pair would cost new, and they've never failed us. We were snowshoeing in Banff National near Mosquito creek this weekend and had a blast. If you like winter hiking, I think you'll like snowshoeing.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
REI gear sale on 1/4/15 if you're from the states and live near one. Just show up early before everything is gone.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Garage sale that is. I'm tempted to go just to see if any dog stuff is on sale. I don't think my wife is really on board with trying to break the dog into backpacking but dammit I really want a dog pack...

last time I got a dog jacket that's normally $70 for $30 so :toot:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All I want for Christmas New Year's is an Arc'Teryx Gore-Tex shell for under $200.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Now I've gone on a few moderately difficult winter hikes with the trailrunners and I'm still loving them. As I've been using them, the advantages over hiking shoes and hiking boots have become very apparent. I definitely have a traction and comfort advantage over rocky terrain, and at the end of a hike you can feel the difference from having less weight on your foot. My first hike with trailrunners was a 9.4mi 4k gain grind that normally destroys me walking, I RAN up it and felt like I could do it again when I finished. I also find a significant advantage in how quickly they dry out; every situation so far that has led to a wet foot, has left my comrades in waterproof shoes/boots much worse off than me. I haven't even found a need to use waterproof socks yet, and my feet haven't seen a single drop of sweat. Lowest temp I've taken them down to is 10*F which was pushing it, but with an extra pair of socks I could see them handling 0. Traction is a bit sketchy in ice, and microspikes aren't as comfortable as they are on a shoe with a more solid upper, but they still get the job done and I had no issues trekking up hills that were glorified sheets of ice using spikes and trekking poles. I also find that in general, the ankle support isn't needed with an ultralight pack and trekking poles, but I'm also in my 20's. Anyone looking for a hiking shoe, or hiking boot should seriously give trailrunners a consideration, if you know how to play to their advantages they are amazing.

Most importantly, the calluses I was complaining about on my feet grow about 1/10th as fast as they were with boots.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 1, 2015

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Tigren posted:

I hiked Mission Peak in Fremont last week and the wind at the top was crazy. What peak did you climb?

I think we ended up near the top of Monument Peak. We did Mission Peak last year and we wanted something with fewer people. I'm sure the wind and the cold kept the people away more than anything.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone been snowshoeing near Estes Park lately, we are headed there tomorrow.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Ropes4u posted:

Anyone been snowshoeing near Estes Park lately, we are headed there tomorrow.

I haven't been up t ok Estes park since the flooding

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jadeddrifter posted:

I haven't been up t ok Estes park since the flooding

We hiked wild basin a bunch this summer I tend to lump them together. I hope to make it there tomorrow but haven't ever tried to snowshoe wild basin before and was hoping for a reliable road and trail condition report.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Ropes4u posted:

We hiked wild basin a bunch this summer I tend to lump them together. I hope to make it there tomorrow but haven't ever tried to snowshoe wild basin before and was hoping for a reliable road and trail condition report.

Sorry I can't provide you any reliable info. I would love to know how it goes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any recommendations for a set of snowshoeing/trekking poles that won't break the bank?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Any recommendations for a set of snowshoeing/trekking poles that won't break the bank?

If cabelas is near by you they almost always have some version of their aluminum pole on sale for 25 bucks. I have a pair that are going on three years

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
How good are they? I've been using ski poles abandoned by a friend as trekking poles because I'm A Poor and it would be nice to get something I can put on my backpack & actually be able to set my pack down without spending 100 dollars. Do they telescope/do they weigh a ton? 25 bucks is a good price for poles.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

If cabelas is near by you they almost always have some version of their aluminum pole on sale for 25 bucks. I have a pair that are going on three years

Nice. Will check em out next time I'm nearby.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

HEY VAPER posted:

How good are they? I've been using ski poles abandoned by a friend as trekking poles because I'm A Poor and it would be nice to get something I can put on my backpack & actually be able to set my pack down without spending 100 dollars. Do they telescope/do they weigh a ton? 25 bucks is a good price for poles.

My friend used the carbon collapsing poles from Costco this summer with no issues for over 400 miles. I think they're like 40 bux or less.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Wild basin continues to deliver outstanding hiking and now snowshoeing. Micro spikes would have handled 90% of the trail but hey whatever. Ran into some ice climbers in the way out, I really need to try that one day.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Does anyone here do any volunteering or get involved with environmental advocacy, etc?

I'd really like to get involved in that kind of stuff, maybe even go back to school for a forestry degree sometime in the future, but I'm just kind of getting started looking around. It's not really the time of year for it but volunteering with like the Appalachian Trail club around here it always seems like they're not looking for any more volunteers etc and I'd like to do more than just donate money.

So, just curious if anyone does some stuff along those lines and how they got started into it. Thanks!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm working on it myself, my major in university is ecotourism and outdoor leadership. Our backpacking course was basically "Here you're going to learn everything about Leave No Trace, and we're going camping too". Most of what we're going to school for is learning how to educate and empower others in the outdoors, especially youth. We do a lot of work with kids. I just finished a course that was designed specifically to teach an options class of Grade 8 students outdoor skills to go backpacking, and they'll be hiking the West Coast Trail later this year. One of my fellow classmates was actually in that class back when she was in Grade 8, and it inspired her to continue on in our program.

I hope when I graduate to get involved with Parks Canada, or Alberta/BC parks, either doing conservation work, public engagement, or trail maintenance. At this point, because of school and work, I haven't had the opportunity to go out of town to volunteer, but there is a chance I could do that for my degree practicum.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Not that I want anyone to apply and lower my chances but I figured I should remind everyone that The Enchantments lottery is coming up 2/15.

http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Enchantment_Permit_Area_Wa/r/wildernessAreaDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72280

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Does anybody have any experience with the Mt. Whitney lottery? I've got Whitney Portal lined up over July 4th, but I'd love to hike up and camp at maybe Lone Pine Lake or Mirror Lake for a night and head back down. What are my chances of actually getting a 1 day overnighter?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Noah posted:

Does anybody have any experience with the Mt. Whitney lottery? I've got Whitney Portal lined up over July 4th, but I'd love to hike up and camp at maybe Lone Pine Lake or Mirror Lake for a night and head back down. What are my chances of actually getting a 1 day overnighter?

No experience but they don't allow camping at Mirror Lake. It's pretty drat competitive for an overnighter even so because people will go up Whitney and down with one night. It's basically a complete open lottery so your odds really depend on how many people put in

Personally if you have extra time I'd look at going in Onion Valley and over Kearsarge pass to Kearsarge Lakes or something and then back out. Could even go into Rae Lakes if you want to go over Glenn Pass. It should be a lot easier to get a permit through Onion Valley

e: I'm not sure if you're saying they your plan would be to camp at Lone Pine Lake and then summit Whitney and back down the next day, or if you were just looking for another trip in that time period. If you can't get a Whitney permit but can take a little more time off, Onion Valley still remains a viable option to go in through, take a couple of days to get to and camp at Guitar Lake, and then summit and out in one day. It'd probably take 4 days 3 nights to do that unless your'e confident you can pull 20 miles or so and cut a day off

Levitate fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 28, 2015

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Levitate posted:

No experience but they don't allow camping at Mirror Lake. It's pretty drat competitive for an overnighter even so because people will go up Whitney and down with one night. It's basically a complete open lottery so your odds really depend on how many people put in

Personally if you have extra time I'd look at going in Onion Valley and over Kearsarge pass to Kearsarge Lakes or something and then back out. Could even go into Rae Lakes if you want to go over Glenn Pass. It should be a lot easier to get a permit through Onion Valley

e: I'm not sure if you're saying they your plan would be to camp at Lone Pine Lake and then summit Whitney and back down the next day, or if you were just looking for another trip in that time period. If you can't get a Whitney permit but can take a little more time off, Onion Valley still remains a viable option to go in through, take a couple of days to get to and camp at Guitar Lake, and then summit and out in one day. It'd probably take 3 days 4 nights to do that unless your'e confident you can pull 20 miles or so and cut a day off

Oh dang, thanks for the heads up on Mirror Lake. I'll take a look at Onion Valley, but I do have reservations booked for Whitney Portal. There's always labor day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I also think I saw a sign saying no camping at Lone Pine lake last year as I was finishing my JMT hike, but I"m not sure if that's accurate...might want to check with the rangers just to make sure. There is a big camping area not far from there though (just not all nice and secluded)