Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Grondoth posted:

I thiiink you have to change the fire mode for turrets. I don't use them cause I fight in an eagle and do no combat when I'm doin' other things, but I've heard they have a fire at will setting you need to switch to fire at your target.

I thought he was talking about the bug where sometimes things fire backwards, but I guess that's dumbfires, not cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This guy. This guy

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=90272

quote:

All in all i spent around 90 minutes in MP, attacking stations... before quickly getting destroyed by a security vessel while paused in the options menu looking for keybinds - which i could've done in solo mode anyway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Someone should reply him with galtse.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

That is some pretty lowgrade trolling, even for the official forums i'm amazed it got 8 pages.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Stanko-Prussian posted:

That is some pretty lowgrade trolling, even for the official forums i'm amazed it got 8 pages.

Yeah I'm reading the rest now and it does seem so, shame

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Despite server fuckery I made it to Pipe (Stem) Sector QY-RB4-4! It's dark.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

wow the Python is pretty insane to try and kill in a viper. It just seems like a so much better ship despite being twice the size

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah I'm reading the rest now and it does seem so, shame

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=90057

This one though... lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
lolin'

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hahah goddamn

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hell yeah :lol:

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

hogofwar posted:

Can't find any decent FSDs for my cobra, all I find are 4 LY range tops,

Remember that FSD's have classes just like weapons. For example anything under class 4 isn't suitable for a Type 6.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm not even sure what's going on here. Is it that he's so dumb that he doesn't realize that the fuel scoop isn't causing heat generation, or is he so dumb that he doesn't understand that you can accelerate in SC, or is it a combination of both dumbs to create one larger, much more profound dumb?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That guy has to be trollin

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Server seems to behaving itself again

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

KakerMix posted:

Ya looks like

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Thanks for the update! Wanted to wait it out for awhile.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I love Frontier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOoSsfU6cM

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Note to those who don't read the PG thread:
We're largely relocating to LTT 700 - It's an independent system with both federal and imperial presence and 8 total stations, and we're going to support the Imperials and try to get a huge-rear end civil war going in it.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Ha yeah the names can be great. This one I posted in PG for what ever reason makes it looks like the name is using characters your ship computer does not have installed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stevefin posted:

Ha yeah the names can be great. This one I posted in PG for what ever reason makes it looks like the name is using characters your ship computer does not have installed

Yeah, saw it. Seems that they don't have UTF support in game, probably due to font selection.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Game is still hosed. My Asp's cargo hold is still full of ghosts and is useless and unsellable (yeah I did create a ticket).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any idea what the absolute furthest jump range you can get is? In any ship.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Acquire Currency! posted:

Was going to ask this myself. Also what are good recommendations for exploration ships? I was thinking a Hauler would do a decent job because it has a longish jump range and a decent sized fuel tank for the price. Is needing to see out the windows that big a deal? (because apparently the Hauler has a problem with visibility). The Cobra crops up as a good all rounder but its more expensive to fit, would it be that much better?

Im wanting to go out to the edge more than closer to the middle of the galaxy so bigger jump range could be important, but really Id like to find some cool places not many people go.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Adder is great at starting exploration.

A good, cheap fit is to put "D" class everything except the FSD. With a class B FSD and D fittings you should hit ~20LY.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Effortpost incoming.

So a few days ago I saw someone in here mentioning the EDTracker, which is an Arduino-based accelerometer you stick on your head and use it for headtracking. I had some Christmas money, so I decided to order the parts and give it a go.

I picked the parts for mine up from Amazon, there's a lot of stores on there that stock the Arduino and the accelerometer boards. I have a benchtop CNC mill out in my garage and I ended up using that to cut the circuit board that connects them together. CNCing circuit boards is a pain in the rear end, but it was easier than etching.

The accelerometer board side, and my fugly custom board.

The Arduino side, and a sense of scale. It's a pretty small gadget. I had to run a bodge wire to a ground pin that my CNCing disconnected.

I cut a box for it as well, I used red oak and milled out the pocket for the bits. I also put the screws too close to the edges, so wood broke off because I fail.

After a coat of laquer. I slapped some velcro on there to attach it to the top of my headset.

Now, lessons learned. If you don't have the means to produce your own circuit board to slap the two together, you could use some hole-grid board from radio shack and wire it up manually. It'd be ugly, but it would work. The EDTrack guys are based in the UK, and sell stuff there. I'm not sure if they do international, but they sell the middle board themselves.

Make sure you get enough SIP headers (The connectors between the boards). The accelerometer board came with a header, but the seller on Amazon I got the Arduino from didn't include any, and I messed up ordering them on Mouser so I only got one. I had to build my own out of bodge wire for one side of the Arduino.

Make sure you download the drivers for the Sparkfun Pro Micro Arduino. The EDTrack guides don't really mention this.

The EDTrack software is quite good, but be aware that this thing is VERY temperture sensitive. The software tries to compensate for the left/right yaw motion of your head, as the sensors aren't perfect. But as the temperture of the device changes, this will get off. If it's bad, I have to recenter the thing every 15 minutes or so in game. Make sure you take your time doing the calibration steps that EDTrack has a guide for, it's more important than you think.

Overall, it's really neat. I've used other non-TrackIR headtracking systems before like a webcam and a bodged-up IR setup. This is much more accurate and easy to use than those.

Definately reccomend it if you've got the desire to do some tinkering, it's only around $50.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The Type-6 is a surprisingly good explorer - I think 30ly unladen range with no weapons, all Ds and A-grade FSD + 2A fuel scoop. Plenty of slots for scanners and I guess you can fit a class 4 scoop for faster refuelling.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xae posted:

The Adder is great at starting exploration.

A good, cheap fit is to put "D" class everything except the FSD. With a class B FSD and D fittings you should hit ~20LY.

I'm making the loop at about 1,000 ly in a cobra with 24 ly. I came to the realization that my type 6 might get great range kitted out right. There's an old official (October) post detailing a 43 ly capable type 6

Additionally the 6 can just loving sit on a star to refuel where the cobra has issues with a good sweet spot

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I seem to recall someone fitting an Anaconda out to 35+ly. I've got an Asp that can do out to a bit over 32 and a half. Asp is probably your best bet, because you can undersize some modules and still have adequate performance.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
My Type-6 does 29.9LY unladen with a class A FSD and no weapons. I could probably get a little bit more range out of it were it kitted only for exploration with minimal cargo but I'm not sure how much more.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

40s on Asp, I think, assuming role-functional unladen ship.

Edit: See Asp post above.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay but check this out

gently caress I bet this was nerfed too

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

kalstrams posted:

40s on Asp, I think, assuming role-functional unladen ship.

That was possible in one of the Betas, but I think they nerfed that since.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shipon posted:

That was possible in one of the Betas, but I think they nerfed that since.
I did saw your post after submitting mine and concluded that I did read old stuff. To be frank, though, early 30s on Asp do not sound entertaining.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Okay but check this out

gently caress I bet this was nerfed too

The interface on that screenshot looks old. This is most likely from the betas, and was since tweaked. I don't think you'll get more than 24-26 on an Adder.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pochoclo posted:

The interface on that screenshot looks old. This is most likely from the betas, and was since tweaked. I don't think you'll get more than 24-26 on an Adder.

Beta 2.06

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it was. A more recent post puts the asp at like 35 ly when kitted right. I think a big help to explorers would either be a ship designed for exploring or have the route planner be better. As it stands it takes a bit over an hour to hit 1,000 ly in distance. So about 25 to hit the galactic core and 50 hours for a round trip.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Yeah it was. A more recent post puts the asp at like 35 ly when kitted right. I think a big help to explorers would either be a ship designed for exploring or have the route planner be better. As it stands it takes a bit over an hour to hit 1,000 ly in distance. So about 25 to hit the galactic core and 50 hours for a round trip.

I think the big problem is the route planner. When I travel a long distance, it's usually 10 minutes of planning and galaxymapping and searching a web tool, and 5 minutes of actual in-game jumping.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pochoclo posted:

I think the big problem is the route planner. When I travel a long distance, it's usually 10 minutes of planning and galaxymapping and searching a web tool, and 5 minutes of actual in-game jumping.

Exactly! Additionally 3rd party nav tools don't cover these out there systems, but you can't blame anyone for that. The rout planner having the ability or a function to just directly hit one system you pick instead of trying to make the big bubble it does would make exploration easier and more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

KakerMix posted:

Frontier posted on their forums that thruster strength and overall ship weight directly affects your flight model. Lower weight plus stronger thrusters = better. This is definitely true, you can see it in cruising and boosting speed yourself. It'd this reason that I don't believe when people talk about the shield thing being a hard line, thrusters and ship weight aren't so why would shields be?

Yeah but the thruster tooltip says 'mass' and the shield one says 'hull mass'. It makes a kind of sense in that thrusters would care what your total mass is, but shields only care about the physical dimensions of your ship (your base hull mass, since adding mass is always internal stuff). Shields don't give a gently caress how heavy your ship is, only that the actual size of the ship is smaller than the size of the shield.

Then again I didn't make the game so what do I know? :downs:

• Locked thread