Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ethiser posted:

I kind of love how in Korean comics whenever some world spanning organization is brought up Korea is always one of or the strongest countries.

To be fair if there was ever going to be a super-being that derived his power through grinding ridiculous rpg stats, he would *absolutely* come from Korea. So that part is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ethiser posted:

I kind of love how in Korean comics whenever some world spanning organization is brought up Korea is always one of or the strongest countries.

That's a common point for every single media in every countries, nothing special about 'Korea' here.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Arkeus posted:

That's a common point for every single media in every countries, nothing special about 'Korea' here.
Yeah. Japan does the same thing. I love how world maps shown in Japan have Japan as the center of the map. Admittedly, though, the Japan-centered maps are better than the USA-centered maps (which split continents inconveniently). I find it rather interesting and fun to see how cultures view themselves as *the* culture. I think they should.

Anyway, this last chapter seemed to be more of a "setup" chapter for what's to come. We did get a bit of a reveal near the end, but more or less the whole thing was some big-time history/info dump along with preparing for the next thing. I almost wish the author/artist would wait two weeks and publish two chapters at once -- the setup and then what he setup.

Also, it appears there aren't any mages or what-not in South America at all.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That level of nationalism baffles me. Here in Chile our world maps are centered on the prime meridian as it should be.

And South America (except Brazil) literally always gets shafted in fiction, you just get used to it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
A lot of places in Asia/Oceania often use pacific centred mapping as it minimises projection distortion for their region. Perfectly logical. USA does the same thing with their America centred maps that cut Asia in half. Centring on the date line and Prime Meridian lines are also pretty common projections and fairly logical.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I prefer all my maps centered on Iceland because they're very pretty.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kyte posted:

That level of nationalism baffles me. Here in Chile our world maps are centered on the prime meridian as it should be.

And South America (except Brazil) literally always gets shafted in fiction, you just get used to it.

That real bummer. :smith:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Kyte posted:

Except the prime meridian runs through England because of nationalism. Well, nationalism and the fact that the British did definitive work to improve longitude calculation at sea.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Wittgen posted:

Except the prime meridian runs through England because of nationalism. Well, nationalism and the fact that the British did definitive work to improve longitude calculation at sea.

Yeah, we earned the right to be the centre of the world.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
No matter how much kudos you've earned, you still don't have the right to spell "center" as "centre" :v:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I know one of America's myriad hobbies is saying "yaa boo sucks" to the French, but we have to share a continent with them. With that in mind, I think we collectively decided not to mangle all of the words we stole.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Evil Thing posted:

I know one of America's myriad hobbies is saying "yaa boo sucks" to the French, but we have to share a continent with them. With that in mind, I think we collectively decided not to mangle all of the words we stole.

Last I checked you were on an island.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Clarste posted:

It's close enough to France for us to feel like we're right next to them. Which we basically are, really.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009

Kyte posted:

In a world where magic is real, countries with chupacabras, voodoo, and devil possessions don't get to be a world power. Shame on you The Gamer!

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Clarste posted:

Given that trains are going from Paris to London.... Not quite an island anymore :V

(The invasion plans are going well..) :3

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
When a train gets hijacked and crashed into the White House the terrorist will have won.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Wisdom starts to pay off almost immediately:

She tells him this not just once, but twice.

Seems the wisdom stat more or less gives you the ability to figure things out. Sort of like a detective.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dan7el posted:

Seems the wisdom stat more or less gives you the ability to figure things out. Sort of like a detective.

Don't forget to post the update! :)

http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/68/1/?all

I like this chapter a lot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So did he just never look closely at her ailment description, or what?

Either way that was really neat. I'm really hopeful the black guy doesn't end up as a throwaway villain.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Either way that was really neat. I'm really hopeful the black guy doesn't end up as a throwaway villain.

Oh no, it's a black guy! Truly, there is nothing more terrifying and villainous.

It's slightly unfortunate that the chapter ended on that panel, heh.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 2, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Are there even any black people in Korea? Gonna die next chapter to show how ridic he's gotten now.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dan7el posted:

I honestly want to bitch slap every single person who made a snarky comment like, "if he raises his wisdom he would only learn how wise it would be to not raise his wisdom." Through the internet.

BlitzBlast posted:

Probably, didn't have wisdom beforehand.

I guess more specifically probably never even looked it up on whatever counts for an Abyss wikipedia. Abyssipedia? In game descriptions tend to be bad (or even misleading) compared to how things mechanically work, and thus how the playerbase understands them.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Black brother whats uppppppppppppppp

What is wrong with this translator?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BlitzBlast posted:

The amount/quality of info in the description probably depends on the level of his observe skill.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

The Missing Link posted:

Black brother whats uppppppppppppppp

What is wrong with this translator?

Maybe he's black and is happy to see some representation

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"If they see life as a tool, then how are they different from monsters in games?"

Oh poo poo. It begins :stare:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

RatHat posted:

The amount/quality of info in the description probably depends on the level of his observe skill.

Well, the first time he observed her he basically got the same info.

quote:

A girl invaded by the Darkness attribute, and the Demonic attribute from birth. Affected by the innate curse, the Black Demon's Invasion, which constantly drains the body's life force. It's hard to live long even if she is given life force periodically.

He just either forgot it, didn't understand it, or assumed it was flavor text and not actually relevant.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Captain Bravo posted:

He just either forgot it, didn't understand it, or assumed it was flavor text and not actually relevant.

Yeah it just sounds like a magic disease there.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

SSNeoman posted:

"If they see life as a tool, then how are they different from monsters in games?"

Oh poo poo. It begins :stare:

You're nothing but XP and items to me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Bravo posted:

Yeah, so? It just means his observe skill still hasn't reached a high enough rank yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twiddy posted:

I honestly want to bitch slap every single person who made a snarky comment like, "if he raises his wisdom he would only learn how wise it would be to not raise his wisdom." Through the internet.

Probably, didn't have wisdom beforehand.

I guess more specifically probably never even looked it up on whatever counts for an Abyss wikipedia. Abyssipedia? In game descriptions tend to be bad (or even misleading) compared to how things mechanically work, and thus how the playerbase understands them.

I am angry. Angry about wisdom.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Are there even any black people in Korea? Gonna die next chapter to show how ridic he's gotten now.

Yes, there is. If you're interested in more foriegners in Korean media, then you might want to check out http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/92235653533/abnormal-summit-subbed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

YOU CAN'T REDUCE WISDOM YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
What if there's a character in the Abyss that can respec people? That seems plausible. Either that or a rare relic/shrine/etc that does the same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nahxela posted:

What if there's a character in the Abyss that can respec people? That seems plausible. Either that or a rare relic/shrine/etc that does the same.

I kind of doubt it considering Jee Han is the only guy with the ability to allocate stat points in the first place.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Nah, I don't mean literally only respeccing stat points, but things like how people might have an affinity towards some ability, or like how the Chunbu Moon guys can't cross the chi streams and only pick up that one type of chi channeling.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hell hath no fury like wisdom scorned.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Nahxela posted:

It's his mom. :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

booksnake posted:

It's his mom. :v:

Wait a second. Was the Temporary Magician confirmed as missing before his mom went to do whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The Lord of Hats posted:

Wait a second. Was the Temporary Magician confirmed as missing before his mom went to do whatever?

Yes. Temporary Magician is more than likely his dad, actually.