Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Pretty much everyone just said that Smash is great for having simple controls, but that doesn't mean it's an excuse for the game being poorly balanced. Poor competitive play can also affect casual play. Not even friends drinking beer in four-player free-for-alls like that guy who picks Diddy Kong over and over again for easy wins.

I don't think most people play the game to the point where diddy kong's OPness actually matters or is even noticeable, so I don't think your last statement is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

messagemode1 posted:

I don't think most people play the game to the point where diddy kong's OPness actually matters or is even noticeable, so I don't think your last statement is true.

Yeah, agreed. Diddy's definitely good, but he doesn't seem Meta Knight levels of good where he has nearly every good tool available to him at a very high skill floor. I mean, just effectively using the bananas strikes me as requiring way more thought than Meta's spin-to-win and laser priority.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Waverhouse posted:

Just balance around 1v1. If group smashing suffers because of it (I fail to see how that would be the case but lets assume) then who cares? 4 man free for alls are the default mode for the casual crowd (the ones who would care least about total balance), and competitive 2v2 has always been more a side show than a main attraction for the competitive set.

This would work great because even if it disrupts balance in a free-for-all setting, the final smashes provide an extra layer of balance. Fox dominating FFAs due to his speed and strong smashes? Reduce Landmaster time dramatically.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I had some 8 player smashes and there were players who like would actually walk off the stage and not realize what just happened

People are worse at games than you realize

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

you'd think after like the eighth time sakurai gets mistranslated and everyone blows up about it, that it would stop happening

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Kirby and Jigglypuff are fun as gently caress in For Glory Smash 4 man matches. I just beat some randoms three times in a row as Jigglypuff and by the 4th round the game was 3 Jigglypuffs and 1 Kirby [I had won as Kirby prior to Jigglypuff].

Fly around and down + b for cheap kills as Kirby, or fly around and Rest on anyone above 40%+, especially larger characters, and escape after getting woken up by an accidental bump in the process. Fly away, rinse repeat.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 1, 2015

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Spinning Robo posted:

you'd think after like the eighth time sakurai gets mistranslated and everyone blows up about it, that it would stop happening

You'd think that. But then again even if that were the case they'd just take his quotes wildly out of context anyway.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

The Bee posted:

Yeah, agreed. Diddy's definitely good, but he doesn't seem Meta Knight levels of good where he has nearly every good tool available to him at a very high skill floor. I mean, just effectively using the bananas strikes me as requiring way more thought than Meta's spin-to-win and laser priority.

Diddy has very, very good aerials - his up-air is particularly egregious - but his banana was severely nerfed from Brawl. Doesn't mean it's not still good, and he's clearly one of the best characters in the game, but not by much. I'd much rather fight a good Diddy than a good Yoshi.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pirate Jet posted:

Pretty much everyone just said that Smash is great for having simple controls, but that doesn't mean it's an excuse for the game being poorly balanced. Poor competitive play can also affect casual play. Not even friends drinking beer in four-player free-for-alls like that guy who picks Diddy Kong over and over again for easy wins.
There are no characters in this game that are obnoxious enough for anyone sane to get mad at someone else for choosing them.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
There is no way Diddy is on the same level of Brawl MK, or Melee Fox/Falco.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 1, 2015

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

IronicDongz posted:

There are no characters in this game that are obnoxious enough for anyone sane to get mad at someone else for choosing them.

As a someone who mains Jpuff, it was hilarious to watch people complain about Little Mac those first few weeks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

There is no way Diddy is on the same level of Brawl MK. Hell he's probably Melee Fox/Falco.

Diddy is tough in the hands of a good player cause he has deceptively good range on his stuff. That movie where he front flips in one direction gets me so much cause I always underestimate it. It's easy for players to gently caress up his recovery though, and you can blast the jetpack off of him.

Yoshi is far more annoying to fight. Everything he does has priority over my stuff (at least as Bowser Jr. I dunno how he is against other characters). His running kick has stupid long range too. His eggs are obnoxious! Gah! he's annoying to fight.

SeANMcBAY posted:

As a someone who mains Jpuff, it was hilarious to watch people complain about Little Mac those first few weeks.

I'm not normally a person that stands to the side and waits for someone to approach me. I get all up in the action, and Little Mac players were destroying me. Until you learn how stupid Little Mac players are and will throw themselves off the side if you're on the ledge almost to the point that that's what they want to happen.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

"Have you ever made a game?" was really Sakurai pouring salt on wounds from the failed Air Dash Online.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

"Have you ever made a game?" was really Sakurai pouring salt on wounds from the failed Air Dash Online.

Turns out without the Nintendo characters nobody would give a poo poo about Smash

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Turns out without the Nintendo characters nobody would give a poo poo about Smash

That was literally the reason it became a Nintendo crossover in the first place.
Though I wouldn't mind other companies trying an actually good clone of Smash or Power Stone.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Secret Sakurai fighter project, confirmed.

http://youtu.be/QyH5qI0-D8g?t=37s

PC Mod for Ultra SF4 Omega

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
That looks pretty dope. Shame the guy in the video is a screaming idiot.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Mayflash is making their own Wii U adapter. It's not available for sale yet, but it should be coming soon. Mayflash has a good reputation so these would be a really solid second choice if you can't find a first party adapter.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Can you complete the "Clear Classic at intensity 7.0 or higher with all characters" challenge by doing it co-op? I don't want to waste mine and my buddy's time if it HAS to be solo.

p.s. Anyone have any advice for beating Classic on 9.0 without dying? I get really close, but Master Core always finds a way to kill me.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Reinanigans posted:

p.s. Anyone have any advice for beating Classic on 9.0 without dying? I get really close, but Master Core always finds a way to kill me.

With or without customs?

With, go for things that reward first strikes and try for pure power builds, maybe some defense to counteract the drops you get.

Without, I recommend Bowser Jr. His up special is fantastic against Master Core, his side special can help with the stupid maze at the end, and he's a really good character for the fight up to Master Core once you practice with him.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The translation is still bad. I read the original Japanese statement and he is pretty much making GBS threads on competitive smash, something that he's done many times and is very outspoken about. People are attempting to cast him in a better light than he is (something that always happens whenever he says stupid poo poo) because people can't just accept that he's sort of a kooky weirdo.

The exact line is "仮に、スマブラをガチ方面だけに振ってしまうとゲーム自体の未来がありません", which directly translates to "If you try to play Smash as a competitive game, it has no future." The "It has no future" part is the kind of phrasing you use when you say "You have no future in this company" or "I'm going to murder you, you have no future".

Edit: A closer direct translation may be: "If you try to Swing smash as a seriously competitive game, it has no future". You can sort of translate "swing" as "think of" so there's also the translation "If you try to think of smash as just a seriously competitive game, it has no future", which is sort of a problem considering how really the only people playing Brawl and Melee nowadays are people who play it competitive and have been playing it competitively for 13 years in Melee's case.

Regardless of the mistranslation or what his words directly mean, Sakurai is literally, in plaintext, saying that playing smash competitively is a zero sum game, which is why people are mad, because he's basically just trying to justify his extremely outspoken negative stance towards any sort of actual competition in his games. He has a very strange cult of personality that never seemed to make any sense to me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

IDK about that, most of the people I've played with at Regionals tend to dislike Nintendo/only play Smash for the mechanics. I think the competitive community is actually hankering for a non-nintendo game with Smash mechanics. A lot of people would like to separate from Nintendo. At large though, yeah, Smash sells because it has Mario and Pikachu and Link on the cover.

laplace fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 2, 2015

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Yo join my game for fight

BuckFitches
Mar 3, 2014
I'm psychic guys. i somehow predicted Nintendo would gently caress all da game-cube controller stuff up.

I'm glad i bout 4 and the adapter when i had the chance.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

That's insanely hosed up, and I don't respect any of those people who play Smash "just" for the unique style of game it is.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

mabels big day posted:

That's insanely hosed up, and I don't respect any of those people who play Smash "just" for the unique style of game it is.

You have to admit that the game is fun, even if you don't know or like any of the characters. But you're right, it's really dumb. How'd these people even get into the game if they dislike Nintendo in general?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wish someone would straight up tell him the thing he wants is literally impossible to achieve. Unless you remove or limit a player's ability to perform actions in the game, the more skilled player will do more effective actions and gain an advantage, regardless of the random poo poo that spawns.

The only way he'll get his dream game is if he randomly completely removed the ability of the better player to do anything in the game, like what happens in Magic: the Gathering sometimes with mana flood/screw. And a video game that did that would be loving awful, a similar thing (tripping) was hated by the majority of people that played Brawl.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

You have to admit that the game is fun, even if you don't know or like any of the characters. But you're right, it's really dumb. How'd these people even get into the game if they dislike Nintendo in general?

They played it at a friends house and were taught how cool its mechanics were, and then picked a character who's mechanics were interesting.

Like most fight games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i think its just kind of hosed up to dislike nintendo, in general

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

laplace posted:

They played it at a friends house and were taught how cool its mechanics were, and then picked a character who's mechanics were interesting.

Like most fight games.

That makes me want to loving vomit.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I don't like the hurricane sword with an eye on it. It kills me everytime and I cry.

too op nerf please.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i think its just kind of hosed up

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

I wish someone would straight up tell him the thing he wants is literally impossible to achieve. Unless you remove or limit a player's ability to perform actions in the game, the more skilled player will do more effective actions and gain an advantage, regardless of the random poo poo that spawns.

The only way he'll get his dream game is if he randomly completely removed the ability of the better player to do anything in the game, like what happens in Magic: the Gathering sometimes with mana flood/screw. And a video game that did that would be loving awful, a similar thing (tripping) was hated by the majority of people that played Brawl.
I wish more than that he could somehow explain his weird thing wrt people who are better at games, winning at games. And yeah, like someone said before, things like strong items(and even tripping!) don't really even the playing field because the better players are going to take advantage of them more and snowball to victory even harder 9 time out of 10.

mabels big day posted:

weird

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurai's just really bad at explaining things, even in Japanese. He's a strange alien who's unable to fully grok human language.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What if he's-- what if Sakurai is actually a Casual? :ohdear:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mabels big day posted:

I wonder how often it happens in other games/genres. I guess I understand it and similarly wanting to like something like for example, Mario Kart but can't get into the specific veneer the games are coated in. Or like how some people might really be into the mechanics of Bayonetta the game, but are put off by Bayonetta herself for some reason.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, no one plays Street Fighter because of the story. A lot of people play JRPGs because they like turn based combat. It's not that weird to play Smash because you like playing it rather than because it has Link in it.

Alternatively, lots of people play games just because they have characters they like. It goes both ways, but I think there's a lot to be said about having good enough mechanics that stand out moreso than just whatever character or aesthetic is in at the time. Soul Calibur 2 is a pretty good example, lots of people just bought that game because it had Link in it, but it held up because it was... just a good game with excellent gameplay systems that people still play. I think that's where a lot of the competitive community have frustrations, they feel Smash 4, while better than brawl, still doesn't have the kind of depth that makes it a good party game AND a good, long lasting competitive game. At least, that's what most of the complaints I read/hear are like.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I wonder how often it happens in other games/genres. I guess I understand it and similarly wanting to like something like for example, Mario Kart but can't get into the specific veneer the games are coated in. Or like how some people might really be into the mechanics of Bayonetta the game, but are put off by Bayonetta herself for some reason.
"for some reason"?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

laplace posted:

I mean, no one plays Street Fighter because of the story. A lot of people play JRPGs because they like turn based combat. It's not that weird to play Smash because you like playing it rather than because it has Link in it.

Alternatively, lots of people play games just because they have characters they like. It goes both ways, but I think there's a lot to be said about having good enough mechanics that stand out moreso than just whatever character or aesthetic is in at the time. Soul Calibur 2 is a pretty good example, lots of people just bought that game because it had Link in it, but it held up because it was... just a good game with excellent gameplay systems that people still play. I think that's where a lot of the competitive community have frustrations, they feel Smash 4, while better than brawl, still doesn't have the kind of depth that makes it a good party game AND a good, long lasting competitive game. At least, that's what most of the complaints I read/hear are like.

i thought people bought it because ivy has huge fuckin tits

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Street Fighter's storyline is one of honor and friendship and I would personally rank it higher than The Great Gatsby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

i thought people bought it because ivy has huge fuckin tits

that too :eyepop:

laplace fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 2, 2015

• Locked thread