Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melan
Jun 25, 2005
Against the Frogs

jBrereton posted:

Did a second and subsequent part of The Cassandra Complex ever get made?
No. The missions the creators storyboarded were too ambitious for the available technology, and the effort petered out when they realised they couldn't get the first real mission (a level featuring the fake moon landing set as designed by Stanley Kubrick, and the subsequent cleanup op which killed off most witnesses) working after they'd spent ages working on it.

Who knows, though. Several years later, other people turned The Nameless Mod from a forum in-joke into a functional, complex, actually enjoyable campaign, so they might have just given up too easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The problem with the Nameless Mod's city is its just too loving massive. The first thing I do is give myself the aug to speed through it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The problem with the Nameless Mod's city is its just too loving massive. The first thing I do is give myself the aug to speed through it.

True to the first part, "how" to the second.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

True to the first part, "how" to the second.

You can spawn aug canisters in the console, they're pretty random as to what you get so you might have to spawn multiples. Then you just need to find a medbot (the closest is inside the forum moderator building) or spawn a medbot.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's the game engine for the next Deus Ex.

It's called the Dawn Engine, and it's based off the tech used in Hitman Absolution. It looks pretty snaz.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Here's hoping the Dawn Engine doesn't run on ios/android.

edit: woo, exclusively for PCs and latest consoles.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Here's hoping the Dawn Engine doesn't run on ios/android.
Don't worry, it won't because they'll just use Unity for mobile spinoff games.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

My favorite thing about the game is that I always took Paul at his word and left out the window, taking it as dramatic steering of the story / giving JC the motivation to take down MJ12. Then 5-6 years later, in my fourth or fifth playthrough, I decide what the gently caress, I'm going down with poor hapless Paul. Only he lives and says he'll see me around. I was absolutely dumbfounded. At least in earlier playthroughs I'd managed to warn the arms dealer before Gunther could get to him.

That whole setpiece (like most of the DX setpieces) was so well-designed. You come into Hell's Kitchen and everything's a little too quiet, and if you drop into the bar and poke at her enough, the ex-specops ops bartender straight-up tells you that you've been made and are about to walk into a trap. Part of it must have been about level economy but I really loved the repeat visits around New York, first as lawman and then as fugitive. The level design lends itself so perfectly to the conceit - all the tricks you learned breaking into places (like the back alley at the Ton) get put to use in breaking out of them. That more than anything gives Denton the aura of a superspy - his enemies think they have him dead to rights but they don't know the turf like he does, and so he outsmarts them.

This post gave me warm fuzzies.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The Kins posted:

Here's the game engine for the next Deus Ex.

It's called the Dawn Engine, and it's based off the tech used in Hitman Absolution. It looks pretty snaz.

the_shit_that_gets_my_dick_hard.jpg

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hitman Absolution had really bad level design, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the graphics. They were loving awesome.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I hope that is a shot from the game, because I really liked the black and gold motif. I hope it returns if we are closer to HR than DE1 in terms of the timeline.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah the art style in the new game was so good.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
gently caress yes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gyshall posted:

Yeah the art style in the new game was so good.

Definitely. It was cohesive and pursued some sort vision that was at least partially rooted in reality. It was a very interesting, tactile aesthetic.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
How did everyone feel about the light gold filter applied to everything that the original had? I've only played the Director's Cut so all I know is that it was something removed from DC. I've only seen the original played on a 360 so it didn't seem fair to compare that to the visuals on my PC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It looked like crap and added little to the visuals. I pretended it was just the inside of Adam's shades tinting everything and not an omnipresent "the future is yellow" color filter. If this one runs on the Hitman Absolution engine it will probably look like someone ran the game through an instagram filter or two or three, but let's hope they don't delve into that aspect of it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Speaking of the DC, I can't believe how much more tolerable the Barrett fight is in the Director's Cut. I'm still not a huge fan of the whole concept of the boss fights (or Jensen just casually walking through the room like it's nothing, allowing him to get ambushed in the first place) but if we've gotta have them, the DC version is so, so much better.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pope Guilty posted:

Speaking of the DC, I can't believe how much more tolerable the Barrett fight is in the Director's Cut. I'm still not a huge fan of the whole concept of the boss fights (or Jensen just casually walking through the room like it's nothing, allowing him to get ambushed in the first place) but if we've gotta have them, the DC version is so, so much better.

Haha, yeah, I've said it before, but the cinematic disconnect between player mannerisms and cutscene-Jensen's mannerisms was obnoxious at times.

Spends previous six hours silently wriggling through air ducts like a greased-up worm, evading everything he comes across.
Sees ominously lit warehouse ahead.
Brazenly strolls into the middle of the place, where he proceeds to get the poo poo kicked out of him by a hulking cyborg man who "sneaks" up on him by clomping into melee range.

I mean, I sort of understand why they wanted to put the character through scenarios like that, but I wish they would have done a better job giving reasons for how it gets to that point. Like, when you get ambushed shortly after arriving at an LZ and before you can really do anything, that makes a lot more sense than when you've spent a painstaking amount of time infiltrating a compound when cutscene-Jensen suddenly decides to start stomping around the place.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 5, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They did manage to include an alternate stealth cutscene for when you use the air ducts to snoop on Tong in the Hive. There may have been more planned like that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Haha, yeah, I've said it before, but the cinematic disconnect between player mannerisms and cutscene-Jensen's mannerisms was obnoxious at times.

Spends previous six hours silently wriggling through air ducts like a greased-up worm, evading everything he comes across.
Sees ominously lit warehouse ahead.
Brazenly strolls into the middle of the place, where he proceeds to get the poo poo kicked out of him by a hulking cyborg man who "sneaks" up on him by clomping into melee range.

I mean, I sort of understand why they wanted to put the character through scenarios like that, but I wish they would have done a better job giving reasons for how it gets to that point. Like, when you get ambushed shortly after arriving at an LZ and before you can really do anything, that makes a lot more sense than when you've spent a painstaking amount of time infiltrating a compound when cutscene-Jensen suddenly decides to start stomping around the place.

All the bosses have CASIE augs, obviously.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Replayed this again last month, got to the part in Area 51 where Bob Page encourages you to jump into that massive turbine. I died laughing, then desperately wished there was more of this side of him in the game.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I want to go back and play HR again, but I'm still sore after basically hoarding the whole game and using no items, and then the game ending about ten hours earlier than I expected it to.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I am planning to save up some weapon upgrades for use at a later date. If I leave them in Paul's apartment (or wherever but why not Paul's apartment) will they remain there till my last visit? I have played this game a squillion times but I honestly can't remember if objects persist or not.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
They do if you just leave the map and come back, but if you make story progress and return to find that time has passed, the map has actually been replaced with a completely different one, and any items you dropped will disappear. Shifter has a feature that makes JC's office in UNATCO HQ an exception to this, and I think it may have been extended to Paul's closet in later versions, but you'd have to look it up to find out for sure.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
You can't trust housekeeping with your valuables, really.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Janitor seems alright though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

horse mans posted:

I want to go back and play HR again, but I'm still sore after knocking out and putting every single cop from the police station into one bathroom stall and getting zero recognition from the devs for doing this in the form of an achievement.

Yup.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fuckpot posted:

So I am planning to save up some weapon upgrades for use at a later date. If I leave them in Paul's apartment (or wherever but why not Paul's apartment) will they remain there till my last visit? I have played this game a squillion times but I honestly can't remember if objects persist or not.

which weapon are you holding out for?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

fleshweasel posted:

which weapon are you holding out for?

Lo'Bruto. Might not even be moddable.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

horse mans posted:

I want to go back and play HR again, but I'm still sore after basically hoarding the whole game and using no items, and then the game ending about ten hours earlier than I expected it to.

But they had to use that dev time to shove zombies in there man

e: I just remembered that I did a playthrough where I just hoarded as many candy bars as I could so I had a full inventory of them by that point and just went on a hardcore knockout spree on all the zombified augs. it was pretty cool

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Blasting mobs with the PEPS after hoarding ammo was also worthwhile

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hard Clumping posted:

I just remembered that I did a playthrough where I just hoarded as many candy bars as I could so I had a full inventory of them by that point and just went on a hardcore knockout spree on all the zombified augs. it was pretty cool

I did similar, but with the grenade launcher. :haw:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Hey guys, can anybody help me with something? I recently decided to do a new run of Deus Ex and reinstalled it with New Vision, HDTP and Shifter for the first time. The new textures work just fine (game looks brand new, drat!) but I'm not sure Shifter is totally working like it's supposed to. I just finished Liberty Island and went back to UNATCO to try out the new EMP Discharge aug but when I bring the aug menu up with a medibot it says my options are Combat Strength and Microfibral Muscle, like usual. Is that how it's supposed to be or is something screwed up somehow? It doesn't show any levels for the flashlight augmentation either, but other updates (like XP on stealth takedowns, not picking up yet another loving knife when I have my baton, etc.) do work.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
It's because you haven't installed Biomod, which adds the functionality you are describing. Biomod is all you need to install because it also adds the Shifter enhancements. Everyone including new players should be playing with Biomod. gently caress vanilla it makes the augs next to useless.

Also I can confirm that items persist if you leave them in JC's office at UNATCO HQ. They even get stacked neatly on your shelf.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

get pills against my orders

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Some more HDTP wonders:

Please notice me, Agent Denton, s-s-senpai :sweatdrop:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Transient People posted:

Hey guys, can anybody help me with something? I recently decided to do a new run of Deus Ex and reinstalled it with New Vision, HDTP and Shifter for the first time. The new textures work just fine (game looks brand new, drat!) but I'm not sure Shifter is totally working like it's supposed to. I just finished Liberty Island and went back to UNATCO to try out the new EMP Discharge aug but when I bring the aug menu up with a medibot it says my options are Combat Strength and Microfibral Muscle, like usual. Is that how it's supposed to be or is something screwed up somehow? It doesn't show any levels for the flashlight augmentation either, but other updates (like XP on stealth takedowns, not picking up yet another loving knife when I have my baton, etc.) do work.
That's because you didn't replace DeusEx.int with the one from Shifter. All of the actual functionality of the mod will work in that state, but a lot of UI stuff will not be updated, which would be very confusing.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I thought I was supposed to make a separate Shifter folder, make a System subfolder and put the modded Int, U and FR files in there? Also, isn't Biomod incompatible with Shifter 1.9? People on moddb were talking as if they didn't go together.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Biomod and Shifter aren't separate mods. Biomod is Shifter+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
And check that you have latest version of Deus Exe, only 6.2+ supports .int files which previously you had to put in the Deus Ex\System-folder and overwrite the original file.
Now just extract BioMod/Shifter into its own directory and check from Deus Exe that it has detected the directory.