Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I think the Ork boyz box had ten bases, but could actually build 11 models (10 boyz+nob)? I do definitely remember that in the end there were enough parts for 11 models, and the box was pretty good value - like all Ork kits, it had a shitload of extra bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I've never understood why GW never did a "advance" line of miniatures, like a Leman Russ that had the moveable tank tracks, and then the interior completely done. It makes no sense. Honestly if they did that with Tau and others people other than Wargamers would buy them. Some people just like to put poo poo together.

Because, despite their claims to be selling premium jewel-like objects of wonder, GW actually doesn't care about selling anything that doesn't lead to "buy a whole mess of highly overpriced space mans/fantasy dudes".

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Why isn't there a tabletop wargame that can be played with gundam models?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There used to be a fanmade one for the mediocre plastic action figures that the US saw years ago. But Wargames aren't a big thing in Japan AFAIK. Of course, maybe in X years when technology advances, we can have the Gunpla "Tabletop wargame" from Gundam Build Fighters. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bucnasti posted:

Well the kick starter Robotech game just came out. I'm sure you could use full sized models for it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You can technically use Mobile Frame Zero, but it assumes a larger scale and smaller models.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's purely a space thing. Japanese houses and apartments are small and the standard dining room table is similar to a square coffee table. It might be 4x4, but generally theyre a hair over 3x3. Japanese games are rarely sprawling and even their game consoles have traditionally had shorter controller cords.

They enjoy physical games and modeling quite a bit. They just prefer keeping it somewhat reigned in in terms of space. Im sure its one of the reasons the collectible card market was so big over there even before Mtg and Pokemon. And video games for that matter.

Hell even their comic book format was more compact.

Infinity, necromunda, and warmahordes stand a much better chance. Though their designed space and terrain requirements makes them a hassle in comparison to a nice compact board or card game.

Youd have to take the travelhammer idea with epic scale minis and formalize support for it.

And then youll be behind the quality curve.

Old guys over there did play with extremelt realistic and detailed 10-15mm tanksfor historical wargames. But japan being japan, i always found those guys incredibly creepy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

I dunno about scales and such, but you could probably try Ganesha Games' "Samurai Robots Battle Royale" game with the Gundam models. They also have a "Mighty Monsters" game for the Godzilla enthusiasts, and I'm pretty sure they are somewhat interchangeable if you want to have giant robots vs. giant monsters. :cool:

E: Ah, here we go, from the product page (emphasis mine):

Ganesha Games posted:

Samurai Robots Battle Royale can be played on an average dinner table using any models you already own, including toy robots and paper figures, in any scale.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

JcDent posted:

The difference is that Gundam has a 10 year headstart

Actually Bandai started doing plastic models around the same time GW did, and a surprising number of the people who buy the models don't watch the shows outside of the "I wonder what's on TV right now" factor.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

JcDent posted:

When I was thinking about getting infinity, I was thinking about starter + expansion box, same for girlfriend, so 20 manz in all, for a sum total of 17K yen (close to 170 bucks). Pricey, yes. But that would basically be all the manz I need.

40K: $160 is the closest thing to guard starter, if you're going for shizo half Vet mech list. Basically none of the IG boxes work without going vet... and probably barely scrape 500pts, which hasn't been a viable value for years. Oh, and Guardsman squad doesn't come with plasma guns, because gently caress you.

Yeah I priced out buying a tournament competitive guard army (at the time anyway they are probably useless now in the face of Knights) and it was $800. I ended up going necrons instead and then watched GW basically throw my entire army in the garbage with the next codex.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I posted as such in the 40K thread during the whole Blood Angels chat but it strikes me as incredibly, blatantly, obviously dysfunctional to have a game that asks you to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on playing pieces that you have to laboriously hand-assemble and paint which can then be rendered invalid or illegal or otherwise upended with the changing of editions. I mean, I know a lot of warhams like to be self-deprecating about how much money or time they spend on an army but it seems genuinely crazy that there's a game out there where your three- or four-figure army can be errata'd into illegality or uselessness as the people writing the game lurch from one set of rules to the next with no real rhyme or reason, and that this is considered business as usual, just part of the game y'know?

It's one thing when a roleplaying game changes editions because whatever, imaginary characters cost nothing. Video games can get patched in ways that fundamentally change their gameplay, sure, but those patches don't usually cost you hundreds of dollars so while it can definitely be frustrating often the main cost, if any, is time spent re-learning how to do stuff. Annoying, but bearable. When a game expects you to invest shitloads of money and hobby-hours just to have the pieces necessary to play in the first place though, I would think the expectation would be that rules changes and amendments wouldn't be tossed out so cavalierly considering the comparatively massive investment players have to make just to get started.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Obviously it'd be absurd to expect fully articulated Imperial Guard or whatever, but really getting into gunpla after playing Warhammer is a legitimate shock just in value alone. Like, the most expensive gundam kit I own is a big special edition figure of a super iconic character's mech with tons of detail. The fact that that figure and all its silly 'hey nerds everyone loves this guy so let's just add a zero to the yen price of this poo poo' markup is STILL cheaper than starting a decent sized GW army just with the basics is absurd. GW doesn't have the huge fanbase gundam has, no, but they're super in a position where this poo poo shouldn't cost an arm and a leg just to START anymore.

Are you talking about this 15-inch monstrosity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXF9l0mtS9A

MSRP: ¥16000 or $133.47 USD
+¥12000/$100.19 if you want the kit of 30 LEDs, wiring, and PCB that allows for both on/off settings and various programmed animated light-up sequences.

Height: 361mm
Comes with display stand and all pictured weapons.

Literally 50% taller than a Warhound Titan, half the price at most, and doesn't require anything more than sprue nippers and an afternoon.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If I ever did get into a Warhammer minis wargame with some friends (and let's be honest, starting from scratch sounds kinda :suicide:) I'd probably import as many cheaper/already-owned figures as I could get away with. ("Already-owned" in this case would be figures from Descent/Starcraft/Chaos in the Old World.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NGDBSS posted:

If I ever did get into a Warhammer minis wargame with some friends (and let's be honest, starting from scratch sounds kinda :suicide:) I'd probably import as many cheaper/already-owned figures as I could get away with. ("Already-owned" in this case would be figures from Descent/Starcraft/Chaos in the Old World.)

But then you couldn't play in the official tournaments that...oh. Right. There are no official tournaments and it 'isn't a competitive game'. Carry on!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Night10194 posted:

But then you couldn't play in the official tournaments that...oh. Right. There are no official tournaments and it 'isn't a competitive game'. Carry on!

I just can't fathom how much denial goes in the head of a rabid GW loyalist. Tournaments dropped, Golden Daemon dropped, minis are always getting cheaper points wise... It's fine guys, business as usual.

And here I'm worried about point pricing decrease in Infinity :ohdear: Maybe I'm just more paranoid.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JcDent posted:

I just can't fathom how much denial goes in the head of a rabid GW loyalist. Tournaments dropped, Golden Daemon dropped, minis are always getting cheaper points wise... It's fine guys, business as usual.

And here I'm worried about point pricing decrease in Infinity :ohdear: Maybe I'm just more paranoid.

Games Day dropped. Let's not forget that one.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Tournaments, rules, fluff, 'the game': these things are just distractions from the hobby of buying the full range of premium Games Workshop Citadel® offerings.

Look, this is a luxury hobby, nobody needs this stuff anyway. Games Workshop can do absolutely anything they please and it wouldn't matter as long as they keep providing our community the opportunity to purchase such fine products.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's your favorite? My favorite is blocky misshappen guy in lovely looking armor with the frowny face. But you might prefer blocky misshappen guy in lovely looking armor with a beaky face.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I posted as such in the 40K thread during the whole Blood Angels chat but it strikes me as incredibly, blatantly, obviously dysfunctional to have a game that asks you to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on playing pieces that you have to laboriously hand-assemble and paint which can then be rendered invalid or illegal or otherwise upended with the changing of editions. I mean, I know a lot of warhams like to be self-deprecating about how much money or time they spend on an army but it seems genuinely crazy that there's a game out there where your three- or four-figure army can be errata'd into illegality or uselessness as the people writing the game lurch from one set of rules to the next with no real rhyme or reason, and that this is considered business as usual, just part of the game y'know?

I brought this point up in another 40K thread and was meant with the smug response of that doesn't count because even thought your entire army has been made invalid, all of the actual models are still usable in some capacity so it's all good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Broken Loose posted:

Are you talking about this 15-inch monstrosity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXF9l0mtS9A

MSRP: ¥16000 or $133.47 USD
+¥12000/$100.19 if you want the kit of 30 LEDs, wiring, and PCB that allows for both on/off settings and various programmed animated light-up sequences.

Height: 361mm
Comes with display stand and all pictured weapons.

Literally 50% taller than a Warhound Titan, half the price at most, and doesn't require anything more than sprue nippers and an afternoon.

Haha no actually, I was talking about the $100ish Sazabi that just came out a bit ago, but yea even going into the total 'luxury' sets like the Perfect Grade stuff you're still getting way more bang for the buck.

S.J. posted:

Games Day dropped. Let's not forget that one.

Wait seriously? I legit can't tell the jokes anymore.

No Golden Demon, no Game Day, what the gently caress are they even doing anymore? Not to be all groggy myself but wasn't Game day like, an institution with GW? Like, from the old 70's days kind of tradition? I mean I don't exactly have any fond memories of it, I never went to one personally, but it was always neat to see what kind of stuff was being done and who was doing neat things with the models and all.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's so sad to see some of the GW defenders in the main thread because some of them are legit cool hobbyists, but instead of getting to relax and enjoy Ghost Hand's cool zone mortalis adventures or serious gaylord's amazing primarchs, you're left staring in disbelief as they double down on defending the lowest, most toxic practices of pretty much any major nerdgames company that I can think of off the top of my head. It leaves everything with a bad taste in the mouth. Especially when you look over at pretty much any other miniature game thread and it's just people relatively united in their love of the game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Night10194 posted:

What's your favorite? My favorite is blocky misshappen guy in lovely looking armor with the frowny face. But you might prefer blocky misshappen guy in lovely looking armor with a beaky face.

In fairness, it's slightly forgiveable that GW models aren't articulated because articulation for the actual characters and machines depicted would be impossible. Most marines have joints bolted shut, gigantic plates riveted into place in highly restrictive locations, or simply would not be able to usefully maneuver around their own absurd bulk (no marine could touch their elbows together or even see past their own pauldrons, for example). Tau models have to be glued into place because they have incredibly poor centers of gravity and no heels, so even the tiny plastic models physically cannot stand up. Ork mecha literally cannot achieve locomotion, not in a scientifically "the machines aren't practical" way but because the legs simply cannot walk, even if the joints were wildly more flexible than depicted.

This is, of course, all brushed off because it's 40k traditional design. Stuff that looks terrible aesthetically and wouldn't even function falls under the "rule of cool" even though it resembles more of an 80's parent's idea of what counts as "cool."

Calico Noose posted:

I brought this point up in another 40K thread and was meant with the smug response of that doesn't count because even thought your entire army has been made invalid, all of the actual models are still usable in some capacity so it's all good.

There was a recent argument where I brought up the fact that I had literally thousands of points of unusable models. The GW defenders simply refused to address it; they only address "partially" unusable models so they can move the goalposts as far as what counts as usable.

Broken Loose posted:

Can my genestealers take feeder tendrils, implant attacks, or enhanced carapaces?
Can my warriors take spinefists, fleshborers, enhanced carapaces, or leaping?
Can my carnifexes use 2 guns as was standard for a decade? Can they take rending claws, deathspitters, chitin, carapace, or enhanced senses?
Can I take flesh hooks on any of my non-character units? When will I be allowed to use the grenade rules again?
What about the Parasite of Mortex? Can I take that?
Can I take Ymgarl Stealers?

Is there a formation or DLC pack that lets me use my now illegal 4000 points of army?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No Golden Demon, no Game Day, what the gently caress are they even doing anymore? Not to be all groggy myself but wasn't Game day like, an institution with GW? Like, from the old 70's days kind of tradition? I mean I don't exactly have any fond memories of it, I never went to one personally, but it was always neat to see what kind of stuff was being done and who was doing neat things with the models and all.
Games Day was dropped about a year or two after they stopped allowing people to play games at it. serious gaylord had a meltdown in this thread a while back white knighting GW over it.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 2, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Broken Loose posted:

This is, of course, all brushed off because it's 40k traditional design. Stuff that looks terrible aesthetically and wouldn't even function falls under the "rule of cool" even though it resembles more of an 80's parent's idea of what counts as "cool."

Yeah, I was more saying that while I like some of the elements of 40k's design, Space Marines are the ugliest, dumbest models on the planet.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I was more saying that while I like some of the elements of 40k's design, Space Marines are the ugliest, dumbest models on the planet.

I fukken love Marines. And I've seen fan designs for modernized/realistic Sisters, and it just looks bland and boring, for most part, as in "is this Section 8 fan art, or are Mantic releasing more enforcers?". Though you can probably redo marines if you don't fiddle with the helmet and maybe back pack, since those are basically the most iconic parts.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

Games Day was dropped about a year or two after they stopped allowing people to play games at it. serious gaylord had a meltdown in this thread a while back white knighting GW over it.

Just to add context, I think it was Games Day 2013 where GW moved the event to a smaller venue, held the Golden Daemon awards in a poorly-lit basement, and basically took all the "games" out of "Games Day" so that it was literally a big GW store that you had to buy a ticket to get into, where the only advantage to going there over a (no ticket required) regular GW store/FLGS was that they had Forge World stuff there to sell as well. That's it. Then they killed GD off completely and started a new thing up called "Warhammer Fest" or some poo poo which (IIRC) was about as poorly-attended as you'd expect, given the previous year's fiasco.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember talking over my dislike of Marines with a friend and he told me he was pretty sure the real reason for the huge, dumb pauldrons is that it's an easy surface for a player to add chapter markings and such to when painting. That sounded pretty plausible.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I don't mind the insanely bulky and pauldron-y look of marines but they could at least loving sculpt them without chicken legs doing power squats. Compare a tactical marine or Indominitus terminator mini to the illustrations in the RPG books (for example) and you'll see what I mean.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

If they would take the marine design and just make them normally god drat proportioned and the right height they'd be fine. Basically what they have to do for the video games.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

S.J. posted:

If they would take the marine design and just make them normally god drat proportioned and the right height they'd be fine. Basically what they have to do for the video games.

Painting normally proportioned marine helmet.

H-h-h-old me, thread...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JcDent posted:

I fukken love Marines. And I've seen fan designs for modernized/realistic Sisters

Links please.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

orphean posted:

I do think GW has some great sculpts. Let's be honest, the reason I get so riled up is that I like GW products and just wish they were better and priced less gougingly. It just annoys me that where companies like Bandai do all kinds of R&D on their manufacturing technology and are constantly evolving while maintaining a very reasonable price point GW is just content to maintain status quo and raise the prices when their stuff could be so much BETTER.

You and me both. I still have most of my old Codices (from all the way back to 2nd edition even) because I always enjoyed the over-the-top backstory. I have fond memories of learning the game and getting decent at it, as well as enjoying the detail of the models and learning how to paint them passably well.

But at this point, if I ever need to get my wargaming fix on, I'm going to look at DBA, Flames of War, Warzone, etc. At this point, I'd rather be able to buy an entire army (preferably with minimal assembly and painting) and content myself with ogling anyone with nicely painted detailed GW models. Plus I'm sure my entire collection is probably invalid or completely crap in the latest Codex anyway. Which is a whole other infuriating issue.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

I remember talking over my dislike of Marines with a friend and he told me he was pretty sure the real reason for the huge, dumb pauldrons is that it's an easy surface for a player to add chapter markings and such to when painting. That sounded pretty plausible.

There were a lot of reasons Space Marines were the iconic beginner army. Fewer required models, individually powerful units, and then there was this.

Modern space marines are as or more expensive than other armies, need just as many models, aren't all that special in play (they die to seemingly 90% of weapons people actually bring in a heartbeat) and the newest designs add all kinds of crud to those big flat surfaces making them harder to paint.

Yep.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, I remember when I was painting my Imperial Fleet for BFG, a lot of the weird bumps and such on the ship actually made it a lot easier to dry-brush and highlight and get a solid paint job on, even as a beginner. I'm sure more than a little of the setting's relatively blocky and creaky style comes from the consideration of painting, or did originally.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
i love that we have a warham shartank thread

gw is as bad as microsoft

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Links please.

...4chan.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

There were a lot of reasons Space Marines were the iconic beginner army. Fewer required models, individually powerful units, and then there was this.

Modern space marines are as or more expensive than other armies, need just as many models, aren't all that special in play (they die to seemingly 90% of weapons people actually bring in a heartbeat) and the newest designs add all kinds of crud to those big flat surfaces making them harder to paint.

Yep.

"We made them iconing badasses, now how do we fix the rules to sell more of them?". I faintly remember the days when 20 Grey Knights was a lot.

adamantium|wang posted:

i love that we have a warham shartank thread

gw is as bad as microsoft

Shartank?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JcDent posted:

...4chan.
Shartank?
Sharktank, its a games thread I think?

And /tg/ is usually archived on a couple different sites so you can probably dig them up if they were really interesting, but 40k, isn't, etc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The real reason to not go digging through /tg/ imagedumps is that 90%+ of it is porn.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Sharktank, its a games thread I think?

And /tg/ is usually archived on a couple different sites so you can probably dig them up if they were really interesting, but 40k, isn't, etc

The closest thing I found on the internet. The main rule seems to be "remove boobplate, increase waist, add technofuture stuff.

Kai Tave posted:

The real reason to not go digging through /tg/ imagedumps is that 90%+ of it is porn.

/tg/ arhive is mostly quest threads. Fukken quest threads.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's nothing about that picture that would look at all out of place as official 40K artwork though except for the omission of obvious "HEY DID YOU KNOW WOMEN HAVE BREASTS?" armor. Like, I was expecting something radically different when you brought it up but nah, that's 40K.jpg right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I still can't believe they released a starter with non-generic marines

• Locked thread