Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

evobatman posted:

Online chat support from home is very different from phone support in the beige dungeon of death, since you can do it without pants. What is your payment model? Do you get paid per case, per line you type, per hour or similar? What kind of metrics do you have to deliver on? Do they supply your equipment and internet connection at home, or reimburse you for using your own equipment? What happens if your internet goes down or your computer breaks and you can't chat?

It's per hour. The interview is in an hour or so, I'll be sure to ask those other questions then. Thanks, because they're great questions and I like to ask good questions in interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Today I made an old lady cry and then a guy told me I'd interrupted him masturbating :gonk:

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Rarity posted:

Today I made an old lady cry and then a guy told me I'd interrupted him masturbating :gonk:
And what happened on your second call?

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

Semprini posted:

And what happened on your second call?

Call?

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Rarity posted:

An old lady called me heartless when I told her I couldn't page a doctor for her prescription after hours (sometimes it's office policy, sometimes it's laws and such that say I can't unless they were seen on the same day) then cried for 3 minutes on the phone.
Call during office hours man drat. :(
feels bad man

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Working mortgage collections made me a bitter dead person inside.

I can't even feel sympathy for those kinds of people anymore. You had loving 90 days to pay one payment of your mortgage to keep it out of foreclosure. Don't call me on day 91 and tell me its my fault we're taking your house away because you were too busy to call yesterday,or answer any of our million outbound calls during any of the past 90 days. Have fun on the streets you stupid fucker.

e: and usually you review the account and you just see endless comments from other people talking to them over the past 90 days and all they ever do is curse and yell at you or put it off another day/week/month. Seriously people, get your poo poo together.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 19, 2014

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I played so much WoW between calls today that I forgot that I was on the job and got irritated when a call buzzed in.

Work From Home is the way to go if you have to do this job right now in your life.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Loving Life Partner posted:

I played so much WoW between calls today that I forgot that I was on the job and got irritated when a call buzzed in.

Help desk monkey here. Been an hour since my last call and I'm on the clock for another hour and a half. Browsed a lot of the forums and played a lot of Trivia Crack today.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
How many calls do you guys take a day? My job has me taking 200+ a day. The average call is about a minute long but we are constantly on the phone. Envious of that downtime.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

B3dl4m posted:

How many calls do you guys take a day? My job has me taking 200+ a day. The average call is about a minute long but we are constantly on the phone. Envious of that downtime.

My job the average call time (for me?) is about 2:30 and I take about 10 calls an hour. There's typically spaces between calls, but not terribly long once you figure breaks and such into the mix. That being said, today I had significantly fewer calls than normal, so I did get a lot of reading in, and tomorrow should be even better.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
Holiday content:
I worked today but not yesterday. Found out yesterday that the hospitals we answer for, their ambulances were back logged. Apparently a nurse said they were booked solid from people attempting to off themselves and calling it in for the holidays.
This job sometimes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Haha, glad I found out about this thread on the day i'm probably gonna get fired for cussing out my supe, lol

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

forbidden lesbian posted:

Haha, glad I found out about this thread on the day i'm probably gonna get fired for cussing out my supe, lol
That's good! Now go forth and find a non-call-center job!

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

A role model and hero for us all really.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

B3dl4m posted:

Jesus christ. Right now I average 45-70. Slow days can be as low as 10-20, like Saturdays and the bookends of holidays.

Even at the height of my poo poo eating days at Progressive I never took 200, that sounds absolutely inhuman.

That's the one thing about this job people who haven't done it don't understand, how incredibly mentally exhausting it is to have these just-complex-enough tasks machine gunned at you all day without respite. Also people think the CSR is just popped fresh from a can of biscuits just for their call, ready to be abused for whatever ridiculous slights they can conjure, when in all reality in the last hour before i talked to you, I probably already dealt with 5 or 6 headache inducing problems + all the accusatory bitching that goes with them.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I do about 20-25 in the 4 hours out of 8 that I'm on the phone. Calls average 8 minutes or so.

Old department: it was 40-50 in an 8 hour shift and averaged 6.5 minutes or so a call. It was a 12:30 to 9 shift, things generally got slow in the evenings. I also did a 4-10 schedule for a while, which was 70 or so calls on a weekday, 40-45 on a Saturday.

1st call center: 75-80, averaging 5-6 minutes per call, 7.5 hour shifts. Downtime? Projects? Career Development? What's that?

One day, I just hope it drops to zero.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

One of the groups in the same building as us handles our company's directory assistance calls. Their target handle time is something like 12 seconds. They have all the servers and such in the same room with them to minimize latency, and they have big specialized keyboards that do a bunch of different things.

Think about that for a sec. That's 5 calls per minute, potentially 300/hr. Insanity.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

you ate my cat posted:

One of the groups in the same building as us handles our company's directory assistance calls. Their target handle time is something like 12 seconds. They have all the servers and such in the same room with them to minimize latency, and they have big specialized keyboards that do a bunch of different things.

Think about that for a sec. That's 5 calls per minute, potentially 300/hr. Insanity.

That's more throughput than most telemarketers. :stonk:

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Speaking as an office worker: lol at office employees who are off on evenings/weekends/holidays, yet call in and are absolutely bereft that they have to wait 30 minutes to get a resolution on their carpet.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008

legsarerequired posted:

Speaking as an office worker: lol at office employees who are off on evenings/weekends/holidays, yet call in and are absolutely bereft that they have to wait 30 minutes to get a resolution on their carpet.

We also answer for a cleaning company but none of those customers are never angry. But we answer for those little in car breathalyzers you have to have if you get a dui and man the vitriol from people when it doesn't work. Like, I'm going to page a technician and he'll give you a call and get it sorted. Maybe don't drive drunk again you moron.

Also don't call in slurring your words saying you have no idea why it isn't working.

E: We also answer for a private investigator and holy lol.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
So mad and just wanna vent. Off site call center for one of the big four. Got bragged up about how I was going to be a tier 1 trained rep and make more money. I've been here almost 15 months, and I never got trained? Now the entire site is changing to tier one... guess whos not getting there pay increase because its a site wide change?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jimson posted:

So mad and just wanna vent. Off site call center for one of the big four. Got bragged up about how I was going to be a tier 1 trained rep and make more money. I've been here almost 15 months, and I never got trained? Now the entire site is changing to tier one... guess whos not getting there pay increase because its a site wide change?

This is the lesson that everyone learns eventually: talk is cheap and promises are worth nothing.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
In my old department I was averaging 300 calls a day (sending navigation to vehicles).
Now I'm with the same company, but instead I take emergency calls from said vehicles and I get maybe 90 calls a day. It's heaven.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

I'm back to working with phones after a long hiatus ('bout 7 years, 4 if I count a one-month return in 2010 - see post history) but it's in an office and it's level 2 support, so I get between 6 and 20 calls a day. There's no metrics (as I say, we're an office and don't even have headsets, just hand-sets, though the people who pass us the calls through are in a call-centre) and my sense of what's busy has truly been warped, 'cos the days I get as much as 20 calls, I start to get irritable, like "leave me the gently caress alone". Back in my call-centre days, I did 12 hours shifts, that were split by a two hour lunch right in the middle so was effectively a 14-hour day and it was basically non-stop. That was hellishly exhausting and, one day, I got up after my first 6 hours and walked out, never looked back. It's inhuman to expect that from employees. I also walked out of the job in 2010 with a similar "gently caress this, not worth it" attitude.

I've done office jobs for the last 7 years, and basically dealing with phones came with a promotion, so I couldn't knock it back, but man does being absent so long soften you up. I'd still have a PTSD episode if someone showed me a headset though, I think that'd be too much and I'd run screaming from the building.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I think I just made some call center drone's day worse. I got a call from a warehouse place and the Smashburger i've got an interview for today, and I mixed up the phone numbers, and left a message saying I was ready for the interview at 2 pm. Apparently the warehouse had called me because someone with a name extremely similar to mine had won an auction and put my cellphone number down. Now, my cellphone number is really weird since I was in Texas when I got the phone, and I live in Minnesota. There's not really any reasonable way it could've gotten put down because he got a number wrong or something. I've never heard someone so unimpressed in my life as I tried to explain to her that no, I really wasn't this dude, and I thought it was really weird, and I had no explanation for how it happened.

Hopefully they thought I was such a moron that it made their day brighter, I guess? :shrug:

i hope they dont send a collection agency after me

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New job has a cafeteria, on site nurse, massage therapist, chiropractor, gym, game room (pool tables, foosball) I'm in call center heaven.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

Have you seen Toy Story 3?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Oh man, I gotta vent. I work for a background screening company and I worked in the applicant care department for the longest time. Had to deal with frustrated US applicants who lost out on a job because some criminal record that is not even theirs showed up on their background check and their recruiter told them it was our fault that they didn't get hired. Try telling someone who just lost a job that it wasn't us but their recruiter. They just don't understand. I managed to get out of the call center department and into a client care department which is primarily e-mails and a few phone calls. The department was Canadian-specific but because the company is going through a migration effort and moving all client care to the states. It's been completely hosed up the whole time and we have burned through so many Canadian clients because of this. Unfortunately for me, because I was previously in Applicant Care, they're dragging me back in and there's nothing I can do. After a year of a cushy job, I'm getting dragged back to hell. This stinks... Best I can do now is just keep applying for jobs and get the hell out of here but it's good to see that there are others going through this sorta call center hell too. Just gonna do the bare minimum and not give a flying gently caress.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Der-Wreck posted:

Oh man, I gotta vent. I work for a background screening company and I worked in the applicant care department for the longest time. Had to deal with frustrated US applicants who lost out on a job because some criminal record that is not even theirs showed up on their background check and their recruiter told them it was our fault that they didn't get hired. Try telling someone who just lost a job that it wasn't us but their recruiter. They just don't understand. I managed to get out of the call center department and into a client care department which is primarily e-mails and a few phone calls. The department was Canadian-specific but because the company is going through a migration effort and moving all client care to the states. It's been completely hosed up the whole time and we have burned through so many Canadian clients because of this. Unfortunately for me, because I was previously in Applicant Care, they're dragging me back in and there's nothing I can do. After a year of a cushy job, I'm getting dragged back to hell. This stinks... Best I can do now is just keep applying for jobs and get the hell out of here but it's good to see that there are others going through this sorta call center hell too. Just gonna do the bare minimum and not give a flying gently caress.

I would guess the real reason you have burned through so many Canadian clients is because new privacy laws basic it pretty much impossible to due background checks here.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

I would guess the real reason you have burned through so many Canadian clients is because new privacy laws basic it pretty much impossible to due background checks here.

hmmm, perhaps so. Everything I have been hearing from clients though is the US teams have been providing US-Centric services and contracts as well as price increases in line with the US client services. I know a lot of my Canadian clients were pissed about the lack of knowledge the US teams have about Canada and related services.

Maybe it's due to the new privacy laws, I'm not really sure. Nothing concrete has been communicated to me so I'm in the dark.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I feel sorry for those of you in outbound when things like this exist in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T02lbU5MTfo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My call centre experience is making everyday irritations far less stressful. Our internet went down today and after trying a bunch of troubleshooting I called our service provider to check if it was just us. They had a Front End Message about outages and I just hung up right there. Took 15 seconds. My mother would have waited ~15 minutes to get into a queue and be given the usual spiel about "We can't give any times but we are working on it." I like knowing how the support flow works :c00lbutt:

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I was terminated from my last call-center job, and I'm about to apply to a new call-center job.

I know the company I was fired from uses an automated employee-verification system, so I don't think an employer would actually speak to anyone at my old job, but does anyone know if my reason for leaving (termination) would be made known to any potential employers? I'd really just like to say I was laid off.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I was terminated from my last call-center job, and I'm about to apply to a new call-center job.

I know the company I was fired from uses an automated employee-verification system, so I don't think an employer would actually speak to anyone at my old job, but does anyone know if my reason for leaving (termination) would be made known to any potential employers? I'd really just like to say I was laid off.

Both the old company you worked for and the new one would have to be pretty lovely for this to be a problem. In general when a company calls to verify employment, even if they do talk to a person, even if they talk to your old supervisor the only thing that is checked are the dates. Anything more opens them up to the risk of you taking legal action for something like defamation of character, which while you would never win in a million years, it's still something most companies don't want to deal with if they don't have to.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

I feel sorry for those of you in outbound when things like this exist in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T02lbU5MTfo

Actually, I think you'll find that this really owns

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I work at a background screening company so I can shed some light on this. If your former company goes through an automated employee-verification system (The Work Number for example), it will only provide dates of employment and your job title. Keep in mind though that this system is not the most reliable so keep employment documents, such as W-2's, 1099s, or your first and last paystub, on hand so in the case that verification can't be obtained, you can still prove you work there.

A lot of companies won't provide rehire status or the reason for leaving because it can get them caught up in legal action. Keep in mind, some companies will provide it but if the company uses The Work Number or something, then they wouldn't.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Rand Ecliptic posted:

It honestly depends. If it was some 12 man sweatshop where no one cares, they might say it was an out-and-out termination. Multinational conglomerates? You worked there from this date to that date, no further comment at this time.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

First week went by great. I think I'm going to like this job.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Wizard of Smart posted:

Classic rookie mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Wizard of Smart posted:

Let's see you say that a few months from now.