Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

IuniusBrutus posted:

So either of these would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-32GB-Developer-GSM/dp/B00HOKAKYU/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1420143818&sr=1-2&keywords=moto+x

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto...keywords=moto+x

The 3G/HSDPA 1700/1900/2100 bands are the ones Tmobile needs and I should check for, right? Otherwise the LTE bands are always going to be fine?

The second one. Get that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Just so you know, the 2014 Moto x won't do WiFi calls on T Mobile.

I got one 2 weeks ago. No complaints, but I haven't had a personal cell phone since my '02 Nextel, so I don't know any better.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Insane Totoro posted:

The second one. Get that one.

They're both identical (except the second one has half the storage of the first). It's exactly the same hardware, so either one will work. Other than the color scheme and the words "DEVELOPER EDITION" on the back, the only difference between that and the normal XT1053 is that the warranty isn't voided if you unlock the bootloader.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Just so you know, the 2014 Moto x won't do WiFi calls on T Mobile.

I got one 2 weeks ago. No complaints, but I haven't had a personal cell phone since my '02 Nextel, so I don't know any better.

Neither will the 2013. It's dependent on custom T-Mobile software that's not included in the stock image.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I have a problem with my Note 4. I often can't send or recieve texts or receive calls and then only thing that seems to fix it is making a call myself, wherein I'll be inundated with missed call and text notifications. Is this a phone problem or a carrier problem? The phone is unlocked, but it was made to go with another carrier (judging from the boot splash screen).

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I've been having a problem with my Nexus 4 running Lollipop. I was running 5.0 when the issue appeared, tried updating to 5.0.1, still around. The background doesn't expand to the menu buttons at the bottom or persist underneath the app selection, whereas on my Nexus 5, it does. Here are some pictures:
]]

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

For one, that's the 4.x launcher. And I guess it uses a deprecated transparency API or something? They stuck with it to avoid breaking launcher space and so they didn't have to script up an import for another launcher. (If it's anything like the Nexus 7, the new launcher wouldn't fit in /system/.)

Nova, Apex, Google Now, all should be Material-aware.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Harmburger posted:

I've been having a problem with my Nexus 4 running Lollipop. I was running 5.0 when the issue appeared, tried updating to 5.0.1, still around. The background doesn't expand to the menu buttons at the bottom or persist underneath the app selection, whereas on my Nexus 5, it does. Here are some pictures:

Change your launcher, Nexus 5/6 come with GNL, 4 and 7's don't.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Rusty! posted:

Change your launcher, Nexus 5/6 come with GNL, 4 and 7's don't.

Thanks to this post and Sir Unimaginative. Changed to the Google Now launcher and got it working great, thanks!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Also Currents no longer works (replaced by Google News and Weather (updated freaking finally and also not the same thing as Google Play Newsstand)) and neither does Email (it just redirects to Gmail's support for POP3/IMAP/Exchange* now, if it's updated, and maybe if it's not if the system image is new enough).

Feel free to disable both in App Info.

EDIT: This observation may apply to the Nexus 5 and probably doesn't to the Nexus 6.

*Only with Gmail Exchange services, which you should have but aren't guaranteed to (sideload from APKmirror or somewhere if you can't add an Exchange account to Gmail or in Settings, because it's not offered on Google Play).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 2, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also Currents no longer works (replaced by Google News and Weather (updated freaking finally and also not the same thing as Google Play Newsstand)) and neither does Email (it just redirects to Gmail's support for POP3/IMAP/Exchange* now, if it's updated, and maybe if it's not if the system image is new enough).

Feel free to disable both in App Info.

EDIT: This observation may apply to the Nexus 5 and probably doesn't to the Nexus 6.

*Only with Gmail Exchange services, which you should have but aren't guaranteed to (sideload from APKmirror or somewhere if you can't add an Exchange account to Gmail or in Settings, because it's not offered on Google Play).
Currents will update and disappear all on its own if you let it.

vvv In fact when Currents updates to disappear it explicitly says that it's been replaced with Play Newsstand.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 2, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm also confused by the statement that News & Weather is somehow a better replacement for Currents than Newsstand is.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
So I got a replacement Nexus 5 from Google that came with Jelly Bean installed. I set up the phone and let it do a OTA update to 4.4.4 and....thats it. It won't update to Lollipop. I've been turning it on at least once a day for it to ping the update servers but its doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is there anything I can do to force the update without connecting it to a computer? I was just wanting to play around with 5.0 before I sold the phone. And when I do sell it I don't want the buyer coming back to me asking for a refund because it won't do updates anymore.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't think the rollout is complete yet is all.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The secret is to do an OTA sideload. There is zero difference between a sideload OTA and an OTA the phone grabbed on its own.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-halted the rollouts for 5.0.2 or 5.0.3.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Venkmanologist posted:

So I got a replacement Nexus 5 from Google that came with Jelly Bean installed. I set up the phone and let it do a OTA update to 4.4.4 and....thats it. It won't update to Lollipop. I've been turning it on at least once a day for it to ping the update servers but its doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is there anything I can do to force the update without connecting it to a computer? I was just wanting to play around with 5.0 before I sold the phone. And when I do sell it I don't want the buyer coming back to me asking for a refund because it won't do updates anymore.

Lollipop on the Nexus 5 is still broken, wait for 5.0.3.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Whizbang posted:

Lollipop on the Nexus 5 is still broken, wait for 5.0.3.

This is giving me a CM vibe.
Just wait for the .1?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't worry, the next nightly is SURE to fix your problem!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Yes. In this case it's true: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/23753/20141230/google-finally-fixes-android-5-0-1-lollipop-memory-leak-issue.htm

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any other good sources to pick up a Z3 Compact besides directly from sony? I bought one for myself from handtec and now they're out of stock, but I still need one for my wife.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Any other good sources to pick up a Z3 Compact besides directly from sony? I bought one for myself from handtec and now they're out of stock, but I still need one for my wife.

Try Swappa.com

Edit: that is if you are in the US and don't mind a barely used one. Or you could apply for the Sony credit card and they will credit your statement $200 with your first $500+ purchase. That would net a new Z3c down to $329. Don't do this if you are religiously against a credit inquiry though. If you aren't buying a house/car in the near future it's worth it for some to save $200.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 3, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Hey!
My blue black friday Tylt Vu arrived. No tracking number email, just a random box.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I love my Diztronic N6 case. It arrived the same day as the Tylt Vu I ordered over a month ago, which is also great. Thanks for good recommendations, goons.

deong posted:

This is giving me a CM vibe.
Just wait for the .1?

5.0.1 works great on Nexus 6.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Serious question.

I've got a 64GB Moto X 2014 coming my way. I have a (fully) unlimited T-Mobile plan. Should I return it, keep all my poo poo in the cloud (I do a lot of music streaming), and get a 32GB instead?

I don't play a lot of games. What else would I fill up 64GB with?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

Serious question.

I've got a 64GB Moto X 2014 coming my way. I have a (fully) unlimited T-Mobile plan. Should I return it, keep all my poo poo in the cloud (I do a lot of music streaming), and get a 32GB instead?

You're not going to fill it up at all, but what's the harm?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

Serious question.

Keep in mind the higher resale value makes up some of the difference, too.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Safety net, gotcha. It was only a $50 difference between 32 & 64GB anyway.

Didn't think of the resale value. Thanks, RVProfootballer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Got a quick question, how is the Alpha compared to the S5? Looking at it for someone who is upgrading from an S3 but isn't really enamoured with the gradually increasing size of Samsung's flagship phones.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Eej posted:

Got a quick question, how is the Alpha compared to the S5?
Not sure, but if I were considering one I'd make sure I got a screaming deal considering it's already EOL after just a few months.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rogers looks like they're already clearing them out cause they're $0 when you renew a contract, which is why I'm curious.

e: also looks like it'll never get any updates, maybe a cursory lollipop port, that's a shame considering it looks like a very nice phone

Eej fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 3, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ugh. I just got this Nexus 6 and made the mistake of CJing it. I unlocked, removed the oem ringtones, boot screen, all that jazz.

Set it all up. Set up all 5 two factor authentication accounts. Good phone. Then I rebooted to relock the bootloader. Big mistake.

developers.google.com posted:

Execute:
fastboot oem lock
Locking the bootloader does not wipe any data

I reboot and am greeted by the new setup screen. All that work, I now have to do again.

Good god google, why do you have to suck so bad.

NEVER CJ A PHONE. IT'S NEVER WORTH IT.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

RZA Encryption posted:

Ugh. I just got this Nexus 6 and made the mistake of CJing it. I unlocked, removed the oem ringtones, boot screen, all that jazz.

Set it all up. Set up all 5 two factor authentication accounts. Good phone. Then I rebooted to relock the bootloader. Big mistake.

I reboot and am greeted by the new setup screen. All that work, I now have to do again.

Well, yeah. Why the preemptive unlock if you were just gonna change ringtones and stuff?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

Well, yeah. Why the preemptive unlock if you were just gonna change ringtones and stuff?

so i could wipe the oem partition with:
fastboot erase oem

took out the annoying at&t bootup screen

I REGRET ALL

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I've run into a pretty dumb problem involving Swiftkey, speech to text, and the profanity filters, the only way to get it to work is to turn off block offensive text in both language and input, and in the Google search app. the only problem is when I activate the Google search app (usually have it disabled) it removes Swiftkey's option to show multiple examples of what you just said, like so:

which I heavily rely on since I apparently talk like a hillbilly and my phone doesn't know what the hell. I'm willing to have the profanity be blocked but I would much rather it not be. I can't live without the examples list however. I'm on a galaxy s4, android 4.3

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Once upon a time, I rooted and stripped out all the manufacturer apps from an LG G3 (system apps). As in deleted them totally (not disabled). It was smooth sailing, until I reset it to, well, sell the thing. Factory reset...results? It was totally, 100% hosed. Would not boot. Wouldn't work. I was about to give it to Goodwill until I finally found some shady LG software.exe online to re-image it. This is a photo of sausage being made.

By the grace of something, it flashed to factory defaults and a stock system image. Godspeed, sir.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 3, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RZA Encryption posted:

Should've used BootUnlocker.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Or you should have lived with the dumbass startup screen which you MIGHT see once a month.
I mean, I understand rooting a Nexus, its easy and fast. But why bother relocking it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

At least you know this time not to set it up with the SIM in and you'll be fine.

ilkhan posted:

Or you should have lived with the dumbass startup screen which you MIGHT see once a month.
I mean, I understand rooting a Nexus, its easy and fast. But why bother relocking it?
There's not really a point to doing so until you're restoring it for the last time to sell it. I guess there's a thin layer of security in leaving it unlocked but certainly not enough to worry about.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ilkhan posted:

he's a sperglord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

he's a sperglord.

drat straight. If I don't have full control of my mobile computer then I may as well just have two cans and some string.

I got it all sorted. It's nice now that I have it the way I want it. Hopefully I never have to mess with it again.