Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

So I just finished reading the Hickman run of Fantastic Four. I really found the Valeria/Doom angle interesting and would like to see more arcs involving Uncle Doom. Also how the hell did that even happen?

I've read very little FF in general, so any recommendations would be awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Matt Fraction/Lee Allred's FF (not Fantastic Four) was a great follow up.
It's about a stand-in Fantastic Four team of She-Hulk, Ant-Man, Medusa and a pop-singer in a Thing costume, while the Richards's are off lost in space (in the pages of Fantastic Four.)
Val was in the other book, so not much of her after issue #1, but all the rest of the Future Foundation kids star in it. It's really fun and the Mike Allred art is great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 2, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MisterShine posted:

So I just finished reading the Hickman run of Fantastic Four. I really found the Valeria/Doom angle interesting and would like to see more arcs involving Uncle Doom. Also how the hell did that even happen?

Generally speaking the highly regarded runs are:

Lee/Kirby
Byrne (I'll get around to cracking this omni someday)
Waid/Wieringo
Hickman

Millar/Hitch I thought was pretty entertaining and sets up a good bit of the Hickman run. If you read backwards to Waid it'll help ease you into Waid's Doom because Waid wrote Doom as a straight-up monster.
Fraction's FF was good and his F4 was ok, but both felt like Fraction stopped caring a few issues before the end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zachack posted:

but both felt like Fraction stopped caring a few issues before the end.

He cared so little he didn't write them!

e:

Lurdiak posted:

Every time he does that it's a disaster. His Punisher run was amazing and people still post panels from it to this day, and then he finished it with a co-written arc that had Chaykin art and it was just the worst.

I thought Lee Allred's part of FF closed it up fine. It's definitely not worth dropping in the last five issues.

I wouldn't say no to more Allred Allred Allred comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 2, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

He cared so little he didn't write them!

Every time he does that it's a disaster. His Punisher run was amazing and people still post panels from it to this day, and then he finished it with a co-written arc that had Chaykin art and it was just the worst.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Generally speaking the highly regarded runs are:

Lee/Kirby
Byrne (I'll get around to cracking this omni someday)
Waid/Wieringo
Hickman
One day I'll get it to stick that the written and illustrated Simonson run is the tits.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like FF by Simonson better than FF by Byrne (and I like FF by Byrne a lot).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Matt Fraction/Lee Allred's FF (not Fantastic Four) was a great follow up.
It's a terrible follow up if you are looking for more cool Doom and Valeria interactions, but overall it's a good read.

MisterShine posted:

You should really check out Hickman's Avengers if you liked his FF. I know it's not really what you were asking for but it is very good.(And it does have Doom and Val in a couple issues.)

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks all

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

It's a terrible follow up if you are looking for more cool Doom and Valeria interactions

It has a pretty big one at the end there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What should I read to be prepared for Final Crisis? I've looked all over the internet and have gotten tons of different answers, some even saying I should read Infinite Crisis first. BSS hasn't steered me wrong before, so what are your recommended reading lists?

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 4, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

What should I read to be prepared for Final Crisis? I've looked all over the internet and have gotten tons of different answers, some even saying I should read Infinite Crisis first. BSS hasn't steered me wrong before, so what are your recommended reading lists?

You just need to be clued in on some DC properties, really. Mostly Jack Kirby's Fourth World from the 70's. New Gods, Darkseid and all that. Don't read all the prior Crisesees. Not necessary. Of particular note, don't read 'Countdown to Final Crisis' or 'Death of the New Gods' even though they sound like they'd be very relevant.
It's a universe spanning thing with hundreds of obscure characters all over the place. Just having Wikipedia open for whoever looks interesting is the way to go.
Grant Morrison had been building up to it with prior work like Seven Soldiers of Victory. That's not a must, but it's great. Better than Final Crisis, even. If you have the time, I'd recommend picking the two newer trades collecting that just for some good readin'.
Here's a recent thread on Seven Soldiers: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663834

e: Also, read the trade collection instead of just Final Crisis 1-7. It includes a pretty crucial Superman tie-in.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 4, 2015

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Seven Soldiers is really the only thing that it leads into directly, and even then not all that much. Definitely do not read Countdown.

And if you don't get the trade make sure you pick up Superman Beyond 3D so the ending makes sense

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks, I was planning on rereading Seven Soldiers and I've been picking up the Fourth World omnibuses anyway, so it looks like it'll all work out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's no reason why you should ever read Infinite Crisis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GorfZaplen posted:

Just read Final Crisis. If you get too confused stop and ask question here or on google.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

While it's true that you can just read FInal Crisis on its own Seven Soldiers is worth it for being arguably the best consistent thing Morrison has done in DC.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I got my wife a Marvel Unlimited subscription before Christmas and I'm trying to think of series to give her to read (that's specifically there on Unlimited). She's already gone through

Inhumans
Ms. Marvel
Captain Marvel
Hawkeye

and just started the original Young Avengers. Looking for series kind of along those lines that are well received & written but also have a slight lighthearted bent to them. Based on the thread and my own reading, I came up with:

Immortal Iron Fist (not necessarily fun-filled but it's another Fraction/Aja)
Fantastic Four (Waid & Hickman)
Wolverine & X-Men
Nextwave
Marvel Team Up
Young Avengers (Gillen)

Anything I'm missing that'd fit well in that list?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Gambit solo from a year or two back and Scarlet Spider from the same time frame would be good fits

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For light, fun comics she might like the new Silver Surfer.

and the new She-Hulk.

Also Matt Fraction's 'FF' after Hickman's

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 6, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if it's on Unlimited, but I'd recommend the A+X series (or Avengers + X-Men, if you prefer) that started after the AvX crossover. It's basically Marvel Team Up again. Every issue is just two stories with entirely different creative teams, one Avenger, one X-Man, and most of the stories are pretty enjoyable. (I mean some aren't but hey that's what happens on any book with rotating creators)

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

TwoPair posted:

I'm not sure if it's on Unlimited, but I'd recommend the A+X series (or Avengers + X-Men, if you prefer) that started after the AvX crossover. It's basically Marvel Team Up again. Every issue is just two stories with entirely different creative teams, one Avenger, one X-Man, and most of the stories are pretty enjoyable. (I mean some aren't but hey that's what happens on any book with rotating creators)

Not gonna lie, I absolutely adore Pixar Thor there. Like I would watch something in this art style.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Not gonna lie, I absolutely adore Pixar Thor there. Like I would watch something in this art style.

Knock yourself out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cael posted:

I got my wife a Marvel Unlimited subscription before Christmas and I'm trying to think of series to give her to read (that's specifically there on Unlimited). She's already gone through

Inhumans
Ms. Marvel
Captain Marvel
Hawkeye

and just started the original Young Avengers. Looking for series kind of along those lines that are well received & written but also have a slight lighthearted bent to them. Based on the thread and my own reading, I came up with:

Immortal Iron Fist (not necessarily fun-filled but it's another Fraction/Aja)
Fantastic Four (Waid & Hickman)
Wolverine & X-Men
Nextwave
Marvel Team Up
Young Avengers (Gillen)

Anything I'm missing that'd fit well in that list?

Gillen's Journey into Mystery is basically required reading before his Young Avengers, and if she digs both those, Loki: Agent of Asgard

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Superior Foes of Spider-Man, too (if it's on Unlimited). It's a hilarious book that would appeal to Hawkeye fans.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

Skwirl posted:

Gillen's Journey into Mystery is basically required reading before his Young Avengers, and if she digs both those, Loki: Agent of Asgard

Is Agent of Asgard still good? I kinda fell off during the Original Sin tie-in but I wouldn't mind starting again if it's still aces.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gogisha posted:

Is Agent of Asgard still good? I kinda fell off during the Original Sin tie-in but I wouldn't mind starting again if it's still aces.

Well now it's mired in an Axis tie-in, because that book really can't catch a break (and Marvel want to sucker all the fans of movie Loki into buying all their stupid crossover events too), but that might've come to an end with the most recent issue. The whole thing's been fun so far - Ewing is still killing it - but a little disjointed because of all this. Entertaining, just a little disjointed, but maybe fixed now!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Thanks, everyone. Everything there sounds really good and I'll be sure to add to the list.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
If I want to read Steranko's Nick Fury but don't want to pay out the rear end for an out of print hardcover, what are my options?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

If I want to read Steranko's Nick Fury but don't want to pay out the rear end for an out of print hardcover, what are my options?
Buy the newer softcover trade that has everything in it. I own a copy and it's beautiful.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

redbackground posted:

Buy the newer softcover trade that has everything in it. I own a copy and it's beautiful.

I figured that was it, but the description of the contained issues is hosed up so I wanted to be sure:

"COLLECTING: STRAN GE TALES (1951) 151-168 & NICK FURY, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (1968) 1-3, 5"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

I figured that was it, but the description of the contained issues is hosed up so I wanted to be sure:

"COLLECTING: STRANGE TALES (1951) 151-168 & NICK FURY, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (1968) 1-3, 5"
No, that's correct. That's all of Steranko's SHIELD/Fury work.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

redbackground posted:

No, that's correct. That's all of Steranko's SHIELD/Fury work.

I thought he started earlier than that, but clearly I'm wrong.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

He started his run on Strange Tales in '66, ended two years later, and did those few issues of NF:AOS right after.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Brocktoon posted:

You might have seen other trades included the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby stuff and assumed it was all him.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I just finished Night of the Living Deadpool and really liked it.

I then read Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe and really hated it.

What are some good gns for Deadpool? More like 'Living Deadpool' Deadpool, and less like 'Jerk off Deadpool' from the other book.

EDIT: How many times can I say Deadpool in a post?

Also, how was The Last of Us gn?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I read the Last of Us issues as they came out and really enjoyed the series. If you liked the game's story DLC, I think you would enjoy the comic too.
I also reocmmend it as a devotee of Faith Erin Hicks.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Looking for recommendations!

I've recently read and enjoyed: Saga, Rat Queens, Chew, Sex Criminals, and Nowhere Men (in roughly that order of appreciation). What other comics should I read to get more of the same?

Caveat: sadly, I've read all of Brian Vaughan's work already, as well as Fables.

e: Looking at the Eisner awards list for inspiration, it looks like I've unknowingly (maybe not surprisingly) read most of the winners in writing/continuing/new series already. :(

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 13, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

semicolonsrock posted:

Looking for recommendations!

I've recently read and enjoyed: Saga, Rat Queens, Chew, Sex Criminals, and Nowhere Men (in roughly that order of appreciation). What other comics should I read to get more of the same?

Caveat: sadly, I've read all of Brian Vaughan's work already, as well as Fables.

e: Looking at the Eisner awards list for inspiration, it looks like I've unknowingly (maybe not surprisingly) read most of the winners in writing/continuing/new series already. :(

Madman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CowboyAndy posted:

I just finished Night of the Living Deadpool and really liked it.

I then read Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe and really hated it.

What are some good gns for Deadpool? More like 'Living Deadpool' Deadpool, and less like 'Jerk off Deadpool' from the other book.

EDIT: How many times can I say Deadpool in a post?

By GN does it have to be an isolated miniseries? The current series by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn is pretty acclaimed.

He also had a spot in the fantastic team book, Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender.