Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

lol @ everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

lol @ everything

They misplaced the decimal point.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

M42 posted:

lol @ everything

I had to see the other side of that swingarm.

http://winchester.craigslist.org/mcy/4796656662.html

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ah, a very rare suzuki/kawasaki crossover I see, you should snag that up!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
That's a zr-7s. I owned one for about six years. It's a nice comfy modern standard, but the price for that one is a bit high. The stock suspension is a bit wallowy but if you throw in some progressive springs it perks up a bit. The engine is pretty understressed and was made by Kawasaki for approximately eleven billion years so parts for that are relatively easy to find. Its a shim under bucket design so checking and changing valve clearance takes... a while. Also, you will have to be patient if you Qantas to insure it - for some reason it doesn't exist in the system in Canada at least. I can answer anything else about it if you'd like - just think of it as a comfier, less common bandit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gorgeous H1. No price given.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/calgary/kawasaki-500-h1/1038181825?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
So apparently the Nighthawk I sold for $0.00 is now on its third and soon to be fourth owner in I dunno, maybe a year and a half? That has to be some sort of record. It has no doubt stranded and endangered other people, by my conservative estimate, ten times. I should have run it off a cliff when I had the opportunity. I guess I was right in concluding this was unsolvable. Cursed. Unmistakable Hushman attention to detail on this one, but there is just no resurrecting the 80s. Best admired from (I ran so) far away.

That front tire was originally mounted backwards and Zen talked me out of taking it to TN in that state. Wheel's unflippable due to being a one-way poka-yoke assembly, so it stayed behind. Disaster averted, and the tire would have been the least of my worries. I should inquire, I have a morbid curiosity about what's been tried with the charging system since my ownership. I replaced every component, basically. Crayvex and his magic breaker bar popped the rotor off and assisted with tons of stuff. Typical egghead Honda design work of the era, trying to differentiate and market features no one asked for (TRAC anti-dive? Automatic fuel valve? Air cutoff valves?)

Lesson: goons with $1500 budgets, please avoid Gen 1 post-kicker Honda anything.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/4816519873.html

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
gently caress that bike and gently caress all the owners that keep jacking up the price. At least one of those POs bought that bike for around $600 because he was told it was cursed. Bike ballz, gremlin bells, and a brand new electrical system couldn't solve the mystery. Did you forget about the subplot consisting of cylinder number 4 not firing randomly? What about the 10 yards of extra fuel line? It had some overly complicated antiblowback carb valves which would have required breaking up the rack for cleaning and servicing. What about that non-automatic vacuum activated petcock? I used to love working on old bikes. That's the one that pushed me into a love affair with the modern era.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Marv Hushman posted:

So apparently the Nighthawk I sold for $0.00 is now on its third and soon to be fourth owner in I dunno, maybe a year and a half? That has to be some sort of record. It has no doubt stranded and endangered other people, by my conservative estimate, ten times. I should have run it off a cliff when I had the opportunity. I guess I was right in concluding this was unsolvable. Cursed. Unmistakable Hushman attention to detail on this one, but there is just no resurrecting the 80s. Best admired from (I ran so) far away.

That front tire was originally mounted backwards and Zen talked me out of taking it to TN in that state. Wheel's unflippable due to being a one-way poka-yoke assembly, so it stayed behind. Disaster averted, and the tire would have been the least of my worries. I should inquire, I have a morbid curiosity about what's been tried with the charging system since my ownership. I replaced every component, basically. Crayvex and his magic breaker bar popped the rotor off and assisted with tons of stuff. Typical egghead Honda design work of the era, trying to differentiate and market features no one asked for (TRAC anti-dive? Automatic fuel valve? Air cutoff valves?)

Lesson: goons with $1500 budgets, please avoid Gen 1 post-kicker Honda anything.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/4816519873.html

Please please please email that person and ask about all the previous issues you had with it. Also, ask if the tire has been put on correctly... Then post all the responses here!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

If the asking price continues to roughly double every six months, in 5 years it will be just shy of $2 million. Which is kind of high for a motorcycle that can't decide if it's a triple or four, can't get out of its own way, and will likely leave you hyperventilating in a bad neighborhood.

El Jebus posted:

Please please please email that person and ask about all the previous issues you had with it. Also, ask if the tire has been put on correctly... Then post all the responses here!

I eventually had the tire mounted correctly. You're right, I should have some fun with this.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

holy fuckin poo poo :laffo:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4823093342.html

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4816867869.html

If you're looking for a hot rod Sportster, this is a really nice bike. 110 HP bike.

All the best parts and the guy has a thread over on xlforum.net chronicling the build.

Not everyone's cup of tea but would save someone a lot of cash if they were planning on getting a sportster with plans for motor mods.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
1994 Cagiva Elefant E750

"750 Elefant, is the smaller brother of the 900ie Elefant. That 750 ducati motor is more than just a sleeve-down job. Though outwardly very similar, those distinctive Ducati cases house a whole host of differences. Bore and stroke are 88 x 61.5mm against the 900's 92 x 68 thanks to a combination of smaller bores and a shorter throw crank. Induction comes through a brace of 38mm Mikunis compared to the 900ie Elefant's Weber-Marelli fuel-injection system (although a version wearing the same 38-mil carbs is also available). Cooling, like both SS sportsters, is by good old air but with an extra oil-cooler tagged on for good measure."
60 HP, 24 liters fuel tank, 200kg wet weight.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
"Brace" of carbs? "Wearing" carbs? "Sportsters"? "Extra" oil cooler? Does this guy write for Road & Track or something?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure where else to post this:

1969 Honda CT 90, :siren: Gun Scabbard :siren: , new tires, 1100 miles $950 OBO .

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
every bit of that is awesome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

"Brace" of carbs? "Wearing" carbs? "Sportsters"? "Extra" oil cooler? Does this guy write for Road & Track or something?

Ducati motor. All I need to say.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

haha, text was from the Bike Magasine review in 94.

edit: In all it's glory.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 2, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Scrapez posted:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4816867869.html

If you're looking for a hot rod Sportster, this is a really nice bike. 110 HP bike.

All the best parts and the guy has a thread over on xlforum.net chronicling the build.

Not everyone's cup of tea but would save someone a lot of cash if they were planning on getting a sportster with plans for motor mods.

poo poo, that is basically what I want to do to mine... If only I had the cash!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

El Jebus posted:

poo poo, that is basically what I want to do to mine... If only I had the cash!

Not sure how much cash you have but I'm looking to sell my 2000 with NRHS 1250. Not as wild of a build as that one but has the 04-06 heads, Andrews N4 cams, etc, etc.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread but PM me if you're interested. I'd let it go for a lot less than that one.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Hi guys,

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4832614999.html

I just saw this/haven't gone to look yet. Unfortunately, it is not Cool As Ice purple and yellow, but apart from a few scratches, it looks pretty clean.

Is this a good deal, assuming no gremlins/mechanical ducks are in a row?
Is there a general consensus on this year/model? (Reliable? Terrible?)

I'm coming from 25k miles on an '06 GS500. Would this be a poor introduction to four cylinders?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

petercodeine posted:

Hi guys,

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4832614999.html

I just saw this/haven't gone to look yet. Unfortunately, it is not Cool As Ice purple and yellow, but apart from a few scratches, it looks pretty clean.

Is this a good deal, assuming no gremlins/mechanical ducks are in a row?
Is there a general consensus on this year/model? (Reliable? Terrible?)

I'm coming from 25k miles on an '06 GS500. Would this be a poor introduction to four cylinders?

you mean like this?

or like mine:

:smug:

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Uhhhhhh. yes.

PM me your bank info/paypal and I'll wire today. Awesome doing business with you, AAA++++, would lowball again

How do you like the bike? Are there plenty of parts to go around for 90s models? Is it comfy enough?

My commute is 45 minutes on the interstate. I'm not familiar with sport bike positions but that's not really far enough to necessitate a torque couch I guess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

petercodeine posted:

Uhhhhhh. yes.

PM me your bank info/paypal and I'll wire today. Awesome doing business with you, AAA++++, would lowball again

How do you like the bike? Are there plenty of parts to go around for 90s models? Is it comfy enough?

My commute is 45 minutes on the interstate. I'm not familiar with sport bike positions but that's not really far enough to necessitate a torque couch I guess.

I wrecked it in October 2013. Loved the poo poo out of it till then. Still do, but I need to find a windshield mount and get new fairings.
And the fuel pump has a small leak sometimes.
Parts are hit or miss. Most regular maintenance things are fairly easy to find but some things are unicorns.
At least you don't have to worry about replacing an ECM or anything like that. Carb supremacy.

It's surprisingly comfortable. :frogsiren: WARNING INCOMING ANECDOTE :frogsiren:
I wrecked my truck and was looking for a replacement. Found a CL ad for a "nice" ranger in Rochester, PA.
Normally that's a 5 hour ride from me, but I thought, "Whatever, it'll be fun."
It was 40deg Fahrenheit and sleet/freezing rain the WHOLE way up. Most cars were pulled over because it was raining so hard. The trek took me a little over 8 hours.

Turns out the truck was a bust. The "little bit of rust in the bed" was actually a giant loving hole. So I don't know how the gently caress I was expected to put my bike in the back and drive it home, like we discussed.
Anywho, lucky for me the weather cleared up before I headed back. It took me another 14 hours to get home, but that's because I went the long way. I rode from Rochester, PA to Morgantown, WV
By the time I pulled in my driveway I had put almost 1000 miles on the bike, and it was AWESOME.
I really don't remember the route but I think it looked something like this:

I loved every second of it. Even the miserable loving rain.

I don't know if I'd consider selling that bike, even in it's current condition. I put a lot of love and tuning into that bike.
It's plenty fast. I got pulled over for doing 130 in the rain on the way to a job interview. The cop didn't say anything to me other than "YOU CAN'T RIDE LIKE THAT HERE!" and let me go without even so much as a warning.
It never had any trouble keeping up with my buddy's GSXR750 and left him in the dust a number of times.

As far as good used bikes go. This one imo is the absolute best.
If you find one in good shape that hasn't been thrashed by the PO you take that poo poo and hold on to it. Hold on as tight as you can.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is what I fear most if I sell my bike to anyone that isn't older than I am. :(

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4815193560.html

It wasn't that pretty when he started, but god drat it it was better than what it ended up being.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 27, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M42 posted:

lol @ everything

he could have just cut that one off at "paint scheme is nightmare"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4822952457.html

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 2, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That might be a $1500 bike if it were in good shape...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
well theres your problem. He has dog bones in the tranny.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hah, just noticed the KCCO sticker on the helmet. Of course.

I'm tempted to text him "will u take $300 and a ps2"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4854217721.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/4834628604.html

Nooooo!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What'd he do to it? Looks about the same as usual...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Turn signals look aftermarket I think.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol $19000.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Those aren't dot approved motorcycle tires