Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Happy Birthday to me!

Girlfriend surprised me with a bottle of Glenlivit 21 year old Archive. First impression is the aroma is quite fruity and with zero smokiness or peaty characters. Tasted this neat and the taste really impressed me. Sweet, almost honey like fruity flavours initially and then a clean but slightly nutty and spicy finish to the fruit flavours. Stayed around with a lovely warm feeling in the mouth. Only very new to drinking scotch but I reckon this style of Whisky is where my tastes lie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Fenrir posted:

I like a lot of things, but WT101 on ice is probably my favorite alcohol ever. There's just nothing quite like it.

I guess I'm just a simple dude with simple tastes.
It's not like the more expensive stuff is objectively better or something. If you like something with a lower market positioning, all the better for you!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I just did a little experiment. Instead of mixing whiskey and coffee for an Irish coffee, I put a scoop of coffee grounds and a shot of Jameson into an aero press. The result is pretty incredible. It tastes completely different than the traditional way of making an Irish coffee, somehow both the whiskey and the coffee flavors are super heightened and there is also a hint of chocolate.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ralith posted:

It's not like the more expensive stuff is objectively better or something. If you like something with a lower market positioning, all the better for you!

Honestly, with some liquor that's really true - more money generally means better booze. In the case of bourbon that's just not it, though. It's really the poor man's Good Liquor. The best is usually easy to find for under 30 dollars a bottle.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Happy Birthday to me!

Girlfriend surprised me with a bottle of Glenlivit 21 year old Archive. First impression is the aroma is quite fruity and with zero smokiness or peaty characters. Tasted this neat and the taste really impressed me. Sweet, almost honey like fruity flavours initially and then a clean but slightly nutty and spicy finish to the fruit flavours. Stayed around with a lovely warm feeling in the mouth. Only very new to drinking scotch but I reckon this style of Whisky is where my tastes lie...

OOoooooh, speaking of expensive, the Glenlivet 21 is a VERY good bottle. It's one of my favorites when it comes to scotch (Ardbeg will always be the best though), and I hope you enjoy it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I'm young and new to Whiskey, but love Jack Daniels from black label to single barrel select yet find it no where mentioned in the past few pages- is this because I like a terrible Whiskey or because I enjoy but one of a sea of great beverages?

Kenning posted:

Uh, Jack Daniel's is fine. It's far from the worst thing anyone could drink, but there are whole worlds of American whiskey to explore beyond Jack. What exactly is it that you like so much about the ole JD? Is it the sweetness, the charcoaly oaky flavor, the spice? We might be able to point you towards other whiskeys with similar characteristics that are a bit more complex, or more finely-crafted than Jack and you will then be awash in the sea you mention.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I bought a bottle of Goon-related Dad's Hat recently. I like it, quite mellow and has a strong vanilla taste. That I found it in a State Store was surprising, I'm still under the impression the PLCB only stocks the basics.

A year later and although I don't drink too often compared to when I first posted here, I recently got myself a bottle of Dad's Hat due to looking up by chance and having a flashback reminding me of it being Goon-related. I'm not going to get a chance to drink it until the holiday but anyone know the story of which Goon made this whiskey?

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Made my first julep in a while, last time I used Knob Creek. I think I like the OGD BIB better honestly. Made my simple syrup from organic cane sugar, which I don't know if it was a good move or not, but I sure am enjoying this goddamn julep.

Do you guys have any recommendations for future julep bourbon?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So my girlfriend went on a scotch buying spree and picked us up some Macallan Director's Edition. Do you guys know anything about this stuff? I've had their 12 and 18 and liked them well enough, but I'm a little curious what to expect from this bottle.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Inspector 34 posted:

So my girlfriend went on a scotch buying spree and picked us up some Macallan Director's Edition. Do you guys know anything about this stuff? I've had their 12 and 18 and liked them well enough, but I'm a little curious what to expect from this bottle.

Never tried it myself, but it's a NAS bottling so it's probably a vatting of younger malts with some older spirits in the mix. Also it's Macallan, so it's gonna be a sherry bomb. Reviews seem to state that it's pretty good, so enjoy and happy holidays!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just picked up a 1.75L of Tullamore Dew for ~$32. God Bless New Hampshire.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Two awesome whisk(e)y deals at Costco right now:

1) Oban 14 is discounted to $47.99 until the end of the year.

2) They must have purchased a lot of High West Double Rye, because they had about a dozen bottles on display priced at $26.99!

I ended up grabbing the Double Rye, but may be back for the Oban if Xmas money comes my way.

I didn't see either of those when I went today :(

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Same, but they had the 1.5L of Bulliet for $30.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wadjamaloo posted:

Oh? Going to have to go stock up then.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
That's a good price. I don't think I've seen it for less than $36 before.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010
Ordered a 12yo Lagavulin CS and Amrut Fusion off of DanMurphys stocktake sale. Otherwise I sort of told people I already had enough Whisky and couldn't justify any more Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottlings so it is a lean Christmas for me in terms of whisky.

Hope you all have fared better :)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

My Costco near Boston only had the 750 ml for $27. Balvenie double wood 12 was only $40 though so I scored more of that.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Stock at Costco is extremely spotty. Aside from a few exceptions - they always seem to stock Glenlivet 18 and a smattering of Diageo scotches - they seem to just buy up lots of whatever they can get a good deal on and then toss it in the store until it's gone.

On my latest visit I saw that they had a shelf full of Blanton's for $42 or thereabouts. No idea how long that will last.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Managed to find two bottles of Weller 12 while back in WI--I haven't been able to find this stuff anywhere in the Bay Area yet. :woop:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

marmot25 posted:

Managed to find two bottles of Weller 12 while back in WI--I haven't been able to find this stuff anywhere in the Bay Area yet. :woop:

All Buffalo Trace stuff is heavily allocated at this point. Looks like they didn't lay down nearly enough barrels in the last decade because nobody else is experiencing the same level of shortage.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 28, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Had some Port Charlotte at the bar on Christmas, I was very pleased. Nice peaty smoke, but there was this distinct custardy thing going on that was immensely satisfying.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I ordered myself two bottles of this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQh13mGMV4

Pretty excited about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've spent the past few years being largely a pot smoker and occasional beer drinker but I am beginning to get into bourbon. Right now I'm on a huge Wild Turkey binge - bought a bottle of 81 to mix with Coke on NYE, American Honey for casual drinks/one every so often, and 8-year 101 for some unspecified special occasion in the future. The bar I work at has Buffalo Trace which I rather enjoy and Maker's Mark which I have yet to try. Now I need to learn how to talk like a whiskey person because the best I can do so far is "well, this one is nice, and smells pretty good, yep this one tastes cool too"

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

marmot25 posted:

This and Elmer T. Lee have been impossible to find locally.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

This and Elmer T. Lee have been impossible to find locally.

Never been able to find Ezra Brooks when visiting my parents in the bay which is always a bummer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kidsafe posted:

All Buffalo Trace stuff is heavily allocated at this point. Looks like they didn't lay down nearly enough barrels in the last decade because nobody else is experiencing the same level of shortage.

Is Blanton's affected?
( I can't find Sazerac but I never could anyway)

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Bown posted:

"well, this one is nice, and smells pretty good, yep this one tastes cool too"
Keep your tasting notes simple and don't use phrases like "butter on the nose" or you'll sound like an rear end in a top hat

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Above Our Own posted:

Keep your tasting notes simple and don't use phrases like "butter on the nose" or you'll sound like an rear end in a top hat

Yeah, I'm always skeptical about those whiskey reviewers who can seemingly pick out a dozen aromas/flavors from a dram. Unless you have a nose like the rat from Ratatouille, your notes should be fairly basic. Like, for Glenfidditch 12, you might taste pears, vanilla, and sugar cookies. (At least that's what I taste.) Just try to pick out two or three flavors and aromas that you like from each dram and you can learn from there.

Unrelated note: My next purchase is probably going to be a good sherry bomb. Do you whiskeygoons prefer GlenDronach 12, Tamdhu 10, or something else entirely in that general price range?

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
I have bought some Glen Livet Nadurra 16 cask strength (http://uk.theglenlivet.com/the-whisky/nadurra) for new year, for general consumption is it advisable to add more water than one might for a normal strength due to the higher alcohol content, or would this defeat the point of buying cask strength?

edit: for those in the UK this on offer in Waitrose for 38GBP per bottle

Dangphat fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 31, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dangphat posted:

I have bought some Glen Livet Nadurra 16 cask strength (http://uk.theglenlivet.com/the-whisky/nadurra) for new year, for general consumption is it advisable to add more water than one might for a normal strength due to the higher alcohol content, or would this defeat the point of buying cask strength?

edit: for those in the UK this on offer in Waitrose for 38GBP per bottle

Adding more water doesn't defeat the point at all so do whatever you like best.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Unrelated note: My next purchase is probably going to be a good sherry bomb. Do you whiskeygoons prefer GlenDronach 12, Tamdhu 10, or something else entirely in that general price range?

I have not tried either of the brands you listed but I love Aberlour Abunadh. It is a cask strength sherry bomb and it's great. It goes for around $65 and it's worth every penny.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Abunadh is indeed great but if you're thinking of GlenDronach definitely go for the 15yo revival. It's a classic sherry bomb, well presented (no chill filtering, no coloring, 46%) and relatively cheap to boot!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My parents got me a bottle of Aberfeldy 12 for Christmas. Typically this goes into the Dewars blend, but I guess they sell it individually as well. My family visited the Aberfeldy distillery as part of an outstanding day tour in Scotland, so I don't care about the taste so much as I'll enjoy the memories that come with it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Democratic Pirate posted:

My parents got me a bottle of Aberfeldy 12 for Christmas. Typically this goes into the Dewars blend, but I guess they sell it individually as well. My family visited the Aberfeldy distillery as part of an outstanding day tour in Scotland, so I don't care about the taste so much as I'll enjoy the memories that come with it.

:hfive:
My family and I went there last year as part of a day tour (maybe the same one!). It was during their quiet month(or whatever the term is) so they weren't actively making whisky, but it did mean my dad was able to take pictures inside the distillery, so that worked out.

A big vat for the mash I think

Stills

We also got to taste 28 year old Aberfeldy :swoon:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

howe_sam posted:

:hfive:
My family and I went there last year as part of a day tour (maybe the same one!). It was during their quiet month(or whatever the term is) so they weren't actively making whisky, but it did mean my dad was able to take pictures inside the distillery, so that worked out.

A big vat for the mash I think

Stills

We also got to taste 28 year old Aberfeldy :swoon:

Awesome, that's the place! Did you do the Rabbie's highland lochs glens and whiskey tour? I was recommended it by someone in Tourism&Travel and I'm so glad we went on it - totally blew away every other tour we went on. We got a dram of Dewars and a dram of 25 year Aberfeldy; my mom and little brother couldn't finish their 25 years so I left the distillery feeling quite good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Awesome, that's the place! Did you do the Rabbie's highland lochs glens and whiskey tour?

I don't remember the exact name, but it was a Rabbie's tour, so probably yes.

And nostalgia factor aside, I happen to think that Aberfeldy is both delicious and a nice "value" single malt because the local booze store sells it for 39.99.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Highland Park's "Dark Origins" is a wacky NAS that's done in 2 sherry casks. I like it

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

A friend had a bottle of Lagavulin 16 at NYE and while I really enjoy bourbon this scotch was like pure rubbing alcohol. I honestly didn't get any flavor or nose outside of that. It was absolutely terrible to me and the others who tried it but he loved it. I am a huge beer nerd and have been getting into bourbon but most of the scotch I've had I did not enjoy. Is this typical?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Everyone has different preferences, and Lagavulin definitely has some strong flavors that are not high on everyone's list. I wouldn't say it smells or tastes like rubbing alcohol though. I'd use words like salty, iodine, seashore, smoke, earth, peat, and so on. I think it's great stuff, and I'd encourage you to try it at least once more, but you should always drink what you enjoy; if Lagavulin's not for you, that just means that you have other preferences.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've always felt Angel's Envy was an overpriced gimmick, but my mom gave me a bottle for Christmas, and I'll be damned it's quite tasty. I still think it's overpriced though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

howe_sam posted:

I've always felt Angel's Envy was an overpriced gimmick, but my mom gave me a bottle for Christmas, and I'll be damned it's quite tasty. I still think it's overpriced though.

Yeah, my one major complaint about Angel's Envy is that you can buy Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for the same price/a few dollars more. I feel like a port-finished bourbon should be pretty significantly cheaper than a nice port-finished Scotch.

Otherwise, it is a very nice whiskey.