Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That poor Mustang...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Not sure well those cars will fare long term after their salt water baptisms though.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Well, the problem I have with this is that I don't want top gear to be the show where they ruin nice and rare cars for fun, that special was basically them doing offroad with nice and clean sports cars and chopping them up for no reason. I like other specials more because modifications did make some sense and the cars they used didn't look like they just came from a museum.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ika posted:

Didn't they leave the lotus more or less intact? The pickup hackjobs of the other two seemed unnecessary but the lotus looked like it was just fine shortly before the end.

The did add a roll cage to the Lotus, I know they said 'heh you didn't do anything!' but the cage was clearly visible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sh4 posted:

Well, the problem I have with this is that I don't want top gear to be the show where they ruin nice and rare cars for fun, that special was basically them doing offroad with nice and clean sports cars and chopping them up for no reason. I like other specials more because modifications did make some sense and the cars they used didn't look like they just came from a museum.

I have this problem as well. In earlier specials, they bought cheap cars that were broken. The cars these guys had seemed perfectly fine aside from being driven off road. The fact that the 928 GT was so rare is disheartening.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

The did add a roll cage to the Lotus, I know they said 'heh you didn't do anything!' but the cage was clearly visible.

They caged the 2cv too.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Is the Daily Mail seriously upset that Jeremy asked if the bridge was straight? Is that the best they could do with outrage about the Argentina special?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Can we at least admit that the Mustang seemed heavily molested by the previous owner? I agree that its a shame to beat on good cars for no reason, but I don't include that particular Mustang to be a good car. Heck, they seemed surprised the Lotus even made it to the starting line and the last time Jeremy bought a 928 it needed a rebuild before filming started. They were probably surprised hardly anything broke down.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Can we at least admit that the Mustang seemed heavily molested by the previous owner? I agree that its a shame to beat on good cars for no reason, but I don't include that particular Mustang to be a good car. Heck, they seemed surprised the Lotus even made it to the starting line and the last time Jeremy bought a 928 it needed a rebuild before filming started. They were probably surprised hardly anything broke down.

The fact that the Mustang finished the trip with a hood scoop and no air filter on gravel roads is impressive. They even showed the carb full of rocks and dust after the race

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
To be fair, the 928 did sustain some serious damage. And the Mustang took a few hits as well. I'm curious about what kind of mechanical service they provide during these trips.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

See the ferry with a bunch of vans and trucks? That's all BBC kit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They have everything up to and including mobile welders, judging by the welding they always seem to end up doing whenever the camera cuts away.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Data Graham posted:

They have everything up to and including mobile welders, judging by the welding they always seem to end up doing whenever the camera cuts away.

Didn't they actually show them doing some welding on the Nile special?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If you're in the UK, BBC iPlayer has put up some of the old roadtrip specials (Bolivia, Botswana, Polar, USA Road Trip) along with some random decent episodes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006mj59

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Scottw330 posted:

That special was great! Probably my 2nd favorite next to the Vietnam one.
I'm not sure why, but the Polar Special is my favorite.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fucknag posted:

Didn't they actually show them doing some welding on the Nile special?

Yeah, and it's rather hard to tell "Hammond's" identity when he's wearing a welding mask. :iamafag:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

To be fair, the 928 did sustain some serious damage. And the Mustang took a few hits as well. I'm curious about what kind of mechanical service they provide during these trips.

I would imagine quite alot, the mustang had a skid plate on it which the production crew probably put on before they started.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Josh Lyman posted:

I maintain that the best special is the search for the Nile. No one ever agrees with me :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Shogunner posted:

I maintain that the best special is the search for the Nile. No one ever agrees with me :(

Jeremy's traction log is quite possibly the greatest moment in Top Gear history.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Josh Lyman posted:

I like it because once they are moving, there is a lot more reality in their interactions with each other.

A lot of tg is scripted, but I find them more interesting (and funnier) when the conversations are real.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or when completely unscriptable/unpredictable things happen, like that one crack about the mine clearing machine "Princess Di had one" that made the cameraman lose his poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fucknag posted:

Jeremy's traction log is quite possibly the greatest moment in Top Gear history.

I think I nearly wet myself laughing the first time I saw that.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cojawfee posted:

I have this problem as well. In earlier specials, they bought cheap cars that were broken. The cars these guys had seemed perfectly fine aside from being driven off road. The fact that the 928 GT was so rare is disheartening.

I really enjoy the old cheap car challenge episodes, but most of them work better as an episode with various challenges separated by other segments and not as a 2 hour long special episodes.

I also assume no matter how cheap the car is/was, they do enough safety testing/fixes to ensure that the chance of a serious accident with injuries is minimal.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ika posted:

I really enjoy the old cheap car challenge episodes, but most of them work better as an episode with various challenges separated by other segments and not as a 2 hour long special episodes.

I also assume no matter how cheap the car is/was, they do enough safety testing/fixes to ensure that the chance of a serious accident with injuries is minimal.

Counterpoint: Bolivia.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ika posted:

I really enjoy those most of all too. Things like the cheap porsche challenge or finding cheap rwd cars are wonderfully entertaining. I want them to do a cheap 4wd/off-roader challenge; it was one of the main things I loved about the Bolivia special.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Fucknag posted:

Counterpoint: Bolivia.

That was buy a cheap car, go from A to B which works well as a special. What I meant was stuff like buy a cheap car, then get points for A, B, C, D and E, and see who has the most points (using the most ridiculous and arbitrary system imaginable), such as the trip to Germany or the alphas etc.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Or when completely unscriptable/unpredictable things happen, like that one crack about the mine clearing machine "Princess Di had one" that made the cameraman lose his poo poo.
I don't get this joke.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't get this joke.

Princess Di ran a charity who's goal was clearing minefields so that children wouldn't blow their legs off.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't get this joke.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=princess+diana+land+mines

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, I interpreted it like walking among the Royal family is like walking on a minefield, given the underhanded disdain she received.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't get this joke.

They were talking about loads of Arab dicks...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm so sorry.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Finally got around to watching the Patagonia special--great episode! I loved James' car--I was totally expecting an old Mercedes or something equally boring. The end when they were running out of the country was pretty intense.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Well drat, just caught the special on iPlayer and holy poo poo. :stare:

Seriously, Argentina looked beautiful, shame about the locals down south.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
(picture) preview of the new episodes:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/series-22-top-gear-preview-2015-1-2

looks like there's a couple 'buy a cheap vehicle and have a series of challenges' a tribute to Peugeot, and Hammond goes to Canada in a F-150 SVT Raptor - gently caress yes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taking modern cars into the wastelands of [country] is a nice new twist on the formula.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

neckbeard posted:

looks like there's a couple 'buy a cheap vehicle and have a series of challenges' a tribute to Peugeot, and Hammond goes to Canada in a F-150 SVT Raptor - gently caress yes.

I wonder if the F-150 segment is the one where they nearly got stuck in Trail for a while because the weather was so poo poo. It would explain why they were there during winter...

If so, "wasteland" is an extraordinarily accurate term (though the surrounding area is quite beautiful). Although compared to Argentina, our brand of lunatic out there probably only would have attacked them if they'd had cellphones or wifi, since those cause cancer!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It is, they posted pictures of the trucks they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

neckbeard posted:

(picture) preview of the new episodes:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/series-22-top-gear-preview-2015-1-2

Is there any news on when it'll be starting?