Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i took an entire course in college dedicated to java web services and i still wasn't sure what a loving bean was after all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
JavaBeans are classes that encapsulate many objects into a single object (the bean). They are serializable, have a 0-argument constructor, and allow access to properties using getter and setter methods. The name Bean was given to encompass this standard which is meant to create reusable software components for Java.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I'm bean

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but ... but ... people dont reuse software components !!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this has ... heh ... this has BEAN a very tedious conversation!!! :haw:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it was always fun debugging problems like "this Bean-based thing breaks for this one customer...oh by the way he's in Turkey and the property name starts with i tee hee". they could design RMI, but still had to settle for case-bashing for their component model

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
a bean isn't really anything in most contexts except a POJO with a zero arg constructor. no big deal. hell in most cases you don't even necessarily need getters/setters. most things that consume "beans" will resolve public fields without getters/setters just fine. i guess it's a little different in the context of strict java ee but lol just straight up 100% lol if you actually use actual java ee. it's a loving disaster. "bean" is just a loving convention.

spring mvc + angularjs is actually a pretty good way to go i guess, but at that point you might as well just use jersey since you're just using spring for rest services. lmbo at those java hipsters those fire them all into space.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

"bean" is just a loving convention.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
in C# there are only ll beans

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
There's a burrito place here that uses black beans but they actually salt them so they taste p good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have written beans before apparently. i did not know this.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

i have written beans before apparently. i did not know this.

write a bean, do a shot

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

There's a burrito place here that uses black beans but they actually salt them so they taste p good

nerd

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

yeah basically someone looked at the reflection API and had an idea then poo poo all over themselves

Java beans are proto-dependency-injection. having a zero-argument constructor and getter/setter pairs with well-defined names means you can wire up an object graph using a config file rather than by writing code.

it's actually not quite sufficient for that purpose—you also need an "awake" mechanism after the entire graph is constructed to establish non-hierarchical relationships—but the Java people didn't get that at first. then when they did get it, they went full enterprise on the problem space.

basically, someone working on Java at Sun looked at how Interface Builder worked in NEXTSTEP and realized they could do something similar. might have been Patrick Naughton because that was kind of his thing. (that and jail!)

(note that this is also the story of how IFC was created and then turned into Swing: "NeXT did this and we have similar capabilities in Java! oh, hey, that worked, now let's have a different group enterprise the gently caress out of it!")

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

just wasted 5 hours writing c code and it turns out that solution doesn't fit aaaaaaaggg

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

write a bean, do a shot

3 coffee beans in the sambuca

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lord funk posted:

just wasted 5 hours writing c code and it turns out that solution doesn't fit aaaaaaaggg

owned

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

freebytes(x->life, argc * sizeof(*x->life));

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lord funk posted:

-Osssssssss

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

-Ofitgodamnit

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is stuff like topcoder a terrible scam

at first i thought you did code fun code challenges and companies gave money to winners as like marketing.

but you actually make real poo poo that goes to that company, which they plan to use, and of course it probably works out to less than minimum wage considering it's a lot of work.

i just registered for one and they sent me some files with a .txt in them that said "thanks for choosing me as a winner", so the design spec they are sending me is obviously from a past contest.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my company apparently hires people on topcoder and i thought it was just a software dev contractor but i just checked and lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

On Sept. 14, 1999, Naughton flew from Seattle to Los Angeles on a private Disney jet.[12] expecting a five-foot, blonde haired girl to wait on the pier near the roller coaster, carrying a green backpack as instructed by Naughton.[3] Naughton had written to her about love and sex and that he "wanted to get [her] alone in his hotel room and have [her] strip naked for him".[3] Naughton had arranged this meeting, posing as "Hot Seattle", his online predator handle[1] in an online chat room called "dad&daughtersex."[13] The "girl" was actually an FBI agent.[6]

Two days later, he was arrested by the FBI and was charged with traveling in interstate commerce with the intent to have sex with a minor, in violation of 18 U.S.C. §2423(b).[1][4][5] After a trial ended in a hung jury, Naughton struck a plea agreement where he took a reduced sentence and admitted that he traveled from Seattle to Los Angeles last September with a "dominant purpose" to engage in sexual acts with "KrisLA", an online chat buddy he believed was a 13-year-old girl.[2] He ended up serving no prison time, in exchange for working for the FBI for free for a year.[14][15]

Novel defense[edit]
His line of defense was that he claimed he was persuaded to participate online in a ritualized sexual role-playing exercise, dealing with a mature woman acting as a girl.[15] His then-novel defense, became known as the fantasy defense for pedophiles.[3]

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

no your honor, she's really a 6000 year old dragon in a 12 year old's body

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the fantasy defence works

if you're a New York police officer.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

at first i thought you did code fun code challenges and companies gave money to winners as like marketing.

but you actually make real poo poo that goes to that company, which they plan to use, and of course it probably works out to less than minimum wage considering it's a lot of work.

i just registered for one and they sent me some files with a .txt in them that said "thanks for choosing me as a winner", so the design spec they are sending me is obviously from a past contest.

ah yes, let me use this complex algorithm that someone spent 5 minutes thinking of and 20 minutes to write

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MeruFM posted:

ah yes, let me use this complex algorithm that someone spent 5 minutes thinking of and 20 minutes to write

someday autonomous corporations will attempt to self-improve by ordering the development of additional modules via services like topcoder

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

PleasureKevin posted:

you probably want the algorithm single round matches. the rest is crowd-sourcing bullshit

i see they've made them harder to find, probably since they don't make money off them, but here is a list of previous matches
http://community.topcoder.com/tc?module=MatchList
you can click around and see the problems sets and results, and if you launch the arena you can do a test run with old problems

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

PleasureKevin posted:

i'm running a competition, there's no entry fee but the winner gets a prize money, the rest of you can suck it

you'd be better off getting contracting work.

quote:

at first i thought you did code fun code challenges and companies gave money to winners as like marketing. but you actually make real poo poo that goes to that company, which they plan to use, and of course it probably works out to less than minimum wage considering it's a lot of work.

it's basically like rentacoder, except people do the work in advance. gamified spec work

quote:

a saw a talk by someone representing top coder

https://speakerdeck.com/singhns/sharing-is-caring-narinder-singh-presentation-at-monkigras?slide=5

here's the slide where he cites a paper, saying that closed competitions, where entrants cannot see each other's work cause more people to enter, wider breadth of approaches, and more experimentation. i wasn't in the most agreeable mood at the time, but there was a heavy implication that top coder's model (closed competitions) was therefore better than running open competitions with collaboration

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2288746

anyway, the paper in question

> In theory and in our experiment, final disclosure promotes higher levels of entry and effort and independent experimentation. On the one hand, this generated wide diversity of approaches; on the other hand, this led to considerable effort devoted to suboptimal approaches and overall lesser learning and performance achieved

tl;dr we got more people doing more things but overall a lot of time was wasted, it took longer, and it wasn't as good. they don't say much on open collaboration but in terms of immediate disclosure, they said that it got optimal solutions faster:

> In our setting, intermediate disclosure promoted efficient reuse, coordination and convergence on a globally optimal solution with less entry and effort (i.e., lower costs) and higher performance.

they then go on to do a victor line: "welp but if i learned things it would limit my ability to innovate"

> However, more generally and in a “rugged” landscape of possible solutions, we might be concerned that
intermediate disclosure encourages path dependence and lock into a suboptimal solution approach,
or leads incentives to evaporate.

translated is: our data doesn't suggest this is a problem but doesn't conclude that it isn't, as this grant / research project is about behavioural incentives we're not going to dismiss close competitions straight away

anyway, so he gave a talk, cited a paper to back up his arguments of why topcoder is the right approach, and then ignored all the evidence in the paper which stated negative consequences

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if you want to spend your time solving computer science puzzles written by algorithmic fetishists well, sure, go on. old google jams, acm competitions, icfp, and a bunch more are just sitting around. there's even more discrete math ones too on project euler et al. or if you like go off and knock out a bunch of terrible code for not much money to build a portfolio. craigslist, word of mouth, lots of effort but you can escape

but don't go into a competition to win payment for your work. don't ever do spec work. if you do spec work you are explaining to someone how little your time is worth to them, which is nothing. people who ask for spec work also act pretty entitled throughout the project—it doesn't matter how much they ask for when the cost is always zero.

sure, do favours, sure, do pro-bono work, help out a friend, but don't work for free to get paid work.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

PleasureKevin posted:

yes.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I did some data science coursera thing and at some point it encouraged everyone to enter kaggle competitions. I never really got into kaggle maybe because I felt there was something off about it

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

fuckkkk why won't you dealloc you piece of poo poo die die die

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

lord funk posted:

fuckkkk why won't you dealloc you piece of poo poo die die die

is this objective steve

if so use instruments

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

b0lt posted:

is this objective steve

if so use instruments

which of the instruments is the why-won't-you-die instrument?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

lord funk posted:

which of the instruments is the why-won't-you-die instrument?

allocations, then click on stuff until you find a list of retains/releases and then figure out why you have extra retains

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

I did some data science coursera thing and at some point it encouraged everyone to enter kaggle competitions. I never really got into kaggle maybe because I felt there was something off about it

kegel competitions? sounds weird

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

tef posted:

if you want to spend your time solving computer science puzzles written by algorithmic fetishists well, sure, go on. old google jams, acm competitions, icfp, and a bunch more are just sitting around. there's even more discrete math ones too on project euler et al. or if you like go off and knock out a bunch of terrible code for not much money to build a portfolio. craigslist, word of mouth, lots of effort but you can escape

but don't go into a competition to win payment for your work. don't ever do spec work. if you do spec work you are explaining to someone how little your time is worth to them, which is nothing. people who ask for spec work also act pretty entitled throughout the project—it doesn't matter how much they ask for when the cost is always zero.

sure, do favours, sure, do pro-bono work, help out a friend, but don't work for free to get paid work.

man I miss my old acm hacking days :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i could-a been a contender! i swear it!

• Locked thread