Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Docjowles posted:

"Literally none of the issues you flagged are real because Red Hat has backported patches for every single one."

"LOL IDGAF, nessus says it's bad! Fix your poo poo!"

:smithicide:

I got pretty much the same exact crap from some corp security group who had nothing directly invested in our project but they assigned to scan everything. They start opening up tickets with crap like OpenSSL is out of date, you should be using this particular version or newer (which no stable release of Redhat that exists currently has even included yet).

Why yes random dude who knows nothing about my servers, I will build custom OpenSSL packages just to appease your scanner. I love wasting time explaining why that doesn't affect anything and then having a manager back it up so they will drop the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The best trick is to carry something heavy. If you're wearing a dumb looking uniform while using both hands to carry a heavy looking UPS or server, people will go out of their way to open doors for you.

Hold a clipboard and walk with purpose. You can get pretty much anywhere you want.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

m4mbo posted:

Well I've obviously got a bit of time before any decisions need to be made on exactly what I'm going for.

I'm sure I have partly fallen for the allure of the 'glamour' but I am vaguely familiar with the tedious aspects of the job.

How the hell do you work out if something is right for you from the outside though?

Don't let anybody discourage you. The public/hollywood perception of IT is ridiculous and it's not just penetration testing that gets it. People think they want to get into software development because they like video games, hardware development because they like robots, and network administration because they want to have real-time duels with the black-hat hackers. The actual professionals get tired of explaining to our families what we do in a way they can understand (car analogies, always car analogies) and it gets a little annoying.

As long as you realize the reality is going to be far more mundane (and more importantly, repetitive) than most people would know from media, you should be fine. As for your question, the only thing I can offer is, get some experience doing the job and see if you like it (or honestly, if you just don't dislike it). I have absolutely zero experience with security so I can't really help you too much for specifics, but internships doing something related to security would probably at least give you a rough idea.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 2, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Many people seriously think it's some glamorous job where they're hacking the gibson or doing some poo poo they saw in Swordfish.

Like Halle Berry? :pervert:

I just finished reading all 112 pages as downtime filler in the absence of projects, escalated tickets, and other crap. I've lurked A Ticket Came In since its last incarnation, and oh man, is it good to know that I'm not as bad off as I used to be or as others are.

Still, though, I only got to see the DAF days in their past glory alone. You win, you lose - I was there for CF's early period, so it balances out.

Open question: has anyone ever made a move from a place that they were OK with in the balance of things? I'm in one of the better points in my career and have my resume up on Dice, but anything that's come across has been an issue of the commute not being as good, too much Helpdesk, etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

m4mbo posted:

Well I've obviously got a bit of time before any decisions need to be made on exactly what I'm going for.

I'm sure I have partly fallen for the allure of the 'glamour' but I am vaguely familiar with the tedious aspects of the job.

How the hell do you work out if something is right for you from the outside though?

Does work experience exist for this sort of thing? I'd hazard a guess no after doing some searching a while back.
Should I just go around asking as many people in the industry as I can about their jobs and what it's like day to day?

A lot of information assurance jobs are entry level because they're generally more oriented toward policy than technical knowledge; however starting out in traditional IT and working your way into it is the most common way of doing things, since anything beyond Nessus scans generally requires a broad knowledge base encompassing aspects of network/systems administration, network/systems engineering, databases, and even software and web development. Most of the guys here, even the senior analysts and penetration testers, come from a background in network or systems engineering.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Che Delilas posted:

The actual professionals get tired of explaining to our families what we do in a way they can understand (car analogies, always car analogies) and it gets a little annoying.

I don't even bother anymore unless someone asks something specific. I tell people "I do computer stuff for big companies", no one ever presses for more details and the big companies part makes it easy to avoid fixing their busted rear end laptop.

My own wife couldn't tell you what I actually do all day or what part of IT I work in. She knows I deal with Microsoft stuff, that's about it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Where did CF go, by the way? I missed it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bhodi posted:

After the most recent meltdown (which led to the current thread title), he basically said "gently caress all y'all, I got mine," and toxxed himself if he posted in here again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bhodi posted:

All his posts in this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&userid=123883&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I stopped reading his posts after he posted that his boss expressed worry that he worked something like 13 days straight

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

All his posts in this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&userid=123883&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I stopped reading his posts after he posted that his boss expressed worry that he worked something like 13 days straight

CF, not DAF.

CorvetteFisher, IIRC, was the goon in the well over in A Ticket Came In, more or less. I forget the exact circumstances but he really loved his digging.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They're the same person. He changed his name / some mod changed it a year or two ago. He was a goon in a well about virtualization a year before that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wasn't DAF a renamed CF?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

MJP posted:

CF, not DAF.

CorvetteFisher, IIRC, was the goon in the well over in A Ticket Came In, more or less. I forget the exact circumstances but he really loved his digging.

Same guy

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Syano posted:

Same guy

Wow... I never knew.

It all makes sense now in some beautiful goony way.

I almost wish he was untoxxed if for no other reason than it gives me an excuse to make popcorn.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

He toxxed himself? I don't remember that bit, but afaik he's still on probation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MJP posted:

I almost wish he was untoxxed

NO

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

He toxxed himself? I don't remember that bit, but afaik he's still on probation.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&pagenumber=90&perpage=40#post438286089

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
He's persona non grata in this thread, which makes this a super good thread

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Cheers, I had a lot of people say I didn't have a chance at passing the CCNA from a cold start but I managed that. Hopefully with a bit of elbow grease I'll be able to get somewhere, even if it's not exactly where I envisage now.

psydude posted:

Things

My lack of broad knowledge is something that worries me, I know it has the potential to cause problems. I'm trying as much as I can to identify the things that are going to be important for me to get up to speed on and do so. To be honest though I look at some of the people on my course and think, if you can do it I should bloody well be able to as well.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

It appears his month probate is up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This inspired me to look at his post history outside of the IT threads. He was really good at thread making GBS threads.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Heh, welp.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

this. Although I do fully expect him to get roaring drunk one day, shitpost in here, and finally get banned :pray:

skipdogg posted:

My own wife couldn't tell you what I actually do all day or what part of IT I work in. She knows I deal with Microsoft stuff, that's about it.

My wife swears that I once told her a server is "a really big spinning hard disk". I'm pretty sure I never said any such thing, but whatever. For several years she thought my job consisted of sitting in a room watching for problems in oversize computers with giant record-sized disks spinning inside them.

This all came out when someone asked her what I do at a party, and she pretty much said exactly that. I went :stare: IRL.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Doctors, amirite? :rolleyes:
This guy was the biggest manchild about a problem, would refuse to give any more examples, would yell "I've already shown you the problem, it's been a month, just fix itttttt".

It was a bitch, but issue was fixed after a week of digging through the haystack. No word from the doctor. I ask if he's noticed an improvement... he replies via email with "fixed. thx"

I guess I won't expect anything positive from him... the future owner as the current one is set to retire in a year or two. I think I'll start updating my resume.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Alfajor posted:

Doctors, amirite?

Being better than everyone else must be such a burden.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Docjowles posted:

this. Although I do fully expect him to get roaring drunk one day, shitpost in here, and finally get banned :pray:

My wife swears that I once told her a server is "a really big spinning hard disk". I'm pretty sure I never said any such thing, but whatever. For several years she thought my job consisted of sitting in a room watching for problems in oversize computers with giant record-sized disks spinning inside them.

This all came out when someone asked her what I do at a party, and she pretty much said exactly that. I went :stare: IRL.

My new go-to is "I work with supercomputers." People stop asking questions.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Alfajor posted:

Doctors, amirite? :rolleyes:
This guy was the biggest manchild about a problem, would refuse to give any more examples, would yell "I've already shown you the problem, it's been a month, just fix itttttt".

It was a bitch, but issue was fixed after a week of digging through the haystack. No word from the doctor. I ask if he's noticed an improvement... he replies via email with "fixed. thx"

I guess I won't expect anything positive from him... the future owner as the current one is set to retire in a year or two. I think I'll start updating my resume.

Someday I want to go into the doctor's office, tell him my butt don't work, it ain't been workin for a month, and why can't he just fix it. No you can't look at it, I'm too busy doing butt stuff.

I wonder how he'll do.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

jim truds posted:

Someday I want to go into the doctor's office, tell him my butt don't work, it ain't been workin for a month, and why can't he just fix it. No you can't look at it, I'm too busy doing butt stuff.

I wonder how he'll do.

I mean, it really shouldn't be that much of a leap for them to come to a realization. <Thing> has a problem, you go to a <thing expert> and describe the symptoms of the problem, the <thing expert> performs tests and uses research and their own experience to narrow down the possible cause of the problem as much as possible, and applies a treatment to correct the problem. If it works, great, if not, repeat until it does or until it at least mitigates the problem so that the person can deal with it going forward.

We're both problem solvers, just in different mediums. If some of them could just pull their heads out of their asses for a minute, they should be able to see it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Except that this thing expert just DOESN'T HAVE TIME and WHY ISN'T IT WORKING

YOU SHOULD HAVE FIXED THIS COLON CANCER BEFORE I HAD IT

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Ya'll are just as jaded as I am. :cheers:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MJP posted:

YOU SHOULD HAVE FIXED THIS COLON CANCER BEFORE I HAD IT

I warned you not to put that suspicious email up your butt, but you went and did it anyway and now you've got to wipe it and start fresh and oh god this metaphor is getting weird and gross.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

My new go-to is "I work with supercomputers." People stop asking questions.
I actually do work with supercomputers! I never realized how powerful a deterrent that word could be.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Aunt Beth posted:

I actually do work with supercomputers! I never realized how powerful a deterrent that word could be.

I used to have analogies ready to explain the scale of the machines, then I gave up and just started saying supercomputer. I'm guessing it has the same impact as saying "I'm the court alchemist" in the 1200s. Most people are detered by the thought of black magic and the occasional medicine woman (today's hobbiest) would start asking tons of questions you can just squash.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here do work with BOXI reports? How'd you get into it? The one and only BOXI report writer for our hospital is not having his contract renewed and I'm trying to convince the powers that be to let me dip my toes into it. It'll be my first real foray into databases and reports.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I used to have analogies ready to explain the scale of the machines, then I gave up and just started saying supercomputer. I'm guessing it has the same impact as saying "I'm the court alchemist" in the 1200s. Most people are detered by the thought of black magic and the occasional medicine woman (today's hobbiest) would start asking tons of questions you can just squash.
Luckily though when pressed I can usually just come back with "Maytag man for computers." If they keep going beyond that I launch into a greybeard-caliber rant about mainframes. :corsair: *grumble grumble* the LPARs *grumble* sysplex timer *grumble grumble* count-key DASD *cough* control unit

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 5, 2020

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Aunt Beth posted:

Bonus! Supercomputers deter non-tech people. AIX and mainframes deter tech people. You never have to talk about it!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Interesting, but which part of that are you disagreeing with? I was on a Product App. Support team which is more or less basically Operations. If an outage occurred, no matter how severe, we had to make a ticket, page out to development and management before we touched anything.

And how long did that take to do?

A couple months back I did something that took the site down. I went from doing that, having a gut feeling it was a bad idea, confirming my suspicions, figuring out the quickest way to fix, and implementing it in 5 minutes 45 seconds, and a big chunk of that time was me reuploading code via our deployment system.

During that time I fired off one email to the rest of the Ops team that was pretty much this verbatim:

Subject: I have hosed #site#
Content: fixing now, 5 minutes.

Getting everyone in to talk about the situation can wait until after the problem is fixed, and staff should be trusted enough to make the best decisions about the fix without having to ask everyone else first.

The most we do when it's not going to be quick is let the manager know so they can handle the comms while the engineer works on it. Pulling in people from other teams is the engineer's call as well.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone here do work with BOXI reports? How'd you get into it? The one and only BOXI report writer for our hospital is not having his contract renewed and I'm trying to convince the powers that be to let me dip my toes into it. It'll be my first real foray into databases and reports.

I have done and still do some work with BOXI. I was an analyst for the EMR applications and learned it basically out of necessity since the people initially trained on it changed positions, and I had some previous SQL experience.

It's fairly intuitive to use, especially the web front-end, though I will say that its usefulness is really predicated on how well the universes are designed by your vendor, and how well documented the database schema is - with our previous vendor I often had to begin designing a report with the front end and then tweak the SQL manually to get it to pull what I really needed. It'd be helpful for you to at least familiarize yourself with the basics of oracle PL/SQL syntax, like selects, joins, unions, etc.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

cryme posted:

I have done and still do some work with BOXI. I was an analyst for the EMR applications and learned it basically out of necessity since the people initially trained on it changed positions, and I had some previous SQL experience.

It's fairly intuitive to use, especially the web front-end, though I will say that its usefulness is really predicated on how well the universes are designed by your vendor, and how well documented the database schema is - with our previous vendor I often had to begin designing a report with the front end and then tweak the SQL manually to get it to pull what I really needed. It'd be helpful for you to at least familiarize yourself with the basics of oracle PL/SQL syntax, like selects, joins, unions, etc.

That is pretty much the position I'm in. I'm a clinical informatics analyst with a nurse background. I've been slowly trying to work my way through the free Stanford online database class, although I'm wondering if it might be overkill for what is involved with BOXI reports. I'm just excited to pick up a new, hopefully marketable skill.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

evol262 posted:

Bonus! Supercomputers deter non-tech people. AIX and mainframes deter tech people. You never have to talk about it!

Also, I jest. Power hardware is awesome, and I love my power8 kit. Just not aix, so I'm happy IBM is so involved on Linux on power