Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind that the execs at ABC are probably not marketing it well. They likely view it as a way to boost the female lonely male feminist demographic and think the only way to do that is to bill the whole strong woman aspect of it rather than treat women as more than one dimensional and show other elements as well.

Fixed that for you, though hopefully the show isn't entirely about Haley Atwell fighting comically outdated sexism or its going to get boring quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

The more I've seen of Agent Carter the less excited I've been. They keep billing this as a television event, but they have shown dick all of the story. I have no idea what this is about other than Agent Carter is a woman who can fight and no one takes her seriously and she is leading a double life abloo bloo bloo. I'm getting kind of worried that this show is going to have gently caress all to do with AoS at this rate, let alone anything else.

The pilot is getting good reviews across the board, and I don't see what it not having anything to do with SHIELD (which it likely won't, Easter eggs aside) has to do with its actual quality.

Though I am disappointed that it doesn't seem to be making more use of Marvel's Golden Age characters, given that nearly all of them ought to be free for the show to use.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barry Convex posted:

Though I am disappointed that it doesn't seem to be making more use of Marvel's Golden Age characters, given that nearly all of them ought to be free for the show to use.

Gotta save them for that Invaders movie in 2031

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Directed by Joe Johnson I hope!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

The pilot is getting good reviews across the board, and I don't see what it not having anything to do with SHIELD (which it likely won't, Easter eggs aside) has to do with its actual quality.

8 hours of Carter beating up random people and solving random cases is not going to make a lot of money for Disney. If the show doesn't having anything to do with anything, then people are going to get really bored, really quickly and it will bomb. There is no shortage of action shows on TV.

I agree about the golden age characters entirely though. I only bring up AOS because this season they have heavily referenced Agent Carter, even having her cameo more than once, which is why it is weird to me that none of the promotional materials for Agent Carter seem to want to tie the show into AOS even slightly. I wouldn't care about it tying into AOS if it made use of its time period and had a good, solid, meaningful story to tell. I am just not interested in the random adventures Agent Carter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kheldarn posted:

It starts this coming Tuesday, and will be in AoS's slot until it's over, and then AoS will resume.

I could have sworn it was the 8th in all the ads.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I could have sworn it was the 8th in all the ads.

Maybe outside of the US? All the promo stuff I've seen is 1/6/15, and my DVR confirms that date.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Barry Convex posted:

I want the original Human Torch drat it :argh:

And Sub-Mariner even though Universal somehow has those rights

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ToastyPotato posted:

I only bring up AOS because this season they have heavily referenced Agent Carter, even having her cameo more than once, which is why it is weird to me that none of the promotional materials for Agent Carter seem to want to tie the show into AOS even slightly. I wouldn't care about it tying into AOS if it made use of its time period and had a good, solid, meaningful story to tell. I am just not interested in the random adventures Agent Carter.

This makes sense if they're trying to bring in a new crowd. If they're trying to attract people who don't already watch AoS, then I can see why they'd want to spin Carter as a new show that isn't tied down with connections to something else, and that it's a good jumping on point. Then once you have 'em watching, start throwing in some connections and hope some of those viewers transfer over to SHIELD.

edit:

achillesforever6 posted:

I want the original Human Torch drat it :argh:

And Sub-Mariner even though Universal somehow has those rights

I'm pretty sure the latest info from Feige is that's not really the case. IGN asked if Universal could make a Namor movie and he flat out told them no, if a Namor movie got made it'd be Marvel making it, but he also said that there's still come complicated old contract poo poo to sort out before anything goes forward. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/kevin-feige-talks-guardians-of-the-galaxy-the-avengers-the-sub-mariner

Also yes goddamn original Torch and Namor are loving the greatest. Maybe Carter could include the Golden Age Ghost Rider, I believe one of Quake's Secret Warriors teammates is his grandson or something.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 2, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kheldarn posted:

Maybe outside of the US? All the promo stuff I've seen is 1/6/15, and my DVR confirms that date.

You know, I was probably seeing January 6th at 8 as January 8th. Much better!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

8 hours of Carter beating up random people and solving random cases is not going to make a lot of money for Disney. If the show doesn't having anything to do with anything, then people are going to get really bored, really quickly and it will bomb. There is no shortage of action shows on TV.

I agree about the golden age characters entirely though. I only bring up AOS because this season they have heavily referenced Agent Carter, even having her cameo more than once, which is why it is weird to me that none of the promotional materials for Agent Carter seem to want to tie the show into AOS even slightly. I wouldn't care about it tying into AOS if it made use of its time period and had a good, solid, meaningful story to tell. I am just not interested in the random adventures Agent Carter.

Given SHIELD's ratings and the lingering negativity around the show from S1 (regardless of whether it's deserved anymore, it's a reality), if I were ABC, I wouldn't want to tie Agent Carter too closely to it either.

I'm also not sure where you're getting this idea that we know nothing about the story - the official plot synopsis, released back in October, is right here:

quote:

When old acquaintance Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper, Marvel's "Captain America: The First Avenger”) finds himself being framed for unleashing his deadliest weapons to anyone willing to pony up the cash, he contacts Peggy - the only person he can trust - to track down those responsible, dispose of the weapons and clear his name. He empowers his butler, Edwin Jarvis (James D'Arcy, “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World”), to be at her beck and call when needed to help assist her as she investigates and tracks down those responsible for selling these weapons of mass destruction. But Jarvis, who is a creature of habit and sticks to a rigid daily routine, is going to have to make some major life changes if he’s going to be able to keep up with Peggy.

If caught going on these secret missions for Stark, Peggy could be targeted as a traitor and spend the rest of her days in prison – or worse. And as she delves deeper into her investigation, she may find that those she works for are not who they seem, and she might even begin to question whether Stark is as innocent as he claims.

Rarity posted:

Gotta save them for that Invaders movie in 2031

I'm wondering whether it's something like that, whether the showrunners just wanted to make a more grounded show, whether there's some big twist being kept secret like (say) Chad Michael Murray's character being MCU Jim Hammond, or whether Marvel Studios imposed some asinine rule about Captain America being the only superhero allowed in this time period.

Funny thing is, I recall an interview from SDCC where the showrunners implied they were pretty free to use Golden Age characters, but right now that doesn't seem to be the case.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 2, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Would be kind of funny if one of the things teased is that Stark had begun work on the original Human Torch.

XboxPants posted:

This makes sense if they're trying to bring in a new crowd. If they're trying to attract people who don't already watch AoS, then I can see why they'd want to spin Carter as a new show that isn't tied down with connections to something else, and that it's a good jumping on point. Then once you have 'em watching, start throwing in some connections and hope some of those viewers transfer over to SHIELD.

edit:

I'm pretty sure the latest info from Feige is that's not really the case. IGN asked if Universal could make a Namor movie and he flat out told them no, if a Namor movie got made it'd be Marvel making it, but he also said that there's still come complicated old contract poo poo to sort out before anything goes forward. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/kevin-feige-talks-guardians-of-the-galaxy-the-avengers-the-sub-mariner

Also yes goddamn original Torch and Namor are loving the greatest. Maybe Carter could include the Golden Age Ghost Rider, I believe one of Quake's Secret Warriors teammates is his grandson or something.

Universal probably has some distribution rights still tangled up, even if they lost the production/development rights. I was watching Incredible Hulk the other day and was kind of shocked to see the other logos pop up before the movie. Kind of forgot that back then they weren't 100% Disney yet.

I agree on the not wanting to taint the new show with AOS continuity thing, it just sucks that there hasn't been a separate trailer released online or something for more dedicated fans. All of the commercials and videos definitely seem aimed at capturing a completely new audience.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Universal probably has some distribution rights still tangled up, even if they lost the production/development rights. I was watching Incredible Hulk the other day and was kind of shocked to see the other logos pop up before the movie. Kind of forgot that back then they weren't 100% Disney yet.

Ooooh right, I forgot about that as well, I could easily see that being the situation.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ToastyPotato posted:

Would be kind of funny if one of the things teased is that Stark had begun work on the original Human Torch.

Probably not gonna happen.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Inkspot posted:

Probably not gonna happen.

I hadn't realized someone else's name was attached to it in that scene. There's plenty of room for retconning and such though. The show presents a unique opportunity to explore the Marvel Golden Age and I know it is too much to expect anything to come of it, but I can dream.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's important is that if they manage to include all of the howling commandos as her buddies like that flashbacks in Agents of Shield have shown, then maybe we'll finally get a chance to see Union Jack in the fuckin Union Jack suit.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FirstAidKite posted:

What's important is that if they manage to include all of the howling commandos as her buddies like that flashbacks in Agents of Shield have shown, then maybe we'll finally get a chance to see Union Jack in the fuckin Union Jack suit.

Get that monster of human being Tom Hopper from Black sails as Union Jack, Lord Forearms Falsworth

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

XboxPants posted:

That's loving fantastic that they used Ross & Busiek's Marvels for that. Such a great book, and it was more or less framed as an in-universe book so it really works that it would exist in some form for lil Coulson to read. It's fanservice, but I love it.

ToastyPotato posted:

How the hell old is Coulson supposed to be then (in the comics)? Wouldn't him having that book as a kid mean he is younger than Spider-Man? I'm just guessing that was just a nice little nod since they focused on the Human Torch part of it.
Actually that book clearly isn't Marvels, but it's probably using some of Phil's photos, since he was there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Baron Blood would be great to see.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm hoping the big bad at the end turns out to be Zemo I.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Barry Convex posted:

Given SHIELD's ratings and the lingering negativity around the show from S1 (regardless of whether it's deserved anymore, it's a reality), if I were ABC, I wouldn't want to tie Agent Carter too closely to it either.

I'm also not sure where you're getting this idea that we know nothing about the story - the official plot synopsis, released back in October, is right here:

I'm wondering whether it's something like that, whether the showrunners just wanted to make a more grounded show, whether there's some big twist being kept secret like (say) Chad Michael Murray's character being MCU Jim Hammond, or whether Marvel Studios imposed some asinine rule about Captain America being the only superhero allowed in this time period.

Funny thing is, I recall an interview from SDCC where the showrunners implied they were pretty free to use Golden Age characters, but right now that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't see anything mentioning the Howling Commandos. :ohdear:
I do hope we get them on the show, I need more Neal Mcdonough on my tv.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

I don't know why that's asinine. It kinda kills the specialness of Captain America when you've got a bunch of other dudes, all with way crazier powers, flying around then too. I honestly was never too keen on anything set in Marvel WWII that had more than like Cap, Bucky, and maybe Wolverine doing anything. I like Cap being the first superhero for the most part, or at least like only one that is World War II vet.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BlackJosh posted:

I don't know why that's asinine. It kinda kills the specialness of Captain America when you've got a bunch of other dudes, all with way crazier powers, flying around then too. I honestly was never too keen on anything set in Marvel WWII that had more than like Cap, Bucky, and maybe Wolverine doing anything. I like Cap being the first superhero for the most part, or at least like only one that is World War II vet.

Captain American Exceptionalism?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BlackJosh posted:

Well, keep in mind that while there were some more fantastical, "super" heroes like the original Torch and Vision, a lot of the golden age WWII era heroes were closer to being The Phantom-esque pulp heroes, like the original Ghost Rider whose only power outside of "horse" and "pistol" was "shiny outfit". Many of those All-Winners Squad era heroes were pretty down to earth, and even when they had a power, they maybe could just fly a bit or something. Like, even the Whizzer, Marvel's Golden Age Speedster, could only achieve maybe 100mph or so.

That's my interpretation anyway, and continuity & IP from that era is such a mess that I think it's fair game to interpret that age however the hell you want and no one can tell you you're "wrong". :unsmith:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BlackJosh posted:

That's actually a fair point. It's just unfortunate that it renders so many characters associated with that time period unusable, or at least a lot harder to use (perhaps the Invaders operated secretly in the MCU?).

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The success of Captain America should have been encouraging enough for other countries to try making their own superhumans, kinda like that courtroom scene from Iron Man 2. They've already got the robot Human Torch. A few more attempts, especially after they lost Cap, wouldn't be uncalled for.

I'd watch a One-Shot about The Whizzer if I weren't certain it would just end up retreading most of the themes of Agent Carter. A bunch of SSR suits laughing about how someone actually let them put him in a yellow suit with a fin on top.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Inkspot posted:

The success of Captain America should have been encouraging enough for other countries to try making their own superhumans, kinda like that courtroom scene from Iron Man 2. They've already got the robot Human Torch. A few more attempts, especially after they lost Cap, wouldn't be uncalled for.

Losing Cap and particularly the super soldier serum is the premise behind Truth: Red, White & Black. They just won't address that story because it's really politically contentious.

Though, one aspect of that story is that the events were mostly unknown because the government silenced them. That concept could gloss over a lot; Cap was a propaganda tool, so people definitely heard about him. But as long as the Whizzer or whatever weird poo poo from that period was silenceable, they could just say it was kept classified for [reasons].

From its inception, SSR / SHIELD is a HYDRA-infested black ops shadow government...erased history is definitely in its wheelhouse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Inkspot posted:

I'd watch a One-Shot about The Whizzer if I weren't certain it would just end up retreading most of the themes of Agent Carter. A bunch of SSR suits laughing about how someone actually let them put him in a yellow suit with a fin on top.

They did try to remake Captain America and that got you Hulk. I would not be shocked if a Captain America movie had him dealing with some of those failed experiments.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

bobkatt013 posted:

They did try to remake Captain America and that got you Hulk. I would not be shocked if a Captain America movie had him dealing with some of those failed experiments.

Yeah, I so wish they'd actually grow the balls to make Truth into a standalone movie. Because it's kind of the best version of what you're talking about.

Essentially, after Erskine's serum is lost, the US government struggles to reproduce it and performs involuntary Tuskegee experiment-esque tests on black soldiers, which kill some and gently caress the rest up. Then, the survivors are dispatched to fight in WW2, are belittled by white GI's because of their race, and despite their heroism are totally excised from history until being exonerated decades after the fact.

But I can't see Marvel attempting anything remotely incisive in that way.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
I don't remember it being brought up in season 1 of SHIELD, but in Iron Man 3, wasn't Extremis an attempt to recreate the serum?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Yeah, I don't imagine we'll get an Isaiah Bradley movie, but there are lots of things to experiment with besides Erskine's formula. If what happened with Cap hadn't worked, the SSR would have moved on to one of a dozen other plans.

Read the first issue of SHIELD. It is as awkward as I expected. Possibly more. Coulson being a strategic repository for all superhero knowledge is a good use of the character, though.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
A dumb question, but wasn't there some Super-Soldier Serum left during the Ed Norton Hulk film? They gave a little bit to Tim Roth, which turned him into a really awesome fighter and survivor of bootings.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

A dumb question, but wasn't there some Super-Soldier Serum left during the Ed Norton Hulk film? They gave a little bit to Tim Roth, which turned him into a really awesome fighter and survivor of bootings.

Yes. They mentioned that the hulk was working with the gamma part of the experiment. They injected it into Tim Roth and he wanted more of it and you got Abomination.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

AndyP posted:

I don't remember it being brought up in season 1 of SHIELD, but in Iron Man 3, wasn't Extremis an attempt to recreate the serum?

I saw it more as a "well intended tech meant to heal people gets corrupted by evil corporation, who uses it to try to make tons of money and do evil things." AIM was probably fine with just developing a grow your arm back treatment, but once people started blowing up and getting superpowers they just kind of rolled with it. They probably made an offhand comment about it being the biggest discovery since the super soldier serum, but marvel loves to do that sort of thing.

The early Ultimate comic book universe is basically nothing but people trying to recreate the super soldier serum, if you want to get your fix on that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Super Soldier Serum is really stupid in Marvel comics.

They're constantly trying to recreate it when there are any number of things that make much, much better heroes. Captain America is one of the weakest members of the Avengers and the things that make him who he is are from Steve Rogers, not the Serum.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was an SSS in the comics, but i think it was independent of the Cap SSS. Pretty sure Tony modified it for himself though.

Extremis book is pretty loving great.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

The Super Soldier Serum is really stupid in Marvel comics.

They're constantly trying to recreate it when there are any number of things that make much, much better heroes. Captain America is one of the weakest members of the Avengers and the things that make him who he is are from Steve Rogers, not the Serum.

Generally, at least in The MCU, all of those things have a downside. The SSS and Stark suits are the only really reliable source of powers currently, and Stark's suit is too expensive to mass produce effectively as far as anyone can tell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Moriatti posted:

Generally, at least in The MCU, all of those things have a downside. The SSS and Stark suits are the only really reliable source of powers currently, and Stark's suit is too expensive to mass produce effectively as far as anyone can tell.

He also has a nasty habit of going around and taking it back when he feels like it, or making you pay.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

And let's be honest, they have never shown themselves to be that reliable. The most reliable they have ever been was in Avengers. I think its cool that the next film will directly involve his engineering as creating a major problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

True! Though also worth noting is that the good guys stopped trying to recreate the SSS because they realized the whole "magnifies what's inside" thing. Which makes sense given how different Blonsky and Banner ended up.

• Locked thread