Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

WindyMan posted:

Secret Sakurai fighter project, confirmed.

http://youtu.be/QyH5qI0-D8g?t=37s

PC Mod for Ultra SF4 Omega

You almost got me to watch a maximilian video. Not today, Windy Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

i thought people bought it because ivy has huge fuckin tits

i like the hula hoop girl, personally

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Smash 4 is a toxic game that is brainwashing the youth of this generation to turn into serial killers.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
How do you counter Mario's who spam roll and dash attack as Lucina.

Most characters that spam dash can be easily punished by shielding and grabbing but when I tried that Mario would just jab me faster then my grab would come out. He beat me 5/6 matches since he could basically charge at me with impunity because I couldn't punish his spam.

Then I switched to Little Mac and he SD out of the match, such is For Glory.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 2, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Scrree posted:

How do you counter Mario's who spam roll and dash attack as Lucina.

Lucina has a Counter. If he's predictable, let him know with impunity.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Scrree posted:

Then I switched to Little Mac and he SD out of the match, such is For Glory.

Wait YOU switched to Little Mac but the non-Little Mac player was the one who SD'd? :psyduck:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I want to register both games for the soundtrack and free DLC code, but don't really know how. I have the digital version of the 3DS game and the physical disc for the WiiU and have registered both systems, but only after I had both. How do I finish the registration?

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
i dont understand what you're supposed to do vs anyone good with sheik or greninja. theyre too loving fast. theres nothing you can do in retaliation to anything they miss because they recover so quickly from anything that isn't stupid like an upb on the ground or something. at least with sonic his poo poo is super laggy so you can punish him for whiffs but this is not the case with the ninja fuckers

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Geostomp posted:

I want to register both games for the soundtrack and free DLC code, but don't really know how. I have the digital version of the 3DS game and the physical disc for the WiiU and have registered both systems, but only after I had both. How do I finish the registration?

-Make sure you have an account at https://club.nintendo.com/
-For the WiiU version, the Club Nintendo registration code is on the back of the insert in the package itself; remove the cover, you'll see the code there.
-Register the code on the Club Nintendo site and make sure you also fully register the digital version too.
-From there, it'll mention something about being eligible for the soundtrack and Mewtwo DLC so register that stuff too and confirm your address and order.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Louisgod posted:

-Make sure you have an account at https://club.nintendo.com/
-For the WiiU version, the Club Nintendo registration code is on the back of the insert in the package itself; remove the cover, you'll see the code there.
-Register the code on the Club Nintendo site and make sure you also fully register the digital version too.
-From there, it'll mention something about being eligible for the soundtrack and Mewtwo DLC so register that stuff too and confirm your address and order.

Thanks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Maleficent posted:

i dont understand what you're supposed to do vs anyone good with sheik or greninja. theyre too loving fast. theres nothing you can do in retaliation to anything they miss because they recover so quickly from anything that isn't stupid like an upb on the ground or something. at least with sonic his poo poo is super laggy so you can punish him for whiffs but this is not the case with the ninja fuckers

Greninja's super-predictable though? Shiek, admittedly, is less so, and is indeed Very Good.

In general, the trick is to get hard reads, play safely, and use your grabs.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
my style is more of "be in your face all the time" rushdown so when met with that i guess im not sure what to do. playing defensively is completely foreign to me, esp with characters so fast that can just grab you before you can say what the gently caress just happened

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I registered the WiiU version, but I downloaded the 3DS version back in October and don't know if I can register it now. Is it possible?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Geostomp posted:

I registered the WiiU version, but I downloaded the 3DS version back in October and don't know if I can register it now. Is it possible?

It should be automatically linked to your account in some way but you may need to fill out some sort of pre-survey to get it to show up on there. Look around under maybe the "To-Do" section? Do it before the 13th, the last day to register for the soundtracks.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Maleficent posted:

my style is more of "be in your face all the time" rushdown so when met with that i guess im not sure what to do. playing defensively is completely foreign to me, esp with characters so fast that can just grab you before you can say what the gently caress just happened

The solution is to think about what you're doing and don't play rushdown in those sorts of situations.

Especially against Sheik, who has a stupidly good punishment game because she can convert defense into stupidly good chains, especially if you're not good at airdodging appropriately.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

If you downloaded the game before linking your NNID to your Club Nintendo account, you'll have to call Nintendo. Linking does not retroactively register stuff that you downloaded prior

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Maleficent posted:

i dont understand what you're supposed to do vs anyone good with sheik or greninja.

Duck Hunt.
Almost every Sheik I ever fought had no idea what to do against him.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I loving hate Peach. None of her aerials have any significant landing lag so you can't punish her when she's coming down, you can't chase her offstage because she'll just float away from you or hit you with her rear end(while floating), and her forward-air is borderline retarded. You can't stop her from recovering low, either, because she'll shove that umbrella straight up your rear end.

It's gotten to the point that I would rather see a Rosalina than a Peach online. How can I deal with this pushy princess?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

jivjov posted:

If you downloaded the game before linking your NNID to your Club Nintendo account, you'll have to call Nintendo. Linking does not retroactively register stuff that you downloaded prior

Just finished, thank you. It took a while. On the plus side, I registered so many games that I got Platinum rank immediately.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I don't see Peach too often, but here's my impression from what I've seen. Even with her amazing floating jump, she can only stay in the air for so long. As far as I know, she doesn't have a spectacular ground game, so try to catch her whenever she lands. Also pay attention to which direction she's facing when she's floating. If she's facing you, she may try to use her f-air, which while strong also has noticeable start-up and cool-down time to take advantage of. If she's backwards, she's probably specifically trying to use back-air. Her attacks may be unsafe on shield, especially towards the end of her jump, so try to grab her as soon as she whiffs or gets blocked by your shield. Unfortunately, she is a very difficult character to edge-guard from below due to her umbrella, but if she tries to grab the edge more than once, remember that she loses all invincibility from grabbing the edge after the first time as long as she hasn't been hit. Any down smash should hit her when she grabs again. Out of curiosity, who do you play as?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

With Peach you just constantly want to outspace her and keep her offstage. Her float gives her really great air priority and makes her seem far better in the air than she actually is, but remember that as long as you're being aggressive she can't control the match, especially if you're keeping her in float because it limits her options and removes her best punish, dsmash.

Her Fair is incredibly powerful, but you can get around that by poking her or doing retreating aerials, trying to get her to put one out and then punishing it after.

Peach is undeniably good in S4, but there are some matchups that she has trouble in so it does depend largely on who you're playing. She's a good counterpick for Sheik/Diddy but I find playing against Peach with Ness and Samus make for a pretty easy time. Her linear mobility with float is really, really harshly punished by projectiles and once you realize the game is yours when she's playing defensively you can usually gimp her pretty good.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Bluff Buster posted:

Out of curiosity, who do you play as?

Pac-Man and Olimar :smith:

e: Thanks for the advice, guys. I have been trying to punish on landing and unsafe aerials, but it seems like her shield comes out first every time, and the ones I've fought have had no problem blocking or dodging any projectiles I threw at them. They all seem to play super defensively and I haven't really found a way of getting around that outside of playing their game, but I hate doing that because it makes matches drag on for so long it stops being fun. I can get the percentage with Olimar through Pikmin throw and careful play, but he dies so early (especially with rage active) that it's hard to actually make the kill. Pac-Man is a tossup, but it usually tips in their favor.

I'll try and incorporate this advice the next time I have to fight one.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 2, 2015

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

When playing as Olimar focus on keeping one of your Pikman on you at all times so you can punish any dropped floats or bad fairs with a fair of your own, and make sure to throw two of your pikman onto Peach so you can pressure her to land and deal with them. Olimar's dsmash should get her when she's trying to recover if you time it correctly.

When playing as Pacman you have a few less options but the fire hydrant's water can get some surprising kills on the edge, especially when Peach is trying to get back to stage/runs out of float and doesn't expect the water to push her out of recovery range.

Essentially you just have to play slow and methodical.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
When playing as Olimar, it is vitally important that on the character select screen, you move the cursor over to Diddy Kong

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lemming posted:

When playing as Olimar, it is vitally important that on the character select screen, you move the cursor over to Diddy Kong

Ah, the Logic special

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

When playing as Olimar, it is vitally important that on the character select screen, you move the cursor over to Diddy Kong anyone else.

And this is coming from someone that mains Olimar.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

If anyone wants to fight a Yoshi that may or may not be good, my nnid's Ze_German_Butler. May also play steel punch dog sometimes.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Did you know that for the Japanese 3DS release of Smash 4, Olimar's pikman were only active for 30 out of the 60 frames everything else was due to a glitch in how the game handled the 30fps game objects? Yeah, that provided some weird online experiences during the first few weeks. Sometimes you'd throw Pikman and they'd fly right through people, or straight up just disappear.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That still happens, and it's Pikmin.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks somethingawful user Sire Oblivion, but I'm pretty sure they're called pickmans. little pick mans. you pick them from the ground. That's where their name comes from, obviously.

I haven't played the 3DS version since 1.03 came out and they fixed Yoshi's awesome pseudo-waveland and teleport shenanigans. drat that game was crazy at launch.

Edit: IIRC you could also just... land your pikdudes in the air, and they'd just... become a floating hitbox that would disappear after providing percents. I think it only worked in FFA, but it was really weird. IDK if you can still do that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That was patched I believe along with the locked Pikmin glitch that would happen if you tried to down Smash immediately after a down throw.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
i play primarily with dedede and have so much goddamn trouble with Link and Robin for some reason. i can't get in close to either one of them and so much projectile spam goddddddd

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Such is the plight of the heavy character.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Have you tried chucking Gordos at them? That could potentially help.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

ZeButler posted:

Have you tried chucking Gordos at them? That could potentially help.

If he likes getting Gordos to the face, maybe. Any of Link's projectiles will bounce them right back.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Cicadas! posted:

If he likes getting Gordos to the face, maybe. Any of Link's projectiles will bounce them right back.

pretty much this. i try to aim them as best as i can to maybe get a hit in between the barrage of arrows and boomerangs but more often than not the gordo comes straight back at my fat rear end

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Try jumping up real high and then throwing gordos from up there

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Davinci posted:

Try jumping up real high and then throwing gordos from up there

pretty much but you leave yourself open to a lot of bullshit with how slow he is and how much faster they are

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dedede can float above the spam line for a little bit, and then you should know his neutral air has next to no landing lag if you fastfall it so you can fastfall it into a ground tilt or a grab to get out of the air quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

When you pick a heavy in Smash you aren't playing Smash anymore. You're playing Street Fighter. Walk forward and block and wait for him to gently caress up when you get too close.

• Locked thread