Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

All characters in the game communicate through heavy breathing, there's no voice acting.

Yeah every cutscene/in mission dialogue consists of characters breathing heavily, grunting, and laughing at each other. I don't see why Lana is singled out for that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I like Lana in general and how she was handled in game, but even if I didn't she'd still get a pass from me just for the Book. I just love that they basically made a whole moveset based on the Cane of Somaria from LttP

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah every cutscene/in mission dialogue consists of characters breathing heavily, grunting, and laughing at each other. I don't see why Lana is singled out for that here.

I can understand Lana and Zelda getting annoying because they are particularly giggly compared to everyone else but yeah, goofy exclamations have been such a mainstay of the franchise that I don't get it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I am still on the Adventure Map and yesterday it was starting to feel like I was winding down since a large portion of it was uncovered, so I decided to count the remaining squares I had yet to unlock. The final count was 36 and I realized I was nowhere near done. With 1/3 of the Adventure Maps. Soon to be 1/4.

I am never going to finish this game and I don't think I mind that. It's repetitive but somehow it stays fun and it makes a great co-op game with my best friend whereas usually we play very different games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I still haven't gotten all the Skulltulas or heart pieces in the first Adventure map... It's gonna take forever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zertoss posted:

This, I agree with. If there's a sequel, I'd love to get more characters inspired by classic Zelda monsters.

Yeah, if there were a sequel I'd want the returning characters to be almost unchanged and to just throw in a ton of new ones even if they just have one weapon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm prepared to like Lana and Cia if they get a makeover to look less like a J-Pop idol and a fetish model.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neo Rasa posted:

I can understand Lana and Zelda getting annoying because they are particularly giggly compared to everyone else but yeah, goofy exclamations have been such a mainstay of the franchise that I don't get it.

For me its because they anime gasp for literally every line in the cutscenes. In n Zelda games almost every NPC makes some kind of noise when you talk to them, but they do so only once so you get an idea for their voice. In this game, nobody every stops making dumb sounds and its a pretty lovely substitution for full voice acting.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OStUbjcc5do

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I want a sequel/patch that allows the player to direct soldiers & generals to specific parts of the map. The ability to mob enemy bosses/raids would be balanced and regulated by the risk of leaving keeps unguarded.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Space Fish posted:

I want a sequel/patch that allows the player to direct soldiers & generals to specific parts of the map. The ability to mob enemy bosses/raids would be balanced and regulated by the risk of leaving keeps unguarded.

The system they use for recent Samurai Warriors games where you control multiple characters you can switch between and send the ones you're not controlling to other parts of the map should basically be in every Warriors game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also a level editor so that you can make areas with keeps adjacent to each other so someone can recreate every Zelda 1 dungeon.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Hey, I just got my wiiu for Christmas. I added mantidae and billybullfrog since they were the most recent NNIDs posted. My NNID is BeanBunny, add me if you want a newbie network Link.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What item are you supposed to use to reveal hidden enemies in the master quest? I know about using harps on butterflies but I've seen several square in master quest that appear totally blank. I've got no idea what to use on them to advance.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
The recorder. I can also think of a specific map square that requires a recorder on a bush instead of a candle. That's pretty much the whole difference between MQ and the original map - you actually use the recorder

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The thing I most want out of a theoretical Hyrule Warriors 2 is to not force me to use the lovely characters I hate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Reoxygenation posted:

The recorder. I can also think of a specific map square that requires a recorder on a bush instead of a candle. That's pretty much the whole difference between MQ and the original map - you actually use the recorder

This was mega bullshit even on the NES. You had to use the recorder to make a Tombstone move instead of pushing it like in the first quest. :wtc:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

RyokoTK posted:

The thing I most want out of a theoretical Hyrule Warriors 2 is to not force me to use the lovely characters I hate.

i'm pretty sure every Dynasty Warriors game forces (or at least encourages?) use of the full cast.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RyokoTK posted:

I'd settle for them buffing the lovely characters so they aren't lovely anymore.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

This is from a little bit back, but, on the subject of Zant vs. Giant Bosses, what I've been doing is opening with Crazy Mode Bullet Gun the moment I break their weak point, before the gauge even shows up, to get the crazy bar as low as I can. Then I do C2 and pop the head up inside the enemy's gigantic hitbox, and mash heavy attack to make it spin and shoot. Because it's inside the hitbox, literally every single shot hits the target, which does a decent job of wearing them down (by Zant standards, anyway). My main problem is that I have to stop and switch to shooting bullets by hand again when the crazy meter fills, which isn't as effective at all.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Internet Kraken posted:

For me its because they anime gasp for literally every line in the cutscenes. In n Zelda games almost every NPC makes some kind of noise when you talk to them, but they do so only once so you get an idea for their voice. In this game, nobody every stops making dumb sounds and its a pretty lovely substitution for full voice acting.

It's noticable in the very first level at that. Right at the end Impa makes the same face and goes MOH?! three times in a row.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
DeviantArt Volvagia is a bad character. Wizzro kicks rear end though.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Every character must have been called bad at least once in this thread.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chakram posted:

DeviantArt Volvagia is a bad character. Wizzro kicks rear end though.

Watch your mouth.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So Twili Midna is probably my new favourite character, I played as her for the first time today and when I killed over 50 enemies with one of her basic combos, then summoned a Cannon to blow away half the battlefield, I knew I had made the correct choice.

The DBZ style aoe she does when her energy bar is full is really really good for nuking enemy keeps, it's the tops.

jxsa
Oct 31, 2011

Alacron posted:

Real Talk: In a hypothetical Hyrule Warriors 2, what would you guys rather see?
A) A shitload of new characters with little to no updates to the old ones
or
B) Only a few new guys but each character (new and old) gets at least 2 unique weapons and movesets
Hmmm, when it's a whole new sequel rather than just more DLC, part of me feels like there totally has to be a host of new characters. Like, another 10 or something.

The downside of option B is that by now I've picked out my favorite characters and there are only a small number more I'd like to get good with, so adding more weapons for Zant or Ganondorf or Ruto or Darunia or Link or Fi or whatever isn't going to be any value add for me because I just don't feel like playing as the characters very often, regardless of moveset/weapon.

Ideally I'd like a compromise, but I suppose it wouldn't be the tough choice you intended for us to make if I could say that! I'd want a whole bunch of new characters from which I could find 2-3 I really like on par with my existing favorites, plus new weapons for the characters I really enjoy. Midna especially needs a second moveset. You could consider Twili Midna her second moveset, of course, but that does mean I'm splitting my leveling between two characters. Almost wish Twili Midna had been added as a second Midna 'weapon" but I do understand they wanted to have a new character to advertise and that's totally okay.

(On an note unrelated to this question, I'm never sure if I should sigh in exasperation or laugh at the silliness of all the repetitive, obnoxious whining about Lana. "Waaah she's so jpop! Waaah she's so anime!" Oh my god, just shut up about it already, nobody cares about your weird hang-ups.)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Before I played the game I thought Lana was bad, but now I know...she's good. Thank you for listening.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

My dorkiest moment last year was when I got excited that Impa would use a guan dao in Hyrule Warriors, and when I subsequently became infuriated when it was labeled a naginata instead.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There was a literal sailor moon looking villain in zelda at one point. Complaining about Lana is amazing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to unlock Ruto's Level 3 mission but don't want to waste a compass. Used ladder on the raft, it gets wasted. Well that sucks but now I know to use it on land! Use it on land, it still gets wasted :suicide:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There was a literal sailor moon looking villain in zelda at one point. Complaining about Lana is amazing.

I wasn't aware the series even had a female antagonist other than Cia. Too bad both of them dress like idiots.

EDIT: That said one lovely design doesn't justify having more of them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 4, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I wasn't aware the series even had a female antagonist other than Cia. Too bad both of them dress like idiots.

You had better not be knocking that sweet rear end hat along with the rest of the outfit. Because that hat is fantastic. There's also Twinrova to consider, even if she wasn't a big bad (though technically Cia isn't either).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Internet Kraken posted:

Trying to unlock Ruto's Level 3 mission but don't want to waste a compass. Used ladder on the raft, it gets wasted. Well that sucks but now I know to use it on land! Use it on land, it still gets wasted :suicide:

EDIT: That said one lovely design doesn't justify having more of them.

So... you avoid wasting a compass by wasting a far more rare and hard to get item?

Just use the dang compass, see the spot you need to reveal, and quit to the Home menu.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
they will never, ever put twinrova in hyrule warriors :smith:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Excels posted:

they will never, ever put twinrova in hyrule warriors :smith:

include a cool rear end coop only special

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The TP map is not very enjoyable

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, lesson learned: Do not ignore the recommended element for a map. After loving up horribly trying to get Lana's T2 gate weapon using a T3 tome, I used the T1 gate I had and tore the stage a loving new one.

It's ridiculous how much easier that was with the right weapon.

E: Also, after trying Twili Midna I have to say that all the gushing I've seen in this thread so far about her is totally deserved. Holy poo poo that cannon. Plus her strong attack, at least fully charged, is what I wish Ganondorf's was, I can actually see myself using it in combat as a regular thing without taking several hits each use!

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 4, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't tried twili midna yet because I don't want to invest in yet another character that can only use darkness. Feels like I have way too many of those as it is.

Silver Falcon posted:

So... you avoid wasting a compass by wasting a far more rare and hard to get item?

Just use the dang compass, see the spot you need to reveal, and quit to the Home menu.

I was trying to be clever by using the item on what I thought was the obvious spot. I never claimed this was a GOOD idea though.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Internet Kraken posted:

I was trying to be clever by using the item on what I thought was the obvious spot. I never claimed this was a GOOD idea though.

Just turn off the wiiu/quit to the home menu if you fuckup an item card. It's way less time then grinding out another.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't tried twili midna yet because I don't want to invest in yet another character that can only use darkness. Feels like I have way too many of those as it is.

Current weapon element counts are:

Light - 6
Link - Hylian Sword, Master Sword, Epona
Zelda - Rapier
Fi
Agitha

Darkness - 8
Zelda - Dominion Rod
Midna
Ganondorf
Zant
Girahim
Cia
Wizzro
Twili Midna

Fire - 5
Link - Magic Rod
Impa - Naginata
Lana - Summoning Gate
Darunia
Volga

Water - 4
Link - Great Fairy
Impa - Giant Blade
Lana - Deku Spear
Ruto

Lightning - 5
Link - Gauntlets, Spinner
Zelda - Baton
Lana - Book of Sorcery
Sheik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Internet Kraken posted:

Except half of her attacks are Light.

• Locked thread