Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What's that website everyone is using for trading?

I've got CMDR Club bookmarked, looking for the trade planner now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CitrusFrog posted:

So the other day my brother decided he was going to shower me with cash by pooping diso grain cargo pods at me just outside of a station's no fire zone. After picking them up I look at my cargo only to see that all four tons are registering as stolen. I managed to get docked at a station and get the poo poo sold but not before getting scanned and receiving a 32k bounty on my head. I got blown up while exiting Julian Gateway station, I had just been forced to downgrade my fuel scoop from a C to a D just to have the rebuy cost in my account when I died.

What's up with the cargo thing then?

He forgot to abandon the cargo. I've dropped well over 400 palladium outside Big Harry's Monkey Hideout this afternoon and I've gotten no complaints, yet. You have to choose the 'abandon' option, though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

Do you:

-Have a detailed surface scanner installed? (Not having one roughly cuts your money in half, get one asap.)
-An advanced scanner? (Assigned to a weapon group and fired after landing in a new system?)

If you don't have the advanced scanner and use an intermediate or basic scanner:

-Did you assign it to a weapon group and did you remember to fire it every time you drop down near a new sun?
-Did you travel to stations/far away planets and fire your scanner again on your way and after arrival? (You lose out on a lot of planets and moons if you don't do this.)
-Did you open up the system-info window to see how many suns there are? (If there are unexplored suns out of range, you can still see them in the window. Then you can use parallax to find them and probably larger planets close to them, too.)

As you can see, exploration isn't as easy as just jumping in and looking.

I fire it off when I warp in at the star, and if I'm traveling thousands of LS away I fire it off intermittently. I hadn't thought of firing it off at the station. It's assigned to a weapon group.

It's a basic discovery scanner, nothing special. Most of the better discovery scanners are in the six-figure prices and I can't afford them right now.

A while back a few posters told me that ships came equipped with basic discovery scanners stock, but I found this not to be true when I tried to assign to a fire group. So I just bought one in place of a cargo hold.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CitrusFrog posted:

So the other day my brother decided he was going to shower me with cash by pooping diso grain cargo pods at me just outside of a station's no fire zone. After picking them up I look at my cargo only to see that all four tons are registering as stolen. I managed to get docked at a station and get the poo poo sold but not before getting scanned and receiving a 32k bounty on my head. I got blown up while exiting Julian Gateway station, I had just been forced to downgrade my fuel scoop from a C to a D just to have the rebuy cost in my account when I died.

What's up with the cargo thing then?

There's some way to drop cargo that doesn't involve it being marked as stolen, but hell if I know how that works.

He did not do that, so the space cops registered you as having stolen that poo poo and fined you accordingly. You would have had to avoid that scan through the use of something like dumping a heatsink, or simply getting through the mail slot more quickly. Presumably that's why you got blowed up by the station, you got marked as Wanted and it decided "Hey gently caress this guy"

On top of that, Diso Ma corn is a rare commodity. Those increase in value the further away you sell them from where YOU acquired them. Doesn't matter if your brother bought them 160Ly+ from where he gave them to you, you scooped them up where you were and went into that station, getting the bare minimum price for them. You would've have to have traveled 160Ly or more to get the most profit from them, and that would've required a black market as well, since they were stolen.

Basically, you both done hosed up. If he wanted to give you free money, he should have bought Palladium or Gold or something from a neighboring, and then dumped 4 tons of that outside the station for you to scoop. Depending on the demands of the system that would've netted you at least enough to cover your fine (although your fine would probably also have been higher).

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
https://twitter.com/PixelGuff/status/551153810362880000 guys guys guys

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Holy poo poo there's some serious spamming going on right here. Why don't you go play the game instead? Wait, you're doing all this while supercruising to the next grind point? Oh look 500 Ls, gotta go throttle down to low-blue-zone

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

I fire it off when I warp in at the star, and if I'm traveling thousands of LS away I fire it off intermittently. I hadn't thought of firing it off at the station. It's assigned to a weapon group.

It's a basic discovery scanner, nothing special. Most of the better discovery scanners are in the six-figure prices and I can't afford them right now.

A while back a few posters told me that ships came equipped with basic discovery scanners stock, but I found this not to be true when I tried to assign to a fire group. So I just bought one in place of a cargo hold.

Try to get the detailed surface scanner, at least. And if you can't afford the better scanners, try to use parallax to get other bodies. In moderation, mind you. Without the advanced scanner you can't possibly now if that third sun you're trying to reach is just outside of your scanner range or a couple hundred thousand light seconds away.

As a rule of thumb, stations and outpost are always around something, even if it's just an asteroid belt. But thanks to everything human-built being visible to you without scanning, you can find a lot of stuff by just flying to them and firing your scanner when you're close enough.

Of course, outside human space there are no stations. Only parallax-skills and better scanners can help you then. Well, and that old trick of hopping planets to find orbital bodies farther out. That trick works better with an intermediate scanner, though.

If you really want to get into exploration, you'll sooner or later need the money for the better scanners or you'll just waste your time.

As priority, try to get:

-Detailed Surface Scanner
-Intermediate Scanner
-Advanced Scanner

In that order. At least the first one is a must, the rest a matter of taste and/or OCD. (There are 400 billion systems, technically you don't have to scan everything down you see. :v:)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gonkish posted:

There's some way to drop cargo that doesn't involve it being marked as stolen, but hell if I know how that works.

He did not do that, so the space cops registered you as having stolen that poo poo and fined you accordingly. You would have had to avoid that scan through the use of something like dumping a heatsink, or simply getting through the mail slot more quickly. Presumably that's why you got blowed up by the station, you got marked as Wanted and it decided "Hey gently caress this guy"

On top of that, Diso Ma corn is a rare commodity. Those increase in value the further away you sell them from where YOU acquired them. Doesn't matter if your brother bought them 160Ly+ from where he gave them to you, you scooped them up where you were and went into that station, getting the bare minimum price for them. You would've have to have traveled 160Ly or more to get the most profit from them, and that would've required a black market as well, since they were stolen.

Basically, you both done hosed up. If he wanted to give you free money, he should have bought Palladium or Gold or something from a neighboring, and then dumped 4 tons of that outside the station for you to scoop. Depending on the demands of the system that would've netted you at least enough to cover your fine (although your fine would probably also have been higher).

Well that certainly clears up a lot of things. I also did not know that about rare goods, and have passed that on to him (along with a few choice brother-to-brother insults). He had apparently run into some sort of space Santa who gave him a bunch of expensive cargo, enough to get himself a fully-kitted Cobra MkIII.

Yeah the station blew me up because that 32k fine turned into a 32k bounty over the past couple of days when I didn't play so the moment I was out of the mail slot the station shredded me. I knew it was coming and prepared accordingly.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

On the Type-9 front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSjdCpXwiBw (EDIT: Forgot to add that this is not my video or ship.)

Type-9s: because gently caress you, that's why.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 3, 2015

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Gonkish posted:

On the Type-9 front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSjdCpXwiBw

The hell even happened there?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I honestly have no idea. He was swinging around to that pad, so he's clearly inside the slot... and then... poof. A few million for the ship, and presumably several million more for the cargo... gone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gonkish posted:

I... What the gently caress even killed that guy aside from ghosts and/or :fd: :psyduck:

In before "He should Just ticket it they will give it back and if they don't well that's Elite for you, casual"

This should not be overlooked though :allears:

EDIT: My "wait it's not HIS ship" edit wasn't fast enough :doh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Section Z posted:

I... What the gently caress even killed you aside from ghosts and/or :fd: :psyduck:

In before "Just ticket it they will give it back and if they don't well that's Elite for you, casual"

It's not my video (I should have made that clear). But it is hosed up.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Gonkish posted:

This made me strangely happy - both because I saw one of those loving T-9s explode violently, and because I know in my heart he did the right thing and picked the Sidewinder afterwards and got to enjoy flying again.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Aesis posted:

Interesting. If you engaged FSD to jump to another system, you can jump out even when someone tries to interdict you. Interdiction won't cancel FSD.
It's a little tricky. If you are still charging up your FSD, when it gets to the point that would normally ask you to "Throttle up to engage" or "Aim ship at escape vector," it will ask you to point toward the interdiction escape vector. But if you're already in the final countdown, you'll jump out instead.

We used to be able to use the safe disengage to drop out of supercruise the same way, but the only time I've managed it in gamma/release was when I dropped out just as someone was interdicting.

Aesis posted:

So here I was fuel scooping and got interdiction. What does the escape vector do? Take me right into the star. Got overheated to 200% and almost burnt myself to death, then got to 160% heat trying to activate FSD.
On the other hand, an emergency stop by running into a sun will shake the interdictor loose. :smug:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
He was coming in pretty quick though if that's his normal approach, and with full pips into engines, only 2 in sys. Probably the server had a small hickup and for a split second he interpreted as closer to wall then he thought? :confused:

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

He was coming in pretty quick though if that's his normal approach, and with full pips into engines, only 2 in sys. Probably the server had a small hickup and for a split second he interpreted as closer to wall then he thought? :confused:

That was a T-9, he had a good minute to the wall yet (well not quite, but he was still way far away - if lag was that bad he wouldn't have made it through the slot I think).

Edit: Also, shields are really thick on those things, they can survive quite a few bumps - a regular collision at that speed should leave him spinning with one shield layer left first, no instant kill.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

fezball posted:

That was a T-9, he had a good minute to the wall yet (well not quite, but he was still way far away - if lag was that bad he wouldn't have made it through the slot I think).

Edit: Also, shields are really thick on those things, they can survive quite a few bumps - a regular collision at that speed should leave him spinning with one shield layer left first, no instant kill.
Yeah it holds thin, though the 9 is really wide so he was cutting it pretty close to those towers when he flipped over.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a similar bug where I rammed into the station mailbox but only lost my shields down to the last sliver. The game, however, assumed that I had just bit the dust and gave me a trespass warning
Worth saying o had half fuel, so maybe I would've died in with full fuel.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

limaCAT posted:

I want to meet space Peter Gabriel so that we can fly in formation and do this with spaceships ->

gently caress yeah I am up for that!

I have hauled my rear end to LTT 700, guys, it's no Monkey Hangout that's for sure. This place is loving sterile, no style.

What station are we based at here?

In other news I met my buddy IRL tonight who also plays and also uses a Rift so we nerded out all night, chatting away about the price of cannisters of human poo poo, stolen fish and what not while our friends looked on in stunned shame, as I was leaving I said to him 'See you soon Commander' and he looked at me and said 'gently caress Off' - We all guffawed then I left, they didn't see it but I had a single tear in my eye as I went through the door into the lonely, cold, dark night.

This game is harsh.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I hope they have some more exotic designs coming up, it's one of the few things I've been digging about that other game [thunder claps outside the window]. Ships from different manufactures/whatever really look different.
Where's the Clipper, Federation propaganda bullshit poster :argh:

e: Absolutely love the style of the Python, Anaconda and Type-7 though

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:laugh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I just accidentally fired my heatsink into nothingness. It's really time I get back into civilization.

As an aside, is there a handy list of impressive sites in the Milkyway somewhere? I want to see what else there is closer to Sol, but Google doesn't want to tell me today.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Stations shooting at you is really pretty.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zsinjeh posted:

I hope they have some more exotic designs coming up, it's one of the few things I've been digging about that other game [thunder claps outside the window]. Ships from different manufactures/whatever really look different.

Where's the Clipper, Federation propaganda bullshit poster :argh:

e: Absolutely love the style of the Python, Anaconda and Type-7 though

It's pretty easy to pump out nifty concept drawings when nerds will shower you with cash for it.

They just finally got around to adding the Avenger didn't they?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Ugh, I just accidentally fired my heatsink into nothingness. It's really time I get back into civilization.

As an aside, is there a handy list of impressive sites in the Milkyway somewhere? I want to see what else there is closer to Sol, but Google doesn't want to tell me today.

Nearby to the civilized bubble we have lots of dark interstellar clouds (Pipe/Stem, Coalsock, various dark regions) with the sack being the closest. Those aren't nebula or anything just big dark clouds of dust. Nebula wise though the closest ones are still several hundred ly out and probably a few days trip.
Check out Epsilon Indi for the moon that orbits its planet once every twenty seconds or so

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Acquire Currency! posted:

Check out Epsilon Indi for the moon that orbits its planet once every twenty seconds or so

I really need to make a point of going to see this. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I really need to make a point of going to see this. :allears:

I checked the system map, the only moon there is listed with an orbital period of 0,1 days. Not exactly 20 seconds, but still pretty fast. Huh. Mitterand Hollow, orbiting a planet called New Africa. Sounds like French colonists, maybe?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Libluini posted:

I checked the system map, the only moon there is listed with an orbital period of 0,1 days. Not exactly 20 seconds, but still pretty fast. Huh. Mitterand Hollow, orbiting a planet called New Africa. Sounds like French colonists, maybe?
The rotational period (i.e., the time it takes to spin around once) is 0.1 days. The orbital period is listed as 0.0 days because it's so small.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Libluini posted:

Start heading towards the Omega Centauri globular cluster/corpse of dwarf galaxy.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Nearby to the civilized bubble we have lots of dark interstellar clouds (Pipe/Stem, Coalsock, various dark regions) with the sack being the closest. Those aren't nebula or anything just big dark clouds of dust. Nebula wise though the closest ones are still several hundred ly out and probably a few days trip.

I timed it at roughly 87 seconds. By comparison it takes the Moon about 2361600 seconds (27,3 days) to orbit Earth.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I am a fan of Freespace and Wing Commander, will I enjoy this game? If this was like 20-40 bucks I'd buy it right away but the $70 tag has me judging it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Looks like I'm not the only player who got an anomalous 5 billion credits in their wallet.
Massively article from this thread on the pubbie forums.

Edit:

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I am a fan of Freespace and Wing Commander, will I enjoy this game? If this was like 20-40 bucks I'd buy it right away but the $70 tag has me judging it.

It's pretty fun so far; space is gorgeous and huge, the hyperdrive has great sound effects and all the weapons feel solid. Mining, and scooping cargo can be a pain in the rear end though. Worth 40 Euros? I suppose you have to make your own decision about that. I've only been playing for about 3 days and I feel like I've gotten most of my money's worth so far, except for the transaction server issues that happened last night.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 3, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Itzena posted:

Start heading towards the Omega Centauri globular cluster/corpse of dwarf galaxy.

Added to my list of targets. (Right after I posted I found some nice lists on Wikipedia. Lots of pulsars and other neat things. When I'm back from my current journey, I'll test which targets are in and under which designation. Then the real fun happens. :getin:)

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just got wasted by Futen Spaceport over a 200 credit bounty. Thanks for the 400k insurance payment, guys :(

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Which has a better jump range when stripped to the bone, the Eagle or the Sidewinder?

EDIT: I officially found a trade route worth over 20k/tonhour and I'm sorry but I ain't sharing this one. Want to move all my poo poo to this area. "All my poo poo" is just a Viper and a Type-6 and the Type-6 is already at the spot.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Added to my list of targets. (Right after I posted I found some nice lists on Wikipedia. Lots of pulsars and other neat things. When I'm back from my current journey, I'll test which targets are in and under which designation. Then the real fun happens. :getin:)

Maybe you saw it but I didn't. Where is this cluster at? I tried looking for it through constellations but my gal map doesn't show those for whatever reason

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Maybe you saw it but I didn't. Where is this cluster at? I tried looking for it through constellations but my gal map doesn't show those for whatever reason

Uh, maybe you misunderstood something? I was making a list of targets to go look at, which means I have to go there first. So I don't know either. The cluster is supposed to be in the Taurus-constellation, if I remember right.

Try to type in Taurus in the galactic map, this should give out a lot of star systems and some kind of dark region. The cluster is probably there.

Edit:

Or I could be full of poo poo. It is supposed to be in the Centaurus-constellation, which the map refuses to find anything about. Weird.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Overwined posted:

Which has a better jump range when stripped to the bone, the Eagle or the Sidewinder?

EDIT: I officially found a trade route worth over 20k/tonhour and I'm sorry but I ain't sharing this one. Want to move all my poo poo to this area. "All my poo poo" is just a Viper and a Type-6 and the Type-6 is already at the spot.

Probably the Sidewinder, its base hull weight is lower.

• Locked thread