Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Track 24 is the Seiren team fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BlitzBlast posted:

If you don't have a MG Gundam X, you should get one!!!

Also you may as well pick up MG Build mkII.

Nono I mean which of those should I actually build

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

signalnoise posted:

OK I got

Musha Gundam MG
Strike Noir MG
Sengoku Astray MG
AGE-1 Razor
Build Strike Full Package
Gundam Airmaster
Exia Repair HG

Someone pick my next Mobile Suit Goddamn

Neo Zeong

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

signalnoise posted:

Oh. Airmaster, of course.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AGE-1 Razor. Those poor bastards deserved a better series.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Trying to get an action base for turn a MG.

http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/mg100/p/mg100_130.jpg

This kindof shows the connection, however it doesn't look like any of the adapters inclued in

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10052483z/70/1

I actually have an old 1/100 base but can't find the small plug (#11 in the manual)

Does it require a special connector that was included with the kit?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TARDISman posted:

AGE-1 Razor. Those poor bastards deserved a better series.

So many AGE suits deserved a better series. Especially a lot of the Vagan suits.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Which Destiny MG is bettert? There's one with the wing effect and one without, but I hear the one with the wing effect has issues with it's legs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I don't know much about Gundam AGE or why people don't like it, but the dragon robot looks dope as heck.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

madpanda posted:

Does it require a special connector that was included with the kit?

Bingo. It plugs into the back, it's how you open up the chest missiles.

Azubah posted:

Which Destiny MG is bettert? There's one with the wing effect and one without, but I hear the one with the wing effect has issues with it's legs.

They're the exact same thing. One just has more effect parts and some chrome runners.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Get the one with the effects parts :getin:

Also while I didn't get anything for christmas per se, I got a fair bit of money that I'm going to use that to buy some things. Already have a Berserk Fury ordered and hopefully on the way soon, and probably an Iron Kong too. Just trying to decide what MGs to get (I'm waiting for the double X blitz :v: )

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

signalnoise posted:

build the airmaster

and then buy a leopard and build that and then make them hang out

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 1, 2015

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Frankenstein Dad posted:

build the airmaster

and then buy a leopard and build that and then make them hang out

Don't buy a leopard, cause it will look horrible next to a modern HG kit.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Airmaster it is.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Alright, I've decided that my project for this year, or the start of it, is to collect the HGs of every mobile suit in War in the Pocket.

So far I only have Kampfer and Z'Gok-E, but there isn't actually that many in 0080, so it's a fairly realistic goal.

My birthday is in two weeks, so my next haul is gonna be the NT-1, GM Sniper II, Hygogg (THE HUGOGG) and GM Cold Districts (the best Jim)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And now it's 2015 for everyone.

Looking back, 2014 was loving weird. But in the best way possible.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

My Newtype resolution this year is to continue learning hand painting and topcoating.

Speaking of, how cold does it have to be before I worry about spraycans having issues? 31f in Chicago right now which isn't that cold.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My Newtype resolution is to finish the G-Self, get an airbrush setup, and start my Kshatriya. Bonus boss is getting myself an HG FA Unicorn.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

madpanda posted:

My Newtype resolution this year is to continue learning hand painting and topcoating.

Speaking of, how cold does it have to be before I worry about spraycans having issues? 31f in Chicago right now which isn't that cold.
You're usually OK at around 50. Much lower than that and you can see real problems when the paint freezes while in the air between the can and the surface. You will also have worse than usual problems with the can itself freezing up because of the pressure drop. Be sure to have a bucket of hot water to plop the can in after a couple of minutes of spraying. You might luck out depending on the exact formulation of paint, relative humidity, etc but try it on some scrap first. I personally wouldn't even try but ymmv.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=226756

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I finally hooked up that $90 airbrush compressor with a tank that you can get on Amazon.

HOLY poo poo

What a step up it is from the lovely tiny desktop compressor.

Press down, fully regulated pressure, no weird behavior, compressor is reasonably quiet.

Tried babby's first preshading on the GM QUEL and it looks pretty decent despite having shaky hands and poo poo airbrush control.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
which compressor is that?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Going to try and make the effort to paint my kits right and clean them properly. I'm using X-2 as a guinea pig. I've sanded the nubs, and it's left these visible scuff marks behind:

They feel smooth, so I figure painting will do away with them?

Also, what about the join seam? Plastic cement it together and sand it smooth?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah you're right about both of those. Depending on the grit you used, you might want to smooth it out with some progressive sanding.

Where did you get that, btw? I love the x-2 and i kind of want to get one

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

Yeah you're right about both of those. Depending on the grit you used, you might want to smooth it out with some progressive sanding.

Got it on a whim at Tokyo Toys in London, so paid more than I would with HLJ or whatnot. They sell gunpla at massive markup, manga and anime, cosplay stuff and mousemats with boobs.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Newtype's resolution for me is to get showroom automobile finish on kits that need them, like the Kämpfer Amazing. Also learn astute and smart alclad candy coating, instead of wasteful and not so good alclad... candy coating.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

which compressor is that?

http://www.amazon.com/AIRBRUSH-COMP...tank+compressor

They had it for Prime when I ordered it last week, but now it looks like it's back to TCP. Same for Ebay too, but $100 for a tank compressor is pretty amazing.

It's really wonderful to have - it runs for about 20-30 seconds to fill the tank, then as needed to keep it full. You could probably even let it run to fill, shut it off, do your brushing, and switch it on later if needed.

I'm not Super Gunpla Pro enough to have a situation where the lovely desktop compressor's variations in pressure caused huge issues, but it's really nice being able to say "this Alclad Gunmetal says 12-15psi, so I will set it at 15psi" and it stays there.

My Newtype resolution is to paint all my current kits, if for no other reason than to force me to slow down my building process, thus conserving my now-limited display space.

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 2, 2015

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

How do I stop my paint from constantly chipping? I'm spraying Mr. Metallic Color GX onto primed parts with Future topcoat, while trying to get the topcoat between the painted and unpainted sections. Every time I go to put pieces together, the edges constantly chip. Do I just need to wait the full week before I can put anything together? Do I need to just use a different topcoat? I've chipped every single model I've painted with lacquer paint so far and it's causing me to avoid painting altogether. Ironically, the one model that hasn't chipped was my first one, which was painted with acrylics and no topcoat, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

signalnoise posted:

Do you use primer?

Yes, although on the piece I just chipped, it looks like the underside of the part isn't primed(but I did spray the underside with Future). Should I be just making sure the underneath of every part has a healthy amount of primer and paint on it? Won't that affect how the parts fit and cause chips when I put the kit together?

EDIT: I went back over some airbrush tutorials and went over some stuff with my wife(it's her airbrush). It seems like a combination of not priming along edges and spraying too far from the pieces. I guess I start there. Thank god I have SDs in my backlog.

GoBob fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 2, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

GoBob posted:

How do I stop my paint from constantly chipping? I'm spraying Mr. Metallic Color GX onto primed parts with Future topcoat, while trying to get the topcoat between the painted and unpainted sections. Every time I go to put pieces together, the edges constantly chip. Do I just need to wait the full week before I can put anything together? Do I need to just use a different topcoat? I've chipped every single model I've painted with lacquer paint so far and it's causing me to avoid painting altogether. Ironically, the one model that hasn't chipped was my first one, which was painted with acrylics and no topcoat, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Do you use primer?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

Just realised that some parts need to be poly-cemented around other parts, which is going to get in the way of painting. For example, the arm has two pieces of shoulder which connect through the top of the arm, and there's the eyes, which are a purple piece of plastic inside the two halves of the head. Am I just going to have to do two batches of painting, before and after glueing?

Think I'm going to start on Exia Dark Matter or Rozen Zulu tonight. Both look excellent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just realised that some parts need to be poly-cemented around other parts, which is going to get in the way of painting. For example, the arm has two pieces of shoulder which connect through the top of the arm, and there's the eyes, which are a purple piece of plastic inside the two halves of the head. Am I just going to have to do two batches of painting, before and after glueing?

Think I'm going to start on Exia Dark Matter or Rozen Zulu tonight. Both look excellent.

Rozen Zulu has a hilarious amount of stickers, if you hadn't heard already.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Midjack posted:

Rozen Zulu has a hilarious amount of stickers, if you hadn't heard already.

It's a Sleeves MS. Ridiculous amount of stickers is par for the course.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's a Sleeves MS. Ridiculous amount of stickers is par for the course.

It's not a coincidence I've been asking about painting.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Finished the Nightingale my girlfriend got me for Christmas. Pretty fun build, I love bigger suits. Now for lining and decals, yay.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just posted some plamo on SA-Mart if anyone's interested. Kotobukiya Hitekkai Ginkei from Ikaruga, Hasegawa Harrier II Plus, Hibiki Ganaha version, because your Gunpla need a jump jet done up like an itasha.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692008

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of panel lining, do you more experienced plastic toy builders in this thread do the lining while the pieces are still in the runners, or do you only do it on the completed model? I can see the risk of smudging if you do it first being a problem, but trying to do it on an unwieldy completed model could be worse. Fortunately I kind of like a little bit of darkening and unevenness from trying to buff out mistakes with a Q-tip, so smudging isn't too big of a deal, but I'd still rather take the easier approach, since panel lining takes a long time either way.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Become adept at the C-joint cut friend

http://youtu.be/kib09kJe_T8

chumbler posted:

Speaking of panel lining, do you more experienced plastic toy builders in this thread do the lining while the pieces are still in the runners, or do you only do it on the completed model?

I prefer to leave lining to the near-end of the build, after postshading but before the first clear coat. If necessary I'll do it before a weathering wash.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 3, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

Speaking of panel lining, do you more experienced plastic toy builders in this thread do the lining while the pieces are still in the runners, or do you only do it on the completed model? I can see the risk of smudging if you do it first being a problem, but trying to do it on an unwieldy completed model could be worse. Fortunately I kind of like a little bit of darkening and unevenness from trying to buff out mistakes with a Q-tip, so smudging isn't too big of a deal, but I'd still rather take the easier approach, since panel lining takes a long time either way.

I do it after painting and gloss coating. It's easier to do if you do this before final assembly. Keep the limbs, body, head, weapons, etc separated and panel line them.

Also newtype resolution- not lose a single loving model piece this year There is no way that this will happen if the past 12 years are any indication. :suicide:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I should mention I'm not painting or sealing these, just doing panel lining on them out of the box. Still, it sounds like getting the various components together first is the way to go. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Finished the main body of Rex. Kinda kicking myself in the rear end right now though, because as I was assembling the railgun, the balljoint snapped off inside of the polycap in the gun itself. At least now I have an excuse to get a hand drill, but :argh:

e: nevermind, we're in business

JimmyBiskit fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 3, 2015