Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Party Boat posted:

The notion that CGI doesn't involve "care and craftsmanship" and isn't "actual artistry" is what's really insulting here. Would it be any better if a two hour effects wank was all practical?

If that's what you got out of what I wrote then I think you misinterpreted my point. I don't care if the CGI is well-implemented and useful, I just don't like being overloaded with special effects to such an extent that it completely removes me from the movie and I know I'm looking at an effects shot. CGI (and practical) should be used purposefully, meaningfully, and sparingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Then it sounds like your point is about excessively flashy action scenes, not CGI or even special effects in general.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Nipplebox posted:

CG effects jump out at me, but realistic animation helps a lot. Gollum was near-flawless in The Hobbit. Most jarring to me are bad greenscreens.

Why do people love Gollum but hate Azog? I've only seen the first Hobbit movie, but Azog was clearly more realistic-looking, and I didn't see anything wrong with the animation, either. Pretty sure they used mo-cap too, same as with Gollum.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cnut the Great posted:

Why do people love Gollum but hate Azog? I've only seen the first Hobbit movie, but Azog was clearly more realistic-looking, and I didn't see anything wrong with the animation, either. Pretty sure they used mo-cap too, same as with Gollum.

It's part of the cultural narrative to love Gollum because he was novel for his time but to hate Azog because he doesn't look like this busy mess:

Yes, people are literally saying "I wish Azog looked like this because practical effects are always better than CGI."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In the new movie that costume is actually in it for a few moments. It looks horrible.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

It's part of the cultural narrative to love Gollum because he was novel for his time but to hate Azog because he doesn't look like this busy mess:

Yes, people are literally saying "I wish Azog looked like this because practical effects are always better than CGI."

What are the major problems with that costume Computer Parts? And did it necessitate switching the whole thing to CGI and throwing out the actor's work rather than just redesigning the costume?

Cnut the Great posted:

Gollum was a much anticipated character made with cutting edge technology at the time and brilliantly acted, Azog is by the numbers as a character and people have become used to that sort of technical wizardry, are you really surprised by the different reaction?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 24, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

What are the major problems with that costume Computer Parts? And did it neccessitate switching the whole thing to CGI and throwing out the actors work rather than just redesigning the costume?

It's incredibly busy. Incredibly incredibly busy. It looks distracting, it doesn't look practical. There's no reason to speak up for it except for "lol gently caress CGI".

And the "why not just redesign" is missing the point - no one talked about a redesign until very recently. It's all been "this costume is so much better than that CGI poo poo we got" for the past two years.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

It's incredibly busy. Incredibly incredibly busy. It looks distracting, it doesn't look practical. There's no reason to speak up for it except for "lol gently caress CGI".

And the "why not just redesign" is missing the point - no one talked about a redesign until very recently. It's all been "this costume is so much better than that CGI poo poo we got" for the past two years.

You see, sorry if I'm going for the 'that's your opinion man' thing, but it is just an opinion, the orcs in the books and previous films have always looked chaotic and busy, I could easily argue that that's part of the appeal and works well thematically in trying to portray orcs as corrupted, dangerous and Primal.

In this costume hes got an interesting contrast between the white skin and blood red beard while the armor and its ornaments emphasizes his battle experience and authority over the other orcs. I don't think we can just act like the CGI version is objectively better, though I should mention I don't have any qualms with the look they went for.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

You see, sorry if I'm going for the 'that's your opinion man' thing, but it is just an opinion, the orcs in the books and previous films have always looked chaotic and busy, I could easily argue that that's part of the appeal and works well thematically in trying to portray orcs as corrupted, dangerous and Primal.

In this costume hes got an interesting contrast between the white skin and blood red beard while the armor and its ornaments emphasizes his battle experience and authority over the other orcs. I don't think we can just act like the CGI version is objectively better, though I should mention I don't have any qualms with the look they went for.

There's a bit of a variation. There are orcs that look like that, but they're usually the cannon fodder type:

Orcs we see close up are much cleaner. They might be rough around the edges but overall they have a much more consistent style, e.g.:

The contrast is actually the worst part about it. All of the orcs we see have a consistent theme, even if it varies from orc to orc. So for example there might be an orc that's primarily dark colors, or an orc that's primarily white (the commander guy from ROTK is who I'm thinking of here) but they are usually fully consistent. The red and white does not work, along with the gigantic beard.

The only real exception I can think of to the consistency theme is Saruman's orcs that have his White Hand on their face, and even that tells you something very important (i.e., the supposed Good Guy is siding with Satan).

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
Please excuse computer parts unbridled autism, he believes the Hobbit films are prime examples of CGI done right.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vaall posted:

Please excuse computer parts unbridled autism, he believes the Hobbit films are prime examples of CGI done right.

And you think black people should get shot by police.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
And lo, cinema discusso stopped and pondered, "which of those two beliefs is more repugnant to me?"

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

computer parts posted:

And you think black people should get shot by police.

Never happened but I see what you're doing here. Nice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slugworth posted:

And lo, cinema discusso stopped and pondered, "which of those two beliefs is more repugnant to me?"

Bullets are practical so I guess the CGI wins out.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Azog literally looks like a cutscene character from a PS2 game so I'm not sure what computer parts is talking about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rakovsky maybe posted:

Azog literally looks like a cutscene character from a PS2 game so I'm not sure what computer parts is talking about.

He actually looks like a playable character from Final Fantasy VII, don't try to make him seem better than he is.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

khwarezm posted:

What are the major problems with that costume Computer Parts? And did it necessitate switching the whole thing to CGI and throwing out the actor's work rather than just redesigning the costume?

Gollum was a much anticipated character made with cutting edge technology at the time and brilliantly acted, Azog is by the numbers as a character and people have become used to that sort of technical wizardry, are you really surprised by the different reaction?

I'm not surprised. I'm just pointing out that the differing reactions aren't really based on anything rational.

rakovsky maybe posted:

And, what? You could just about reach out and touch this?

Nostalgia is blinding you, I'm afraid. Gollum looks like a cartoon. Great mo-cap performance, great character, but CGI very much of its time. And that's okay.

edit: Sorry, I just realized this is still the Jurassic World thread.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The CGI dinosaurs in Jurassic World are pretty much visually identical to NES sprites.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Regardless, Azog as seen on screen could be achieved through makeup and costume. Gollum could not. That explains a great deal of the hatred, outside of Azog's character being as bland and forgettable as his design and implementation. And honestly, the screenshot Cnut the Great posted of Gollum looks far more realistic to my eyes than

Also, regarding the technology vs. artistry debate for modern day effects: if modern CG artists had to go on physical movement bootcamps, research and study real-world animal movement and behavior, and got to spend spend 3 or 4x longer on their shots - then the CGI in Jurassic Park would look awful in comparison. It also didn't hurt that a lot of them came from a stop-motion background, where they were already trained to make their creatures look like they had weight.

Also, the brachiosaur at the beginning and the T-Rex in the meadow eat the gallimimus both do look awful today. The gallimimus herd is pretty rough too if you don't let nostalgia get in the way.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 24, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't really understand why this argument is happening here anyway. All three Jurassic Park movies had a good mix of both CG and practical effects, there's no reason to assume the fourth won't be exactly the same. Especially considering they've had "leaked" on set pics of the physical dinosaurs they are gonna use. The director of the film has straight up said the trailer is far more CG then they are doing for the actual movie as well, like the park gate not being CG in the final movie.

Also Azog looked fine CG wise. His problem was just he was a very basic villain. His character and design was boring

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm not surprised. I'm just pointing out that the differing reactions aren't really based on anything rational.
Is it though? I think you're emphasizing the technical too much and not taking into account the fact that Gollum is seen as the most fascinating character in the whole LOTR universe by a lot of people. Serkis was able to capture that masterfully. Azog's got a decade worth of CGI advancement but not much else to be a memorable character or villain.

quote:

Nostalgia is blinding you, I'm afraid. Gollum looks like a cartoon. Great mo-cap performance, great character, but CGI very much of its time. And that's okay.

edit: Sorry, I just realized this is still the Jurassic World thread.

He didn't even bring up Gollum in his post what the gently caress?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

Gollum looks great. Especially in that shot you've chosen. Maybe there are bad composite shots of Gollum, but that particular one looks fine.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

khwarezm posted:

He didn't even bring up Gollum in his post what the gently caress?

Gollum was a part of the discussion we were having, here, in this thread. Calm down.

Macaluso posted:

Also Azog looked fine CG wise. His problem was just he was a very basic villain. His character and design was boring

I agree. So I guess we can all stop arguing about whatever it was we were arguing about.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

computer parts posted:

haven't seen the hobbit movies because I'm not a retard, but that dude looks loving dope

wanna see this guy in a cage with raptors

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

Unfortunately, I can't answer this without citing subjective experiences. Azog looks artificial to my mind, especially his unnaturally sparkly eyes. Eyes are commonly a dealbreaker for me when it comes to computer-generated characters. Gollum is also artificial, but his movement and interaction is immersive enough that my mind overlooks the red flags, and I accept that Bilbo is there playing the riddle game with the character. Of course, Gollum has had years of work put into him (though I always thought he was given a more cartoon-like appearance than I would have liked).

computer parts posted:

I don't know if you intended to attribute that position to me, but to be clear, I do not believe practical effects are always better. I find any debate over absolutist positions between practical effects and CG boring and meaningless.

That picture is of what was originally Azog, and then later Bolg, played by a 7-foot actor named Conan. I don't think a judgement about the prosthetic design can be made from that picture alone. I can't help but think transitioning to CG designs for the villains in the Hobbit films aided in expanding the films into a trilogy in a short period of time, as the Battle of the Five Armies contains extensive one-on-one confrontations involving Azog and Bolg. Unfortunately, many of the CG shots people complain about in modern films are the result of a lack of time.

More shots of the original Azog:

Jurassic World will have a mix of CG and practical effects, like the first film. I'm not completely sure why this argument is coming up now except as a response to the trailer, which is using incomplete effects.

Toady fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 24, 2014

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

computer parts posted:

I have to wonder how much of that is a generational gap. For example, people watch (eg) Transformers, and they know that the giant robots aren't there ...but they still feel it looks amazing anyway.

Transformers is a bad example because the effects are fantastic. Iirc scientific papers were written about some the breakthroughs made on the production.

The cinematography and choreography? Thats a different story.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Trump posted:

Transformers is a bad example because the effects are fantastic. Iirc scientific papers were written about some the breakthroughs made on the production.

The cinematography and choreography? Thats a different story.

Both also fantastic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's a line from the Rifftrax of JP that has stuck with me: "marvel at the special effects that people take for granted!"

Yup, that just about sums it up, really.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

:yikes:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a CGI Santa and a piratical effects Santa.

Because Santa is MAGICAL

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mr.capps posted:

You people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a CGI Santa and a piratical effects Santa.

Because Santa is MAGICAL

A CGI Santa doesn't have an eyepatch as opposed to a piratical effects Santa (which also sometimes a have a peg leg).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alhazred posted:

A CGI Santa doesn't have an eyepatch as opposed to a piratical effects Santa (which also sometimes a have a peg leg).

CGI Santa is Russian.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Raptor Pass comes through with an update: the dinosaurs page on the website has added several dinosaur fact sheets, including the Mosasaurus. Also:

Triceratops Page posted:

Did You Know?
Triceratops love getting scratched behind their shield-like frills.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-DKQeoO0o

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Yes, I am sure that the Hilton Isla Nublar Resort is going to be quite the dining experience. Ho ho ho

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Whatsa matter kid? Never had lamb chops?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I always like the cgi vs practical argument especially when it comes up about Alien 3. People always say it looks like lovely cgi despite it being a practical effect.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The cutest liddle practical effect. :shobon:

(Yes, yes, I know, but it's still funny damnit.)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I always like the cgi vs practical argument especially when it comes up about Alien 3. People always say it looks like lovely cgi despite it being a practical effect.
They always went for the (pretty awesome) guy-in-a-suit approach when the Alien was shown close-up or above the waist, otherwise it was a rod-puppet which looked like crap only because the bluescreening sucked. There's only one single CG shot in all of Alien 3 and it lasts for less than a second.

The whippet is only slightly more adorable than the final rod-puppet they used in the Assembly Cut. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

blackguy32 posted:

It's a good practical effect ruined by lovely computer compositing, so, it kind of is lovely CGI.

• Locked thread