Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

My friend thinks I should bring this to store champs:

quote:

Dash Rendar (51)
YT-2400 Freighter (36), Veteran Instincts (1), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Dash Rendar (2), Outrider (5)

Chewbacca (49)
YT-1300 (42), Veteran Instincts (1), C-3PO (3), Lando Calrissian (3)

I like chewbacca more than han but I tend to think Dash + HLC + Outrider is too spendy.

Is this more reasonable? I suppose I could swap the crew members around in any formation, but I've really liked Lando (crew) on the YT lately.

quote:

Chewbacca (49)
YT-1300 (42), Veteran Instincts (1), C-3PO (3), Lando Calrissian (3)

Han Solo (51)
YT-1300 (46), Gunner (5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Also, the single most critical point of an ACD build on a Phantom, is to always make sure you have -something- to shoot at. If you don't attack, you don't get the free re-cloak and you're a sitting duck. As a side note, avoid stress. If you're stressed, you still can't take actions even if they're otherwise free.

Basically, always make sure you're in a position to cloak again ASAP before committing to dropping your current cloak.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've heard good arguments for using Stygium instead. You lose the five, but you gain an automatic evade and that's worth at least one die and frequently two. Plus it's cheaper, doesn't really on the high pilot skill, and you're not locked into attacking every turn if you want to angle for a better shot down the road. If you do decided to disengage, you get a cloak and the evade.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

TheTofuShop posted:

My friend thinks I should bring this to store champs:

I like chewbacca more than han but I tend to think Dash + HLC + Outrider is too spendy.

Is this more reasonable? I suppose I could swap the crew members around in any formation, but I've really liked Lando (crew) on the YT lately.

You can't bring Dash Rendar along on his own ship!

In the second list, I would swap C-3PO onto Han, and dump Lando for PTL on Han.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ville Valo posted:

Barnes and Noble's website (claims to) have Millennium Falcon expansions in stock.

I ordered one because you can always use more Falcons.

FWIW, I ordered one last night and already have a ship date. Looks like they're finally back in stock.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

They aren't back in stock, its just that no one buys poo poo from Barnes & Noble because they charge MSRP so they still have inventory.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I've got a tracking number already from an order I placed last night. I sure hope they had them in stock!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Got my tracking number too, so fingers crossed.

I'd love to mod this one into either a Stellar Envoy or Falcon-with-Lightning-Gun from Dark Empire... but I'm too lazy/unskilled to do either.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
gently caress, I just ordered a Tantive IV while they were still $60 instead of $100 because it was the last one left. I don't know if I'll ever play with it, but it will look cool on my shelf. And it will let me play Fat Han. I didn't make a dumb investment... did I?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gammatron 64 posted:

gently caress, I just ordered a Tantive IV while they were still $60 instead of $100 because it was the last one left. I don't know if I'll ever play with it, but it will look cool on my shelf. And it will let me play Fat Han. I didn't make a dumb investment... did I?

It's far better than buying and painting a Warhammer 40k army,

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
And now that there's an Imperial huge ship on the way, maybe epic play will finally be a thing!

Right guys?

guys?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

overdesigned posted:

And now that there's an Imperial huge ship on the way, maybe epic play will finally be a thing!

Right guys?

guys?

:cawg:

Yeah, that would be fun. Get some use out of those pretty shelf ornaments.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

alg posted:

It's far better than buying and painting a Warhammer 40k army,

I have a few friends who are really into that and I'm glad I'll never do 40k ever. I have enough expensive and time consuming hobbies as is.

Plus I just kinda dislike the look of 40k's aesthetic and its universe in general so that really helps.

overdesigned posted:

Right guys?

guys?

I dunno, but if I get it, part of me wants to cut the wings off so it just looks like a small Star Destroyer instead of a small Star Destroyer with TIE Interceptor Wings, sorta like the troop carriers from episode II

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I did the same sometime over the summer. I've used the Tantive a grand total of two times, but C-3PO hits the table quite a bit.

Hopefully when the imperial ship drops we can get some epic games in.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Strobe posted:

I've heard good arguments for using Stygium instead. You lose the five, but you gain an automatic evade and that's worth at least one die and frequently two. Plus it's cheaper, doesn't really on the high pilot skill, and you're not locked into attacking every turn if you want to angle for a better shot down the road. If you do decided to disengage, you get a cloak and the evade.

The main problem with that build is the opportunity cost of losing the immediate recloak. You aren't just giving up the agility boost, you're also losing the ability to start your next turn cloaked, which costs you either an immediate reposition in response to the new board state, or another action if you keep the cloak up.

It's not bad, I just find the flexibility of almost always starting your turn in cloak is more useful to a high PS pilot.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My opinion is that Adv. Cloaking Device is great on the two named Phantoms, while Stygium Particle Accelerator is decent on the Sigma Squadron Pilot, because you weren't winning the PS bid with a value of 3 anyway.

I've seen arguments for ACD on Shadow SQ. Phantoms too, but I'm still not sure as 5 is fairly mid-ranged in the current meta.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If I'm thinking of grabbing a Falcon from B&N, are there any other starfighters I should try grabbing that are going to be pretty hard to find later? The A-Wing? The Firespray?

vvvvv Alright I figured I'd grab both the Falcon and Slave 1 and leave the A-Wing, since I would expect that shouldn't be too hard to pick up somewhere local later (I hope)

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 1, 2015

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

If I'm thinking of grabbing a Falcon from B&N, are there any other starfighters I should try grabbing that are going to be pretty hard to find later? The A-Wing? The Firespray?

Just get them all to be safe.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
My friend recently got a starter pack and was talking to me about building my own team to play against him. I would really like to make a team of all A-wings because they were my favorite ship when I was a kid. Would I get stomped on if he made a squadron with a more normal composition?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
A whole stack of Green Squadron Pilots with Chardaan Refit and Push the Limit seem really loving annoying to have to deal with, because you can take a whole loving stack of them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My list, when I have the funds, is going to be Tycho, Wedge, Wes and Hobbie (Yes, I know it clocks at 109). And I will make terrible jokes the entire game while playing.

(I will also run an actual z-95 swarm list, with Biggs with r2 and I wanna say Wedge)

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

A whole stack of Green Squadron Pilots with Chardaan Refit and Push the Limit seem really loving annoying to have to deal with, because you can take a whole loving stack of them.

hmm... if you drop that list from 5 A wings to 4, you can add autothrusters, test pilot, and predator to each of them as well. 4 of those sound REALLY annoying, especially for turret lists.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Am I missing something or are bombs a bit wank (terrible)? It says I drop the bomb 1 behind me, before moving, and then it deals damage to everyone at range 1 of the bomb. But surely, unless my opponent is a complete idiot, he knows I have a loaded bomber, and will just avoid that area? It seems really hard to set up a situation where you will catch even one ship with it. Have I made a massive mistake in taking this tie bomber? Also, are missiles/torpedoes worth it on them and/or TIE advanced?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I haven't tested it, but I think ion torpedos + bombs has the potential to do some amazing things.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Genghis Cohen posted:

Am I missing something or are bombs a bit wank (terrible)? It says I drop the bomb 1 behind me, before moving, and then it deals damage to everyone at range 1 of the bomb. But surely, unless my opponent is a complete idiot, he knows I have a loaded bomber, and will just avoid that area? It seems really hard to set up a situation where you will catch even one ship with it. Have I made a massive mistake in taking this tie bomber? Also, are missiles/torpedoes worth it on them and/or TIE advanced?

Take advantage of the fact that your enemy knows you have a loaded bomber. Use it for area denial. Either he flies into the zone and takes the hit, or he doesn't and maybe sets himself up for to get shot without shooting back. I've run two elite interceptors and two bombers with seismics and flechette torpedoes to fun effect. It was against other maneuverable arc-dodgers, and I was able to use the threat of the bombs to keep the enemy fighters where I wanted them, with no shot on my interceptors.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Having just received a core set for Christmas, I keep running into cards that I'm not quite sure how to resolve.

For example, Gunner: What counts as an attack that does not hit? Do I have to roll all blanks / unusable focus, or is it enough that all of my hit dice were countered in some way?

Any good place to look this kind of question up?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
An attack only hits if it you roll uncancelled hit/crit symbols, so if you roll two hit symbols and they roll two evade symbols, that's a missed attack.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 2, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
FFG keeps an FAQ up here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=174&esem=4

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Perfect, thanks!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I just wanna say that Chiraneau w/ Expose, Rebel Captive, and Gunner, Howlrunner, and two Academy Pilots is my favorite Imperial list right now, even if I can't fly TIE formations to save my life.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Just (apparently) snagged a Falcon and a Firespray through B&N. Thanks thread!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lord Of Texas posted:

Just (apparently) snagged a Falcon and a Firespray through B&N. Thanks thread!

snagged a falcon as well. Nice to see them below retail with free shipping.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Oh man, you weren't kidding about B&N's pricing and shipping. I even have a gift card I ought to use before they go out of business.

I don't care about powerful card combinations but I'd like a bigger ship for the imperials to allow for more varied games. Any votes for Firespray vs Shuttle vs Decimator? It seems like the shuttle might offer the most gameplay variety but I haven't seen any of them in action. The Firespray looks like it plays similarly to the Falcon and I have no idea what to make of the Decimator.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Oh man, you weren't kidding about B&N's pricing and shipping. I even have a gift card I ought to use before they go out of business.

I don't care about powerful card combinations but I'd like a bigger ship for the imperials to allow for more varied games. Any votes for Firespray vs Shuttle vs Decimator? It seems like the shuttle might offer the most gameplay variety but I haven't seen any of them in action. The Firespray looks like it plays similarly to the Falcon and I have no idea what to make of the Decimator.

The DECIMATOR isn't super great from my limited experience, but looks the coolest, so there's that.

Shuttle is mostly support from what I've heard and IDK about the Firespray at all.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

The Lambda Shuttle is almost too cheap. It comes with some great cards and a good player can make it a great ship.

The Firespray has one of the best bang for your buck pilots in the game - 33 points for a Bounty Hunter. It's a great ship, comes with some neat cards, and can be used in the new scum faction.

Decimator has some decent pilots with a ton of options. It's also a great ship but takes up a bigger chunk of your list and costs more in $.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just took the plunge. Just got two z-95s at a sharp discount at a brick and mortar Barnes and Noble. Will get the core set when I get back in Ottawa, cause it's the same cost, then I'll trade the two ties in it for an xwing, and I'll have my starting 100 points.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I went to my first tournament with my Defender/Soontir/Shuttle list! I won 2 out of 5, which for my first tourney isn't too bad.

First Game: Went against a luke with r2-d2 and lone wolf, a keyan farlander with PtL and Lando and Dutch with an ion turret and that droid that can refresh target locks. Managed to win 100 - 0 after I took down the B-wing early!

Second Game: Went against a 62 point Chimareau with 3 Academy pilots. Took down the Decimator to 1 hull but then I got destroyed and there wasn't much I could do about it. Flew badly as well, but learnt to keep the shuttle/defender further apart from then on.

Third Game: Went against a 4 B-Wing, 1 Z-95 list that was built for stalling for time. I managed to down a B-Wing but lost both my Shuttle and the Defender. Ended up with me running around with Soontir until I tried to go for the Z-95 (and did 3 damage) before being taken out. Dunno what I could have done to really do anything against a list such as this one with my list.

Fourth Game: Repeat of the second game, this time with one more TIE Fighter and a less tooled up Chimareau. Still didn't know what to really do against this list: managed to destroy a single TIE before losing everything.

Fifth Game: Went against a Chimareau/Echo list. Managed to take down the Decimator (finally!) before loosing Soontir. I had taken shields down on the Phantom by then and I got lucky and managed to destroy him.

I learnt A LOT in this tourney and I will definitely change my list, since it has a lot of vulnerabilities. Still, I had a lot of fun and I really enjoyed playing X-WIng in a more competitive atmosphere. Everyone was really nice and friendly as well!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Another thing, one of my friends that came with me to the tourney went for a jake/tycho list with Prockets?PtL/VI and Jan Ors with ion turret and managed to place second! Highlight was managing to do 8 damage to a Decimator after getting two crits that turned out to be direct hits. His alpha was quite incredible, especially when facing Phantoms (he had 98 points so was almost guaranteed having initiative choice). I was really impressed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well against my better judgement I went ahead and got it because it was on sale...

And yeah, I got a decimator too because it looked cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Store championships today. Seeing what will happen with

Capt. Jonus + cluster missiles + seismic charges
2x Scimitars with the same
Col. Jendon with Tactician

Victory probability: LOW
Hilarity probability: HIGH

• Locked thread