Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What a hypocrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

JebanyPedal posted:

Tbh my favorite part of Bethesda games are the blank unblinking expressions of the NPCs, there'll be some crazy poo poo going on and the dude next to you is just boring holes into your skull with his eyes ignoring everything around him, like he was behind the dead body contorting and twisting into vile shapes in the air the whole time and he wants to see your fear.
I just want you to know I laughed a lot at this, and I am going to imagine this as the canonical reason for the expression now.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

If we're talking Fallout: New Vegas, I just managed to step over a random piece of land outside the rocket facility (Repcon?) and get launched about 50 feet in the air. Almost like I landed on a platform just standing there with Boone looking at me disapprovingly. One step later and I plummet to my death. I really wish I could get this to happen on PC instead of on my 360 because at least then I'd have visual content for this thread.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh boy I'm just starting out with game development and I can't wait to ruin my life creating and maybe fixing bugs like these (unironically)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Techno Remix posted:

If we're talking Fallout: New Vegas, I just managed to step over a random piece of land outside the rocket facility (Repcon?) and get launched about 50 feet in the air. Almost like I landed on a platform just standing there with Boone looking at me disapprovingly. One step later and I plummet to my death. I really wish I could get this to happen on PC instead of on my 360 because at least then I'd have visual content for this thread.

I guess it's a nice change of pace from falling through the ground. :shrug:

They really haven't fixed it either, since I routinely see mammoths and horses flying into the air in Skyrim.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kimmalah posted:

I guess it's a nice change of pace from falling through the ground. :shrug:

They really haven't fixed it either, since I routinely see mammoths and horses flying into the air in Skyrim.

Making sure the ground is actually where it's supposed to be is loving hard when you have so much ground. Doesn't help that Bethesda will never, ever use a good engine.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Making sure the ground is actually where it's supposed to be is loving hard when you have so much ground. Doesn't help that Bethesda will never, ever use a good engine.

Yeah I see floating bushes, trees and rocks all the time too. I don't mind it and it's kind of funny. Until I dismount my horse and it rockets off into the atmosphere never to be seen again (RIP Shadowmere).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'll never forget the time in Fallout 3 when I left a building and the ground right in front of it hadn't rendered and I stepped off without looking down and fell into infinity. Startled the crap out of me.

Then I played Assassins Creed and it happened every couple of hours.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So finally fired up Skyrim.

The horse thief didn't run, he was sliding his way to freedom and bounced a few times after being shot.

This should be a promising start for glitches.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I buy Bethesda Gamebryo/Creation Engine games solely for the glitch-hunting.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
I've been able to get under the ground in Far Cry 4 by "parking" a vehicle wedged up against a tree or rock on a steep incline; the enter and exit sequence can sometimes push you below the surface....then you can use the wingsuit and/or deploy your parachute as you plummet toward the invisible underground sea.

Or you can fast travel somewhere to safety. Whichever.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Wow, they have implemented concussion simulation, that's pretty great.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

In today's episode of GTA V, Michael De Santa will be played by Shawn Michaels.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Hey, combo.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Watching drunk people try to navigate hills is one of my favourite youtube passtimes :allears:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh boy I'm just starting out with game development and I can't wait to ruin my life creating and maybe fixing bugs like these (unironically)

Imagine an object in a 3D game world that's a monitor. It can have a data blob object attached to it to make it play a video, display an image or display a textfile in oldschool b/w monitor 80-column mode while playing square wave midis.

Imagine an inhouse texture format. Everyone hates it so it gets updated and loses backwards compatibility with its previous version. One night a few months later support for loading the old texture format is removed, and nobody really notices since the editor had been silently converting old textures to new ones whenever they were accessed.

Imagine a big set of forgotten monitor objects in a little hidden room. The blob for them was a texture that was never updated for some reason and the engine handled it by feeding it to the 'fake terminal' handler.

Imagine starting that level, proceeding to that room and suddenly getting hit with a cacophony of flat notes coming from every monitor at once at random intervals. And then you move closer to the monitors and you see

code:

oval office.

on every single screen.

It was the file signature for the old format (author unknown) immediately followed by a control code that put it into midi mode, followed by the rest of the crap in the file.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Gallery of glitch GIFs (seriously too many to post here)

http://imgur.com/a/689AH?gallery

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The 4th one down isn't even a glitch. That's just Tokyo World Cup.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

synthetik posted:

Yep. This is great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal
At least one of those is deliberately induced with a mod, but they're all great. The Shepard one is amazing.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

haveblue posted:

At least one of those is deliberately induced with a mod, but they're all great. The Shepard one is amazing.

That and the referee glitch should be incorporated into the games as features. :colbert:

It's also weird how soccer game glitches always seem to end up with the dudes kissing.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
From the gallery just posted:

I take it its from the new Battlefield game "hardline". The long neck glitch was like a thing in the BETA version of BF 3!

Yet it has been present in every battlefield game since then, so I choose to view it as a feature.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes it's from battlefield hardline. Here's the source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69dh2VeuYE

Burn all video games.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

synthetik posted:

REMEMBER ME, EDDIE?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I don't have a version without text on it anymore, but this happened to me whilst playing Skyrim. Suddenly, my NPC had rollerskates.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lunar Suite posted:

I don't have a version without text on it anymore, but this happened to me whilst playing Skyrim. Suddenly, my NPC had rollerskates.

I was going to post this, but I only have the version with the "Deal with it" text and sunglasses.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

synthetik posted:

Aw yeah. "Get Down" is still my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

They need to send those fall-proof horses to Skyrim.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The horse thing is pretty funny but hopefully they'll do something about that glitch that puts Sera in your party

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bucketmouse posted:

Imagine an object in a 3D game world that's a monitor. It can have a data blob object attached to it to make it play a video, display an image or display a textfile in oldschool b/w monitor 80-column mode while playing square wave midis.

Imagine an inhouse texture format. Everyone hates it so it gets updated and loses backwards compatibility with its previous version. One night a few months later support for loading the old texture format is removed, and nobody really notices since the editor had been silently converting old textures to new ones whenever they were accessed.

Imagine a big set of forgotten monitor objects in a little hidden room. The blob for them was a texture that was never updated for some reason and the engine handled it by feeding it to the 'fake terminal' handler.

Imagine starting that level, proceeding to that room and suddenly getting hit with a cacophony of flat notes coming from every monitor at once at random intervals. And then you move closer to the monitors and you see

code:
oval office.
on every single screen.

It was the file signature for the old format (author unknown) immediately followed by a control code that put it into midi mode, followed by the rest of the crap in the file.

:aaa: ahahahahahaha

what game was that? Was it something you'd worked on?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
A terrifying glitch to a 13 year old me.

I was playing the original Quake, and had downloaded an X-Com Total Conversion for it. "Total Conversion" in this case was replacing the Quake weapons with X-Com themed ones, and I think one or two basic enemy models. One of these was pretty nifty - the replacement for Quake's grenade launcher, the small launcher. In X-Com it was an explosive stun weapon, so the modder reduced the damage significantly and made it freeze enemies in place for several seconds when hit. I decided it would be fun to slap on god mode and full ammo then repeatedly shoot enemies with it and see what kind of zany positions it would put them in.

After a few shots, the enemies blew into gibs. After several seconds, the gibs faded. Except for the monsters' severed heads. Which unfroze and began chasing me around the map, invincible, firing occasional projectiles at me.

The best I can figure is that the coding to freeze the monsters overrode the code to tell them that they're dead, stop chasing the player. Since their models were blown to pieces, the game figured the head is the most important part and created a terrifying sight of bloody low-res severed heads rolling madly around on the floor, flinging grenades from their mouths.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm sure everyone in this thread is reading Breaking Madden by now, but for those of you unaware, Beeftank has played his last game.

There are so many good glitches in that article, too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Breaking Madden continues to be one of the best things you can ever read.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Breaking Madden continues to be one of the best things you can ever read.

I'm surprised there aren't more people calling out EA on using such small memory spaces for scores yet. Sure, you won't see them break too often, but you can't tell me Jon Bois is the only man on the planet who buys sports games to gently caress with them.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Then wouldn't that make sloppy coding a feature?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I don't know a goddamn thing about football, so I don't get half the jokes, but I still enjoy Breaking Madden just for stuff like this:

quote:

The longer you ask Madden to process a nightmare, the more it becomes the nightmare. It starts forgetting to draw limbs. It fractures backs. It makes players fall through the Earth. BEEFTANK and I pressed forward.

Beeftank and I pressed forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Helix Snake made another skate 3 glitch compilation, it is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK7whNrLqX8