Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

Buick's "we don't suck anymore" campaign reminded me of Domino's "We don't suck anymore" campaign.

A while back Digiorno was advertising their new sauce. Now you go to the store and see the boxes stating the sauce is back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

How could you miss Derek Smart's Battlecruiser 300AD ad? This allegedlygot banned in the UK and later versions were "censored".

Original:

"censored" version:

Of course, for all I know this was manufactured controversy but in any case the game was poo poo so it didn't make much difference.

i remember PC Zone printed the un-censored ad on either the outward facing back page or the inside cover and it being a big deal at the time.

i also vaguely remember there being some trouble once (may have even been the same issue) when they did a two page spread about Elite: Frontier with a big picture of a (real) poo poo and a big title saying something like "Frontier is poo poo". wish I could drag that up somewhere.

i miss PC Zone :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wait, chorizo is fancy hipster food in Australia? In the American southwest, it's nasty hangover food.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

canyoneer posted:

Wait, chorizo is fancy hipster food in Australia? In the American southwest, it's nasty hangover food.

Take poo poo people eat when hungover, add 5000 miles, you get delicacy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Take poo poo people eat when hungover, add 5000 miles, you get delicacy.

It worked for polenta.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A whole lot of food that used to be considered absolute trash is now gourmet, like lobster. In the future, a meal of hot pockets could be worth millions of dollars, microwaved by the 6 finest chefs in the world.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

A whole lot of food that used to be considered absolute trash is now gourmet, like lobster. In the future, a meal of hot pockets could be worth millions of dollars, microwaved by the 6 finest chefs in the world.

Same with oysters. For some reason seafood was seen as the food of the poor for centuries until some French chefs realized how good crustaceans could be.

FutonForensic posted:

Also noteworthy is the "Flavor Pioneers" section, featuring the "Official IJustine Pizza" and the "Official Rooster Teeth Podcast Pizza." :psyduck:

I checked out the new Pizza Hut campaign, and they hired 4 semi-big youtube celebrities to design new pizza combos, probably to show off how "hip" they were. One article mentioned how these people have no food service knowledge and most "recipes" are usually product tested for months before being launched.

I ordered one of the new pizzas and its literally just extra sauces and glazes dumped on the same lovely pizza as always. They advertise "Free sauce drizzle" and "Free crust flavor" like its a fantastic deal.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

pentyne posted:

Same with oysters. For some reason seafood was seen as the food of the poor for centuries until some French chefs realized how good crustaceans could be.

I remember reading that seafood's bad rap was largely because most people could only get it canned, and canned seafood sucks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Toast Museum posted:

I remember reading that seafood's bad rap was largely because most people could only get it canned, and canned seafood sucks.

Lobster might've gotten really bad rep for being kinda like an insect that just gets in the way of actual fish. It also didn't help that apparently fishing vessels didn't have any way of transporting lobster back to shore without killing them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

Lobster might've gotten really bad rep for being kinda like an insect that just gets in the way of actual fish.

Exactly. People just saw them as giant bugs and sea pests. There were evenlaws that prisons couldn't serve too much lobster to inmates at a time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nucleicmaxid posted:

It worked for polenta.

Not to mention quinoa.

Also I had a massive brainfart and completely forgot how to spell it because it's hot as balls right now. Google managed to work it out from "kinw" which impressed me no end.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Spergminer posted:

I might be wrong, but isn't "I'd hit it" slang for sex in the United States? What is this ad trying to tell me?

HILF.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

canyoneer posted:

Nah. In America Chorizo is a sausage of an indeterminate Mexican origin. In Spain and Portugal, and thus Europe and likely Australia too, it's a hard cured smoked sausage similar to a salami in that it's a preserved pork product, not a fresh sausage that gets smooshed out of a skin. Either style might be what's being served in Australia, and given the article I'd guess it's the Mexican style. And that the Mexican stye is uncommon outside of the Americas, it would be easy to turn it into an exotic hipster food.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

WickedHate posted:

Exactly. People just saw them as giant bugs and sea pests. There were evenlaws that prisons couldn't serve too much lobster to inmates at a time.

Because the lobsters weren't boiled, and served with butter and lemon and all that poo poo.
Lobsters were just all thrown in a big pot and just smashed up into a big crunchy lobster jam.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Jastiger posted:

Can you post some examples of the "out of touch" marketing from McDonalds? I don't watch a lot of TV so I don't know what you're talking about and I'm curious.

Thoughtless posted:

Well, this is the classic one. I think it was posted earlier in the thread but...

Don't forget this hip new monstrosity:

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
There have been a few examples of failed marketing via internet participation. I think there is no greater example of this than when the internet sent Pitbull to Alaska. It's beautiful.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pitbull-heading-north-walmart-kodiak-alaska-232922477.html

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Discount Dracula posted:

There have been a few examples of failed marketing via internet participation. I think there is no greater example of this than when the internet sent Pitbull to Alaska. It's beautiful.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pitbull-heading-north-walmart-kodiak-alaska-232922477.html

How often do corporations attempt some blatant viral marketing and not have it blow up in their stupid faces?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

How often do corporations attempt some blatant viral marketing and not have it blow up in their stupid faces?

Not exactly a corporation, but let's ask Bill Cosby's PR team.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Well since he's a better corporate icon than a human being, I think it counts.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

hyperhazard posted:

I like that it's a blatant rip off of the minions from despicable me.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gaunab posted:

I like that it's a blatant rip off of the minions from despicable me.

Yes in that it has eyes, a mouth, and a vague humanoid form

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but yeah, you pretty much described a minion. Also the same studio that made minions made...Happy.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

hyperhazard posted:

A couple of months back I was watching Youtube on my Xbox and instead of a McDonalds advert, it was a corporate promo-reel and creative justification for this... thing. You know, the sort of stuff the creative agency would show to the suits in order to sell their concept. Clearly somebody figured a bunch of looped animations and corporate jargon about what "Happy" represents to kids and consumers was prime ad space. I think it was the first time I've never skipped an ad, just because it was so surreal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Because the lobsters weren't boiled, and served with butter and lemon and all that poo poo.
Lobsters were just all thrown in a big pot and just smashed up into a big crunchy lobster jam.

Lobsters are also not kosher which hurts their reputation. They're also bottom dwellers that just kind of eat like whatever. They're basically the dump trucks of the ocean.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
A small upside to the creepy happymeal is that it did give us some good pictures;

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Lobsters are also not kosher which hurts their reputation. They're also bottom dwellers that just kind of eat like whatever. They're basically the dump trucks of the ocean.

Delicious, delicious dump trucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So following up McDonalds. In addition to the aforementioned campaign there was also their Q&A session hosted by Grant Imahara that rapidly devolved into customers either asking "is your food actually meat?" or some variation of "why is your food so terrible?". According to ever useful things like "Brand Index" they're up 25% with millennials. 25% of what over what nobody knows, its advertising baby!

But that's the past and this is the now. "I'm Lovin It" is staying but they'll be featuring the phrase "Choose Lovin'" in their commercials that will features things like Republican and Democrats hugging and Joker and Batman doing the same presumably because they're going to choose lovin. Sweet, sweet Smurf and Gargamel (yes that's another named pair because you gotta get characters popular from 1985-2000) lovin. In addition like I mentioned before Millennials eating at restaurants where you can pick ingredients is terrifying them so 2,000 locations in 2015 will be updated to provide a customizable menu called "Create Your Taste" while the cut the actual number of options on the menu

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Lobsters are also not kosher which hurts their reputation.

:lol:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Cavenagh posted:

Nah. In America Chorizo is a sausage of an indeterminate Mexican origin. In Spain and Portugal, and thus Europe and likely Australia too, it's a hard cured smoked sausage similar to a salami in that it's a preserved pork product, not a fresh sausage that gets smooshed out of a skin. Either style might be what's being served in Australia, and given the article I'd guess it's the Mexican style. And that the Mexican stye is uncommon outside of the Americas, it would be easy to turn it into an exotic hipster food.

This is it to the t. Chorizo is a fancy hard sausage and in fact the idea that a chorizo could be a raw sausage is completely foreign to us :australia:

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

IslamoNazi posted:

This is it to the t. Chorizo is a fancy hard sausage and in fact the idea that a chorizo could be a raw sausage is completely foreign to us :australia:

I've got a deli close by that sells fresh chorizo in the sausage section (along with delicious duck and pork sausages) that are great to cook on the bbq but other than that it's all cured. Sorry about your gross smooshy chorizo America.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

fliptophead posted:

I've got a deli close by that sells fresh chorizo in the sausage section (along with delicious duck and pork sausages) that are great to cook on the bbq but other than that it's all cured. Sorry about your gross smooshy chorizo America.

Looked at coles online and even they are selling a lovely uncooked sausage called chorizo for $16/kg

Cavenagh posted:

Nah. In America Chorizo is a sausage of an indeterminate Mexican origin. In Spain and Portugal, and thus Europe and likely Australia too, it's a hard cured smoked sausage similar to a salami in that it's a preserved pork product.
Adding to the confirmation above. It's normally/supposed to be a cured spicy sausage (in the euro style), of Spanish origin. Normally thinly sliced like pepperoni, can be thrown on pizzas like that too, but often sliced and used in paellas, other rice dishes, pastas etc.
E: Holy poo poo, I've got to go through my Mexican/cured meat recipe folders and check/make notes of any recipe that called for chorizo in them and change it to regular raw sausage, I only knew of the cured and smoked chorizo before.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Jan 3, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kith_groupie posted:

They need to address that, not act like it's something your ethnic grandmother made.

What is your dolmio day?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0rSuErqB5w

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I over heard a conversation with someone who knew the people that did the Matthew McConaughey Lincoln ads. Apparently no one liked it except Lincoln so a bunch of people said "gently caress it", put it on, and then people were shocked-SHOCKED-when it didn't work out as planned.

APparantly corporate marketing is a real bitch of an industry.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fliptophead posted:

It's actually super delicious. It's just also hangover/drunk food.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

BattleMaster posted:

It's not really obvious until you see the commercials, but yeah, they're basically minions with noodle arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWW_ZBmn-fs

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

It's not really obvious until you see the commercials, but yeah, they're basically minions with noodle arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWW_ZBmn-fs

That creepy minion/box thing reminds me of that talking food bag character that Rally's has now. Except the happy meal box is kind of unsettling the more I look at it.

Maybe it's that lower-eyelid thing it has going on? Just looks really unhinged, but not in a fun-crazy way. More like a last-thing-you-see-before-it-eats-your-face-crazy.

:unsmigghh:

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

nucleicmaxid posted:

It's actually super delicious. It's just also hangover/drunk food.

That sounds pretty good actually!

To contribute here's an ad that was broadcast in Australia for a while: http://youtu.be/AEUAljNrifw

As you can imagine it caused quite a stir.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jastiger posted:

APparantly corporate marketing is a real bitch of an industry.

If you've ever worked directly with a client for even 15 minutes you learn that some really, really not-qualified people get the purse strings to way, way too much money. And I don't mean "doesn't understand media math/terms/ad sizes" I mean like "pulled their children from public school because Obama got elected president."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

WebDog posted:

Oh the N-Gage had far far more disturbing ads.

To sort of set the scene, Sony were well known for their off the wall "The Next Place" ads that generally promoted the console as a generally mature device, though disturbingly explicit ads.

Nokia's attempt was to play up the angle of it's multiplayer capabilities, back then pairing up with Bluetooth.

I think there was others suggesting creepy sexual overtones set in a car backseat and in a tent in the night.
But you can see why this really failed. Plus having a gaming ad that implies you lost doesn't quite carry it's message far.
There was one that showed a dingy mattress and some blankets in the corner of a park somewhere, with a caption that read "This is where my friend's little sister turned out to be quite an animal" in Finnish.

I wish I was making that up, but I saw the poster several times at the local game shop back in 2003. I'm guessing that one didn't make it overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

If you've ever worked directly with a client for even 15 minutes you learn that some really, really not-qualified people get the purse strings to way, way too much money. And I don't mean "doesn't understand media math/terms/ad sizes" I mean like "pulled their children from public school because Obama got elected president."

Well Obummer did push Common Core through congress, so in retrospect they made the right choice.