Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zoe posted:

I know future dead Terezi was trying to be subtle and all, but I kinda wish she'd just had John write IT'S THE CLOWN, KILL THE loving CLOWN (AND DON'T KISS HIM EVER!)

In addition to the aforementioned lack of MANIPUL8TION in this plan, it bears mentioning that the loving clown has proven remarkably resistant to being killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doc Scratch is oblivious to the actions of Hussie and other beings who exist on the same plane of narrative reality. John is one of them, now.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I was just looking over that part myself. It seems that the characters fighting over the narrative are Hussie (dead), Doc Scratch (dead), Caliborn, John, and some day Calliope once she starts to believe in herself.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This latest Paradox Space comic managed to make Kankri if not likeable, at least somewhat acceptable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"Planted a tree in his honor" is actually a pretty good gift idea for Kankri, so Dave is more thoughtful than I'd give him credit for (if it was his idea).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ThaumPenguin posted:

Also the newest Paradox Space update is adorable.

Welcome to the Nudeseum. :awesome:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

thanks alot assbag posted:

I was just looking over that part myself. It seems that the characters fighting over the narrative are Hussie (dead), Doc Scratch (dead), Caliborn, John, and some day Calliope once she starts to believe in herself.

Hussie being dead doesn't seem that crucial, he was interacting with Caliborn through the console long after he'd been killed. Scratch seems to have been completely obliterated, though.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

One. Doc Scratch is omniscient. Did you really think he wouldn't notice some simple minded fool clumsily zapping about? Did you really think he wouldn't be prepared for that?

Whatever happens I doubt Doc Scratch didn't already know it would. All this rejohning might just be one more part of his long con.
Well he doesn't know everything pertaining to things in Paradox Space. I mean when the disc got scratched he did that 'relying on probabilities' thing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How does Scratch's omniscience works?

If Scratch's omniscience works like that of Laplace's Demon, then it stops working once the world desyncs from its simulation in his cueball brains due to the unpredictable actions of something outside of the system.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Kgummy posted:

Well he doesn't know everything pertaining to things in Paradox Space. I mean when the disc got scratched he did that 'relying on probabilities' thing.

That was specifically in regards to Terezi's vision of the scenario where Vriska fought Noir, which was pretty much just a hypothetical situation--not even a doomed timeline. Probability was the only way to go about declaring a winner, but it didn't actually matter because that version of events was cut off.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

life_source posted:

It takes being a big man to admit you are the one being owned.

This is an important factor in John's growing up, and why he will win.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Cat Mattress posted:

How does Scratch's omniscience works?

If Scratch's omniscience works like that of Laplace's Demon, then it stops working once the world desyncs from its simulation in his cueball brains due to the unpredictable actions of something outside of the system.
We don't know if his omniscience can stop working, but he seems to be privy to anything that happens in the "alpha timeline" and can happen within it. He knew the consequences of Terezi not killing Vriska for example, though he didn't bother to go much further than "Vriska and Bec Noir fight." If John is essentially rewriting the alpha timeline and doings things that can't be predicted, I imagine it's no different than how he didn't know Vriska had his cueball. Terezi had to tell him before he found out, so likewise John will have to do something very noticeable to grab his attention. Moving around a doll and making small notes on walls will most likely fly by his radar. If Terezi attempts to go after Gamzee and not Vriska, that'll be something he can't miss.

Maybe we'll find out soon with all the changes being made since John is in striking distance now, since he can't warp to other universes with the Green Sun.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

lotus circle posted:

I imagine it's no different than how he didn't know Vriska had his cueball. Terezi had to tell him before he found out, so likewise John will have to do something very noticeable to grab his attention.

He didn't know Vriska had his cueball because Vriska lived right next door to Equius, a void player, and that made it hard for him to see her.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

lotus circle posted:

We don't know if his omniscience can stop working, but he seems to be privy to anything that happens in the "alpha timeline" and can happen within it. He knew the consequences of Terezi not killing Vriska for example, though he didn't bother to go much further than "Vriska and Bec Noir fight." If John is essentially rewriting the alpha timeline and doings things that can't be predicted, I imagine it's no different than how he didn't know Vriska had his cueball. Terezi had to tell him before he found out, so likewise John will have to do something very noticeable to grab his attention. Moving around a doll and making small notes on walls will most likely fly by his radar. If Terezi attempts to go after Gamzee and not Vriska, that'll be something he can't miss.

Maybe we'll find out soon with all the changes being made since John is in striking distance now, since he can't warp to other universes with the Green Sun.

Does Vriska fighting Bec really amount to much more than casualties? I dunno if she's done bad enough for it to be Just, and it's certainly not Heroic to be a gloryhog.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He didn't know Vriska had his cueball because Vriska lived right next door to Equius, a void player, and that made it hard for him to see her.
Does it ever outright state that? Would that be our first in-story explanation that "Void players can block omniscience"?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Classtoise posted:

Does Vriska fighting Bec really amount to much more than casualties? I dunno if she's done bad enough for it to be Just, and it's certainly not Heroic to be a gloryhog.

Does it ever outright state that? Would that be our first in-story explanation that "Void players can block omniscience"?

I can't remember if it's outright stated, but I do know that later Mindfang does the exact same thing with Darkleer: She uses his void to hide a magic cueball. The implication is that the cueballs aren't the things that Doc scratch can't see or control (once he knows the ball is there he can change its' answers and even make it explode) it's the area around void players that make it hard for him to see things.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Cabbit posted:

Hussie being dead doesn't seem that crucial, he was interacting with Caliborn through the console long after he'd been killed. Scratch seems to have been completely obliterated, though.

Yeah, Hussie's kind of a weird narrator overall. It is him writing the story no matter what, so probably nothing to overanalyze.

Speaking of overanalyzing, it occurs to me that it's sort of funny that Gamzee so plainly dies in [S] Game Over. I wonder if one of the overall results of John's retcons will actually cause him to NOT die, and sort of retcon him INTO existence. He does need to take care of Caliborn. Gamzee's timeline is kind of weird

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I refuse to believe that vile clown is somehow necessary to the story. Hussie was just saying that to gently caress with everyone.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zoe posted:

I refuse to believe that vile clown is somehow necessary to the story. Hussie was just saying that to gently caress with everyone.

Gamzee is directly responsible for Fefetasprite.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Lizard Wizard posted:

Gamzee is directly responsible for Fefetasprite.

Fefetasprite was stupid. :colbert:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Please leave.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Almost as stupid as Jaspersprite, really.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Zoe posted:

Almost as stupid as Jaspersprite, really.

Get lost you loving piece of poo poo.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gamzee plays a necessary role in the timeline, in that he did things to make Caliborn happen, so if John wants the timeline to make sense then Gamzee still needs to manage those things.

That gets me thinking though. Right now, John, Roxy and LOWAS are protected from the consequences of John messing around with the timeline because John's disconnected from canon and has stashed Roxy and his planet outside of continuity.

So, why doesn't John just stash all of his friends out of continuity that way? He could just pluck them all from the timeline and they could live together wherever LOWAS is now. That way it doesn't even matter if the Alpha timeline is consistent or makes sense anymore, the actual universe can be allowed to consume itself in unresolvable paradoxes.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dolash posted:

So, why doesn't John just stash all of his friends out of continuity that way? He could just pluck them all from the timeline and they could live together wherever LOWAS is now. That way it doesn't even matter if the Alpha timeline is consistent or makes sense anymore, the actual universe can be allowed to consume itself in unresolvable paradoxes.
Logical, but it'd be kind of a bummer letdown ending to everything built up over the years. Everyone is on some desolate rock of a planet and no progress is made anymore to even creating a new universe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Classtoise posted:

Vriska also contributed to Bec Noir's creation by manipulating DD into making Bec. She also basically gloats about it, and also had just killed Tavros even though she could have just flown away. Vriska's death was at the end of a day where she plenty of hosed up things and they may have contributed to her ruling. Especially considering she only helped create Noir so that their showdown would be dramatically appropriate. Which is pretty morally bankrupt.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Dolash posted:

Gamzee plays a necessary role in the timeline, in that he did things to make Caliborn happen, so if John wants the timeline to make sense then Gamzee still needs to manage those things.

That gets me thinking though. Right now, John, Roxy and LOWAS are protected from the consequences of John messing around with the timeline because John's disconnected from canon and has stashed Roxy and his planet outside of continuity.

I've started to think that John will do exactly that, in that he'll stash characters away, and then somehow shuttle them back into before Act 6 Act 6 started and continue them all to Act 7. Calliope's narrative will pick them all up and continue without Caliborn's influence. I just think it would be a neat direction for the comic to go in anyway

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Okay, this only just occurred to me, but by throwing all the Alternate Johns under the bus, isn't he doing exactly what he called Vriska awful for in the name of ultimate victory?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

WAR FOOT posted:

Okay, this only just occurred to me, but by throwing all the Alternate Johns under the bus, isn't he doing exactly what he called Vriska awful for in the name of ultimate victory?

Surely the alternate timeline Johns were all doomed anyway, though? And it's not as if they're double-dying - they'll just go to the dreambubbles. Also they're all him, so they'd presumably make the same decision in his place.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

pumpinglemma posted:

Also they're all him, so they'd presumably make the same decision in his place.

Yeah, I think this is the big thing. Vriska and Arenea were taking control of people against their will and putting them in a situation where permanent death is guaranteed for a plan they had no say in.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Vriska also contributed to Bec Noir's creation by manipulating DD into making Bec. She also basically gloats about it, and also had just killed Tavros even though she could have just flown away. Vriska's death was at the end of a day where she plenty of hosed up things and they may have contributed to her ruling. Especially considering she only helped create Noir so that their showdown would be dramatically appropriate. Which is pretty morally bankrupt.

So Terezi is still going to kill Vriska, but actually feel justified in it because she DIDN'T leave herself only two options.

It's just that still killing Vriska is the best option.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

life_source posted:

So Terezi is still going to kill Vriska, but actually feel justified in it because she DIDN'T leave herself only two options.

It's just that still killing Vriska is the best option.

That would be an insanely lame payoff for all this build up.

Like, I know Hussie has joked around with anticlimax stuff in the past but by this point it's turning into this thread's version of "the last panel would be better without words".

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

paranoid randroid posted:

That would be an insanely lame payoff for all this build up.

Like, I know Hussie has joked around with anticlimax stuff in the past but by this point it's turning into this thread's version of "the last panel would be better without words".

I would argue that not killing Vriska would be pretty lame. She never learned as much in life as she did spending 3 or 10 decades chilling with Meenah in the afterlife. What would bringing her back accomplish? No, I'm sure this is definitely about Gamzee.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well the Gamzee situation is part and parcel of the Vriska situation, and Terezi knowing in advance that the clown is nuts doesn't really change much.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
Terezi goes after Gamzee, doesn't notice Vriska, she goes off to fight Jack, John disperses her trail of fairy dust, she gets killed fighting him.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Jazu posted:

Terezi goes after Gamzee, doesn't notice Vriska, she goes off to fight Jack, John disperses her trail of fairy dust, she gets killed fighting him.

I would be okay with this. She'd probably even net a rating of Heroic that way which...changes nothing all, fatty still dead.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

pumpinglemma posted:

Surely the alternate timeline Johns were all doomed anyway, though? And it's not as if they're double-dying - they'll just go to the dreambubbles. Also they're all him, so they'd presumably make the same decision in his place.
Absolutely. After all, beta John's Choice helped set this all in motion.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Call me crazy but I do not feel that the solution to Terezi spending three years in an emotional crisis over killing someone is "get them killed, but in a different way"

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Call me crazy but I do not feel that the solution to Terezi spending three years in an emotional crisis over killing someone is "get them killed, but in a different way"

Terezi wasn't so much upset that she killed her, but that she was being a lovely Seer by allowing herself to get painted into a corner where 'kill her/don't kill her and everyone dies' were the only two options.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It makes sense to me. Vriska's death becomes her own fault, not Terezi's. The two can now talk more freely. After three years, Vriska has calmed down enough that Terezi convinces John to give her the ring.

Boom. Alive Vriska, mostly-the-same timeline, and Terezi's conscience is vindicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Welcome to MSPaint Wishful Thinking.