Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or how about actually contacting the PO and asking him what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

Or how about actually contacting the PO and asking him what the gently caress.

I unfortunately did try this.

Guy bought it from the PO as is, didn't really do any work on it, and didn't have his PO's contact information.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

Don't worry, folks. I sent Sperg a good staple of stuff he'll need. He'd better post his progress. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If there weren't videos of the OP's lack of fashion sense I'd think this was a troll for sure.

Unless the pants are a troll too, and the other goons are in on it :tinfoil:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Automotive Insanity › Z31 Sprergin', leica trollin'

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

If there weren't videos of the OP's lack of fashion sense I'd think this was a troll for sure.

Unless the pants are a troll too, and the other goons are in on it :tinfoil:

Oh no. I actually enjoy wearing those pants.

The only problem I have with them now is that the zipper broke and they're too tight because I'm fat. :<

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008

DoubleT2172 posted:

This is a stack of recepts for about $3-4000 dollars in parts that i've had to replace in the last 6 years to keep the car running. All done by me, no labor cost factored into that. This does not include the wrecked parts car that i also bought to pull parts from if needed.

I'd advise you to sell it, buy a junker car that you don't care about, and ruin that by learning to work on cars. Don't ruin a Z trying to learn to work on cars, please.

As a fellow Z31 owner I have to ask you where all that cost came from and what kind of condition your car is in. I bought mine for a grand with a bent valve and almost everything else was fine, It's been fairly easy so far and I've learned to wrench on it as problems have come up but since replacing that valve nothing has been major surgery. OP, don't get discouraged, it sounds like one of the PO's really hosed with this car but the Z31 is not a super complex machine. If anything, I'd encourage you to sell the turbo and go N/A, it's cheaper, simpler, and will probably leave you with almost enough money for another car. Besides, most of the turbos have been either hosed with or thrashed since the 80's and there's really not too much difference between the engines until you get to 4-5k RPM anyway. You can work on these cars, but they will rust and parts will wear out, there is little to no aftermarket support, and eventually I'm guessing this car will eat itself or rot away from something you can't see. Here, have some cutaways and feel better:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Allow me to remind everyone:

E: I should have thrown a can of Rustoleum BBQ black in with the rest of the goodies. :ohdear:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 27, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

USPS posted:

DATE & TIME STATUS OF ITEM LOCATION
December 29, 2014 , 11:49 am Delivered, In/At Mailbox IL

I sincerely hope the OP is going to dig in and give us a full health report on his car (and parts used from the Nissan repair kit). :colbert:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

West SAAB Story posted:

I sincerely hope the OP is going to dig in and give us a full health report on his car (and parts used from the Nissan repair kit). :colbert:

I got the package!

Buncha zip ties and stuff. Thanks again for the package, by the way, I will definitely put the stuff in it to good use.

Although there is a new issue.

The alternator belt has vanished again. Like completely and utterly vanished. So I'm going to pick one up (about 30 bucks? not too bad), and see how hard it would be to slap a new one on there myself, and see if its one of the pulleys seizing up that is causing a catastrophic belt vaporization.

Clutch slipping is a big deal, but not a big deal compared to other issues with the car.

Currently also investigating what the idling issue could be, heard there was an issue with 300ZXs with idling that is supposedly a recalled part and/or an easy fix, so that could be not a super big issue at all.

Overall, I've got work to do this week. Installing a new belt shouldn't be too hard, it's just troubleshooting why they are disappearing is gonna be difficult. I figured the belt squealing was because of the cold weather, but perhaps it is something far more.... Sinister.

fishception fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 30, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Turn the pulleys while the belt's off and see if any of them feel wrong (hard to turn, grinding, loose/wobbling feeling, etc).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Fucknag posted:

Turn the pulleys while the belt's off and see if any of them feel wrong (hard to turn, grinding, loose/wobbling feeling, etc).

This, also make sure all the pulleys are in alignment. Who knows what kind of junk the PO could've put on just to get it running to sell.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

For what its' worth, this is what was sent:

What isn't harbor freight.. is nearly harbor freight. Good luck with your car.

Not sure what you can use the suction cups for. Hang a bra over the rear window? :pervert:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_02fID1_g

Tempted to use this little guide and the water test once I install the new belt to see what's up.

Hopefully it's not the alignment, because it seems to me that alignment is more than likely the most horrible thing to try and fix.

Edit:

I am officially hired by the Car Rental place literally 2 minutes walking from my door. VICTORY.

fishception fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 30, 2014

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Clutch slipping is a big deal, but not a big deal compared to other issues with the car.

Currently also investigating what the idling issue could be, heard there was an issue with 300ZXs with idling that is supposedly a recalled part and/or an easy fix, so that could be not a super big issue

The clutch slipping should be a pretty big deal and, since you're just learning the ropes of a standard transmission, you're wearing it out that much faster. Still, better to trash an already slipping clutch than a new one. Start budgeting now for the parts, or parts and labor. You paid someone to fix the alternator/water pump belt and it promptly unfixed itself in short order---what do you think a clutch job is like?

Also if you're having idling issues maybe you should trash that BOV like so many other people have suggested--your car is far from stock in the worst way possible so do you think that a recall decades old is the issue?

Edit: He should replace the BOV with a CBV right?

stone soup fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 30, 2014

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Yeah, definitely check and see if the pullies are in alignment. It doesn't take much for them to start eating belts- the water pump and A/C on my Mustang were out by maybe an eighth of an inch and it happily sliced a belt clean in two before I caught it. Fixing it was pretty easy, though. I scavenged a couple of washers from the engine bay and threaded them on to the accessory bracket bolts until it was in line with the water pump. Worked perfectly. Not bad for a side of the road fix.

Don't drive it until you know why it's throwing belts. Isn't the water pump on the same accessory belt as the alternator on this car?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I am officially hired by the Car Rental place literally 2 minutes walking from my door. VICTORY.

Grats.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Propaganda Bob posted:

Yeah, definitely check and see if the pullies are in alignment. It doesn't take much for them to start eating belts- the water pump and A/C on my Mustang were out by maybe an eighth of an inch and it happily sliced a belt clean in two before I caught it. Fixing it was pretty easy, though. I scavenged a couple of washers from the engine bay and threaded them on to the accessory bracket bolts until it was in line with the water pump. Worked perfectly. Not bad for a side of the road fix.

Don't drive it until you know why it's throwing belts. Isn't the water pump on the same accessory belt as the alternator on this car?

Yes, yes it is.

It's on exactly the same belt, hence why the battery was dying and also why the car was overheating at the same time.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I had a Mazda that would eat belts and ended up discovering it was the harmonic balancer after it ripped itself apart on the third belt.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Regarding the tune, you're looking for something like this inside the ECU.

* disclaimer, I'm not into these cars so I am not sure if there are different versions, or what the other chips/tunes available may look like.

edit: Just general FYI... many modern tunes are done piggyback style, and include one or more jumpers like this:

So if you poke around the ECU and start seeing jumpers like that, take pics. Again I have no idea if there are piggyback tunes available for the Z31.

Final edit: Another possibility is the PO swapped the turbo ECU for the NA ECU. If I were a betting man, I would bet that's what the PO did. This page contains a lot of (hopefully good) info about what PROMs can be swapped around into what years of ECUs, what electrical mods are needed, etc. It would probably be in your best interest to read and understand all of it.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 30, 2014

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
You're pretty swamped with good advice right now but I'm going to add some more to the pile.

If you are going to keep driving the car around while you figure out what state it is in you could disconnect the wastegate rod and put piece of aluminum with some of that rtv sealant under the BOV. If you keep the revs down under 4k it will act like a NA with a lovely restrictive intake and exhaust and won't leak metered air, at least not out of the BOV.

Seriously though, at this stage you should be posting pictures everyday asking what things are and researching what you have on your hands. Even this part can be lots of fun; think of it as detective work, "The mystery of the lovely PO".

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Well, I mean, how DO I check it?

I've got the service manual, and it states about the E.C.C.S. and the Electronic Control System in the Engine Fuel/Emission Control part, and it mentions an EFI Relay. Do I need to check on the ECCS? Do I need to check the ECS? Do I need to check the relay? What part am I going to likely have to replace?
1. Go to an auto parts store and buy a compression tester and a spark plug socket (it's past xmas where's your tool kit). Do a compression test (google it dummy). This will give you (us) a rough idea of your engine compression.

2. Don't worry about any engine electrics unless there is a check engine light, and you pull the code, and google it. You are bound to gently caress that up if you mess with it. It's idling now all by itself so that's good enough.

3. Spend $150 on a dyno or on a wideband AFR gauge and check your goddamn AFRs and if you go to a dyno spend $19.95 on a timing light to watch your timing.

e: watch your accessory belt while the engine and idling and figure out which pulley needs to be replaced (and replace it).

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Sorry, things've been kinda busy on my end what with New Years, Fiancee being in town, my computer overheating catastrophically (I fixed that, at least!), new job, and waiting on a check to get the money to get the alternator belt and to not be poor anymore.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

my computer overheating catastrophically

Did you take a long look at the tower and realize there weren't actually any fans in it?

Edit - Just kidding of course, love the thread, my friend had a Z car like this in high school and never fixed it up, awesome car you've got.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Jack B Nimble posted:

Did you take a long look at the tower and realize there weren't actually any fans in it?

Edit - Just kidding of course, love the thread, my friend had a Z car like this in high school and never fixed it up, awesome car you've got.

No, one of the fans was mechanically seized up so that it was not spinning fast enough, so I took the entire laptop apart to remove the fan, sprayed a poo poo ton of WD40 in the fan bearings, blew the entire interior of the laptop out with canned air, and then blew out the leftover residue from the fan bearings and reinstalled it.

It makes an angry grinding noise, but it works now!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
That's because WD40 isn't a lubricant.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sperge: "I was making brownies last night and found out I was out of oil, so I used 5W30 instead."
AI: "Don't eat motor oil."
Sperge: "Okay, I only ate about half the tray and I'm feeling pretty okay. My dog got into them though, and he vomited all over the carpet."
AI: "Don't let your dog eat chocolate. Also, clean that up before it stains."
Sperge: "I mixed ammonia and bleach in a 1:1 ratio and used that to hose down the carpet. The house smells super clean now! I think the carpet's permanently discolored and part of it melted away, but that's okay."

:love: you firecock

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Does someone here have to mail you a laptop fan now? What else are we going to have to send down the line?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No, one of the fans was mechanically seized up so that it was not spinning fast enough, so I took the entire laptop apart to remove the fan, sprayed a poo poo ton of WD40 in the fan bearings, blew the entire interior of the laptop out with canned air, and then blew out the leftover residue from the fan bearings and reinstalled it.

It makes an angry grinding noise, but it works now!

Jesus Christ do not touch that poor car anymore, you can't even fix a loving computer fan correctly.

[edit] Never mind, just soak the entire engine bay with WD40 and everything will work itself out.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Sperge: "I was making brownies last night and found out I was out of oil, so I used 5W30 instead."
AI: "Don't eat motor oil."

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/12/thieves-fry-kenya-power-grid-fast-food-2014122884728785480.html

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I thought you got tools for christmas?

Post them?

Any progress on figuring out the ECU and if its an NA/T or NA?

Have you posted the vin yet? You say you know about it but we don't and since you clearly have no loving clue maybe it would help to post it here.

Pull the plugs and see if its running rich or lean? That's probably too much effort for your lazy rear end.

Did you get the wire and tools to run a new battery cable like I said you should do a few pages ago.

Seriously, I want you to pull this thread out of the fire and unfuck this car, but I have my dick out and am ready to piss in the loving well. Stop being a lazy piece of poo poo. That's probably why you got kicked out of the navy or whatever, because you were a lazy loving idiot who took no initiative and got nothing done.

Tough love hurts but holy gently caress this thread is terrible and you need to get off your rear end and do something in your life. PEOPLE ARE DRIVING TO YOU AND LOOKING AT THE CAR AND OFFERING TO HELP AND MAILING YOU poo poo AND YOU ARE BEING A LAZY loving IDIOT. That is more loving effort than I have seen with people helping me build a god drat rally car. Do you know how loving lucky you are? I will gladly eat a probation to remind you how loving lazy you are being. Make some loving effort and put the god drat pj pants away.

gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sending a case of WD40 stat.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Idea: have you tried using WD40 on the corroded battery cable that you haven't bothered to replace yet?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

As mentioned earlier, wd-40 is not a lubricant, it was actually made for displacing water to keep missile parts from rusting.

If you want a penetrating oil get PB blaster to help loosen stuck bits.

If you want a lubricating spray, get white lithium grease. Spray that poo poo on your fan bearings or door hinges or locks.

Pretty certain we've all made the mistake of using wd-40 incorrectly, but now you know.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
This guy reminds me of E/N Superstar Success Story tm Benny The Snake. Keep on truckin' Sperg; you can only do better! :madmax:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
When you post it makes me want to say mean things to you. Meaner than is what is already being said in your well deserved custom title.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 3, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Korwen posted:

Pretty certain we've all made the mistake of using wd-40 incorrectly, but now you know.

Yeah I did when I was like 12 years old.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of the problems is that WD40 is marketed and sold with such statements as "WD-40® protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and lubricates just about anything."

People using it incorrectly is no worse than the circlejerk you get from people (including several in AI) about materials like titanium and inconel, even though they're only advantageous in certain circumstances. I can't be too harsh on someone thinking they're meant to use WD-40 as a lubricating oil when, if you go to a hardware or car parts store and ask for a spray-can of such, it's probably what they'd give you.

Of course, if you continue to use it as such after being told, yeah, that's a different matter.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I could have sworn they used to claim "lubricates", but I can't back that up, but they may have changed that line to what the modern can says "stops squeaks", and that's still implying lubrication in my view.
It's lovely of them but yeah, everyone should know by now it does not lubricate. In fact all around it's a terrible product, when using it on seized bolt, if they didn't snap, your socket or spanner sure got hot by friction but the time it was removed. At least rp7 smelled better.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Eagerly awaiting baby's 1st knuckle buster, if you can make it that far.

• Locked thread