Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
are there any actual ridesharing app type services or are they all taxis masquerading as such to bypass and "disrupt" actual real taxis by going around all the safety regulations/laws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol nm, lyft sold zimride to enterprise

poo poo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sniep posted:

are there any actual ridesharing app type services or are they all taxis masquerading as such to bypass and "disrupt" actual real taxis by going around all the safety regulations/laws?

it's all illegal taxis, it's always been illegal taxis

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/uber-drivers-say-rideshare-surge-pricing-backfired-on-new-years-eve/Content?oid=2915795

@Invisible_hand posted:

"I worked ten hours for NYE in San Francisco. I could have made more last weekend during a normal Saturday night," one commenter on Reddit's UberDrivers forum wrote. "Uber has left me financially devastated trying to work with them."

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Uber sent a mass email warning riders that New Year's Eve would see a spike in passenger demand

this email is the best part

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

"guys if you're drunk after midnight, you should use anything but uber"

edit and also lol that uber can't seem to pick up on the fact that i haven't live in the rdu area for months

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 3, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

actual honest to god ride sharing is valuable almost exclusively to freshmen in college who couldn't bring a car with them to the dorm

you can't build an 18 billion market cap on a (physical) bulletin board in a college dorm

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

:gizz:

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

"There should be some regulation on the numbers of drivers you allow to Lyft," another commenter wrote. "Otherwise it may seem that you are taking advantage of the fact that we are not paid salaries, and you reap the benefits regardless if it effects us."

gosh

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sniep posted:

conversely there are genuine taxi apps which use licensed drivers and exisiting cabs, like Hailo (in London at least)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

I'm the 180% increase represented by diameter rather than area

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

surge pricing to that level implies an inelastic market. Otoh uber told drivers that when they cut fares, the drivers will make more money due to higher demand, indicating an elastic market

I've done it, I've proved mathematically that uber is full of poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am all of the people in boston who chose to go with a 5x uber instead of the faster free rush hour level of service mbta

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lmfao, just kidding, i walked out of a party and onto a train and was home in a couple minutes

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

white people like cheaper taxis driven by other white people, usually in nicer cars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bloody posted:

lmfao, just kidding, i walked out of a party and onto a train and was home in a couple minutes

i walked out of a downtown bar and hopped into a cab less than 30 seconds later, because magic apparently

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

actual honest to god ride sharing is valuable almost exclusively to freshmen in college who couldn't bring a car with them to the dorm
theres one other use case: picking up passengers (hitchhikers, actually) so you qualify as a carpool and can take the diamond lane into the city and avoid 90% of the traffic on the bridge in the morning

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FMguru posted:

theres one other use case: picking up passengers (hitchhikers, actually) so you qualify as a carpool and can take the diamond lane into the city and avoid 90% of the traffic on the bridge in the morning

a smart uber would have humped this angle harder than the "cab but not a cab" ploy

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

a smart uber would have humped this angle harder than the "cab but not a cab" ploy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can't build an 18 billion market cap on a (physical) bulletin board in a office break room

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i know money talks bullshit walks

that's predicated on an "eventually they will get shut down" statement. if that never happens, yeah sure whatever salt the earth

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Citizen Tayne posted:

Taibi wrote about the first bubble in Griftopia and made a joke about these IPOs being "watermelon investments," the IPO is a watermelon with a bow tied around it that's been tossed out a window. if your money isn't out by the time it hits the ground, you lose.

money in a watermelon in a bow thrown out of a window is a useful and clear metaphor

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

PCjr sidecar posted:

money in a watermelon in a bow thrown out of a window is a useful and clear metaphor

lol

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

right, if only there was some physical thing that gets larger and larger until it pops to describe such a phenomenon, alas..

edit: :gizz:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im the phrases market cap and vc valuation being used interchangeably itt

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

next stop, willoughby

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

im the phrases market cap and vc valuation being used interchangeably itt

at this point i'm resigned to an uber ipo as a done deal

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PCjr sidecar posted:

That's because you misread it and don't understand metaphors.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

PCjr sidecar posted:

i was on my way to lunch!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's because you misread it and don't understand metaphors.

its because taibi is garbage hth

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

taibi is objectively not garbage because he at least draws attention to things that are

if you take exception to how he does it go do better or make a recc

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dislike button posted:

you misspelled your own name there lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dislike button posted:

yes

syscall girl posted:

taibi is objectively not garbage because he at least draws attention to things that are

if you take exception to how he does it go do better or make a recc

no

Citizen Tayne posted:

you misspelled your own name there lol

no

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dislike button posted:

dont ssign your posts! lol!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

dont ssign your posts! lol!

lol dam i got burrrnnnd

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

right, if only there was some physical thing that gets larger and larger until it pops to describe such a phenomenon, alas..

edit: :gizz:

and it's going to be all over our faces

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dislike button posted:

lol dam i got burrrnnnd

rip dislike button, destroyed by fart simpson

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mother fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

And, perhaps surprisingly, although the special lanes have fewer vehicles in them, they do not significantly shorten the commute times of drivers who get to use them. At least they don't shorten commutes enough to make it worth drivers' while to set up carpools.

• Locked thread