Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Stux posted:

when its for a reason which is entirely beyond their control its ridiculous. a company should compensate people when due to their own actions something is down. if it is due to their own failures in security or whatever else, its entirely reasonable to expect compensation. when its due to something that they are unable to mitigate its extremely unreasonable to expect any compensation. there are a million reasons a paid service may become temporarily unavailable for which the provider has no control over and its beyond ridiculous to expect the company to be liable for those situations.

you should try . . . going to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i do not even understand where this expectation has come from either, when this is the first time i can remember where a gaming company has compensated people for being down for reasons beyond their control. EA etc didn't do poo poo, XBL isn't doing poo poo about its downtime due to the recent DDOS either.

also where does this leave situations such as services going down during launches? PSN managed to handle destiny and CoD this year, but what if they hadn't and, like most years previous, there had been issues due to high demand as happened through out the 360/ps3 days to both services? would that require compensation in your eyes or not? if not what is the difference?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I don't have a SLA with Sony about my PSN time so I appreciate the 5 days and 10% coupon.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ruddha posted:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sony does have no obligation to compensate people for the recent downtime but it really isn't going to cost them all that much to give people those 5 days they lost back, so there's no reason for them not to do it. It's just not a big deal either way. It's nice that they're doing it but it's also hard to really care either way. I wouldn't feel a need to bitch if they didn't make up for the down time so I don't really feel a need to praise them for making up for the down time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Sony does have no obligation to compensate people for the recent downtime but it really isn't going to cost them all that much to give people those 5 days they lost back, so there's no reason for them not to do it. It's just not a big deal either way. It's nice that they're doing it but it's also hard to really care either way. I wouldn't feel a need to bitch if they didn't make up for the down time so I don't really feel a need to praise them for making up for the down time.

yeah i agree with all this basically.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If some crazy homeless person runs into a restaurant, grabs your just-delivered plate and runs out, what do you think the restaurant is going to do? I mean after all, it's not their fault the homeless person just did that. It's not "fair" but there's definitely a "cost of doing business", and it is sometimes, like in this case, in the company's best interests to give their customers some form of compensation despite the thing not being their fault, because regardless of whose fault it is the affected people walk away with a negative impression. Obviously there's a limit to what you can expect the restaurant to do without coming across as a total shitheel, but if I were running a restaurant and that sort of thing went down I would at a minimum fully replace the victim's meal and give them at the very least a free round of drinks or a free appetizer or a decent coupon/gift certificate, depending on the specifics of the situation; that pretty much fits with how Sony is comp'ing everyone.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I have no idea what hellholes you people live in but around here, there are two parties to a contract and they both have to hold up their end of the bargain, hth

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Why are you guys arguing over this especially the extra 5 days part? The majority here have a continuous PS+ sub so the extra 5 days only means your billing date moved 5 days.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

also where does this leave situations such as services going down during launches? PSN managed to handle destiny and CoD this year, but what if they hadn't and, like most years previous, there had been issues due to high demand as happened through out the 360/ps3 days to both services? would that require compensation in your eyes or not? if not what is the difference?

Sadly, at this point a service only being wonky for a day or two at launch would be an improvement, although some games with more serious launch troubles like AC Unity, Driveclub, and Halo MCC have been compensating their early customers to varying degrees. You could even indirectly argue that EA's Simcity did, since not long after the backlash they started a money-back guarantee on their digital games (which, to be fair, puts them ahead of Steam in this regard).

Some companies have started being raked over the coals for their launch headaches (and rightfully so) and non-US countries do have laws that require customers to issue refunds if asked (e.g. the U.K. has a "fit for purpose" law). Hell, I think there were launch headaches at Diablo 3's launch in South Korea for over a week (which also impacted other Battle.net-using games) and the law there basically stated if you went a week and still didn't have your poo poo together you were legally required to issue full refunds.

Katana Gomai posted:

I have no idea what hellholes you people live in but around here, there are two parties to a contract and they both have to hold up their end of the bargain, hth

The U.S. is pretty much the only country which doesn't have a law about this but even outside of it getting a refund can be something of a clusterfuck and not really worth the time and headaches involved in making it happen; too many of the digital services are simply not built to make issuing refunds easy (because they're designed state-side, you see) and a lot of times getting a refund can just make things worse (e.g. they reverse the wrong charge).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

they live in the usa

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

you people live in hellholes

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Katana Gomai posted:

It's not about living in hellholes or not it's just that most goons are naive as hell and have no idea what contract law even is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your PS+ subscription doesn't promise any particular uptime, so Sony wasn't literally required to do anything.

But since they would never hear the end of it if they didn't they were practically required.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Aphrodite posted:

Your PS+ subscription doesn't promise any particular uptime, so Sony wasn't literally required to do anything.

But since they would never hear the end of it if they didn't they were practically requird.

No service provider is stupid enough to include guaranteed access to their service 100% of the time in their contracts, they can still be held liable if their customers can't access the service for days.

Basically the only way Sony could've gotten away from this without giving anything away is if the reason for the downtime was an act of god, i.e: an earthquake, tsunami, etc.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Ruddha posted:

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

The free games for PS+ in January are:
- inFAMOUS: First Light (PS4)
- The Swapper (PS4|PS3|PS Vita)
- Prototype 2 (PS3)
- DuckTales Remastered (PS3)
- Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (PS Vita|PS3)
- Whoa Dave! (PS Vita|PS4 version will be released at a later date)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/31/playstation-plus-januarys-free-games/

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Sorry for posting off-topic and derailing from the Grundschwatzdiskussion in this thread, but:

Yechezkel posted:

Japanese store updates whenever it feels like it. They usually have multiple updates every week, usually between Tuesday to Thursday. I think major updates occur on Wednesdays, but I haven't been paying too much attention to the Japanese store lately.
Thanks a lot, it's been pretty difficult finding info on that store, so I appreciate every bit of it. :)

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

theonlypie314SA posted:

The free games for PS+ in January are:
- inFAMOUS: First Light (PS4)
- The Swapper (PS4|PS3|PS Vita)
- Prototype 2 (PS3)
- DuckTales Remastered (PS3)
- Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (PS Vita|PS3)
- Whoa Dave! (PS Vita|PS4 version will be released at a later date)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/31/playstation-plus-januarys-free-games/

So we're getting 4 games on the PS3 this month? That's pretty good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'll just say that 3 different Internet companies I have had have prorated me for missed service days. The conversation goes like this.

"Hi my Internet was down for a 5 days-"

'OK we will credit your bill, anything else I can help you with?'

It's standard practice and the lowest level phone jokey is authorized to credit you for down service time. All Sony is doing is saving there call centers from 1000s of calls giving away nothing they would give you if you called and complained peraonally.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
You live in a hellhole if you didn't get mad at not being able to play videogames online for two whole days.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
has there been any confirmation that Duke Nukem on PS+ will be cross buy?

specifically if it will be cross buy in Europe, seems to be indicated that it'll be cross by in NA but only seeing Vita on the PS Euro blog...

hopefully cross buy everywhere.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Chewy Bitems posted:

has there been any confirmation that Duke Nukem on PS+ will be cross buy?

specifically if it will be cross buy in Europe, seems to be indicated that it'll be cross by in NA but only seeing Vita on the PS Euro blog...

hopefully cross buy everywhere.

It listed both console on the psplus blog but I don't know if that was just were the game is playable or if it was actually cross buy. I hope so.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Herr Direktor posted:

It listed both console on the psplus blog but I don't know if that was just were the game is playable or if it was actually cross buy. I hope so.

That's a good point, the US blog also has "Whoa Dave! (PS Vita|PS4 version will be released at a later date)", so I'm wondering if that means that it'll be cross buy on PS4 whenever it's released (but not counting for that month I guess) but I think it's more likely what you're saying & it's just listing the platforms.

On the EU Blog it just lists the games and has (cross buy) beside it & it's got Duke Nukem down as just Vita so I guess it's just Vita, boo.

Has anything been released lately that was on multiple consoles but not cross buy? so we (I) can check what way the Blogs put them up?

thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chewy Bitems posted:

Has anything been released lately that was on multiple consoles but not cross buy? so we (I) can check what way the Blogs put them up?

Child of Light in the US at least.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Child of Light in the US at least.
Ah nuts, sorry, I meant put on PS+ rather than being release. I type badly.

Incidentally, in the US Blog's December PS+ update, it listed Injustice as being just PS4, so I guess that would suggest that in NA Duke Nukem will be cross buy.

hopefully Europe too but it's not looking good now.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth was free on PS Plus as a PS4 game and was not cross buy, but the Vita version was also free during that time frame for PS Plus users, so if you put both in your cart you could get both, if that's kind of what you mean.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And Dragon's Crown did the same thing, as it not crossbuy (but crossplay) when the PS3 version went free, but they gave the Vita version for free regardless.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Herr Direktor posted:

You live in a hellhole if you didn't get mad at not being able to play videogames online for two whole days.

Hellhooooole...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9aThIovMA

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bad news: one more game on PSN might get pulled at anytime now.
Good news: it's another bad game.

It was discovered that Aliens: Colonial Marines was pulled from Steam. Seeing how it was discounted along with the other games that were going to be pulled in the EU region, I'm think this will be pulled sometime this month. As of now, the game is still in both NA and EU stores.

update, late for me: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD was pulled last September.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 3, 2015

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Yechezkel posted:

Update, late for me: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD was pulled last September.

Dang, a lot of games' rights are expiring. Is this one any good?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Yechezkel posted:

Bad news: one more game on PSN might get pulled at anytime now.
Good news: it's another bad game.

It was discovered that Aliens: Colonial Marines was pulled from Steam. Seeing how it was discounted along with the other games that were going to be pulled in the EU region, I'm think this will be pulled sometime this month. As of now, the game is still in both NA and EU stores.

Is the game really that bad? I've heard nothing but horrible things about it. Duke Nukem Forever got nothing but bad reviews and I liked it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RadicalR posted:

Dang, a lot of games' rights are expiring. Is this one any good?

It's a classic whether or not you like the series.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

Is the game really that bad? I've heard nothing but horrible things about it. Duke Nukem Forever got nothing but bad reviews and I liked it.
Yes, it's terrible. I thought it'd be a fun bad time to play through it with my brother, who is really not discerning when it comes to games and laps up any old poo poo. But even he admitted it was bad, and we got maybe half way through it in co-op before giving up.

It's so bland and badly designed. For example, there's stupid encounters with a stupid boss that kills you instantly if you don't immediately do what the game wants you to do. The problem is, the game doesn't explain what it wants. Say the current objective is to escape from this beast, and you come across a fork in the road. To the left is an open path you can take, to the right is a small hole you can crawl through. If you run the open path way it comes out of nowhere and you die. How the gently caress were you supposed to know? Especially if you missed the hole, which is small and obscured. That kind of thing happens tons of times.

And oh my god the power loader fight. Good grief. You have AI partners in that game, and there's a part where you get in a power loader and fight the aforementioned stupid boss hand to hand. The problem is, while you're fighting this boss there's no indication what you're doing is damaging it - your attacks look so loving weak and it barely reacts, and it takes FOREVER to kill it - but your loving AI teammates are also shooting at this thing and hitting you with friendly fire. And sometimes getting in or out of the power loader fucks things up and you float around and oh god it's so broken.

Don't buy it. Don't.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

univbee posted:

If some crazy homeless person runs into a restaurant, grabs your just-delivered plate and runs out, what do you think the restaurant is going to do? I mean after all, it's not their fault the homeless person just did that. It's not "fair" but there's definitely a "cost of doing business", and it is sometimes, like in this case, in the company's best interests to give their customers some form of compensation despite the thing not being their fault, because regardless of whose fault it is the affected people walk away with a negative impression. Obviously there's a limit to what you can expect the restaurant to do without coming across as a total shitheel, but if I were running a restaurant and that sort of thing went down I would at a minimum fully replace the victim's meal and give them at the very least a free round of drinks or a free appetizer or a decent coupon/gift certificate, depending on the specifics of the situation; that pretty much fits with how Sony is comp'ing everyone.

terrible analogy, someone coming in and being able to steal poo poo from you is just poor security, similar to if a network gets hacked and loses customer data due to poor security. a DDOS is not in the same league as to be able to mitigate it requires significant investment into redundant systems as well as cooperation with the companys ISP. never mind that lower cost tactics are not possible in a network which is a) extremely public due to being open to consoles and b) expected to allow connected devices to download 50GB files at high speed. gaming services like PSN and XBL are, by their very nature, extremely vulnerable targets for DDOSes and there isn't a whole lot that can be reasonably expected of the companies in charge to do to protect against it unless it gets to the point where they are such a large target they are being taken down weekly.

Katana Gomai posted:

yeah and contracts also have stipulations and exceptions for issues outside of either parties control. a DDOS fairly fits that definition due to the mechanism of action it uses to attack the servers, and the expense and difficulty of mitigating them. even well protected networks can be taken offline by a large enough DDOS if they have public facing access.

univbee posted:

Sadly, at this point a service only being wonky for a day or two at launch would be an improvement, although some games with more serious launch troubles like AC Unity, Driveclub, and Halo MCC have been compensating their early customers to varying degrees. You could even indirectly argue that EA's Simcity did, since not long after the backlash they started a money-back guarantee on their digital games (which, to be fair, puts them ahead of Steam in this regard).

Some companies have started being raked over the coals for their launch headaches (and rightfully so) and non-US countries do have laws that require customers to issue refunds if asked (e.g. the U.K. has a "fit for purpose" law). Hell, I think there were launch headaches at Diablo 3's launch in South Korea for over a week (which also impacted other Battle.net-using games) and the law there basically stated if you went a week and still didn't have your poo poo together you were legally required to issue full refunds.

The U.S. is pretty much the only country which doesn't have a law about this but even outside of it getting a refund can be something of a clusterfuck and not really worth the time and headaches involved in making it happen; too many of the digital services are simply not built to make issuing refunds easy (because they're designed state-side, you see) and a lot of times getting a refund can just make things worse (e.g. they reverse the wrong charge).

unity, driveclub and MCC were all down due to the actions of the publishers and/or developers though, not due to attacks etc. and being required to give refunds, which should be the norm, is a mile away from requiring compensation for issues outside of the company's direct control. also when dealing with a subscription service, refunds don't apply in the same way.

El Hefe posted:

No service provider is stupid enough to include guaranteed access to their service 100% of the time in their contracts, they can still be held liable if their customers can't access the service for days.

Basically the only way Sony could've gotten away from this without giving anything away is if the reason for the downtime was an act of god, i.e: an earthquake, tsunami, etc.

sony could've gotten away from this without giving anything away because they are not required to in any country by any law. multiple other companies have suffered downtime due to similar attacks, including XBL doing down and having issues over the same period due to the exact same attacks. and yet they haven't all given out compensation, and none of them have been required to by law because it is a situation out of their control. an indefensible attack would count under the same criteria as an act of god unless it was reasonable to expect the company to invest in the necessary infrastructure and external protections to prevent it. a gaming service going down for a couple of days due to a form of attack which is extremely difficult to defend against, to the point where even banks are constantly spending poo poo tons on keeping up with attackers, and STILL go down to them, does not fall under a company which could be expected to be resistant to those attacks, unless they are so common as to be a constant occurrence.

im sorry you are all babies who cannot comprehend that maybe the only people at fault here are those who keep DDOSing people because they find it funny and that the only realistic way to stop it is to prosecute those involved.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hope all of you have learned to not read Stux's posts by now.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

elf help book posted:

After that last one, absolutely.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
That's a lotta words I just scrolled right by.

I saw in the CoD thread that the first expansion comes out at the end of the month for XBox. All the DLC is still just 30-day exclusive right? So PS peeps should get this one around end of Feb, beginning of March? Still trying to decide if I want to pick up the season pass or not. I might use that 10% off coupon whenever Sony sends it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

elf help book posted:

He's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

jabro posted:

He's right.

the masses always fear the revolutionary until they realise the truth of their words - neo, the matrix, 1984

• Locked thread