Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Can I install a closed loop cooler on a mini-itx GPU? For example an Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 on a Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

calusari posted:

Can I install a closed loop cooler on a mini-itx GPU? For example an Arctic Accelero Hybrid II-120 on a Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX.

Almost definitely no. The coolers are build with certain assumptions in mind, like the VRM section being on the rear of the card by the hybrid cooler's fan, and there being, y'know, card underneath that fan to capture airflow. Couldn't do it with an Accelero, couldn't do it with an NZXT Kraken G10 or its generic workalikes.

The 970 Mini ITX's PCB has the VRM on the output side of the card. The only way you're getting direct, perpendicular airflow on that would be to stack a fan over the block/pump assembly on the CLC.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Do you think heatsinks stuck to the VRMs/VRAMs would be enough to cool them passively? I'm considering dremeling through one of my G10 to shorten it and try the same thing.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
VRMs need some pretty good cooling, probably active unless you can fit a massive heatsink on them. Memory doesn't need heatsinks at all and can even be overclocked completely bare while hardly getting warm.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Sorry, I meant to ask if it was physically possible to mount. SPCR has done something similar, this is a vanilla Zotac GTX 970 which has slightly shorter PCB than other designs. They have a case fan below the GPU to cool the VRMs.

They didn't include VRM temps but they did not ever get any artifacting, though overclocking is obviously out of the question. Still, during Furmark tests the GPU temps never broke 85C at 22db which is pretty drat quiet.

I want to to do the same with a mini-ITX 970 so I can cram a slightly longer PSU in the case.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1431-page1.html

calusari fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 2, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What size psu do you have now? I mean. Its not like you need more than maybe a 550w and you can get those in small sizes.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Well I'm limited to SFX and SFX-L PSUs by the size of the case. One option is the Silverstone 600W SFX which has a loud rear end 80mm fan. I would rather get the newer Silverstone SFX-L 500W PSU that is 30mm longer and has a 120mm fan, which means it will probably be a hell of a lot quieter. The 600W one is a lot shorter though so it would let me fit a full sized GPU, but I'm not sure it's worth it because of the noise.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

calusari posted:

Well I'm limited to SFX and SFX-L PSUs by the size of the case. One option is the Silverstone 600W SFX which has a loud rear end 80mm fan. I would rather get the newer Silverstone SFX-L 500W PSU that is 30mm longer and has a 120mm fan, which means it will probably be a hell of a lot quieter. The 600W one is a lot shorter though so it would let me fit a full sized GPU, but I'm not sure it's worth it because of the noise.

I'm a big fan of this new SFX-L form factor that Silverstone cobbled together. If it became more popular, we could jettison the ATX PSU form factor for all mini-ITX and micro-ATX cases and get things a bit smaller, whilst still having good noise and power characteristics.

Ineff
Feb 28, 2010
My setup is currently a Gigabyte GTX 970 (no OC yet) and a i3 3220 on a 4k monitor. My framerates on BF4 / Far Cry 4 / Planetside 2 are perfectly playable on a mix of High/Medium settings. Am I mad for not upgrading my CPU here?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
There was some chart with a benchmark done with a 980 running on different cpus and there was either 0 fps changes or a +1-2 difference from a 2xxx to a 4xxxx upgrade. Another 970 would do far more then a mobo/cpu swap for you if you really cared. I'm happy with my one 980/3770k maxing out things at 1600/60 personally. Hoping to ride out 2560 for another 2 gpu cycles and then make the switch to 4k monitor/single gpu able to do 4k60 (or 120??)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

calusari posted:

Sorry, I meant to ask if it was physically possible to mount. SPCR has done something similar, this is a vanilla Zotac GTX 970 which has slightly shorter PCB than other designs. They have a case fan below the GPU to cool the VRMs.

They didn't include VRM temps but they did not ever get any artifacting, though overclocking is obviously out of the question. Still, during Furmark tests the GPU temps never broke 85C at 22db which is pretty drat quiet.

I want to to do the same with a mini-ITX 970 so I can cram a slightly longer PSU in the case.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1431-page1.html

The reference 970 PCB is no longer than a mitx motherboard already, so if you're going to replace the cooler anyway you could just go with one of those. I think it's the same size as a mitx gpu already, the extra is all just the blower cooler.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

There was some chart with a benchmark done with a 980 running on different cpus and there was either 0 fps changes or a +1-2 difference from a 2xxx to a 4xxxx upgrade. Another 970 would do far more then a mobo/cpu swap for you if you really cared. I'm happy with my one 980/3770k maxing out things at 1600/60 personally. Hoping to ride out 2560 for another 2 gpu cycles and then make the switch to 4k monitor/single gpu able to do 4k60 (or 120??)

Most of those charts are based any i5/i7 model as the baseline. i3-3220 knocks a bunch more FPS off usually.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/341

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ineff posted:

My setup is currently a Gigabyte GTX 970 (no OC yet) and a i3 3220 on a 4k monitor. My framerates on BF4 / Far Cry 4 / Planetside 2 are perfectly playable on a mix of High/Medium settings. Am I mad for not upgrading my CPU here?

At 4k you're going to be way more GPU than CPU limited, so not at all mad.

Ineff
Feb 28, 2010
Looking around at benchmarks it looks like it really depends on the game. As I play Planetside (which is heavily CPU bound) I think i'll go for a small upgrade to a quad-core.

On another note, as I'm happy with playing on "only" High settings for newer games (except Crysis...), I've found 4k gaming on a single 970 to be pretty viable now that I've OC'ed it.

Ineff fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 2, 2015

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well hooray, went to finish a level in the Talos Principle and my screens suddenly went solid colored. Rebooted still nothing, removed my 780 and used the mobo video and I could see the BIOS.

So happy that a less than a year old card decided to completely kick the bucket.

Thankfully I have my old 7970 to use while I RMA this 780. Part of me wishes I wouldn't get a 780 back and instead would get a 970 or 980 buuuuuut I know it won't happen.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is it possible to limit video memory in software? I have GT555m and a game that doesn't work well with video cards that have more than 1 GB.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
What game is that? And has the developer really said that that is the issue? Does your laptop have integrated GPU, could you use it?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rosoboronexport posted:

What game is that? And has the developer really said that that is the issue? Does your laptop have integrated GPU, could you use it?

It's Settlers 6. It's Ubisoft game so it will never be patched.

quote:

The game has a known problem with video cards featuring more than 2GB of memory - the game forces you to use the lowest res textures, making it look super ugly

The cause is obvious - the function that probes the driver for VRAM size uses signed, instead of an unsigned variable type (an unsigned 16bit integer variable can store numbers from 0 - 65535, for example, while signed 16bit integer can store from -32768 to +32768). Signed types use the highest bit to recognize negative numbers, therefore if a large unsigned number (large enough to ha. ve the highest bit set) is interpreted as signed, it becomes a negative number.
I have 2GB . But still can't choose settings and it ignores config file if I make manual changes and make it read only.

Intel HD 3000 can't even handle simple 2D games like Bejeweled well so I can't use integrated GPU.
I have limited system RAM before for Act of War, but I guess doing it with VRAM isn't possible then.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

SinineSiil posted:

Intel HD 3000 can't even handle simple 2D games like Bejeweled well so I can't use integrated GPU.
I have limited system RAM before for Act of War, but I guess doing it with VRAM isn't possible then.

That's where you are wrong. HD3000 is the Sandy Bridge GPU which supports DX10.1. Here it is compared to low-end GPUs in which it fares quite well. It definitely should do OK in a 2007 era game.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It really can struggle on modern 2D games, though - at least, ones that aren't CPU-rendered and aren't targetted toward tablets (e.g. Windows Store apps).

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rosoboronexport posted:

That's where you are wrong. HD3000 is the Sandy Bridge GPU which supports DX10.1. Here it is compared to low-end GPUs in which it fares quite well. It definitely should do OK in a 2007 era game.
How am I wrong if I have played lots of games for minute with it before realizing it's running on HD3000 because of lovely performance? Also supported DX version doesn't really help indicate performance of a GPU.

Factory Factory posted:

It really can struggle on modern 2D games, though - at least, ones that aren't CPU-rendered and aren't targetted toward tablets (e.g. Windows Store apps).
Can Windows Store apps even be set to run on dedicated GPU? I once tried to play latest Asphalt racing game and it ran quite badly with frequent drops under 30 fps. Changing global GPU to Nvidia didn't help at all and I failed to find its executable.
I just tested Asphalt 8 again and this time I successfully ran it on Nvidia GPU, but performance was still the same. I guess it just runs badly.
I doubt HD3000 will have trouble with most 2D games there though. At least Hill Climb Racing runs well. Can't be bothered to try anything else.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 4, 2015

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

SinineSiil posted:

How am I wrong if I have played lots of games for minute with it before realizing it's running on HD3000 because of lovely performance? Also supported DX version doesn't really help indicate performance of a GPU.

My point was that it should run the Settlers 6 game you have problems with. The game recommends Geforce FX or Radeon 9500, and HD3000 is faster than those. I'm not suggesting that you should use it instead of the Nvidia chip for any other games. The DVMT is limited to 1720 MB but I'm not sure how much VRAM it will report to the game.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rosoboronexport posted:

My point was that it should run the Settlers 6 game you have problems with. The game recommends Geforce FX or Radeon 9500, and HD3000 is faster than those. I'm not suggesting that you should use it instead of the Nvidia chip for any other games. The DVMT is limited to 1720 MB but I'm not sure how much VRAM it will report to the game.

It detects 62MB.

There are no workarounds for that error. I can only play it with dedicated card, but then I can't change settings. GTA IV has similar issue, but it doesn't refuse to run and there are simple workarounds for that.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 4, 2015

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

SinineSiil posted:

It detects 62MB.

There are no workarounds for that error. I can only play it with dedicated card, but then I can't change settings. GTA IV has similar issue, but it doesn't refuse to run and there are simple workarounds for that.

Have you checked in your bios to see if there's any options pertaining to memory for the integrated graphics? Some allow you to alter the minimum amount that's allocated.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

jkyuusai posted:

Have you checked in your bios to see if there's any options pertaining to memory for the integrated graphics? Some allow you to alter the minimum amount that's allocated.
Sadly no. My laptop bios doesn't let me do that.

I might just get a cheap 1GB GPU for my old desktop to play this game then.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Been a while since I've read this thread - are the MSI 970s generally good quality? I want to say people seemed to like them but I don't recall.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes. MSI makes good cards.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes. MSI makes good cards.

Good enough for me. It's on its way :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Miley Virus posted:

EVGA are rolling out new versions of that card with (allegedly) better coolers and better power delivery. It has SSC on the box instead of SC. You most likely didn't buy it since it's only a limited release so far but you can use their Step-Up thing to exchange your card for it. You may have to pay a bit more though.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Anyone here ever actually done this? How was the experience? If I'm reading this right, I pay the difference between what I paid for the card and what EVGA lists on their site, which is basically nothing for me to upgrade to the SSC from the SC ACX2.

It means I'd have to fall back to my 550Ti for however long EVGA takes to ship, but dual BIOS and power delivery on par with the competition would both be nice.

I have two days to decide before I hit the 90 day limit apparently.

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

wolrah posted:

Anyone here ever actually done this? How was the experience? If I'm reading this right, I pay the difference between what I paid for the card and what EVGA lists on their site, which is basically nothing for me to upgrade to the SSC from the SC ACX2.

It means I'd have to fall back to my 550Ti for however long EVGA takes to ship, but dual BIOS and power delivery on par with the competition would both be nice.

I have two days to decide before I hit the 90 day limit apparently.

I did a step-up years ago and that's basically how it worked. You initiate your step-up, get into queue (if there is one) for whatever card your stepping up to. You send it in once they tell you to and they send you the new one. Was pretty smooth when I did it at the time and had no issues at all. I would definitely do it for the better cooling etc personally - I'm waiting for the FTW+ to drop to finally order a card to replace my 570.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
My evga acx 970 should arrive today (should've been Friday but ontrac loves to claim Amazon didn't give them my package). If the card is unacceptable to me I'm not going to wait for evga step-up program and I'll just return the card for the MSI or Asus versions. On the other hand if it's not too bad it won't be worth the hassle of returning it.

That's what I get for not checking appropriate threads before making a purchase. I'd always assumed evga normally the best manufacturer for nvidia but their handling of this issue has been really bad. Not to mention reusing an old cooler design for a much larger GPU.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Any more news on the R9 390/390X? Trying to hold out for that rather than buy a 970.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sincx posted:

Any more news on the R9 390/390X? Trying to hold out for that rather than buy a 970.

Any real reason you're trying to hold out? As with any GPU launch, there's very likely to be low availability at launch. If nVidia had positioned the 970 at $400+ and the 980 at $650+, maybe there would have been room for the R9-390 to come in and disrupt prices. nVidia launching the 970 at $320 and vastly undercutting the existing R9-290 prices mean that there's not much room for the 390 to undercut significantly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sincx posted:

I haven't, but I'm hoping the prices at/shortly after launch won't be stupid high like the 290/290X were because of spergs backordering them for months for GPU bitcoin mining (and doubly hopeful that if they are, they won't stay that way).

EDIT: I'm mostly interested in the 390/390X because I can't afford an upgrade now or likely within the next few months because I'll need to do a CPU and motherboard upgrade at the same time, being currently stuck on PCIe 2.0 by those components.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 5, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

EDIT: I'm mostly interested in the 390/390X because I can't afford an upgrade now or likely within the next few months because I'll need to do a CPU and motherboard upgrade at the same time, being currently stuck on PCIe 2.0 by those components.

If you're due for a GPU upgrade and are worried about PCI-E 2.0, don't be. I could go dig up the chart where PCI-E 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 were compared, but long story short you are giving up less than 2% performance by running a 3.0 GPU on 2.0. It is not worth worrying about at all. Even dropping down to PCI-E 1 loses less than 5% performance.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hmm. Interesting to know, thanks. I need to dump an open loop watercooling system (CPU and GPUs -- currently have an i7-3820 and two MSI Radeon 5850 OCs) while I'm at it if I want to upgrade. Would it be a good idea to pick up a closed loop LGA2011 cooler, keep the 3820 and LGA2011 board, and get a 970 when I have the money?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Hmm. Interesting to know, thanks. I need to dump an open loop watercooling system (CPU and GPUs -- currently have an i7-3820 and two MSI Radeon 5850 OCs) while I'm at it if I want to upgrade. Would it be a good idea to pick up a closed loop LGA2011 cooler, keep the 3820 and LGA2011 board, and get a 970 when I have the money?

That's a Sandy Bridge-E CPU, right? Performance is no reason to replace any Sandy Bridge or newer CPU at this point if you're overclocking. You wouldn't see any gains that are worth the price from moving to Haswell unless you want to pay a large premium for less heat.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

That's a Sandy Bridge-E CPU, right? Performance is no reason to replace any Sandy Bridge or newer CPU at this point if you're overclocking. You wouldn't see any gains that are worth the price from moving to Haswell unless you want to pay a large premium for less heat.

Yeah, it's an SB-E. I've been really enjoying the sheer number of cores it provides decreasing the overhead of doing lossless on-the-fly video compression while recording. Mine's overclocked from 3.6 GHz to 4.0 GHz.

Thank you for your help! When I get the funds together to upgrade I'll go see what the parts picking thread recommends for an LGA2011-compatible closed loop cooler.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
What sheer number of cores? The i7-3820 is a quad-core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Meant threads, sorry. This computer has been my first excursion into real PCs in a decade.