Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You should start watching Nintendo Directs with us so Reggie can hypnotize you faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I bought a Wii U before even Monster Hunter had come out and honestly I blame Reggie but I believed and it all turned out ok.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Went to Best Buy to spend $42 in gift cards I had on Treasure Trackers. The Wii U section was pathetic and 75% Smash Bros. And no Treasure Trackers... :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

a_big_dog posted:

For me, the TV button is a Very Cool feature and I feel like George Jetson when I use it

Yeah same

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Astro7x posted:

Went to Best Buy to spend $42 in gift cards I had on Treasure Trackers. The Wii U section was pathetic and 75% Smash Bros. And no Treasure Trackers... :(

If you shoot those cards over to me, I can buy Treasure Tracker for you and send it out to you soon.
not soon at all

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Housh posted:

I love my Wii U and my stack of PS4 games feel like shovel ware next to Mario Kart and Smash. I need to trade them in for Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, and THAT CUTE GAMER GAME. I honestly can't wait for Starfox and Zelda but I have a lot of catching up to do. Shame on me for not believing in Reggie. Shame SHAME!!!!!!

Acceptance is the first step

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

What the gently caress happened to Captain Toad? I unlocked the final final challenge level and its an arduously long action game of "what's behind the blind corner?" which you have to play through the entire thing in one sitting (or play through the first 10 minutes to continue practising the action game dodging of the new elements thrown at you) with heavy reliance on luck and random elements.

What the gently caress is this doing in a really tightly designed puzzle game that ends with a bonus book full of artificially difficult inane "find the spots in a level where you can run in a circle" and "now your hitbox is 4 hitboxes, and 3 of them are instadeath" challenges. And why is my Puzzlemaster completion / Visual flourish hidden behind these challenges.

I can't believe they seriously thought Mummy-Me at PyroPuff Peak which was poorly designed because you just have to solve a single puzzle the coins floating behind the ladder plate and otherwise look for places to run in circles in the level. Was a good reference point for their final "Puzzle Challenge". The game falls apart pretty heavily in the Bonus Book and I was astounded to be kicked to the ground so hard. The first time I finished MM@PPP I saw the stupid mummy disappear on the ladder and put down the gamepad for a single second. Then the mummy magically re-appeared and I had to redo the drat level.

This final stage would make a semblance of sense if they separated it out into 5-10 individual stages and let you be done with a floor after completing it. Then I could at least learn to dodge the fire piranha plants without making my way through Chargin' Chuck and Boo and level layout RNG. The ordering doesn't even make sense, the coconut spitters come after enemies that are harder to deal with. The whole Bonus book feels dumb, its not re-doing levels to fully explore a level and search for the hidden bonus objective or collect every possible coin, Its arbitrarily redoing levels with what effectively boil down to speed constraints. News-flash? time trials are already a feature in all the levels in the game, with tightly defined par times.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the Bonus book is fun. If you don't like the final level or it's too hard for you, you don't have to beat it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've always had access to a TV, so I haven't taken advantage of the off-TV ability. I'm sure its useful, but it also strikes me as the most Nintendo move ever.

"Hey guys! We finally went HD! But to hell with that, let's have you stare at a much smaller screen in your lap!"

Hahaha what

"A useful feature that you don't have to use for most games if you don't want to? NINTENDO IS loving US AGAIN!!"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IN 3D WORLD CAT PEACH'S HOVERING ANIMATION HAS HER PAWS SCRATCHING AIR AND IT IS SO CUTE OH MY GOD.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

zolthorg posted:

What the gently caress happened to Captain Toad? I unlocked the final final challenge level and its an arduously long action game of "what's behind the blind corner?" which you have to play through the entire thing in one sitting (or play through the first 10 minutes to continue practising the action game dodging of the new elements thrown at you) with heavy reliance on luck and random elements.

What the gently caress is this doing in a really tightly designed puzzle game that ends with a bonus book full of artificially difficult inane "find the spots in a level where you can run in a circle" and "now your hitbox is 4 hitboxes, and 3 of them are instadeath" challenges. And why is my Puzzlemaster completion / Visual flourish hidden behind these challenges.

I can't believe they seriously thought Mummy-Me at PyroPuff Peak which was poorly designed because you just have to solve a single puzzle the coins floating behind the ladder plate and otherwise look for places to run in circles in the level. Was a good reference point for their final "Puzzle Challenge". The game falls apart pretty heavily in the Bonus Book and I was astounded to be kicked to the ground so hard. The first time I finished MM@PPP I saw the stupid mummy disappear on the ladder and put down the gamepad for a single second. Then the mummy magically re-appeared and I had to redo the drat level.

This final stage would make a semblance of sense if they separated it out into 5-10 individual stages and let you be done with a floor after completing it. Then I could at least learn to dodge the fire piranha plants without making my way through Chargin' Chuck and Boo and level layout RNG. The ordering doesn't even make sense, the coconut spitters come after enemies that are harder to deal with. The whole Bonus book feels dumb, its not re-doing levels to fully explore a level and search for the hidden bonus objective or collect every possible coin, Its arbitrarily redoing levels with what effectively boil down to speed constraints. News-flash? time trials are already a feature in all the levels in the game, with tightly defined par times.

Ah yes, I recognize the format of this post. The classic Post-Game Mario post, not to be confused with the Week Later Apology And Acceptance post.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I think the Bonus book is fun. If you don't like the final level or it's too hard for you, you don't have to beat it.

This is literally what i'm going to do. I'm going to finish most of the time trials and then send the game off to a friend who hasn't played it yet.

The challenge levels at the end of a Mario platformer at least aren't a completely different loving genre of game. This is like turning the last boss fight of Pikmin 3 into an FPS with a Pikmin gun or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

zolthorg posted:

This is literally what i'm going to do. I'm going to finish most of the time trials and then send the game off to a friend who hasn't played it yet.

The challenge levels at the end of a Mario platformer at least aren't a completely different loving genre of game. This is like turning the last boss fight of Pikmin 3 into an FPS with a Pikmin gun or something.

It's really not

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Captain Toad owns you dingus.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Captain Toad owns you dingus.

Captain Toad 1, 2 and 3 were amazing, adorable, and really tightly designed puzzles. Even if it wasn't mind boggling, it was fun to play.

Basically none of the bonus levels are fun to play, especially the last 2.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

zolthorg posted:

Captain Toad 1, 2 and 3 were amazing, adorable, and really tightly designed puzzles. Even if it wasn't mind boggling, it was fun to play.

Basically none of the bonus levels are fun to play, especially the last 2.

That's a good hit:miss ratio, sounds like you have a great game on your hands.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

His spores have infected them all, zolthorg. Run while you can.

(treasure tracker is a rad game, though.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hey guys?
The Wii U is really sensitive to lightning strikes. :smith:

I brought it home for the vacation, and now that I tried to turn it on to play Captain Toad, it refused to turn on.

Unplugging and replugging it, nothing helped.
It even gave me a weak shock when I touched the USB port while trying to turn it on.

I guess I'll have to contact Nintendo and see what they say.

e: aw geeze, Nintendo here in Norway is even so tiny that I have to go through the store I bought the console from, to get it sent in for repairs.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 3, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

After playing the toad levels in mario 3d I don't think I would ever play a full game of this

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

After playing the toad levels in mario 3d I don't think I would ever play a full game of this

This is a very uncute post.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
What's the verdict on the new Shantae game? It looked like it was getting pretty good reviews and I'm usually up for a good platformer.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

What's the verdict on the new Shantae game? It looked like it was getting pretty good reviews and I'm usually up for a good platformer.

I've heard its the only good 2D platformer since the SNES.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

( . )( . )/10

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I wasn't crazy about them either but Captain Toad is way improved. A lot more variety.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does Captain Toad have some kind of Grandmaster Galaxy that I unlock by completing all the additional challenges?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Katana Gomai posted:

( . )( . )/10

This is an accurate description of Shantae. Overall, it's short but so are all of the Shantae games. Gameplay is tight but it's a bit on the easy side. Dialogue is very funny and sound of Shantae eating health items is CUTE.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RVWinkle posted:

This is an accurate description of Shantae. Overall, it's short but so are all of the Shantae games. Gameplay is tight but it's a bit on the easy side. Dialogue is very funny and sound of Shantae eating health items is CUTE.

Yep. He's correct on all of these. Took me 8-10 hours to 100% it, definitely on the easier side of metroidvania games, but definitely a good game. I think it probably should have been priced at $10-15 instead of the $20 that they are asking.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Tips for Captain Toad's last level:

You don't need to run to stay ahead of the mummies, they match your speed as well as your movement. Not holding the run button makes it easier to touch enemies on the touchscreen to stun them.

If you do have to run, use ZR so you can move the camera around without having to slow down.

I haven't beat it yet, but I sure as hell got further after remembering about touching enemies :unsmith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Narcissus1916 posted:

IN 3D WORLD CAT PEACH'S HOVERING ANIMATION HAS HER PAWS SCRATCHING AIR AND IT IS SO CUTE OH MY GOD.

This.

When I discovered how they did Peach's hover animation as a cat, I just decided to use Peach the entire game.

Peach owns.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 3, 2015

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Moltrey posted:

This.

When I discovered how they did Peach's hover animation as a cat, I just decided to use Peach the entire game.

Peach owns.

Peach is easily the best character in Mario 3D world for dress float. Cat hover is an added bonus.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Meh, I go with Luigi like always. I love high jumps and slippery controls and owning Hisstocrats like you wouldn't believe.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Goddamn you people, it's a "MARIO" game ya just gotta be "MARIO" the lead character

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You mean the boring character.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

There are like two dozen Mario games and Mario is the worst character in all of them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

After I unlocked Rosalina I use her always. Why would you not want a double jump

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

a_big_dog posted:

Goddamn you people, it's a "MARIO" game ya just gotta be "MARIO" the lead character

um excuse me

luigi is a mario

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

After I unlocked Rosalina I use her always. Why would you not want a double jump
And the ability to punch poo poo whenever. Remember when Mario would punch and kick fools in the face? What happened to that guy?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Godinster posted:

Peach is easily the best character in Mario 3D world for dress float. Cat hover is an added bonus.

One good thing in 3D World is that there isn't a "best character". Everyone has their uses. It's not like Super Mario Bros 2 where one character (Peach) is effectively useless and another character is absurdly overpowered (Luigi; jumps the same distance as Peach floats with extra height for bypassing a lot of levels while picking things up faster).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Random Stranger posted:

One good thing in 3D World is that there isn't a "best character". Everyone has their uses. It's not like Super Mario Bros 2 where one character (Peach) is effectively useless and another character is absurdly overpowered (Luigi; jumps the same distance as Peach floats with extra height for bypassing a lot of levels while picking things up faster).

Luigi is the best, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Except Mario. gently caress that guy.

• Locked thread