Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mendrian posted:

I played a Cleric who beat things to death with his hammer almost as well as the Blackguard in the party

This doesn't make him a good striker, by any stretch of the imagination.

Clerics can do hellish damage at later levels, but they do it by buffing their allies and penalising their enemies. Sever the Source in particular is a ludicrously good power, but see also Deadly Lure, for instance.

Which isn't to say Clerics can't off-strike - Mighty Hew is good as it's off-action, Weapon of Astral Flame is great for one encounter, these are why clerics hybrid so well onto STR primary strikers - but they're not ever going to be particularly good at it. With a few exceptions, they almost entirely lack off-action or multi-attack powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What made the class/role thing click for me was the forum LP, and Medibot's sacred librarian of Ioun being an Avenger (IIRC). The class primarily describes what you do in combat, with a few restrictions on skills.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And there's no harm whatsoever in lifting the class skill limitation, either, save for the very remote chance that everyone will gravitate towards the same skills and leave vital areas uncovered (which isn't even a big deal when it does happen).

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

My Lovely Horse posted:

And there's no harm whatsoever in lifting the class skill limitation, either, save for the very remote chance that everyone will gravitate towards the same skills and leave vital areas uncovered (which isn't even a big deal when it does happen).

People will always make assumptions about who has which skills though, and give you no end of poo poo for being a Wizard without training in Arcana. I don't have it because I'm a goddamn Hybrid, alright? :colbert:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Could be worse- you could be a Resourceful Magician who's automagically trained in Arcana four times.

Or a fighter with three skills total.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Good point, number of trained skills is even more of a concern. I gave everyone four trained skills period, with no automatic training from your class but additional trained slots from other sources. Wouldn't have minded the automatically trained ones but a few of my players had actually complained about them so, fine with me not to have them.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mind you, the question of making classes take different roles becomes even fuzzier once you add hybrids.

Clerics aren't going to be super strikers. Cleric|Rangers on the other hand...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cleric|Whatevers are basically just Whatevers with Scale armour proficiency and +2 Shield Bonus to AC though. |Cleric is a fix for lovely armour proficiencies that don't match your stat requirements. There are very few hybrids that work that way.

And yeah, on skills, gently caress class skill lists and gently caress classes with tiny numbers of trained skills. But then, DTAS in general. If ability scores were not linked to values of attacks and defences, it would be a lot easier for skills to work properly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Note to self: Write a surge-stealing class that turns them into a temporary resource.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Rules question for sorcerers: If I have Sorcerous Blade Channeling (use a ranged sorcerer attack power through a dagger as melee) does this also apply to blast powers like Burning Spray?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nope, ranged and close (i.e. close blast or close burst) powers are two different classifications and mutually exclusive, even though they can both target nonadjacent creatures. A close blast power can't also be ranged.

There are four basic ranges in the system: melee, ranged, close and area, and that's what the feat refers to.

e: probably worth mentioning that it would make little sense, too - the feat's main purpose is so you can avoid provoking an opportunity attack, but using a close blast already doesn't provoke in the first place. You can stand right next to three orcs and fire away with impunity.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 5, 2015

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Neato, thanks. For some reason I was thinking aoe stuff did provoke opportunity attacks. Time to blast some dudes and maybe teammates. :getin:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

A Bug posted:

For some reason I was thinking aoe stuff did provoke opportunity attacks.

Ranged and Area do. Melee and Close do not.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, is there an online char builder here, or is Homebrew the only way to help my friends make characters?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There is an online one still, which you can find here http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/tools.aspx , or there's CBLoader which if you're careful can get you access to the goon-run, much better, version of the original offline builder.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So I'm trying to build a Sorcerer. I took the Arcane Initiate feat to multiclass Wizard, and then this feat showed up in the list of options:

I'm assuming that since I don't have Arcane Implement Mastery (because I only multiclassed to Wizard) that I either shouldn't be able to take this feat, or that it doesn't do anything for me?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You shouldn't be able to take it as you don't actually meet the prereqs. Quite a lot of the CB isn't coded well.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

You shouldn't be able to take it as you don't actually meet the prereqs. Quite a lot of the CB isn't coded well.

Especially anything to do with Ki Foci......its friggin hilarious.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Multiclassing counts as "is a wizard" for feat prerequisites, and Arcane Implement Mastery is a class feature. I guess there aren't so many feats with an explicit class feature prerequisite that it was worth it to build in a "got here by multiclassing y/n" flag.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Bloodknight, an attempt at an alternate Vampire.

This is the first draft for a really dumb idea I had while sitting in a car sometime during the weekend. Just the first level so far (plus a couple level 2 powers I thought of), because I want to see what people think of the concept before I sink more time and energy into ten levels worth of powers.

I'd like to hear what people think, both in terms of balance, and in how well it reaches the stated goal. Ideas for good feats would be nice, too.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well. First and foremost when I heard it was going to be an alternate Vampire I thought you were going to try and take the Vampire and improve it to more standard Striker levels, or maybe even to the levels of a Ranger. This is not that.

Okay this doesn't really seem all that Vampire like to me, it plays around with temporary hit points which is a thing that a few classes have done, such as the Blackguard and a Battlerager Fighter. But it doesn't really feel like it does a good job even with that. Either way messing around with temporary hit points doesn't seem vampire like at all.

I am not really sure why it is listed as a Striker. It has no Striker Feature. Like a Vampire is a rather weak Striker, but it is still more of a Striker than this.

Sanguine Armor seems more of a tanking thing than anything else, though even 9 temporary hit points per round does very little by epic tier.

I really hope Bloadsoaked Blade is not the intended "Striker feature," as it doesn't do anywhere near as much additional damage as any other Striker feature. Well it does add some bonus to attack, which most classes don't get without using buffs, but still. The other thing is I am not sure that the increased bonus will ever be used, except maybe at 1st level if your Constitution score is rather low. You are aware that temporary hit points don't stack, right?

Philosophy of Heart could help actually trigger the improved value of Bloadsoaked Blade, but only if you would normally spend a healing surge to heal, and that would mean you would be spending the healing surge to gain temporary hit points that you would then be losing to get a slight increase in attack and damage for one attack. Not a good trade.

I am not sure why you would want to use the second half of Philosphy of Precision. Why would you want to delay the gaining of temporary hit points? Especially if doing so means you get half as many as normal?

Philosophy of Wrath is actually pretty nice, though it would be better if the temporary hit points gained also included the damage from the extra dice in the crit. Get a weapon that is 2d6 Brutal 2 and use this for Brutal 3 on a 2d6 means 6 minimum damage, not bad.

Bloodwake Scream at least seems like a striker power, at least when used against an enemy that isn't bloodied. But there are other classes, striker and otherwise, that gain a similar power option, even striker classes that you know actually have a striker feature. And of course without a striker feature you start feeling less like a striker if you aren't using this at will.

Drink Deep will never be used. Well except if your Charisma modifier happens to be higher than +3 in heroic or +6 in paragon. Simply because again temporary hit points don't stack. And the Bloodknight is likely going to have their Aura up, and so will be triggering the aura with their melee attack anyway.

Thirsty Blade is nice. Almost like a twin strike except you presumably can't attack the same target twice. It does give a bonus to damage, not for itself but for follow up attacks later in the round or during your next turn. Kind of reminds me of that one fire at will that monks can get, except that only attacks one person, still the monk also gets a striker feature.

Unstaunchable Blow is uh well its ongoing damage. It means potentially some free damage on following rounds, but of course there is a save to get it to go away. Monks had an option to turn their Flurry of Blows into ongoing damage, which seemed interesting to me, especially combined with some other stuff. But it also meant their striker feature was weaker, because ongoing damage is weaker than a similar amount of regular damage.

I am not sure if Crimson Curse is a striker power or not. On the one hand pitiful damage that is nowhere near a striker power. On the other hand if it brings the enemy close enough you get to make a basic attack which means two attacks against that enemy that turn.

I guess Grisly Execution is kind of like Power Attack or whatever the essential's fighter encounter power was called. No attack roll, triggered on a hit. Though instead of multiple dice of additional damage it is a single die plus strength modifier damage. Though it starts to be actual respectable damage for 1st level if you are a Philosophy of Precision. But Philosophy of Precision leads to using Intelligence instead of Strength. But the Philosophy of Precision version of Grisly Execution still adds strength to damage instead of intelligence.

Sanguine Storm doesn't seem like a striker power. It becomes a little more like a striker power if you manage to bloody someone with it, but otherwise it really isn't a striker power.

Thicker than Water is not a Striker power. It seems more like a Leader power, or maybe even a Defender power. Admittedly the Vampire itself gets some things later on that are more leaderish, but that is much higher.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Actually, if you really whacked at the vampire it could become a solid enough controller, striker or defender (or maybe even leader, but I don't have that much of a concept for it). Give them the ability to select actual powers, make Blood Drinker deal your surge value in damage instead of d10s and have riders based on role and make Hidden Might better and something you can replace with other role functions. It would be increasing levels of complex.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah it would be easier to improve the Vampire. And those are all things it needs. It would be nice if the Vampire had more options, more powers. Say options to improve their regeneration, options to improve their damage so they can actually optimize like weapon using or arcane characters. But yeah one of the biggest problems with the Vampire is that it simply doesn't have choices.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, wow, I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn't realize it'd be that bad. Back to the drawing board.

Edit Gonna try giving it a major overhaul. I was playing pretty close to the chest in terms of not wanting to make things overpowered, but I apparently went way too far the other direction, so let me toy with things.

Edit2 Completely overhauled the class features. Gonna take another crack at the powers... tomorrow. For now, I will sleep.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 7, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Multiclassing counts as "is a wizard" for feat prerequisites, and Arcane Implement Mastery is a class feature. I guess there aren't so many feats with an explicit class feature prerequisite that it was worth it to build in a "got here by multiclassing y/n" flag.

Most things predicated on class features have a 'have class feature x y/n flag though', including things like sneak attack which you can't build that class without. Coding them is fairly simple to do, it's just that for some feats, particularly later ones, the coding was massively :effort:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, wow, I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn't realize it'd be that bad. Back to the drawing board.

Edit Gonna try giving it a major overhaul. I was playing pretty close to the chest in terms of not wanting to make things overpowered, but I apparently went way too far the other direction, so let me toy with things.

Edit2 Completely overhauled the class features. Gonna take another crack at the powers... tomorrow. For now, I will sleep.

Remember, in order for a striker to be "good" it needs a decent nova, the easiest way to accomplish that is through Multi-Attacks, look at the Ranger and Barbarian attack powers that are often used in the charop forums http://community.wizards.com/forums/103451 for some good ideas on what powers should look like for it to be good. The second big way that strikers can become "good" is through use of the charge package, which a heavy emphasis on MBA's in class design, will lead to.

The second big component of strikers is their DPR. Now, this is less important than the nova, but for a Striker to be decent you want them to At-Will be able to do between 20-30 damage in heroic, 40-60 in paragon and 60-90 in Epic.

The other thing I would recommend is to not worry about these multiple philosophy designs you have going through your head, work on 1 "philosophy" path, get it right, then work on the secondary set of choices and riders. Do Not bite off more than you can chew.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

These days it's mostly multi-attacks and elemental damage abuse. Charge package is OK but not amazing.

And yeah, if you're intending to design a striker that's competitive with strikers in general, it needs a nova that kills a standard, ideally without an AP using only encounter resources.

If you're just designing a character for your home game, the most important thing is that you make something that matches your group's general level of optimisation.

But I'd really ask... why do you need to homebrew? This reads like something you could trivially reflavour from basically any striker class. Hell (for a given value of striker) it already basically IS the blackguard.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Speaking of Blackguards, I had an idea for a "remix" where
  • You can use Charisma in place of Strength for attack and damage rolls when you make a melee basic attack with a heavy blade.
  • You deal extra damage equal to your Constitution modifier on melee attacks.
  • Brash Challenge: once per round as a minor action you can challenge the closest enemy to you. You grant combat advantage to any challenged enemies, but deal 1[W] extra damage (per tier) on any successful melee attacks against them.

The consensus seemed to be "it's a good start."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

If you're just designing a character for your home game, the most important thing is that you make something that matches your group's general level of optimisation.

This here is probably the single most important bit of character creation advice you will ever receive. There is nothing more irritating than being a member of a group that's generally low-op except for the guy who built the twinked-out striker; the striker ends up melting everything and the rest of the group gets to feel like their contribution is meaningless. T

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is there any official naval/ship combat info release? I have an idea of what to do if there isn't, and would like to run it by you guys, but I didn't know if anything existed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Not really, I don't think. I've played naval combat rules in a couple of cases, but never been satisfied with them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Is there any official naval/ship combat info release? I have an idea of what to do if there isn't, and would like to run it by you guys, but I didn't know if anything existed.

There's some information on boats and ship combat in Adventurer's Vault.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
My advice for ship-to-ship combat would be just to run a melee on the deck of your ship, with skill checks needed to steer the ship into a position where it can fire on the enemy, to man the cannons, and so on. Do this while the enemy ship has adds swinging across onto your deck, cannons pounding your ship with AOE, and you've got a pretty cool fight.

Think of it like the ship battles in Pirates of the Carribean. Nobody cared where the ships were relative to one another except inasmuch as whether they were in cannon range. What mattered was the things that were going on on the deck.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Whybird posted:

My advice for ship-to-ship combat would be just to run a melee on the deck of your ship, with skill checks needed to steer the ship into a position where it can fire on the enemy, to man the cannons, and so on. Do this while the enemy ship has adds swinging across onto your deck, cannons pounding your ship with AOE, and you've got a pretty cool fight.

Think of it like the ship battles in Pirates of the Carribean. Nobody cared where the ships were relative to one another except inasmuch as whether they were in cannon range. What mattered was the things that were going on on the deck.

My plan was to do something like this, except have it so that the wheel, sail and canons would be standard actions to interact with, changing the direction and speed, or allowing an attack from that direction. Then have lots of boarding and the like. I might just obscure that for narrative info, we'll see how my players react.

Arivia posted:

There's some information on boats and ship combat in Adventurer's Vault.

Is it any good?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Moriatti posted:

Is it any good?
It certainly covers most of what you mentioned very well, there's general info on how to drive a vehicle (basically, someone has to take a move action every turn), change direction, what happens if it goes out of control etc., as well as stats and special conditions for anything from a wagon to an airship. A greatship is included. Nothing specifically on cannons and swinging from ship to ship but that's easy to figure out.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Personally, I'd probably just run the whole thing as a skill challenge, with the results impacting the ensuing boarding fight.

So maybe they've got two passes around the table.

Each round one player can make a hard roll to pilot the ship (aided by athletics checks from others manning the rigging). For each miss, there's a 3x3 zone of fire on their ship at the start of the fight as they take cannon fire.

Existing fires can be put out with an athletics check.

For each cannon they have, someone can make a moderate ranged attack roll. Each success reduces the number of minions in the fight by 2. A critical hit removes a standard instead.

Once the fight starts each fire has a chance to spread along one edge, and if 50% of the deck is on fire their ship starts sinking or the rigging starts on fire or whatever.

Stuff like that. If you don't want to force a fight you can also keep track of ship damage and let them try to use their piloting roll to avoid the boarding action instead of avoiding fire. In that case a successful piloting check gives them another round to do stuff.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Moriatti posted:

My plan was to do something like this, except have it so that the wheel, sail and canons would be standard actions to interact with, changing the direction and speed, or allowing an attack from that direction. Then have lots of boarding and the like. I might just obscure that for narrative info, we'll see how my players react.

Is it any good?

Should probably make that a minor action. No one is going to give up a standard to change the ship's speed if there's enemies on deck. Besides, it would be super heroic looking to have the players use minor actions to kick the wheel or grab a line to change the sails (hell that'd be super awesome, minor action to grab a rigging, move action to ride the sail with the wind for a few squares).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
We're level 21 now with our Magic: the Gathering campaign I've been running, and everyone's loving it. Our rogue picked Dark Wanderer for his epic destiny. The ability to walk pretty much anywhere you need to with only a few restrictions is really intriguing, and he's very excited about never really being able to die (off screen resurrection and teleport).

Has anyone played this? Did it lead to some really cool stuff?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Generally for SCs I find scaling difficulty by action used to be really useful - so there's a genuinely difficult decision to make if it's critical that $thing happens right now - you can do a check as a minor at a hard DC, move at a moderate DC, or standard at an easy DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

theironjef posted:

Should probably make that a minor action. No one is going to give up a standard to change the ship's speed if there's enemies on deck. Besides, it would be super heroic looking to have the players use minor actions to kick the wheel or grab a line to change the sails (hell that'd be super awesome, minor action to grab a rigging, move action to ride the sail with the wind for a few squares).

That does sound pretty cool, I'll probably make it a minor for named characters, and standard for minions. I'm toying with the idea of giving them expendable crewmen anyways.

ImpactVector posted:

Stuff like that. If you don't want to force a fight you can also keep track of ship damage and let them try to use their piloting roll to avoid the boarding action instead of avoiding fire. In that case a successful piloting check gives them another round to do stuff.

Generally this stuff seems helpful, but why would anyone pick 4e if not to force fights often, since that's really the only strengths the game has?