Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Is it a bad thing I want to upgrade my 920 to a 1520? I love the gigantic-ness of it all, and it's a quad core 1080p phone. Is there really anything bad about the 1520?

Check this

Better battery life, RAM, microSD, big screen. Yes. Unless you're interested in the Lumia 1330

So far I'm loving my HTC One M8 for Windows, though.

repeating fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

If you love the giganticness I think you'll love everything about the 1520 really. Probably the best WP phone at the moment, just in a segment that a lot of people don't like (and which WP itself is not really tuned for).

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I just discovered these, if you want to add QI wireless charging back onto the 1520 (bad AT&T) then this is a cheap alternative. The only downside is you need to use a case and you'd want to be wirelessly charging all the time since it ties up the USB port.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN3RR7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also make sure to get the right port orientation.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

repeating posted:

Even if he created a new account it would work. Just check what's listed for "Microsoft account" in Settings>Email + Accounts.

It's his Microsoft Account that says "attention required"... Tapping it requests a login which leads nowhere as logging in leads nowhere. Rinse repeat.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Is it a bad thing I want to upgrade my 920 to a 1520? I love the gigantic-ness of it all, and it's a quad core 1080p phone. Is there really anything bad about the 1520?

I really like mine, but I don't really text or talk on my phone very much. I can see how people may grow to dislike it if you do either of those things often. Going to the gym with one is also probably not going to be feasible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Scuttlebutt is that they're going back to Windows Mobile as name with version 10.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

ElGroucho posted:

I really like mine, but I don't really text or talk on my phone very much. I can see how people may grow to dislike it if you do either of those things often. Going to the gym with one is also probably not going to be feasible.

Well, what do you do with it?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I've complained about this before, but it's really annoying when my calendar appointments are adjusted when I change time zones. Nobody plans their schedule like that. "I want to pick up my dogs at 10am, but I'm currently in CO. I'd better schedule it for 11am so it'll actually be the correct time when I get home." Is there a way to turn it off? It's been annoying me since the WM6.5 days.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I dunno, it was handy for me at least flying home for the holidays since I was flying across time zones. :shobon:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Crumps Brother posted:

I've complained about this before, but it's really annoying when my calendar appointments are adjusted when I change time zones. Nobody plans their schedule like that. "I want to pick up my dogs at 10am, but I'm currently in CO. I'd better schedule it for 11am so it'll actually be the correct time when I get home." Is there a way to turn it off? It's been annoying me since the WM6.5 days.

I think this is an Outlook calendar thing rather than a WP thing

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Since buying my Lumia, people tell me the sound is bad through my Samsung bluetooth headset. It was fine, crystal clear, on my HTC android phone. What could be the trouble?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

wormil posted:

Since buying my Lumia, people tell me the sound is bad through my Samsung bluetooth headset. It was fine, crystal clear, on my HTC android phone. What could be the trouble?

Have you tried it with another phone since then? Maybe it coincidentally broke when you switched phones

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So after a few days in rice my bathtub dunked 1520 wont turn on. No response with a usb charger in (though it's a lower ampage vs. the 1520's original. I have yet to try a charging plate, though I don't think the battery would have died so I don't think this is the problem.

Any ideas on the next steps to rehabilitate a water damaged phone? This 920 I'm back on is insufficient.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

So after a few days in rice my bathtub dunked 1520 wont turn on. No response with a usb charger in (though it's a lower ampage vs. the 1520's original. I have yet to try a charging plate, though I don't think the battery would have died so I don't think this is the problem.

Any ideas on the next steps to rehabilitate a water damaged phone? This 920 I'm back on is insufficient.

Take it to the local Microsoft store and tell them it doesn't work or turn on? Should still be under the one year warranty and they are pretty lax with replacements, even if its not something covered by warranty such as drops.

My girlfriend took an 18 month old 920 whose battery was lasting only 6-7 hours on a full charge and they just swapped it out for a new 1020. I have heard though that sometimes they'll only do an out of warranty/etc replacement if you buy their extended warranty thing.

Worth a shot though I think, just make sure you make an appointment through the store because otherwise you'll get there and they will make you set up an appointment.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Zarfol posted:

Take it to the local Microsoft store and tell them it doesn't work or turn on?

I've replaced the screen in a few of the Lumias and they do have a water damage marker inside so....heads up

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
With the 630 going for £50 odd on PAYG (and £70 sim free) does any one know if these PAYG are carrier locked?

I was thinking of upgrading from my 520 until my contract ends

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
WatchESPN now available for Windows Phone, if you're into that sort of thing.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A while back I bitched about having to give up my WP to move to the carrier my workplace uses for company phones. Pro being that my phone would be paid for by my company, and the con being that I wouldn't get to use a Windows Phone. No one really gives a poo poo, but I've just worked out a deal with my job to just let me request an expense every month to cover my personal phone bill and just use my personal phone as my work phone. So I get to cling to this sinking ship until it hits rock bottom! :neckbeard:

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Foxtrot_13 posted:

With the 630 going for £50 odd on PAYG (and £70 sim free) does any one know if these PAYG are carrier locked?

I was thinking of upgrading from my 520 until my contract ends

Where are you seeing that price? If it's carphonewarehouse,, then they are not locked.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

larchesdanrew posted:

A while back I bitched about having to give up my WP to move to the carrier my workplace uses for company phones. Pro being that my phone would be paid for by my company, and the con being that I wouldn't get to use a Windows Phone. No one really gives a poo poo, but I've just worked out a deal with my job to just let me request an expense every month to cover my personal phone bill and just use my personal phone as my work phone. So I get to cling to this sinking ship until it hits rock bottom! :neckbeard:

We're not too far from rock bottom.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Cream posted:

Where are you seeing that price? If it's carphonewarehouse,, then they are not locked.

Tesco have them for £59

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I'm a glutton for punishment and want back in the Windows phone game. Anyone want to trade a HTC One for Windows for a like new LG G3?

:getin:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just picked up a 1520 and it's amazing. :allears:

I really have to complain about AT&T here though. I went to the store at the mall and asked straight up for a 1520, and after they determined that no, they do not, he tried to sell me on a G3. Then when I asked where I could buy one he said nowhere in the area. I went to the Microsoft store in the same loving mall and they had not only them on hand, but in every color. Thanks AT&T!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 2, 2015

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Is anyone else having problems with the Awful Forum Reader app? A couple days ago it started to not work, it just hangs at the opening screen and nothing happens after that. I tried deleting and reinstalling it and I tried moving it from the SD card to the phone's storage but still nothing.

All my other apps seem to be working fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ev posted:

Is anyone else having problems with the Awful Forum Reader app? A couple days ago it started to not work, it just hangs at the opening screen and nothing happens after that. I tried deleting and reinstalling it and I tried moving it from the SD card to the phone's storage but still nothing.

All my other apps seem to be working fine.

Both working fine here.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

wormil posted:

Both working fine here.

I deleted/reinstalled again and now it's working so... uh... ignore me.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ev posted:

I deleted/reinstalled again and now it's working so... uh... ignore me.

The only thing I can think of is that the cookie I store lost validation (either by being installed on your device for a long time, or doing something like changing your password/user name) and it did not fetch the update (or brought you back to the login screen) like it should have done. Instead it tried to authenticate you through the bad cookie, failed, and crashed.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tanith posted:

Well, what do you do with it?

poo poo post

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I've used Windows phones exclusively since Mobile 5 and currently have a 920 which has lost considerable battery life after a little over 2 years of use.

It's about time for me to upgrade but I'm completely unimpressed with the current flagship hardware being offered. None of it feels like an upgrade from my 920 since the OS still runs smoothly as it is. I'm not a fan of gigantic phones becoming popular, either.

8.1 also seemed to take a step back in terms of social media integration for me. I appreciated in 7-8 how I could read and reply to all social posts directly in the "People" tile, but the OS now forces you to go to a respective app do anything. The same applies to Facebook chat in the messaging tile now being forced to use the messenger app.

I'm considering giving Android a shot just because there is new hardware there, but I was hoping maybe this thread can convince me there's something worth sticking around for?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Misc posted:

I've used Windows phones exclusively since Mobile 5 and currently have a 920 which has lost considerable battery life after a little over 2 years of use.

It's about time for me to upgrade but I'm completely unimpressed with the current flagship hardware being offered. None of it feels like an upgrade from my 920 since the OS still runs smoothly as it is. I'm not a fan of gigantic phones becoming popular, either.

8.1 also seemed to take a step back in terms of social media integration for me. I appreciated in 7-8 how I could read and reply to all social posts directly in the "People" tile, but the OS now forces you to go to a respective app do anything. The same applies to Facebook chat in the messaging tile now being forced to use the messenger app.

I'm considering giving Android a shot just because there is new hardware there, but I was hoping maybe this thread can convince me there's something worth sticking around for?

I think we're all equally in the dark, but Microsoft is supposed to reveal things in January that presumably will also cover phone plans for Windows 10. Not that you'll be able to buy a new device or anything most likely, but you'll be able to figure out what you want to do in the future.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Maneki Neko posted:

I think we're all equally in the dark, but Microsoft is supposed to reveal things in January that presumably will also cover phone plans for Windows 10. Not that you'll be able to buy a new device or anything most likely, but you'll be able to figure out what you want to do in the future.

It'll give you time to figure out what Android/iPhone to buy :v:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Misc posted:

Just wait. Windows Phone 7.5 8 8.1 10 is gonna change everything!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Misc posted:

Is getting an off-contract Moto G an option? You can see if modern Android suits you.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is getting an off-contract Moto G an option? You can see if modern Android suits you.

2013 Moto X have lately been running nearly the same prices as 2014 Moto G (around $250) and are really good moderately sized phones. I love my 2013 X and the only complaint I have is a relatively short battery life when used heavily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNLOCKE...=item339956581b

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Moving from one failed ecosystem to another: bought a Blackberry. Will keep my Lumia 925 around in order to play with Windows 10.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

TopherCStone posted:

Moving from one failed ecosystem to another: bought a Blackberry. Will keep my Lumia 925 around in order to play with Windows 10.

That's like leaping from the Titanic to the Hindenburg. Except proportionally speaking more people survived the Hindenburg. Hm. I guess maybe you're the Violet Jessop of smartphone users?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For the app situation to improve and make WP finally worthwhile, desktop Windows needs a windowed app store and windowed Metro apps. So then, with an easy way to write and distribute defacto desktop apps, one might expect a new surge of shareware and consequently more Windows Phone apps, if there's finally proper universal apps (not this split project poo poo in Visual Studio). But all that's happening Fall 2015 only, with the release of Windows 10.

And if Windows Phone still follows the deferred release schedule, there'll be another big Android release before Windows Mobile 10, essentially representing a further nail in the coffin.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 3, 2015

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

TopherCStone posted:

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any more depressing. People around here should be convinced that you can get cancer just by so much as touching a Microsoft device at this rate. I love Microsoft's products and also agree there's room for improvement, but Jesus man.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Honestly I like Windows Phone, I just really wanted a hardware keyboard. Since I'm not really huge on apps I don't have much tying me to one device or another as long as I can browse the web, email, and text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Zarfol posted:

Take it to the local Microsoft store and tell them it doesn't work or turn on? Should still be under the one year warranty and they are pretty lax with replacements, even if its not something covered by warranty such as drops.

My girlfriend took an 18 month old 920 whose battery was lasting only 6-7 hours on a full charge and they just swapped it out for a new 1020. I have heard though that sometimes they'll only do an out of warranty/etc replacement if you buy their extended warranty thing.

Worth a shot though I think, just make sure you make an appointment through the store because otherwise you'll get there and they will make you set up an appointment.

I don't want to get too off topic on this but I bought it from a B&H, not MS directly, as it's the extra band T-mobile US version, so I don't think MS would take it nor give me a like replacement if they do.

So the final question is: where are the liquid markers in the 1520? I've found two on the inside of the back case, are there any on the electronic gubbins? Do they even check when you take it back (specifically would B&H even bother?).

The plan is to get a replacement back off ebay with unsullied liquid strips and go in for a replacement which would hopefully get under the initial check radar. Would this work? Have I just incriminated myself?

The 920 I'm back with is nice in the hand but the screen is too small and the charge capacity has dropped like crazy. The 1520 has a longer future, esp. given there's gently caress all on the new Lumia model front.