Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I forgot which Prime game it was (2 I think) but there's a really amazing space pirate log of them trying to replicate the morph ball technology and they talk about how experiments have left subjects a twisted and mangled mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bhodi posted:

Wasn't a fan of brother myself, I also uninstalled it after an hour.

Telling the player that his father is dying and needs medicine from somewhere far away isn't innovative, it's the most generic plot hook ever aside from "you guys are eating in a tavern when.."

As far as twee storygames go Brother is one of the better ones out there simply by virtue of not being a sidescroller with pixel graphics.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Telling the player that his father is dying and needs medicine from somewhere far away isn't innovative, it's the most generic plot hook ever aside from "you guys are eating in a tavern when.."

Oh man, you may not want to look outside anytime soon. The sea of videogames featuring zombies might in fact outnumber how many people use baby talk when around dogs.

Tracula posted:

I forgot which Prime game it was (2 I think) but there's a really amazing space pirate log of them trying to replicate the morph ball technology and they talk about how experiments have left subjects a twisted and mangled mess.

That was just the first one.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I really liked Brothers but something was hosed when I played it and I could never swing above 90 degrees on chains, which you had to do to advance. Had to give it up!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Perestroika posted:

On that note, I really do enjoy that for Inquisition they've moved away from importing some file and instead just offered an online tool for fine-tuning your world state. It's been years since I played those other two games so I don't even have those files any more, and it's also incredibly handy for setting up an entirely different background for a replay.

Yeah, I'll second this. It's also a pretty brilliant way to help encourage players to buy the game instead of pirate it.

I will say though, the fact that each game's main character is technically a different person between the three games does highlight just how often I do the "white, male, sarcastic, mage." Should've done a Qunari rogue :negative:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Greatbacon posted:

Yeah, I'll second this. It's also a pretty brilliant way to help encourage players to buy the game instead of pirate it.

I will say though, the fact that each game's main character is technically a different person between the three games does highlight just how often I do the "white, male, sarcastic, mage." Should've done a Qunari rogue :negative:

Playing as Qunari is pretty great in Inquisition because everyone is suspicious of you and basically rolls their eyes initially when they learn you're the Herald.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

Playing as Qunari is pretty great in Inquisition because everyone is suspicious of you and basically rolls their eyes initially when they learn you're the Herald.

Also it's funny to be a full head and shoulders over everyone who isn't Iron Bull.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
hotline miami is the only game with a good story
it also has gameplay which is a plus in a video game

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Captain Lavender posted:

Sounds like it's a game he doesn't like? I wasn't jazzed either, but it's easy enough to beat regardless.

It's not for everyone, sure, but to say the controls are hosed?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Oh man, you may not want to look outside anytime soon. The sea of videogames featuring zombies might in fact outnumber how many people use baby talk when around dogs.
Hmm yes let's take a look at my recently played and see if games are indeed nothing but zombie survival

Kairo: You're alone in a multi-universe / alien spaceship / alien landscape trying to jumpstart a city-sized machine while discovering what happened to the previous soul occupant
Dark Souls 2: A story that is almost exclusively told through item descriptions
Valkyria Chronicles: It's an anime-colored game with a weird high-school lovestory set to a not-world-war-2-invasion in the form of tactical combat
Payday 2: Tactical FPS where you rob banks in places attached to the plane of elemental cops
The Room: Your friend shipped you a huge box before he disappeared mysteriously, and you have to puzzle out it's mysteries to discover what happened to him
Kerbal Space Program: Cobble together a rocket made from parts found lying on the side of the road and get yourself to the mun! Orbital mechanics trainer disguised as a kid's game
NEO Scavenger: You crawl out of a cryo-pod into a turn-based post-apocalyptic wasteland, having to survive while trying to discover how you got in the cyro-pod in the first place
Transistor: Your boyfriend saves your life and is killed and then accidentally transferred into a sentient blade. Find out why they were targeting you in the first place while absorbing more folks.
Spintires: So Russia it hurts. Navigate a russian bog to pick up and then deliver lumber so you can extend your miserable existence for another day. With friends because depression loves company.

Indeed not only are these games all zombie related but they are all very similar because the games landscape today is entirely one-dimensional.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 3, 2015

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bhodi posted:

Hmm yes let's take a look at my recently played and see if games are indeed nothing but zombie survival

Kairo: You're alone in a multi-universe / alien spaceship / alien landscape trying to jumpstart a city-sized machine while discovering what happened to the previous soul occupant
Valkyria Chronicles: It's an anime-colored game with a weird high-school lovestory set to a not-world-war-2-invasion in the form of tactical combat
Payday 2: Tactical FPS where you rob banks in places attached to the plane of elemental cops
The Room: Your friend shipped you a huge box before he disappeared mysteriously, and you have to puzzle out it's mysteries to discover what happened to him
Kerbal Space Program: Cobble together a rocket made from parts found lying on the side of the road and get yourself to the mun! Orbital mechanics trainer disguised as a kid's game
NEO Scavenger: You crawl out of a cryo-pod into a turn-based post-apocalyptic wasteland, having to survive while trying to discover how you got in the cyro-pod in the first place
Transistor: Your boyfriend saves your life and is killed and then accidentally transferred into a sentient blade. Find out why they were targeting you in the first place while absorbing more folks.
Spintires: So Russia it hurts. Navigate a russian bog to pick up and then deliver lumber so you can extend your miserable existence for another day. With friends because depression loves company.

Indeed not only are these games all zombie related but they are all very similar because the games landscape today is entirely one-dimensional.

In how many of those are you told that your father is dying and you need medicine from far away? Because if the answer isnt "a shittonne of them" then havent you disproved your point as much as his? Because his point of "wow there sure are a lot of games about zombies", while not exactly an original observation, seems a) fairly uncontroversial and b) a really really odd thing to get so worked up about.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the majority of video games have bad writing

the majority of books, movies, tv shows, and plays also have bad writing

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The problem with "Your father is sick, go help him" is the same reason a lot of people call Disney plots schlock. It's tuned in the most generic fashion to try and evoke emotion. it's the laziest of lazy plot devices.

When you have a game that's allegedly supported by it's plot and characterization, and you play it and find none, it's pretty disappointing.

Edit: Maybe all that comes in after the first hour, I don't know. ANYWAY

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jan 3, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Remember a few years ago when indie gamers used to make fun of big games for being unfinished and over-using zombies, and now every other indie game is an unfinished Kickstarter/Early Access game about zombies.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Remember a few years ago when indie gamers used to make fun of big games for being unfinished and over-using zombies, and now every other indie game is an unfinished Kickstarter/Early Access game about zombies.

no i don't tell me more this is blisteringly interesting and original conversation

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

i sure love those little things too
they are cool

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Your comment before was that Brothers was dumb or boring or something because the plot was 'Go get medicine for your dying father'

Bhodi posted:

All I did was make a comment about how if you thought that was lame you should see the roaring maelstrom of video games plot that's basically or other times is literally Zombie Apocalypse. The joke being that zombies or infected or corrupted isn't innovative either and we're drowning in those games still.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Bhodi posted:

You literally play as a zombie in the Dark Souls games. And the game world is full of almost nothing but other reanimated undead. Good example.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Alouicious posted:

the majority of video games have bad writing

the majority of books, movies, tv shows, and plays also have bad writing

Sturgeon’s Revelation, man.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Professor Wayne posted:

You literally play as a zombie in the Dark Souls games. And the game world is full of almost nothing but other reanimated undead. Good example.
Ah poo poo you're totally right. Forget everything I said.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bhodi posted:

The problem with "Your father is sick, go help him" is the same reason a lot of people call Disney plots schlock. It's tuned in the most generic fashion to try and evoke emotion. it's the laziest of lazy plot devices.

When you have a game that's allegedly supported by it's plot and characterization, and you play it and find none, it's pretty disappointing.

Edit: Maybe all that comes in after the first hour, I don't know. ANYWAY

So, kind of like a fairy tale.

Really, the game is more about controlling two characters at the same time. If it were all about the plot the characters wouldn't be speaking an unintelligible language.

The game is like three hours long. If you have the time to play games, you can finish it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Who What Now posted:

Also it's funny to be a full head and shoulders over everyone who isn't Iron Bull.

My first time through I played as a male dorf warrior and my second was as a female Qunari rogue. It was amusing that sometimes the camera would cut off my characters head just because of how loving tall she is.

RareAcumen posted:

That was just the first one.

Ah right. Did a little googling and found it.

"Log 11.222.8

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward."

:allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
To prove how loving stupid space pirates are, the only reverse-engineering they managed were making pirates that fought slightly stronger weapons while also being weak to the very weapons they were using. Complete with color-coding.

Space Pirates are the dumbest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bhodi posted:

Ah poo poo you're totally right. Forget everything I said.

Oh believe me, we're all trying.

Not necessarily a 'little' thing, but I always enjoyed how, when, in the Timesplitters series, you turn character abilities on, non-flammable characters are actually non-flammable. It's more of an appreciation to detail, I guess.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To prove how loving stupid space pirates are, the only reverse-engineering they managed were making pirates that fought slightly stronger weapons while also being weak to the very weapons they were using. Complete with color-coding.

Or Samus is the advancest.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I got Postal 2 for a buck during the Steam sale and while it's a terrible game on just about every objective level I love the mayhem that breaks out when you have all the settings at max so levels are crammed with NPCs and bodies never go away; a single firefight can cascade into map-wide panic and a stray severed head can cause a chain reaction of puking bystanders. Especially when you combine it with the random weapon system for NPCs, which leads to hilarity like a National Guard soldier trying to kill an attacking pit bull with a napalm launcher only to blow himself up and set a crowd of people on fire in the process.

Also Running With Scissors is not only inexplicably still in business but is still supporting the game over a decade later, so the referential humor wraps around from outright bad to a surreal nightmare where you play through an extended Pulp Fiction homage and protesters wear shirts with Joe Lieberman on them but NPCs make references to YouTube and you can use a can of Axe body spray as a flamethrower and the achievements are all image macros that make references to Reddit, Workaholics, and Mel Gibson's dad.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To be fair, the other bounty hunters in Prime 3 weren't that much brighter. They managed to get themselves corrupted, which you avoid by firing your weapons, which is probably what they should have been doing anyway.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

My first time through I played as a male dorf warrior and my second was as a female Qunari rogue. It was amusing that sometimes the camera would cut off my characters head just because of how loving tall she is.

Ah right. Did a little googling and found it.

"Log 11.222.8

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward."

:allears:

Alternatively the previous page of this thread has this exact same quote along with 3 others. :v:

Never played Prime 3, might look up some of those logs.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dpbjinc posted:

To be fair, the other bounty hunters in Prime 3 weren't that much brighter. They managed to get themselves corrupted, which you avoid by firing your weapons, which is probably what they should have been doing anyway.

I thought that was a feature of the PED and the Pirates had no way to bleed excess phazon

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Who What Now posted:

I thought that was a feature of the PED and the Pirates had no way to bleed excess phazon

I thought all the bounty hunters/space marines had the PED.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dpbjinc posted:

I thought all the bounty hunters/space marines had the PED.

Right, hunters and space marines (although I think only specific PED troopers had it) but not pirates.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Flectarn posted:

hotline miami is the only game with a good story
it also has gameplay which is a plus in a video game

Actually it's a v. bad and dumb story

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Actually it's a v. bad and dumb story

I will stand 12.1 feet away from you (where I'm invisible) and throw a gun at your head.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Brothers doesn't have a wildly innovative story but gosh it sure tells it well.

That's my two cents.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Professor Wayne posted:

Only if you get killed! :)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Less Fat Luke posted:

Only if you get killed! :)

Nope, you start as a corpse in both.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Who What Now posted:

Nope, you start as a corpse in both.

Not for long in 2 though!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mierenneuker posted:

So, kind of like a fairy tale.

Really, the game is more about controlling two characters at the same time. If it were all about the plot the characters wouldn't be speaking an unintelligible language.

The game is like three hours long. If you have the time to play games, you can finish it.

What makes Brothers good is that the story is directly tied into the gameplay, you have to work together and essentially become an efficient team. When it's done right and as you get better, it becomes more fluid and easier. It's almost as if the brothers are becoming closer and knowing what the other is going to do or what they're thinking without needing to communicate about it, whereas at the start you were likely clunky and had simpler problems to solve. It literally ties your development as a player into the interactions of the characters. That's pretty amazing, that's doing what 99% of other games fail to do, Brothers even tells its story with minimal dialogue or exposition but still makes its world feel interesting and expansive, the exact opposite of what most games do.
It's well done, and saying that the premise of the plot being boring brings down the whole thing is unbelievably retarded.
In fact, I made the same point earlier, good writing or story isn't the premise being interesting or the overarching narrative of the plot being some amazing work of mind bending twists.
I swear the only people that ever say that poo poo about writing or story in anything are the same dumbasses that have never read anything other than a Fantasy or Sci-Fi novel.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Also, the story turns seriously weird after you have to bathe in blood of innocents to impersonate a god and soon after, cut off a giant's hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't there one where they just about state that Science Team or Command are loving morons because of some fuckup or other?

The Trooper logs were pretty good as well. One was about a female soldier who apparently couldn't shut up about Samus and wanted to be like her (and her respective log was indeed about Samus). The rest of the squad thought Samus was a myth like Santa Claus :allears:.

I had almost written up a big spergy post about all the little things I loved about the Prime series, there are an absurd amount of details they put into the games that just make the world feel more alive. So instead of just listing everything I'll post my favorite detail of the series and that is Samus' visor. There are a ton of visor effects in the series ranging from rain, to bug guts and even including a funny reboot sequence in the second game if a specific enemy type hits you with a rare move. You can also see Samus' face reflected in it under certain conditions, and in the third game she's notably more and more corrupted by phazon as the game progresses in her reflections.