Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I'm broken. I got to the bonus book in Captain Toad and did everything in it on my first or second try (second was usually to find the gold mushroom I missed). Like I was let down that it ended at Pyro Puff Peak because even with the special challenge I thought it was to simple and the only thing I really had to change was walking in a tiny circle in safe spots to get going.

Also in 3D world I used Luigi and Toad. Rosalina and Peach are just way to slow and Mario's boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

One good thing in 3D World is that there isn't a "best character". Everyone has their uses. It's not like Super Mario Bros 2 where one character (Peach) is effectively useless and another character is absurdly overpowered (Luigi; jumps the same distance as Peach floats with extra height for bypassing a lot of levels while picking things up faster).
Well except that Toad is pretty obviously the worst character to use in 3D World, but yes, all the other characters do have their uses (though Luigi's the best, of course).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Toad all day everyday 24/7 365 days a year

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PrBacterio posted:

Well except that Toad is pretty obviously the worst character to use in 3D World, but yes, all the other characters do have their uses (though Luigi's the best, of course).

Toad is by far the fastest so he's the best for racing ghosts. :colbert:

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Toad fuckin sucks at 3D world. It's a good thing he has a cute Adventure game to make up for it.

Also I had no idea you could spin jump until just yesterday after the game was beaten

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Godinster posted:

Toad fuckin sucks at 3D world. It's a good thing he has a cute Adventure game to make up for it.

Well, the real Toad is busy having adventures. Blue cap's a poser.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Godinster posted:

Also I had no idea you could spin jump until just yesterday after the game was beaten

Toad sucks, Captain Toad (and Toadette) is the best and cutest.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Toad with a cat suit makes those chase the flagpole levels so trivial it's hilarious.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sounds like people in this thread suck at going fast honestly :colbert:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

zolthorg posted:

What the gently caress happened to Captain Toad? I unlocked the final final challenge level and its an arduously long action game of "what's behind the blind corner?" which you have to play through the entire thing in one sitting (or play through the first 10 minutes to continue practising the action game dodging of the new elements thrown at you) with heavy reliance on luck and random elements.

The only reliance on luck has to do with how far away the "stairs" to the next floor are from your spawn point. Beyond that, everything is well within your control. Every single enemy in that level can be manipulated with the stylus, and doing so skillfully made for some of the most tense, tight, and enjoyable moments in Captain Toad, for me. If you aren't otherwise holding both thumbs on both sticks and using ZR to run, then I feel sorry for you and recommend you start doing that immediately. Rotate the camera all day, every day.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sounds like people in this thread suck at going fast honestly :colbert:

Where's the Sonic DLC?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

What's the verdict on the new Shantae game? It looked like it was getting pretty good reviews and I'm usually up for a good platformer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Katana Gomai posted:

There are like two dozen Mario games and Mario is the worst character in all of them.

That's why Mario is Missing is the best game.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Is that really a new Shantae game because it looks like a Gameboy Advance game to me

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

whaley posted:

Is that really a new Shantae game because it looks like a Gameboy Advance game to me

the term is "indie" you plebian!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

whaley posted:

The second and third game have those same style of graphics, which are sprites comparable to the GBA yes. But it's higher res so you see more of the map at a time and the character portraits are HD. It's pretty cool and I wish more games would do that, good sprites and art direction are timeless.

The in-development 4th game has a new, more modern art style however.

edit: I should also mention those are all screengrabs from miiverse so they are compressed and who knows what else done to them, it looks nicer in game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Light Gun Man posted:

edit: I should also mention those are all screengrabs from miiverse so they are compressed and who knows what else done to them, it looks nicer in game.

The game still looks pretty dated next to 3d World, Rayman Legends, Ducktales, Gucamelee, and Tropical freeze.

Hell Dragon's Crown has a higher resolution for the sprites and they did the same poo poo Shantae did with it's backgrounds.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
lol yeah it's not like the style is gorgeous and requires an immense amount of effort

The Taint Reaper posted:

The game still looks pretty dated next to 3d World, Rayman Legends, Ducktales, Gucamelee, and Tropical freeze.
Ducktales has awful-looking 3D backgrounds that clash with everything else and already looks dated because of that. The animation in Shantae is also significantly more detailed than that of Guacamelee or Rayman Legends, as the sprites aren't tweened nearly as much. Dragon's Crown also has some really lame animations, a number of which suffer from the issue of being mismatched with the force at which the characters perform actions. I don't even like Pirate's Curse, and here I am getting seriously Taint Reaped over it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hell Dragon's Crown has a higher resolution for the sprites and they did the same poo poo Shantae did with it's backgrounds.

I get what you mean, but I am pretty sure wayforward just likes old style sprites still and choose to use them. It is just an artistic choice. Not everyone will love it I suppose, but I think they do a pretty good job with it.

They were very much prolific on the game boy color and game boy advance so maybe they just stick with it because it is familiar to them, dunno. I like that someone is basically making modern retro games, myself.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The game is also a 3DS game that they happened to decide to port to the Wii U at the last minute anyway.

They did the same thing with Mighty Switch Force 2.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

The game is also a 3DS game that they happened to decide to port to the Wii U at the last minute anyway.

Since we're all talking about Shantae, the game looks richer on the Wii U than on the 3DS. Both look pretty good, but the graphics are obviously crisper looking in HD.

I regret saying it was the best platformer since the SNES. It probably isn't the best since the SNES, but I stand by saying it is a really really good platformer. Making a good platformer is really hard to do. You don't want it too easy or too difficult. You want there to be hidden stuff, but not too hidden.

One thing that is great is they make it clear what will kill you. Bottomless pits have skulls coming out of them. So, you know there isn't a secret area down there. When you're in a 2D world, sometimes it is hard to know what might be a passage downward versus a death pit.

All in all, I love the Wii U. I have been playing Hyrule Warriors the most. Even more than Smash Bros. Hyrule Warriors is the game that won't end. If you ever wanted a Zelda binge this is the game for you. Shantae is a good 8 to 10 hour romp of fun. Collect all the ______ to unlock a new game mode (all items given to you up front) so you can play again and try to speedrun it. So, it is worthwhile to play it twice.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish Nintendo would make a Metroid Prime HD collection that included a remade color version of Metroid 2 as a bonus feature.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The person that thought those dialog boxes looked good should be arrested

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mercury Crusader posted:

Where's the Sonic DLC?

Every wonder why the playable toad is blue???

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Spacebump posted:

I wish Nintendo would make a Metroid Prime HD collection that included a remade color version of Metroid 2 as a bonus feature.

yes

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
a question: Do kids to day even have the ability to deal with pixel art graphics? my gut feeling is that only people who have nostalgia from like snes era and before would like it, aside from kids who would now listen to eminem to enjoy old school hip hop not like the cr*p we have to day.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, this. It's a 3DS game, hence the low res graphics. It is a good game though, so don't let Taint Reaper sour you on it.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Ruddha posted:

a question: Do kids to day even have the ability to deal with pixel art graphics? my gut feeling is that only people who have nostalgia from like snes era and before would like it, aside from kids who would now listen to eminem to enjoy old school hip hop not like the cr*p we have to day.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Magnificent.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Fremry posted:

Yeah, this. It's a 3DS game, hence the low res graphics. It is a good game though, so don't let Taint Reaper sour you on it.

Yeah I can't imagine why this indie game doesn't look as good as four of these higher budget video games

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, Wayforward for any other faults that they might have, generally have pretty good art direction in their games. It's just that they're a bit :sonia: fixated to the point where you want to go, "Okay guys, you can tone it down a bit."

I'm surprised they didn't give Scrooge McDuck a rack... (EDIT: DO NOT GOOGLE SEARCH FOR THAT! :stare: )

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ruddha posted:

a question: Do kids today even have the ability to deal with pixel art graphics? my gut feeling is that only people who have nostalgia from like snes era and before would like it, aside from kids who would now listen to eminem to enjoy old school hip hop not like the cr*p we have to day.

Can't really see why they wouldn't. Apart from a few silly people on the internet I've never seen anybody have a universal dislike for sprites and stuff. Remember that GBA and DS games were still mainly sprite-based and tons of kids were playing those through the 00s, and I still see some around today.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 3, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Man minecraft looks like poo poo

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Looper posted:

its also a bad game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Help Im Alive posted:

The person that thought those dialog boxes looked good should be arrested

WF does this with all their games and it's loving terrible. They'll draw a ton of slick-arse sprites and background and then plop those embarrassing dialogue boxes on top like it ain't poo poo.

Ruddha posted:

I can tell you that a lot of producers at licensed shovelware factors genuinely think they can't and will make devs use bad 3D in place of good 2D wherever possible.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Grandpa's video games

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Looper posted:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

its also a bad game

While both true statements, it's ridiculously popular. You can buy Minecraft books and toys and Legos and all sorts of poo poo and the game looks like someone threw up a PSX

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Whatever your feelings on Minecraft are, be it a bad game or terrible design or poo poo graphics, Notch sold that hugely popular franchise for $3 Billion.

My point being, and this goes for the entirety of video games, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that millions of other people out there agree with you.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Ultigonio posted:

The only reliance on luck has to do with how far away the "stairs" to the next floor are from your spawn point. Beyond that, everything is well within your control. Every single enemy in that level can be manipulated with the stylus, and doing so skillfully made for some of the most tense, tight, and enjoyable moments in Captain Toad, for me. If you aren't otherwise holding both thumbs on both sticks and using ZR to run, then I feel sorry for you and recommend you start doing that immediately. Rotate the camera all day, every day.

I use a claw grip to control the right stick with my right index finger and hold down run. Tapping enemies is loving stupid. I watched a video of someone slogging through the 20 minute long bonus level and even with effectively cheating at the game by using the tap feature, he still gets completely lucky and avoids dying around like 10 blind corners and enemies really close to walls. Its pure RNG even if you cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

majormonotone posted:

While both true statements, it's ridiculously popular. You can buy Minecraft books and toys and Legos and all sorts of poo poo and the game looks like someone threw up a PSX

Have you ever played a PSX game? This is unfair. Minecraft looks super bland but I wouldn't call it distinctly ugly. Playstation 1 graphics were actively disgusting; they were a combination of offensively low resolution and small draw distance on top of being shoehorned into 3D graphics when sprites would have looked and performed better.

• Locked thread