Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh poo poo, is that alien at the end a Skrull?

Maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It's actually our third legally distinct generic bug-like warrior army!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

This is a quote from the first page of this thread

Grifter posted:

With Chris Pratt set to be in both the lego movie and Guardians of the Galaxy, his career could die before it's really born. It's too bad, he's great on parks and rec.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Lego Movie was better than Guardians. It was better than almost everything else.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Lego Movie was better than Guardians. It was better than almost everything else.

But they are the exact same film.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Guardians was a terrible movie. I don't get the love for it. Star wars it most definitely isn't as some proclaim it to be.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Guardians was a terrible movie. I don't get the love for it. Star wars it most definitely isn't as some proclaim it to be.

Not getting the love for it is perfectly alright. Actively denying that love for it exists is dumb.

Not that that is what was happening here, just saying.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You're not alone. I thought it was passable and didn't regret seeing it or anything, but I found it to be in the bottom three as far as the MCU is concerned and barely even registering as a sci-fi movie on its own merits.

Then again my daughter goes absolutely apeshit over it like I remember I used to do for Star Wars when I was her age, so maybe I'm just getting old and cynical.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I liked it but I don't agree with the praise for it. Star Lord and Gammora were bland as hell, it shoved in a shitload of stuff that only mattered for future movies (everything with Thanos), and the Howard the Duck stinger was pathetic. While it was by no means a bad film I'd much rather watch any of the other phase 2 movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Guardians was okay, Lego Movie was real bad

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I liked Guardians a lot but I don't understand why people went completely mental over it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lego Movie was real bad
:frogout:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I realize I just professed muted enjoyment of a Marvel movie, but even I can only be aggressively marketed to so much before I start to get a little queasy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I realize I just professed muted enjoyment of a Marvel movie, but even I can only be aggressively marketed to so much before I start to get a little queasy.
lol

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I don't really get the massive love for Guardians either; it just felt like the usual vanilla Marvel formula in a slightly different setting. My biggest issue with that film is that I feel like it takes a lot of emotional shortcuts; the film just constantly uses pop culture and comic book references to hide the fact that there's not much to the script past a shitload of exposition and Star Wars tributes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's really cool and interesting that you guys didn't like it, and we're all very glad you told us, but it was still a huge hit and made a bajillion dollars, and we're talking about the people who thought it was going to crash Marvel Studios

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Opopanax posted:

That's really cool and interesting that you guys didn't like it, and we're all very glad you told us, but it was still a huge hit and made a bajillion dollars, and we're talking about the people who thought it was going to crash Marvel Studios

It didn't just make a bajillion dollars. It was the biggest movie domestically and second internationally. It even beat all the other comic book movies that year, which were all sequels.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

People liked Guardians because it set out to be a capital, bolded F-U-N movie.

I almost didn't make it to the early screening of Guardians, but when I got the call that there was an open ticket, I raced across town, and walking into the theater the excitement was infectious. Never had such a great time at the movies.

It's just a feel good, sci fi action comedy. There's really not that much to it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Only one movie had Liam Neeson.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't really get the massive love for Guardians either; it just felt like the usual vanilla Marvel formula in a slightly different setting. My biggest issue with that film is that I feel like it takes a lot of emotional shortcuts; the film just constantly uses pop culture and comic book references to hide the fact that there's not much to the script past a shitload of exposition and Star Wars tributes.

The first time I saw it I was as gaga for it as the average movie-goer, it just has such amazing spectacle. But it really didn't hold up well to a second viewing. It was still fun, but when all that spectacle wasn't distracting me from the rest of the movie, that aforementioned script stuck out like a sore thumb. The writing is really weak & lazy.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Grendels Dad posted:

Not getting the love for it is perfectly alright. Actively denying that love for it exists is dumb.

Not that that is what was happening here, just saying.

It isn't!!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

And on a more personal note, I grew rather annoyed with Strange continually belittling Night Nurse; calling her "my dear," being surprised that she was medically proficient, telling her how to wear her hair... It just seemed awfully regressive for a dude who should be on the furthest reaches of human understanding.

Here's the thing, Dr. Strange is a dick:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guardians is my favorite Marvel movie. If you don't get why it's so good you probably just don't like fun simple escapist entertainment. It sets out to be a romp and succeeds, in an age where everything feels very cynical and built-by-committee.

Alhazred posted:

That's a very modern interpretation of the character. People felt Dr. Strange as he's classically depicted was "boring" so they turned him into movie Tony Stark. It blows.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 3, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think a lot of love for Guardians is that recent superhero movies before it were all kind of downers; Superman snaps his first supervillian's neck and thousands of people die, Gwen Stacy is killed, partially because of Spiderman's actions, Cap finds out his childhood friend is a brainwashed assassin and the government is secretly nazis.

Then GotG comes along and is just like "lets hold hands and defeat evil through the power of friendship" and its just great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guardians' biggest problem is that it has no idea what the gently caress to do with Gamora but despite that i still enjoyed it for the most part.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Gross. I have some memories of Strange from my childhood that don't match this portrayal at all. I would have hoped Strange would be a more enlightened dude, what with existing beyond the boundaries of base human shittiness. Don't get me wrong, a reading of Strange that pulled from actual historical mystics, like Crowley and LaVey, could be a hilarious way to take it, as they were pretty comically outrageous horndogs and manipulative fucksocks. But I don't think the writers are putting that much thought into it, or exploring what that would mean.

It's a pretty grim thing to hand a man the keys to reality and watch him become Charlie Sheen.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fraction's Defenders is actually all about that in the end. There's hope for the Doctor of Strange.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Guardians is my favorite Marvel movie. If you don't get why it's so good you probably just don't like fun simple escapist entertainment. It sets out to be a romp and succeeds, in an age where everything feels very cynical and built-by-committee.

That's a very modern interpretation of the character. People felt Dr. Strange as he's classically depicted was "boring" so they turned him into movie Tony Stark. It blows.

Earlier in this thread movie Tony Stark was copied from Dr. Strange.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Earlier in this thread movie Tony Stark was copied from Dr. Strange.

It might surprise you to learn sometimes people have differing opinions about things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They are mutually exclusive. One of you is just wrong, not opinionated.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Psychedelic 70s drugs and sex Doctor Strange is the best Doctor Strange.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

The planet that he was killing for them.

And then right after he went summoned Cthulhu, Stark knocked him out with one repulsor shot. Doc can't catch breaks.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I liked it but I don't agree with the praise for it. Star Lord and Gammora were bland as hell,
Gamora was underutilized, but Star Lord was good, you are crazy.

quote:

it shoved in a shitload of stuff that only mattered for future movies (everything with Thanos),
oh no 3 minutes of screentime tops

quote:

and the Howard the Duck stinger was pathetic.
You shut your whore mouth

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Fraction's Defenders is actually all about that in the end. There's hope for the Doctor of Strange.

Maybe. But maybe not considering the entire story is set in a timeline where they fail and the planet ceases to exist

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Guardians' biggest problem is that it has no idea what the gently caress to do with Gamora but despite that i still enjoyed it for the most part.

I dunno, I think they did know what to do with her, she's the damsel in distress. Though I wonder what the reaction would have been if they didn't cut a lot since apparently she had a chunk of scenes which were just more Peter/Gamora ~relationship building~.

Also unreleated there's an Ant Man teaser of people walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3G70LvM0IQ

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

Gross. I have some memories of Strange from my childhood that don't match this portrayal at all. I would have hoped Strange would be a more enlightened dude, what with existing beyond the boundaries of base human shittiness.

Allred's miniseries about Dead Girl revealed that Strange does not exist beyond the boundaries of base human shittiness. In a very literal way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

I dunno, I think they did know what to do with her, she's the damsel in distress. Though I wonder what the reaction would have been if they didn't cut a lot since apparently she had a chunk of scenes which were just more Peter/Gamora ~relationship building~.

Also unreleated there's an Ant Man teaser of people walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3G70LvM0IQ

Don't forget, this was a teaser that had its own teaser, for a TV-premiered trailer that will probably end up being a glorified commercial for the real theatrical trailer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Don't forget, this was a teaser that had its own teaser, for a TV-premiered trailer that will probably end up being a glorified commercial for the real theatrical trailer.

Was that trailer teaser teaser teaser the 'ant sized' clip that was too small to make out? Or am I thinking of a trailer teaser teaser co-teaser?

YAY HOLLYWOOD ADVERTISING!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Was that trailer teaser teaser teaser the 'ant sized' clip that was too small to make out? Or am I thinking of a trailer teaser teaser co-teaser?

YAY HOLLYWOOD ADVERTISING!

Can you blame them? People eat that stuff up, and it creates free buzz for...nothing.

The only advertising thing I've never gotten is the "here's 7 minutes of the completed film" thing, because I do not understand who wants to watch a tiny chunk of a movie months before they see the rest.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Might as well just take it to the limit and live-stream the entire production process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

theflyingorc posted:

Can you blame them? People eat that stuff up, and it creates free buzz for...nothing.

This really is the true legacy of the Marvel movies. An entire industry has sprung up around promoting your content and you don't even to pay them! This is, I think, the real gold they have struck with pandering to an existing fandom. As audience, they may be neglectable, but thanks to the Internet, they are marketing gold.

• Locked thread