Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
- it's high church
- we're talking 18-35
- I'm looking at re-engaging those who may have fallen away in college and are interested in faith exploration. Too much of what was intended to be young adult programming has ended up being young family programming, and I often see single 20-30somethings show up once, get alienated by the social conversation turning to kidchat, and never come back.

Basically I want something constructive for those without families in the 20-30 range who've fallen away but still want to seek faith and fellowship to re-engage with the church.

We've done pub quiz, but the assoc rector who always supervises always gets really paranoid about alienating young families and does strange stuff like scheduling at weird times or coupling it with family movies, nothing a 25 year old wants to do on Saturday.

My ideal thing would be like a weekly Compline aimed at those ages, with open discussion.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

In our church, we set up hosting dinners at the various people's houses. That or we meet at a local pub to just discuss anything under the sun. Usually our priest facilitates religious discussion by bringing up topics but sometimes we just kinda vent about life. It's very low key. My husband and I have really made a lot of church friends that way.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
I have another question for you guys that I've never really knew how to search for and it keeps me up at night.

My wife and I are looking to join the Church. She was baptized Armenian Orthodox at a young age and her family never practiced. She was in CCD as a child, but never made it to receive first communion. I was raised "Protestant" but was never a member of a church and was never baptized. We married in a Presbyterian Church with Trinitarian blessings and all that. Are we married?

I'm terrified I'm putting my wife in a state of mortal sin just by existing at this point. The first Priest I talked to tried to liken it to co-habitation, and basically told my wife to *wink wink nudge nudge* "just confess it and you're good." He didn't really speak English very well though and I'm not sure he understood all of the nuances in everything I was describing, but it didn't sit right with me so we stopped trying to convert. Our Parish then got another Priest and we talked to him and he said that yes we were married, but then I got freaked by the whole "gotta have kids" thing and we stopped trying to convert because I'm scared she might have health problems in a pregnancy and we can't abort and then I have a dead wife and kid. I believe the day I decided not to go back I told my wife "never again. They are trying to KILL YOU!"

This entire process has been simultaneously terrifying and relieving and all sorts of a roller coaster of emotions. I've had to reassess everything that I've ever thought and rearrange the priorities of everything I've ever thought was important because I finally figured out that my life as I was living it was something I found to be very unfulfilling. But at the same time I continually find myself paralyzed by fear of "what could happen" and end up stepping out until I can finally tell myself to calm down and keep going.

I want to be a part of this. I feel that it is right and that I've finally found the God I've been searching for for 20+ years. And then when I reach that feeling, a wave of terror overcomes me of what it means and I run away. I don't want to run away again. But I also don't want to be putting my wife in mortal sin or danger or having kids I can't afford or a million other reasons people come up with not to follow Church teachings. Except I want to follow them, because I want God more than anything else.

Boy that sure is a lot of words to say "this faith thing sure is a lot harder than saying a sinner's prayer and going back on with my life." Sorry about that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Needs More Ditka posted:

My wife and I are looking to join the Church. She was baptized Armenian Orthodox at a young age and her family never practiced. She was in CCD as a child, but never made it to receive first communion. I was raised "Protestant" but was never a member of a church and was never baptized. We married in a Presbyterian Church with Trinitarian blessings and all that. Are we married?
In the first place, there's different Catholic definitions of "married." You'd be married from the Catholic point of view no matter what religion you were, you would have what they call a "natural marriage." Since you were both Christian but not Catholic at the time and had a Christian ceremony, even though it isn't a Catholic ceremony you all had a sacramental marriage and you''re fine.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

HEY GAL posted:

In the first place, there's different Catholic definitions of "married." You'd be married from the Catholic point of view no matter what religion you were, you would have what they call a "natural marriage." Since you were both Christian but not Catholic at the time and had a Christian ceremony, even though it isn't a Catholic ceremony you all had a sacramental marriage and you''re fine.

I understand that. The confusion I'm having is the bottom part

quote:

If one participant is a Catholic who has not left the Church by a formal act, such as by officially joining another church, he must obtain a dispensation for the marriage, which would otherwise be blocked by the mixed-marriage impediment or by the disparity of cult impediment. A Catholic who has not left the Church by a formal act also must obtain a dispensation to be married in front of a non-Catholic minister. If either of these dispensations is not obtained, the marriage will be invalid.

because she was baptized in a litugically recognized church and spent time in a Catholic church after that but never confirmed, while I was never baptized or a member of a church so technically I'm a litugical hell-based heathen.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Needs More Ditka posted:

because she was baptized in a litugically recognized church and spent time in a Catholic church after that but never confirmed, while I was never baptized or a member of a church so technically I'm a litugical hell-based heathen.
She was baptized Armenian Orthodox, right? Did she ever formally convert to Catholicism? That isn't Catholic.

However, I'm not sure what happens if you were raised Protestant but not baptized Protestant.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

She was baptized Armenian Orthodox, right? Did she ever formally convert to Catholicism? That isn't Catholic.

Armenian Orthodox, yes. I thought for some reason that they were close enough to consider each other "brothers" in terms of "your sacraments are cool with us." I also ended up with a lot of scruples because when I started this process two years ago because I was accidentally exposed to a lot of SSPX bullshit because I didn't know any better. Thank you for your patience and kindness to a man with an incredibly unhealthy fear of everything.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Needs More Ditka posted:

Armenian Orthodox, yes. I thought for some reason that they were close enough to consider each other "brothers" in terms of "your sacraments are cool with us." I also ended up with a lot of scruples because when I started this process two years ago because I was accidentally exposed to a lot of SSPX bullshit because I didn't know any better. Thank you for your patience and kindness to a man with an incredibly unhealthy fear of everything.
First of all, the Orthodox/es (the Armenians are a different thing from us) are not Catholic, although we can receive one another's sacraments in dire emergency.

Secondly, if you have a tendency toward these niggling little fears, Catholic thought might be reassuring in its exacting specificity but it might also have some tendencies that could be a little unhealthy for you. Please talk to a priest (a calm understanding one, who speaks your native language this time!) instead of searching for stringent definitions of why you're wrong and bad, and chill the gently caress out. God is love, and It wants you to chill the gently caress out.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 3, 2015

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

First of all, the Orthodox/es (the Armenians are a different thing from us) are not Catholic, although we can receive one another's sacraments in dire emergency.

Secondly, if you have a tendency toward these niggling little fears, Catholic thought might be reassuring in its exacting specificity but it might also have some tendencies that could be a little unhealthy for you. Please talk to a priest (a calm understanding one, who speaks your native language this time!) instead of searching for stringent definitions of why you're wrong and bad, and chill the gently caress out. God is love, and It wants you to chill the gently caress out.

You're absolutely right and I am falling right back into that same trap again. I thank you for giving me a little nudge to remember that it is absolutely absurd that I am up at 2 in the morning worrying if I have offended the God-man who hung Himself on a tree after saying "whomever believes in me shall have eternal life" so badly that He'd send my wife to the fiery furnace during a pregnancy that hasn't happened yet because we got married while not knowing anything about Catholics or baptisms or any of this.

He will work it all out Himself on His time, I need to stop trying to work it out before Him, and that's the lesson He's trying to teach me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Needs More Ditka posted:

If one participant is a Catholic who has not left the Church by a formal act, such as by officially joining another church

Hope the thread doesn't mind a question from an interested (raised Catholic, but now non-believing) observer.

Are the requirements for such a "formal act" spelled out anywhere? There was apparently once a form one could fill out to officially leave the Church, but it seems they changed the rules on that a while back to stop the sudden flood of atheists wanting to be counted out. Is joining another church now the only way to have a defection recognized? What if it's a joke church like Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, or the Church I Just Now Established Right Here In My Living Room For The Sole Purpose Of Officially Leaving the Catholic Church?

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 3, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
There's also "notorious heresy, apostasy, or schism," so better get on that

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Powered Descent posted:

Hope the thread doesn't mind a question from an interested (raised Catholic, but now non-believing) observer.

Are the requirements for such a "formal act" spelled out anywhere? There was apparently once a form one could fill out to officially leave the Church, but it seems they changed the rules on that a while back to stop the sudden flood of atheists wanting to be counted out. Is joining another church now the only way to have a defection recognized? What if it's a joke church like Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, or the Church I Just Now Established Right Here In My Living Room For The Sole Purpose Of Officially Leaving the Catholic Church?

That was dropped under Benedict XVI.

Let me try to summarize Catholic teaching. When two non-baptized are married, it is a natural contract and a real marriage. When two baptized are married, even if they are non-catholic, it is a sacrament and a real marriage (even for non-catholics, they give each other the sacrament). For Catholics, they are bound to follow canonical form, which means a priest and two witnesses.

Ditka, every priest you go to is going to want to help you. They aren't waiting with some hammer to shout TOLD YOU SO.

I've forgotten the name of the Italian doctor who was just canonized, she died in childbirth, knowing that she was likely to. I'd look into her life if I were you. Also, not every Catholic family has kids, even if they want them.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I like the adjective there. Heresy is okay, so long as you aren't notorious about it.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I like the adjective there. Heresy is okay, so long as you aren't notorious about it.

It's not that heresy is okay, it's that only notorious heresy counts as a formal act of defection. Otherwise you're just a bad Catholic. :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Worthleast posted:

I've forgotten the name of the Italian doctor who was just canonized, she died in childbirth, knowing that she was likely to. I'd look into her life if I were you. Also, not every Catholic family has kids, even if they want them.

St. Gianna Molla was an Italian pediatrician and mother. During her fourth pregnancy, her doctors found a benign growth (a fibroma) on her uterus that threatened the pregnancy. It would have been legitimate under Catholic law to remove the uterus and have the fetus die as an unintended side effect, but Molla refused; instead she chose surgery to remove the fibroma, an operation that injured the integrity of the uterus. . During the remainder of her pregnancy, she told everybody that if it came down to the baby or her, pick the baby. She died 7 days after the birth.

Sooner her than me.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

- it's high church
- we're talking 18-35
- I'm looking at re-engaging those who may have fallen away in college and are interested in faith exploration. Too much of what was intended to be young adult programming has ended up being young family programming, and I often see single 20-30somethings show up once, get alienated by the social conversation turning to kidchat, and never come back.

Basically I want something constructive for those without families in the 20-30 range who've fallen away but still want to seek faith and fellowship to re-engage with the church.

We've done pub quiz, but the assoc rector who always supervises always gets really paranoid about alienating young families and does strange stuff like scheduling at weird times or coupling it with family movies, nothing a 25 year old wants to do on Saturday.

My ideal thing would be like a weekly Compline aimed at those ages, with open discussion.

There is an Alpha course (College and Careers) designed for that age group that, as I understand it, is meant to address fundamental issues in Christianity and Christian living for people in that age group. It provides for a solid basis for engaging in conversations at whatever level the group feels comfortable with. You could couple it with a compline service at the end of the evening if you wanted to go that route.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Needs More Ditka posted:

I understand that. The confusion I'm having is the bottom part

As an aside, lmao at this. Is there a supplementary marriage form that has to be filled out in triplicate

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Saint Therese of Lisieux posted:

It couldn't even be said of me that I was 'well-behaved enough when I was asleep,,' because I gave more trouble at night than by day. First I would give all my bedclothes leave of absence, and then, still asleep, knock up against the wood of my bedstead; the pain woke me up, and then it was: 'Mamma, I've bumped myself!' Poor Mamma had to get up and verify from the bruises on my forehead, the fact of the bumping; she would put the clothes on and go back to bed, to be told a moment later that I'd bumped myself again. There was nothing for it but to tie me down in bed; so every night, Celine used to come and tie me up in any number of knots, little fidget that I was, to prevent me waking Mamma.

I'm just posting here to share this quote from the lovely autobiography of Saint Therese of Lisieux. A priest who used to be a Discalced Carmelite friar recommended this book to me, and I am very grateful that the childhood memories of The Little Flower have been put to paper in such delightful detail.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

As an aside, lmao at this. Is there a supplementary marriage form that has to be filled out in triplicate
Are you at all familiar with Catholics

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

come on you guys invented the word byzantine :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

come on you guys invented the word byzantine :v:
and you're the ones with fifty careful subdefinitions for it

Edit:
Us: *a cool dude, if we skateboarded we'd totally know how to kickflip* "A certain suppleness in negotiations is always a good thing. Also we invented taking a bath."
You: *opens mouth, a syllogism pours out in a chain of if-then statements which flow for three full minutes without pause*

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 5, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
"Disparity of Cult Impediment" is the name of my drone metal band

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

I mean, there's forms if you don't have any impediments you're aware of. Is there a form for [situation you just made up]? Probably.

I mean, we're the ones who have rules for every possible situation. Spider falls into consecrated chalice? There's a correct way to handle that. Consecrated host mysteriously red? There's a prescribed way to handle that too. There's even rules about what part of the body baptismal water has to touch to count!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

zonohedron posted:

Spider falls into consecrated chalice? There's a correct way to handle that.

As an altar server (an Episcopalian one, but still), I'm curious about this. I imagine there's a little plate with a slotted spoon to use? I also imagine one must dispose of the spider a certain way?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I remember a story my priest told me about something that happened in Russia. They had the host in the chalice and the priest was ready to serve. He went down the stairs from the Royal Doors and tripped. The contents of the chalice went everywhere. When you drop the contents of the chalice, you have to burn it. Since this was Russia, the floors were concrete. So, the priest takes out his matchbook (once again, this is Russia, everyone's a smoker) and just drops it on the spilt wine and bread, walks back in the doors and restarts the liturgy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

I remember a story my priest told me about something that happened in Russia. They had the host in the chalice and the priest was ready to serve. He went down the stairs from the Royal Doors and tripped. The contents of the chalice went everywhere. When you drop the contents of the chalice, you have to burn it. Since this was Russia, the floors were concrete. So, the priest takes out his matchbook (once again, this is Russia, everyone's a smoker) and just drops it on the spilt wine and bread, walks back in the doors and restarts the liturgy

He might have panicked. I've heard a similar story that had a priest remove a bunch of marble tiles from the floor to properly dispose of them because Blood went through the carpet.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

PurpleButterfly posted:

As an altar server (an Episcopalian one, but still), I'm curious about this. I imagine there's a little plate with a slotted spoon to use? I also imagine one must dispose of the spider a certain way?

You can a) consume the wine and also the spider b) stick the spider with a pin and incinerate it, if a) is giving you the heebie-jeebies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zonohedron posted:

You can a) consume the wine and also the spider b) stick the spider with a pin and incinerate it, if a) is giving you the heebie-jeebies.

Is it acceptable to: c) crucify the spider on a little wooden asterisk?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Powered Descent posted:

Is it acceptable to: c) crucify the spider on a little wooden asterisk?

Fake answer: Only if you scourge it first.

I'm going to hell. :doh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Христос се роди!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

That's got to be apocryphal, I don't think wine has enough alcohol in it for you to flame it off, unless first heated enough to make the alcohol vaporize. Mavrodafni is high alcohol, but even that's around 15%.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It was Russian wine, aka vodka.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

zonohedron posted:

Consecrated host mysteriously red?

I'm actually curious about this one. What do you do if the host turns red?

Any other ridiculously specific regulations concerning the Eucharist?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm actually curious about this one. What do you do if the host turns red?

Any other ridiculously specific regulations concerning the Eucharist?

Put it in a glass of water and see what happens to it. If it dissolves, or if it reveals that it's red because of mold, dispose of it. If it mysteriously stays intact, or appears to be meat instead of bread, or something like that, call the bishop and make it his problem. :catholic:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Also if a Eucharistic Miracle happens (ie Lanciano), the priest must not consume it, but reconsecrate a new host/chalice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Worthleast posted:

Also if a Eucharistic Miracle happens (ie Lanciano), the priest must not consume it, but reconsecrate a new host/chalice.

Y'all liturgicals are weird.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
When I was in eccumenical christian middle/high school an orthodox kid in my class came in one monday to tell the story of how the priest dropped the host and the kid picked it up off of the floor without missing a beat and ate it straight away. The teachers were very impressed and I think he told the story 5 times that day.

I had been to mass a few times and understood the theology of the eucharist but that caught me way off guard from a 14 y.o

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Христос се роди!

*ahem* Christus natus est.

If this calendar is good enough for all three Roman Empires, it's good enough for me.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 7, 2015

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Arnold of Soissons posted:

When I was in eccumenical christian middle/high school an orthodox kid in my class came in one monday to tell the story of how the priest dropped the host and the kid picked it up off of the floor without missing a beat and ate it straight away. The teachers were very impressed and I think he told the story 5 times that day.

I had been to mass a few times and understood the theology of the eucharist but that caught me way off guard from a 14 y.o

We're taught from a very young age how important that is. It's not just from verbal communication, but from things like the fact that even with blessed bread (not the body but the stuff that gets eaten afterward) we suck up all the crumbs out of our palms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Y'all liturgicals are weird.

To be fair if the piece of bread you were just holding suddenly became raw human heart tissue would you want to have to consume it? While looking like you weren't a) terrified or b) about to throw up? :v:

• Locked thread