Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So it turns out that the Tory poster launched yesterday is actually a photoshop… of a road in Weimar, Germany.

And Kippers are tweeting the person who discovered it and commenting that they want to end the Tories' Weimar Republic.

:hitler:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

So what's a best case scenario from the election this year (apart from things like, say, The Rapture happening on the same day)?

No Tories.
No Labour.
No LibDems.
No UKIP.

...Monster Raving Loony Party revival?

Realistically?Lib Dems wiped out and fractured, the old SDP political machine and local networks defect to/ally with the Greens and the Orange Bookers off to the Tories. The Tories will be torn apart by the tension between them and the UKIP wing and there might be a vaguely-electable spoiler party to the left of Labour, which might finally move the Overton Window back to the left a bit.

Lol who am I kidding, there'll just be a different colour of Tory in power and everything will get worse.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Realistically?Lib Dems wiped out and fractured, the old SDP political machine and local networks defect to/ally with the Greens and the Orange Bookers off to the Tories.

You, uh, do know that the SDP half of the Lib Dems are now Orange Bookers, right?

And that the SDP political machine was an abject failure when it came to winning elections, right?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oberleutnant posted:

that's what people say about the queen you bourgie sympathiser.

I'm not compelled to eat an entire packet of the queen if she's around

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

TinTower posted:

So it turns out that the Tory poster launched yesterday is actually a photoshop… of a road in Weimar, Germany.

And Kippers are tweeting the person who discovered it and commenting that they want to end the Tories' Weimar Republic.

:hitler:

How is that at all relevant? Roads are roads, whoever designed the graphic just used a nice source image to fit the client's needs. Seriously how does an ambiguous road's location even matter. :psyduck:

It's like if I make an app icon in the US for a UK client and their users start bitching how it's not british pixels. :psyduck:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 4, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

awesome-express posted:

How is that at all relevant? Roads are roads, whoever designed the graphic just used a nice source image to fit the client's needs. Seriously how does an ambiguous road's location even matter. :psyduck:

Because the Tories were adamant "no, it's a British road, it's totally British, etc".

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

Because the Tories were adamant "no, it's a British road, it's totally British, etc".

Well, that was pretty stupid of them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

You, uh, do know that the SDP half of the Lib Dems are now Orange Bookers, right?

And that the SDP political machine was an abject failure when it came to winning elections, right?
Isn't there still a Liberal Party for liberals who didn't like the SDP merger/Orange Booker influx?

Granted, it's a party with about as much current influence as the small infighting Trot parties, but there is still a Liberal Party right?

(Also didn't someone try to re-form the Whigs recently?)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The 'it's German' jibe is insubstantial, but so is the graphic itself.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

The idea of one of our ministers saying 'it's a British road' over and over again is just hilariously pathetic and kinda scary.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's straight out of The Thick of It.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't there still a Liberal Party for liberals who didn't like the SDP merger/Orange Booker influx?

Granted, it's a party with about as much current influence as the small infighting Trot parties, but there is still a Liberal Party right?

(Also didn't someone try to re-form the Whigs recently?)

There's still an SDP too. They lost a council by-election last month.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The UK has "sovereign citizens" apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RYR-EOHbI

That policeman's face when he realises they are freemen :magical:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

twoot posted:

I love videos like this. People that think they are so up on the law that they can argue there way out of it but just look like idiots.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

twoot posted:

Police or other state violence against people who are not directly threatening to harm others is never justified.

However it is sometimes funny.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is talking through a car window 'state violence' ?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im annoyed that video stopped before they got arrested and charged with quite a few offences.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

Is talking through a car window 'state violence' ?

No but my link pretty obviously is, which is why I clarified about it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

namesake posted:

No but my link pretty obviously is, which is why I clarified about it.

Your link was also funny.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So what is the worse case scenario, the Tories win by a hair, and drags the battered carcass of the Lib Dems with them in a minority government? (I assume Labour wouldn't be short-sighted enough to support a conservative coalition).

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Frankly I'm quite proud, regardless of ACAB sentiment in this thread, that the police seem to hold their tempers as long as they did. Traffic act being an act and so governed by consent... LOL.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Ardennes posted:

So what is the worse case scenario, the Tories win by a hair, and drags the battered carcass of the Lib Dems with them in a minority government? (I assume Labour wouldn't be short-sighted enough to support a conservative coalition).

The nightmare (or amazing) scenario is;

• Tories get the most votes by a reasonable margin, but Labour ends up with the most seats due to boundaries and FPTP. Neither party has enough seats (~290ish) to secure a majority with the remaining rump of Lib Dems.
  • Labour decides a Lib Dem + SNP agreement is too bothersome to consider.
  • Labour forms a minority and hopes to govern issue by issue

• Tories and right-wing press bang the drum about undemocratic, SNP dependent administration
  • If Labour can get through the first votes of confidence somehow (Queen's speech, Budget) then they might survive a couple of few years but;

• Vote of confidence fails
  • 2nd election called, Labour's election budget is empty after already being outspent ~3-1 in May.
  • Tories come back as largest party after UKIP falls apart due to "we told you a vote for UKIP = vote for Labour, look what happened"

Who knows what the gently caress happens after that though.

twoot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 4, 2015

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

twoot posted:

• Tories get the most votes by a reasonable margin, but Labour ends up with the most seats due to boundaries and FPTP. Neither party has enough seats (~290ish) to secure a majority with the remaining rump of Lib Dems.

• Tories and right-wing press bang the drum about undemocratic, SNP dependent administration
  • If Labour can get through the first votes of confidence somehow (Queen's speech, Budget) then they might survive a couple of few years but;

• 2nd election called, Labour's election budget is empty after already being outspent ~3-1 in May.
  • Tories come back as largest party after UKIP falls apart due to "we told you a vote for UKIP = vote for Labour, look what happened"

Well then the tories win and in 5 years theres no state services left, we're in the fifth dip of the recession and the inequality gap makes the Victorians look Scandinavian.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

twoot posted:

Video Description posted:

Unnamed bandidos 'in rerum natura' assert authoritative standing as British Military Personnel 'a voce', under exemption for nuncapative wills to those 'cestui qui vie', on 'average Joe psycho' public servants.
NUNCUPATIVE. — A Nuncupative Will is when a testator, without any writing, doth declare his Will before
a sufficient number of witnesses (Swinburne, 24: 2 Bl. Com. 500: Wms. Exs. 108). Before the Statute of Frauds all kinds of Personalty might be bequeathed by a Nuncupative Will without restriction; but s. 19 of that Act (explained slightly by 4 Anne, c. 16, s. 14) imposed restrictions. Nuncupative Wills were abolished
by Wills Act, 1837, except (as provided by s. 11) as regards a "Soldier, being in Actual Military Service, or any Mariner or Seaman, being at Sea." [Stroud's Judicial].

Does this actually mean anything? :psyduck:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Well most of the authors of the Orange Book were still in short trousers (or at least university) when the merger happened, but Vince Cable, the only one to have been in a party when it happened, was a Liberal and the Orange Book itself is straight up Classical Liberalism rather than Social Democracy, so it's a bit weird to say that.

Also the SDP machine was amazingly effective at getting councilors and MPs elected with basically zero money, and they are the people who still run the local election campaigns, which is why the Lib Dems have any councilors left. It didn't win any general elections, obviously, but zero to 25% of the popular vote in one election cycle is the kind of growth that Farage would give his left bollock for. In fact UKIP is a very good simile here because in a very real way the SDP did to 80s Labour what UKIP are doing to the Tories, dragging them sharply to the right (for good or ill) with a very sharp media-savvy front and a motivated and localist machine.

Of course nowadays an actual social democrat platform would be pretty hard to the left of the current Labour Party and a Green/SDP alliance is a pretty natural fit, as well as addressing some of the image issues of the Greens, not to mention bringing some actual oomph to their national-level messaging (it's always easy to see conspiracy in the relative publicity given to the Greens and UKIP but a massive part of that is simply ust how bad the Greens are at managing the Press).

I'm not saying they'll win an election but a well-run spoiler campaign like UKIP are running (charismatic head tearing into the "Westminster machine", local activists fighting seats on local issues) would put the wind right up Labour, who have been free to shift right over the last two decades because they have felt absolutely secure in getting >250 seats from an election because of the lack of a serious challenge on the Left. It's a pipe dream, obviously, but it's a not-impossible outcome of the next few election cycles and about the only good one.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Ludicro posted:

It means you can safely ignore anything said or written by that person.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

twoot posted:

Granted, you could always have a minority Tory government, that limps along for a while and UKIP picks up enough pieces to become a possible coalition partner the next election. UKIP may gain being outside of government at a time when faith in Westminster may reach a even lower ebb.

Either way it looks like a minority government most likely either way since the Lib-Dems will be too small to be coalition partners and SNP will likely only provide support for Labour on a mercenary basis. In end, I wonder what is going to happen in the long term if UKIP, the Greens and SNP all continue to pick off Labour voters and seats.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster
Nobody will be able to form a government, so we'll have a second election this year and either Boris Johnson or Theresa May will end up becoming Prime minister. :toxx:

Margaret Thatcher fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 4, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

twoot posted:

British Sovereign Citizens seem to be disproportionately angry with TV licencing. There's a loving ton of videos on youtube of these people berating and using the most convoluted logic against TV licence enforcers coming around when the only correct response is "Go away, I'm not letting you into my house"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PttvYKmxpzc

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Ludicro posted:

The video was going around on facebook, that youtube account is just a reposter I think.

Margaret Thatcher posted:

Nobody will be able to form a government, so we'll have a second election this year and either Boris Johnson or Theresa May will end up becoming Prime minister. :toxx:

:frogout: remember when you toxxed about never posting in the EVE Online thread again?

twoot fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 4, 2015

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

twoot posted:

I hope the women went through on her threat to call the police on the police and when they also looked at the two in the car like the idiots they were called more police and it went on forever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ludicro posted:

Nope.

Just some nutters thinking the law works like magic in Harry Potter, and saying specific phrases will render legal representatives unable to take action or whatever. Nonsense, in other words.

The 'Cestui Que Vie' refers to the act that a person can be delcared legally dead if they are missing at sea for a period of seven years, and cannot be located or contacted in some way, for the purposes of redistributing their estate. It's pretty clear to anyone with reading comprehension, but they interpret that as saying that the governement views all English citizens as dead and lost beyond the seas unless they objected within seven years of their birth, after which they would be declared dead without reasonable doubt. The state would then claim all the property of its citizens.

Yeah, they're just reading into poo poo that isn't there.

The funniest part is their belief that their birth certificate is their "legal person" , and that by altering their name that makes them somehow immune to prosecution. So you'll see a lot of John Smith, becoming "JOHN: SMITH", or "John, Of the Family, Smith" or "j0HN - 5M1TH"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Cameron has somehow managed to top the cringeworthiness of his remark about the Queen "purring": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11323967/David-Cameron-President-Obama-calls-me-Bro.html

quote:

David Cameron and Barack Obama are so close that the United States President calls him “Bro,” the Prime Minister has claimed.
Saying that the two leaders are on intimate terms, he added: “The President has said the special relationship is stronger than it has ever been privately and in public and I agree.”

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
How many seats are UKIP realistically going to get, not counting the inevitable handful of Tory defections?

Also, are the Greens likely to hold their Brighton seat? I hear they've not been doing too well there.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pesky Splinter posted:

The funniest part is their belief that their birth certificate is their "legal person" , and that by altering their name that makes them somehow immune to prosecution. So you'll see a lot of John Smith, becoming "JOHN: SMITH", or "John, Of the Family, Smith" or "j0HN - 5M1TH"

Nah the funniest part is how they claim to have a 'berth' certificate signed by a 'dock' which means they are subject only to maritime law or some such nonsense.

Oh and the word 'understand' means 'to stand under', ie: give consent. So when a judge or police officer says "do you understand the charge against you?" You just have to say no and they have to let you go because reasons.

Stupid word play is this one weird trick judges hate!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Answers Me posted:

How many seats are UKIP realistically going to get, not counting the inevitable handful of Tory defections?

Also, are the Greens likely to hold their Brighton seat? I hear they've not been doing too well there.

UKIP will almost certainly hold Clacton and may gain a couple more, all at the Tories' expense. Labour was one point ahead of the Greens in Brighton in June, but the Greens have strengthened nationally since then and I suspect they'll hold the seat. They may also pick up one or two southern seats from the Lib Dems - Bristol West is the most likely candidate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Semprini posted:

It means you can safely ignore anything said or written by that person.

If that's what they wanted to convey they could just have said "Full communism now" and saved us all an awful lot of time.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Answers Me posted:

UKIP are probably going to take Thurrock. They might lose Rochester back to the Tories. Polling for Farage in Thanet doesn't look good. But any of the decrepit shithole constituencies along the coast could realistically swing their way if Thurrock can.

Lord Ashcroft did a constituency poll in Brighton that gives the Greens a lead of 10.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Answers Me posted:

I will be shocked if they get more than 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
e: nvm

• Locked thread