Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

It would be interesting to know how much it weighs.

I'd guess less than 150 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I bought a 1974 Fiat X1/9 that someone jammed in old forklift parts to convert it to electric power, should I post about it here?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DJ Commie posted:

I bought a 1974 Fiat X1/9 that someone jammed in old forklift parts to convert it to electric power, should I post about it here?
"You know what an Italian car needs? More electrics!"

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

InitialDave posted:

"You know what an Italian car needs? More electrics!"

Documentation? Who needs that! Its not the worst conversion I could imagine, but it certainly isn't the best it could be, even when it was done in the 80s.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DJ Commie posted:

The answer is always :justpost:.

It's doubly so when you're talking about a half-assed conversion of an Italian car. Only amazing things can happen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And by amazing we mean an electrical fire.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage posted:

And by amazing we mean an electrical fire.

I said Italian car, didn't I?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DJ Commie posted:

Some coworkers in Wisconsin started a project like this, wonder what happened with that thing. Yes you should post.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ripoff posted:

I'm also currently in Germany and the norm between my social circle is to rent automobiles whenever you make a longer trip, principally to save wear and tear on your own car. :confused: Maybe I'm hanging out with a lot of people that don't have much faith in their cars, but when you consider the low cost of a car rental for a once-a-year trip it's honestly not such a big deal. I don't know your commute, but I'd be willing to guess your fuel savings would offset the cost of the rental regardless and you'd still come out ahead. Personally, I don't see renting as a problem, as you're on the bleeding edge of a new technology and there's a logical excuse as to why there aren't supercharging stations up there. If it was 2075, the world has converted to 95% electric and you paid six figures (probably 7 at that time) for a car that can't make the trip, sure. I can see the shame factor. However, it's still a new technology, and goddamnit, you're driving an electric car. How cool is that?

If you buy the car in Germany please take me for a ride thanks in advance

Since I posted I ended up moving back to Canada, and did get talked into taking a model S out for a test drive. It's awesome, and I could definitely make it work for my family. The sales person even solved my long road trip problem, since I forgot I could take a ferry up to that region, and that would put it into driving range.

I do want an electric car but right now I'm going to be a little more conservative with my big ticket purchases, which is why I ended up with a diesel wagon.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interesting news from Elon Musk:

quote:

Roadster upgrade will enable non-stop travel from LA to SF -- almost 400 mile range. Details tmrw. Merry Christmas!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/548257415536594944

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It will be pre-programmed with the route. You just get in the car and hit the button. Six to ten hours later you are there.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Regardless, you are going to have to get over the feelings. We're 3-5 years out from widespread semi-autonomous vehicles. Humans are being phased out of the equation. Within a 20 years, the only time you'll be taking control is on side roads or weather so bad as to disable the sensors.

The way around the liability for the car manufacturers is to simply build into the systems ways to ensure the driver is interacting with the car (such as sensing hands are on the wheel.)

It looks like Tesla went ahead and released the autopilot system ahead of schedule, making it a standard feature of every Model S produced thereafter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0vdNNzwxk

There's been no mention of them making drivers keep their hands on the wheel like Mercedes and Acura.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here are the details. I thought they were releasing an "upgrade" in the traditional sense - i.e. a new car which you can "upgrade to" if you sell your own Roadster. But it's actually a paid-for upgrade, like an expansion pack to a computer game.

quote:

The Roadster 3.0 package applies what we've learned in Model S to Roadster. No new Model S battery pack or major range upgrade is expected in the near term.

Battery technology has continued a steady improvement in recent years, as has our experience in optimizing total vehicle efficiency through Model S development. We have long been excited to apply our learning back to our first vehicle, and are thrilled to do just that with the prototype Roadster 3.0 package. It consists of three main improvement areas.

1. Batteries
The original Roadster battery was the very first lithium ion battery put into production in any vehicle. It was state of the art in 2008, but cell technology has improved substantially since then. We have identified a new cell that has 31% more energy than the original Roadster cell. Using this new cell we have created a battery pack that delivers roughly 70kWh in the same package as the original battery.

2. Aerodynamics
The original Roadster had a drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.36. Using modern computational methods we expect to make a 15% improvement, dropping the total Cd down to 0.31 with a retrofit aero kit.

3. Rolling Resistance
The original Roadster tires have a rolling resistance coefficient (Crr) of 11.0 kg/ton. New tires that we will use on the Roadster 3.0 have a Crr of roughly 8.9 kg/ton, about a 20% improvement. We are also making improvements in the wheel bearings and residual brake drag that further reduce overall rolling resistance of the car.

Summary
Combining all of these improvements we can achieve a predicted 40-50% improvement on range between the original Roadster and Roadster 3.0. There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles. We will be demonstrating this in the real world during a non-stop drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the early weeks of 2015.

Appointments for upgrading Roadsters will be taken this spring once the new battery pack finishes safety validation. We are confident that this will not be the last update the Roadster will receive in the many years to come.

Happy Holidays.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/roadster-30

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 27, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Here are the details. I thought they were releasing an "upgrade" in the traditional sense - i.e. a new car which you can "upgrade to" if you sell you own Roadster. But it's actually a paid-for upgrade, like an expansion pack to a computer game.

The Roadster 3.0 package applies what we've learned in Model S to Roadster. No new Model S battery pack or major range upgrade is expected in the near term.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/roadster-30

That's really cool. I love how Tesla is changing the entire (sorry for the buzzword) paradigm of car ownership. An upgrade package is such a familiar and normal thing, when you think that it has never applied to cars it just seems so strange.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Yeah, I'm really not tempted unless it included supercharging support. All the upgrade would give me is the ability for slightly longer day trips, but if you want to take a multi-day trip you're still stuck with terrible charging infrastructure and looong charge times.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Are the falling gas prices affecting EV sales at all? Quite a few plug-in hybrids seem to be significantly discounted.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It probably takes a little while for that effect to settle. In Norway, where EV conditions are ideal, at least financially, it's been an good year. Some stats from 2014:

142 151 new cars sold all in all

18 094 (12.7% market share) zero emission vehicles

4 970 VWs - eGolf and eUp
4 857 Nissans - mostly Leafs (Leaves?), not sure if the other platform offshoots (leaf joke there) are on sale yet
4041 Teslas, I assume all Model S
4 hydrogen cars

Between 2.8% and 3.5% market share for the major players, the rest is Zoes, i-MIEVs etc. Not bad.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Linedance posted:

That's really cool. I love how Tesla is changing the entire (sorry for the buzzword) paradigm of car ownership. An upgrade package is such a familiar and normal thing, when you think that it has never applied to cars it just seems so strange.

That's because most people need their cars on a regular, usually daily basis, whereas the Tesla Roadster is usually a toy which you won't miss if you have to send it out for a few weeks / months. Aftermarket tuners and dealer-installed upgrade kits have been a thing for a long time for that sort of car too.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I think we're also reaching a stage where automakers are trying new things to induce brand loyalty. I'm curious to see if Nissan or anybody else does something similar when better battery chemistries enter production. Will they put a bigger (more KWh) battery packs in for replacements, or will they drop the cell count and add ballast (keeping the car's mass the same) to keep costs down? Will a choice be offered?

If a choice or substantially better pack were offered, you can bet I would be a lot more loyal (if nobody else did it). I'd much rather have a car that gets better as it ages!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Advent Horizon posted:

I think we're also reaching a stage where automakers are trying new things to induce brand loyalty. I'm curious to see if Nissan or anybody else does something similar when better battery chemistries enter production. Will they put a bigger (more KWh) battery packs in for replacements, or will they drop the cell count and add ballast (keeping the car's mass the same) to keep costs down? Will a choice be offered?

If a choice or substantially better pack were offered, you can bet I would be a lot more loyal (if nobody else did it). I'd much rather have a car that gets better as it ages!

For replacing the original battery, I imagine they'd just keep manufacturing the original battery even if better ones are available; they don't install more powerful/economical variants of engines for warranty replacements, it's a similar thing. Plus with the additional complexity of monitoring and controlling charge levels, it's probably a bit more complicated than just updating the chemistry, depending on the car it could range from flashing the PCM to completely changing it, so it may not even be feasible.

If it is, though, I can easily see them offering it as an optional for-profit, dealer-installed upgrade a la Ford Racing parts on the Mustangs.

Most of that effort will go into increasing the range of the new cars they'd much rather you buy, rather than improving already-sold units.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

That's because most people need their cars on a regular, usually daily basis, whereas the Tesla Roadster is usually a toy which you won't miss if you have to send it out for a few weeks / months. Aftermarket tuners and dealer-installed upgrade kits have been a thing for a long time for that sort of car too.

Yeah but (aftermarket aside, since that's generally going to be 3rd party) that's point-of-sale stuff. The equivalent would be Ford coming out and saying "hey 2009 mustang owners, we've got this new ecoboost engine that is better in every way than what came with your car, if you like you can bring it in and we'll fit it for a few thousand bucks". And then it's up to the owner, who might decide that they're happy with what they've got, or might use the opportunity to get a fresh new engine instead of a whole new car. Ford would much rather you trade in your old mustang and finance a whole brand new one.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Linedance posted:

Yeah but (aftermarket aside, since that's generally going to be 3rd party) that's point-of-sale stuff. The equivalent would be Ford coming out and saying "hey 2009 mustang owners, we've got this new ecoboost engine that is better in every way than what came with your car, if you like you can bring it in and we'll fit it for a few thousand bucks". And then it's up to the owner, who might decide that they're happy with what they've got, or might use the opportunity to get a fresh new engine instead of a whole new car. Ford would much rather you trade in your old mustang and finance a whole brand new one.

No, there's stuff like TRD, Ford Racing, or Mopar upgrade kits that aren't just point of sale and still have warranties.

Anything more complicated usually isn't done because the labor costs are huge and you'll probably not have your car for a while, same as aftermarket tuners who do the same thing. With the really bad tuners it's pretty mucha roll of the dice since they might take months or more.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

One massive difference - batteries won't require any sort of emissions recertification. They also have a relatively simple interface with the vehicle. Aside from whatever bolts physically mount it, it just has some high voltage / high current power connectors, and some low voltage data connectors. If they integrate the control logic with the battery itself, you could easily update it whenever you update the battery as well (if an update is even needed).

Also, range extension is a super hot issue for an EV owner. Swapping out a 225hp 4.6L for a 400hp 5.0L might be a really nice upgrade for a Mustang performance wise, but when driven at low throttle the car is still going to be pretty much the same. Bumping the real world range on a Leaf from 70 miles to 100 miles is a huge improvement.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
More to the point, most electric cars are designed to allow fast battery swaps anyway. So in labour terms it really is more like a simple bolt-on modification than an engine swap.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The downside is that the battery (if not subsidized) probably makes up at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of an electric car, if not more. Electric cars are different in part because of the greatly simplified mechanics + extremely high cost of batteries. Probably they'll let you trade in your old one too (at similar terms to any other sort of dealer trade-in).

Also it's not necessarily simple to swap batteries, there may be various plumbing or other connections for cooling and the like which can complicate things, and due to their weight you'll often see batteries spread out throughout a significant portion of the car's inner structure.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 4, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, a battery swap is not going to be the sort of thing a DIY could really handle, but at a dealership with trained techs I would expect it to be much easier than, say, an engine and transmission swap.

Really what it will come down to is whether or not a given manufacturer is willing to put out better batteries for old EVs. If they can find a way to make money on it (since it is such a big percentage of the cost of a car) it might make sense after all. Think of it this way. If Nissan sells you a Leaf today, and every three to five years they sell you a massively upgraded battery at 1/3 of the cost of the Leaf, then they've come out way ahead of the scenario where you buy a Leaf today, but buy a Focus Electric in five years because the range on your old Leaf battery sucks now.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Nissan has already stated they

Fucknag posted:

For replacing the original battery, I imagine they'd just keep manufacturing the original battery even if better ones are available; they don't install more powerful/economical variants of engines for warranty replacements, it's a similar thing. Plus with the additional complexity of monitoring and controlling charge levels, it's probably a bit more complicated than just updating the chemistry, depending on the car it could range from flashing the PCM to completely changing it, so it may not even be feasible.

If it is, though, I can easily see them offering it as an optional for-profit, dealer-installed upgrade a la Ford Racing parts on the Mustangs.

Nissan has already stated that they have zero plans to keep old battery chemistries in production. They will assemble all new packs using whatever chemistry is currently in production. My question was more about whether they would install a more powerful battery into the same space or an original-manufacture-KWh pack into a smaller space (which may require more engineering work for various packaging and weight distribution reasons).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd wager that they go higher total capacity. Going with lower cell counts or smaller cells just to keep the whole pack capacity the same could reduce the amount of current available for peak loads.

The other alternative is they use newer cells with more total capacity, but start artificially limiting the max and min charge states to give the same effective range. It wouldn't improve the day to day, but it would increase the effective lifespan of the pack considerably. It's what the Volt does, and is part of why most of them have seen little to no reduction in usable EV range even after a few years.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

The other alternative is they use newer cells with more total capacity, but start artificially limiting the max and min charge states to give the same effective range. It wouldn't improve the day to day, but it would increase the effective lifespan of the pack considerably. It's what the Volt does, and is part of why most of them have seen little to no reduction in usable EV range even after a few years.
The new EV's don't already do this? Volt is the only one?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

I'm pretty sure all the modern EVs and hybrids. Consumer Reports tested a 200,000 mile, nine-year-old Prius with its original battery and found that the battery wear was mostly insignificant: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/02/the-200-000-mile-question-how-does-the-toyota-prius-hold-up/index.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CsEEk30q4

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Not nearly to the extent of the Volt, no. The Leaf uses drat near all of its possible electric capacity out of the gate, and there's a very noticeable reduction in range in as short as one to two years in hot climates.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm pretty sure all the modern EVs and hybrids. Consumer Reports tested a 200,000 mile, nine-year-old Prius with its original battery and found that the battery wear was mostly insignificant

Like the Volt, it's a hybrid. Thus, it does not depend on the HV battery for all of its range, so it would make sense that Toyota would program it very conservatively. The benefit of a Prius is that it has battery available to assist, but it never needs to use much energy from the battery at any one point in time. Thus, the benefit of fully charging (then discharging) the battery would be minimal - look at how little the plug-in Prius gains over the regular one.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Advent Horizon posted:

Nissan has already stated they

Nissan has already stated that they have zero plans to keep old battery chemistries in production. They will assemble all new packs using whatever chemistry is currently in production. My question was more about whether they would install a more powerful battery into the same space or an original-manufacture-KWh pack into a smaller space (which may require more engineering work for various packaging and weight distribution reasons).

I'm sure they'll manage it but this sounds like a nightmare from a testing standpoint once you start having mulitple versions/model years since you'd have to make sure there's no, say, weird cooling or even driving dynamics/crash safety issues with every iteration of battery pack / firmware. You start running into the PC scenario where the number of different hardware variations increases exponentially and you feel obligated to maintain backwards compatibility and support for older stuff.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not nearly to the extent of the Volt, no. The Leaf uses drat near all of its possible electric capacity out of the gate, and there's a very noticeable reduction in range in as short as one to two years in hot climates.
I see. Sacrificing battery life for extended range in the very short term.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

angryrobots posted:

I see. Sacrificing battery life for extended range in the very short term.

It is more like sacrificing battery life by not installing active cooling in order to meet a low price point and still sell them nationwide. Cars in temperate climates see much much less derogation. I have lost maybe 5 miles of range after 2 years of ownership in nut freezing Indianapolis. I have not lost any bars but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I would not count on replacement batteries being available ever though since so few are sold. I would be funny though if tesla started selling them assuming they ever finish building the giant battery factory.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

I'm sure they'll manage it but this sounds like a nightmare from a testing standpoint once you start having mulitple versions/model years since you'd have to make sure there's no, say, weird cooling or even driving dynamics/crash safety issues with every iteration of battery pack / firmware. You start running into the PC scenario where the number of different hardware variations increases exponentially and you feel obligated to maintain backwards compatibility and support for older stuff.

This is also why the releasing of Tesla's patents could possibly end up being a boon, as there can be standard battery pack interfaces and cooling mechanisms, so that the car's system isn't dealing with the batteries on such a low level to the degree they are now. That's not to say it's terribly likely, however, as forced obsolescence and proprietary lockdowns are in the best interest of car manufacturers, so sadly all we'll probably get out of it is standardized fast charging ports as having standard EV charging infrastructure is important to selling more EVs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

How bad is the range hit people are seeing? I've been thinking about a Leaf and live in Tennessee. Haven't even test driven one at this point but my Dad and I were talking about them over the holiday break and he got me to start pricing them out and seeing how it would work for my commute.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

NitroSpazzz posted:

How bad is the range hit people are seeing? I've been thinking about a Leaf and live in Tennessee. Haven't even test driven one at this point but my Dad and I were talking about them over the holiday break and he got me to start pricing them out and seeing how it would work for my commute.

I live in south Texas so the Leaf spends much of the year in 100+ degree heat. I lost one bar after two years and seem to be losing 5-10 miles per year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

duz posted:

I live in south Texas so the Leaf spends much of the year in 100+ degree heat. I lost one bar after two years and seem to be losing 5-10 miles per year.

I think some drivers in AZ are seeing worse than that. At any rate, since my commute is within 10mi of the realistic highway range when new round-trip (without even factoring in HVAC) and they won't let me plug in at work (I tried), the Leaf is an ever so tantalizing option that just isn't quite there for me.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Elephanthead posted:

It is more like sacrificing battery life by not installing active cooling in order to meet a low price point and still sell them nationwide.

This is part of why I choose the Volt over the Leaf, true the range is half but i rarely use it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

It should be noted that the current-production battery chemistry is supposed to be much better in hot weather. I have no experience with either the new battery or hot weather but I don't notice any degradation after 15 months and 20,000 miles. That's not to say it hasn't, just that I can't tell the difference.

I did notice a range hit when the Blizzaks went on, though. At least 5-10%.

• Locked thread