Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Have you ever played a PSX game?

Yeah they looked really good compared to Minecraft which looks really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah they looked really good compared to Minecraft which looks really bad.

You're also the dude that said PS2 didn't have ten good games on it, so lol

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mine craft:

PSX:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Minecraft looks completely fine

PSX games looked like garbage

PS2 had good games but wasn't as good at the GameCube

Shantae has really nice pixel graphics, looks like an old game and not some cheap indie

Should I try to get into Pikmin 3 again? I dunno what it was about it but I kinda hit it like a brick wall when I initially bought it. You cuties have been perfect with suggestions so why not ask now.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

O NO U DINT

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Please do not disrespect the graphics of the Playstation 1.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

majormonotone posted:

While both true statements, it's ridiculously popular. You can buy Minecraft books and toys and Legos and all sorts of poo poo and the game looks like someone threw up a PSX

I know, my kids won't shut the gently caress up about it. There's something about it that appeals to children under 10 and autistic people.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Should I try to get into Pikmin 3 again? I dunno what it was about it but I kinda hit it like a brick wall when I initially bought it. You cuties have been perfect with suggestions so why not ask now.

I really liked Pikmin 3 but if it failed to impress you when you first tried to play it, you probably wouldn't like it if you tried again later. Try finding the Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 combo sets for the Wii if you don't have them, though. Pikmin 2 is the best in the series, in my opinion.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kilometers Davis posted:

The first couple areas in Pikmin 3 are fairly boring imo until you have all of the captains, and to a lesser extent all of the pikmin colors. I was just kind of going through the motions until I had everything, and then for whatever reason really enjoyed the game a great deal more and blitzed through it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

It took me a little while to get into Pikmin 3 as well, but once I did it just clicked and I really enjoyed myself. I do think it gets really good when you get all the types of Pikmin.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Godinster posted:

Peach is easily the best character in Mario 3D world for dress float. Cat hover is an added bonus.
Also when you pick Peach for a Bowser stage, she says "It's about time!" so yeah Peach is cool.

Going from Peach to playing literally anyone else is weird because suddenly you're going at like Mach 3. I forgot she was the absolute slowest character.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Moltrey posted:

Also when you pick Peach for a Bowser stage, she says "It's about time!" so yeah Peach is cool.

Going from Peach to playing literally anyone else is weird because suddenly you're going at like Mach 3. I forgot she was the absolute slowest character.

Likewise try playing as Toad for a few stages then go to Rosalina who's even slower than Peach and just cry for a bit.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah I can't imagine why this indie game doesn't look as good as four of these higher budget video games

Is WayForward really considered "indie"?
A company that's made a semi-noticible impact in the business for 3 decades and regularly does games for WB, Disney, and Cartoon Network doesn't exactly sound like an indie dev.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRst6zwkDts

happy new year.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They're not huge, but they've made a very comfortable and long-lasting niche cranking out shovelware of major licenses to fund their cartoon tity passion projects.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Likewise try playing as Toad for a few stages then go to Rosalina who's even slower than Peach and just cry for a bit.

God, is Rosalina slower than Peach?

drat.....

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I suppose so.
Also, you better not have just referred to their Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck game as shovelware.
Them's fightan' words, my friend.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It depends on what stopped you. Pikmin is a wonderful series (mostly), but the game hits a certain niche that, from what I've seen, doesn't really appeal to that many people. I think that, if you're willing to get into the swing of things with multitasking, you'll find it to be a surprisingly fast-paced experience, but if that doesn't click for you, then there may not be much enjoyment for you beyond what you've played.

Theta Zero posted:

I really liked Pikmin 3 but if it failed to impress you when you first tried to play it, you probably wouldn't like it if you tried again later. Try finding the Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 combo sets for the Wii if you don't have them, though. Pikmin 2 is the best in the series, in my opinion.
I would not even try to get into 2 if you can't get into 3. If 3 made you stop playing out of boredom, 2 will suck the life out of you with boredom. There's nothing that's really inherently better about the first game, either, and it's comparably lacking in polish to 3, making it a chore to play at times, despite being an overall easier game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

2 is great if you enjoy the series because there's a lot of content in it meaning lots of playtime, but you can argue it's definite padding after accomplishing your initial goal.

It struck a great chord with me, so much so that while I did have a lot of fun with 3, I was a bit disappointed there wasn't more to do in it, like there was with 2. Titan Dweevil was a very stressful final final boss.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regardless of opinions of the three games' relative qualities (2 is obviously the best) 3 is the best one to introduce you to the series. If you don't like it I don't see how the other two would change your mind, unless you're one of those weirdos who only likes 1's relatively tight time limit.

So definitely try 3 again. Did you get to any bosses? The bosses are sick.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SilverSupernova posted:

Is WayForward really considered "indie"?
A company that's made a semi-noticible impact in the business for 3 decades and regularly does games for WB, Disney, and Cartoon Network doesn't exactly sound like an indie dev.

Wayforward is not "technically" an indie company but the name basically refers to anything that isn't big-budget AAA stuff. You could get into the semantics about how different Wayforward and Yacht Club Games are but absolutely no one gives a flying gently caress.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

On Pikmin 3: I was just overwhelmed with the multitasking and pace of the game I think. I absolutely love the "playing in the garden" theme of the game and if it had similarly relaxed gameplay I would have been all about it. I guess I wanted less objectives and more free time to wander around doing whatever I want. No big deal though, I'll pop it in sometime this week and try to click with it. It's a very charming series.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

FPzero posted:

you can argue it's definite padding after accomplishing your initial goal.
It's padding before you accomplish your initial goal. Even prior to that point, there's a good chance that you'll encounter pieces of terrain you've already seen before, and the cheap randomization ensures that you'll almost never see an interesting enemy arrangement that actually requires some form of thought, with a few exceptions. Pikmin 2's call to fame is it's difficult and catch-all "content" and "charm," but it's aboveground design falls short of the other two games and just ugh

One day, I'll stop getting mad about Pikmin 2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

On Pikmin 3: I was just overwhelmed with the multitasking and pace of the game I think. I absolutely love the "playing in the garden" theme of the game and if it had similarly relaxed gameplay I would have been all about it. I guess I wanted less objectives and more free time to wander around doing whatever I want. No big deal though, I'll pop it in sometime this week and try to click with it. It's a very charming series.

As long as you collect fruit fairly regularly, you really can just do whatever at your own leisure, and you don't have to multitask too much if you don't want to. There is enough fruit in the game for something like 100 days to go bye so don't worry about running out of time on the larger scale.

That said, multitasking is extremely rewarding and fun once you get the hang of it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
^e:fb

Kilometers Davis posted:

Try making your only objective to collect fruit, do nothing else for an in-game day or two and that will buy you tons of days so you can do whatevs at a slower pace. The game is totally about multitasking to do as many objectives in one day as possible, but I think you can slow it down if you focus on the fruit first so you'll have time to do other stuff at your leisure.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Mine craft:

PSX:

Look man I don't disagree with you for once but using a prerendered CG is just flat out cheating.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah I mean FFVIII looks like dog poo poo outside of the CG cutscenes

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
So ... why are we talking about Final Fantasy VII in this here Wii U thread again? :confused:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

So ... why are we talking about Final Fantasy VII in this here Wii U thread again? :confused:

We're not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Course not. They're talking about FFVIII :v:.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Supercar Gautier posted:

They're not huge, but they've made a very comfortable and long-lasting niche cranking out shovelware of major licenses to fund their cartoon tity passion projects.

You forgot good remakes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Look man I don't disagree with you for once but using a prerendered CG is just flat out cheating.

:thejoke:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

He just made a small error and used a real-time PS2 render. You can really feel the emotion engine working in that screenshot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of 2d platformers, how hard is Shovel Knight? A few reviews claimed it was far too easy, while others said it was as tough as earlier Mega Mans.

I'm not terrible at 2d platformers (particularly mario or sonic style ones), but always felt like Mega Man was a little too tough for me. Don't want to grab Shovel Knight and then realize how terrible I am at it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking of 2d platformers, how hard is Shovel Knight? A few reviews claimed it was far too easy, while others said it was as tough as earlier Mega Mans.

I'm not terrible at 2d platformers (particularly mario or sonic style ones), but always felt like Mega Man was a little too tough for me. Don't want to grab Shovel Knight and then realize how terrible I am at it.

It's hard, but not impossible. You'll die a lot, but you'll get through it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shovel Knight is good just buy it and stop thinking

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'd put it in the same ballpark as something like Ducktales: challenging, but not nearly as tough as Mega Man or Castlevania or whatever, especially once you work out how to abuse all the relics. It's a very accommodating game, you can pretty much just peck away at it until you're done.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
There are also two chalices that you buy and can fill them with "Ichor" for free that completely refills your health and magic. To make a comparison to mega man, you can essentially have 2 free E-tanks for every level, that you really only need for the boss. Some of the end game platforming gets difficult, but not in an unfair way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Shovel Knight is cool. The level design gets a little worse as the game goes on but it's still one of the best retro-styled platformers.

• Locked thread