Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

The bill's proponents are likely going to talk about the veterans having adequate healthcare from their veteran's status, but neglecting to mention how the GOP doesn't give two shits for VA funding or the actual health of the veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Wolfsbane posted:

Up to 5 so far, can we make it all the way to 20?
Hey, there's a reason that I said "Slavery By Another Name" should be a standard part of American History courses, it's because it's a great way to cover Reconstruction-WW2 in a quick way that doesn't gloss over all the horrible poo poo that actually happened in that period. Given the state of American education (as seen in this very thread), it's exactly what we need.:colbert:

On to relevant politics:

PostNouveau posted:

Here's the GOP's initial agenda for the new session:

1. Keystone
2. Tying a bunch of border security stuff to the Homeland Security budget
3. Making veterans not count toward Obamacare's employee counting
I honestly don't care about Keystone anymore (and it's sorta pointless on multiple fronts thanks to plunging gas prices), border stuff is always bullshit to me since my stance is "full amnesty for everyone and open up the borders", and the "Hire More Heroes Act" is bullshit that may unfortunately get passed thanks the Republicans being great at naming bills for the exact opposite effect they will have.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

joeburz posted:

The bill's proponents are likely going to talk about the veterans having adequate healthcare from their veteran's status, but neglecting to mention how the GOP doesn't give two shits for VA funding or the actual health of the veterans.

So the Republicans are going to make it so my status as a veteran will make it easier for an employer to deny me healthcare? What a great plan.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one: we're going to encourage companies to hire more veterans... because those companies can then remain fully staffed... without providing healthcare... to the veterans they just hired. I guess the veterans themselves aren't supposed to mind because they're covered by the VA? Is that a common attitude amongst veterans with options beyond what the military provides? Because at the moment this just sounds like comically inept villainy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gounads posted:

I wonder what it will actually do on the other end. If you have a mythical company that doesn't want to provide insurance, it's a lot easier to chop off 1 hour to get employees down to 39 than it is to chop off 11 to get them to 29.
I work 36/week because I do 3 12hr shifts. That could be a problem.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't really care much about Keystone either, except you know it'll be built shittily by overpaid contractors and eventually turn into a giant ecological disaster.

I don't think people are as easily duped by bills' names as you guys think. Like, every bill has one of those bullshit Save Americans Lives Forever Act names.

Nobody's mad at the GOP for opposing the Affordable Care Act. Why do they hate affordable care so much?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Rangpur posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one: we're going to encourage companies to hire more veterans... because those companies can then remain fully staffed... without providing healthcare... to the veterans they just hired. I guess the veterans themselves aren't supposed to mind because they're covered by the VA? Is that a common attitude amongst veterans with options beyond what the military provides? Because at the moment this just sounds like comically inept villainy.

Most veterans avoid going to the VA if they can help it since it has a somewhat deserved reputation for offering substandard care. You mainly see really old, poor, non-retirees there.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Rangpur posted:

For fun, it also pegs the value of being a veteran equal to the amount of the penalty.

e: double-fun will be when a company offers health insurance to everyone except veterans.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PostNouveau posted:

I don't really care much about Keystone either, except you know it'll be built shittily by overpaid contractors and eventually turn into a giant ecological disaster.

Why do you care that one company is going to get ripped off be another company, exactly? Were you under the impression Keystone XL was a government project?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why do you care that one company is going to get ripped off be another company, exactly? Were you under the impression Keystone XL was a government project?

I don't. It's just a general statement on the incompetence I'd expect from what look to be a giant boondoggle.

But it will create like, 50 permanent jobs or whatever, so full steam ahead!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I just realized that a gallon of gas where I live is under $2.30.

If he were president right now, how :newt: would :newt: be?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PostNouveau posted:

I don't. It's just a general statement on the incompetence I'd expect from what look to be a giant boondoggle.

Seeing as how no other part of the Keystone project has been a "boondoggle" why do you think this one branch of it will? Literally the only thing remarkable about it is that since it has to cross an international border, it got into extra politics.

William Bear posted:

I just realized that a gallon of gas where I live is under $2.30.

If he were president right now, how :newt: would :newt: be?

Over here, it's under $1.90

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

PostNouveau posted:

Did you guys all go to the Magnet School for Whitenoise Posting? Who cares what your school did about AP classes?

Here's the GOP's initial agenda for the new session:

1. Keystone
2. Tying a bunch of border security stuff to the Homeland Security budget
3. Making veterans not count toward Obamacare's employee counting

I'm honestly curious how they're going to spin holding back funding for the department of homeland security. I seem to remember that department having a few more functions than just immigration

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Seeing as how no other part of the Keystone project has been a "boondoggle" why do you think this one branch of it will? Literally the only thing remarkable about it is that since it has to cross an international border, it got into extra politics.

Because we've had other recent pipelines leak the stuff that it'll be transporting, and it's caused billions in cleanup costs and illnesses. This one will be even bigger and run across more important pieces of land. I just don't trust energy firms to give a poo poo that their mistakes on this one could pollute a shitload of important stuff.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Obama's being so dictatorial power grab prevented the GOP from funding the DHS, any and all terrorist incidents that occur due to underfunding are his fault. Further, given Obama knew this to be the case it is highly likely he deliberately caused this to happen so as to aid his Muslim brothers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gounads posted:

If you have a mythical company that doesn't want to provide insurance, it's a lot easier to chop off 1 hour to get employees down to 39 than it is to chop off 11 to get them to 29.

That's the point. Hire a bunch of people, work them 40+ hours, but force them to clock in as 39 so you don't have to give them health insurance.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PostNouveau posted:

Because we've had other recent pipelines leak the stuff that it'll be transporting, and it's caused billions in cleanup costs and illnesses. This one will be even bigger and run across more important pieces of land. I just don't trust energy firms to give a poo poo that their mistakes on this one could pollute a shitload of important stuff.

But none of those leaks have been from the pipelines operated and built by the company building and operating phase 4 of the Keystone project. Their other pripelines in the Keystone network have not had any issues.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nintendo Kid posted:

But none of those leaks have been from the pipelines operated and built by the company building and operating phase 4 of the Keystone project. Their other pripelines in the Keystone network have not had any issues.

How many mile-years have they been running those pipelines? What's the average failure rate of a pipeline per mile-year?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

How many mile-years have they been running those pipelines? What's the average failure rate of a pipeline per mile-year?

Why don't you go look that up? Phase 1's been delivering on its 2200 mile route since 2010 with no issues. Phase 2 and 3's smaller linking routes have also operated just fine since 2011 and 2014.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

That just doesn't allay my fears. It's a project that would have to run perfectly forever, and no one is trustworthy enough for that, especially not an energy services firm.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PostNouveau posted:

That just doesn't allay my fears. It's a project that would have to run perfectly forever, and no one is trustworthy enough for that, especially not an energy services firm.

And you trust the trucks and railroads crossing over the same general areas more because... why exactly? And you're not aware of the pipelines that already cross the aquifer et al?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Haha, man, even in Canada our Conservative government hates veterans, what the hell is wrong with the conservative movement right now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think people are as easily duped by bills' names as you guys think. Like, every bill has one of those bullshit Save Americans Lives Forever Act names.

Nobody's mad at the GOP for opposing the Affordable Care Act. Why do they hate affordable care so much?

I think you mean :supaburn: OBAMACARE!!!! :supaburn: that they relabeled successfully.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Haha, man, even in Canada our Conservative government hates veterans, what the hell is wrong with the conservative movement right now.

1) More money for us
2) gently caress you

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Kafka Esq. posted:

The American conservative movement loves veterans as a political cudgel and a means to procure military-industrial complex dollars, but beyond that they couldn't give two shits.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Rangpur posted:

I think you understand it perfectly.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I was afraid of that.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Rangpur posted:

I was afraid of that.

The biggest loving welfare queens I have ever met in my life are all veterans.
Or ex cops / law enforcement.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Is it even worth building Keystone XL right now? Could the Republicans approve it and then Keystone go '... naaah, don't want it anymore.'

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

Is it even worth building Keystone XL right now? Could the Republicans approve it and then Keystone go '... naaah, don't want it anymore.'

I guess it depends on who pays for it.
You have to realize, a lot of it is already built. All they really need to do is connect it and let the oil flow.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

No matter what the intent, "let's talk less about a genocidal act and more about two broad topics, one of which is entirely about white people and could be talked about in virtually any context and one of which involves covering numerous wars, international diplomacy, trade, etc," ends up being apologia for genocide.

Like imagine I said "talking about the Holocaust detracts from the topic of religious persecution in Europe and German parliamentary politics."

It makes genocide an afterthought, and leaves no room to discuss how the victims actually experienced it.

We talk too much about the Holocaust too and the Trail of Tears, really is an afterthought in the history of America. Sorry if that crimps your big blubbery vagina but its the truth. Dare I say that the presidential/Supreme Court aspect of it had much more effect on this country than the awful conditions on the trail. It effected approximately three states (Georgia, North Carolina and Oklahoma) and there aren't many direct survivors of it. History should be talked as being A) endemic of many similar events which were occurring over a broader period of time and B) in a way that students should be able to use it and apply it to their own situations. Focusing just on what life was like being herded by cavalrymen while your friends and family died is useless wankery.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

joeburz posted:

The American conservative movement loves veterans as a political cudgel and a means to procure military-industrial complex dollars, but beyond that they couldn't give two shits.

Like the environment conservatives feel veterans should be able to take one more for the team.

And one more.
And one more.
And one more.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Warcabbit posted:

OIL CO: "Thanks, Obama!"
Dem filibuster saves oil co millions, CEO pledges unconditional support

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
For something a bit lighter

Wearing your hoodie in public could soon cost you up to a $500 fine

quote:

The cold Oklahoma weather has many sporting hoodies outside to help fight the cold, but wearing a hood in a public place could soon be against the law. The idea of banning hoods is not new to Oklahoma, right now, there is a law banning hoods during crimes that’s been around since the 20’s. It was originally drafted to help combat crimes from the Klu-Klux-Klan, but people we spoke with say a new amendment of banning hoodies in public could open doors to a bigger problem. They’re a common closet find, the hoodie.

“I’ve been wearing hoodies since I was a little kid,” Eduar Carreon, a hoodie user said. Even Kevin Durant is a hoodie fan. “If somebody is out running, especially in this kind of weather, where it`s cold, drizzly, you might be inclined to wear your hoodie at Lake Hefner,” attorney James Siderias said. "21 OS 1301 has always made it a crime to wear a hoodie or some sort of disguise during the commission of criminal offense,” Siderias says.

Now, a proposal for an amendment to that law, could make it illegal to hide your identity in public. The fine for your fashion crime? $500. “I think this is a violation of an individual’s right to chose what they want to wear as long as it doesn’t violate the realm of public decency and moral values, and I think this could be very problematic,” Siderias said. Senator Don Barrington authored the proposed amendment; he says they want to help victims of robberies.

“The intent of Senate Bill 13 is to make businesses and public places safer by ensuring that people cannot conceal their identities for the purpose of crime or harassment….Similar language has been in Oklahoma statutes for decades and numerous other states have similar laws in place. Oklahoma businesses want state leaders to be responsive to their safety concerns, and this is one way we can provide protection.” – said Sen. Don Barrington of Lawton.

“I think the legislature is just trying to make Oklahoma a little bit safer, and in doing so, I think they just over-reached a little bit,” Siderias said.

“They might have personal issues for keeping them on; they might have a bad hair day or maybe they have cancer or they’re losing their hair. You just don’t know why,” Tracy Wehagen said.

“I don’t think that solution will work. I just think that will cause a little more tension within the community. It probably will be a reason for cops to mess with more people wearing hoodies,” A.T. said.

The proposal provides exceptions for religious garments, protection from weather, parades, Halloween celebrations and numerous other circumstances.
http://kfor.com/2015/01/02/wearing-your-hoodie-in-public-could-soon-cost-you-up-to-a-500-fine/

Is it just because I'm in the Bible Belt or are stupid laws more common outside of Oklahoma/Texas?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lightning Jim posted:

For something a bit lighter

Wearing your hoodie in public could soon cost you up to a $500 fine

http://kfor.com/2015/01/02/wearing-your-hoodie-in-public-could-soon-cost-you-up-to-a-500-fine/

Is it just because I'm in the Bible Belt or are stupid laws more common outside of Oklahoma/Texas?

Didn't they try to pass laws like these in the UK years ago?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rangpur posted:

Reminder that if you have a full time job you will be paying for your VA treatment.

Yeah, this is your standard "gently caress em" republican bill

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Cliff Racer posted:

We talk too much about the Holocaust too and the Trail of Tears, really is an afterthought in the history of America. Sorry if that crimps your big blubbery vagina but its the truth. Dare I say that the presidential/Supreme Court aspect of it had much more effect on this country than the awful conditions on the trail. It effected approximately three states (Georgia, North Carolina and Oklahoma) and there aren't many direct survivors of it. History should be talked as being A) endemic of many similar events which were occurring over a broader period of time and B) in a way that students should be able to use it and apply it to their own situations. Focusing just on what life was like being herded by cavalrymen while your friends and family died is useless wankery.

Yeah, the experiences of actual native people are "useless wankery", let's talk more about what white guys were doing. Nothing makes history relatable to teenagers like relentless focus on the institutions controlled by most powerful at the expense of the experiences of the oppressed. Those people who died are best represented as a series of numbers and statistics, not as real people whose experiences can be empathized with and understood as human beings.

In three days, context is likely to be touched upon. This is a high-school level course, and getting the idea that America has done some very bad things through to students is already something that faces heavy resistance. Abstracting that further obscures the nature of the acts which were perpetrated. And the two subjects you mentioned are best integrated into the course as a whole, because they are relevant to the entire scope of American history.

You are proposing that what little representation of the voices of the victims is made available to the general public be silenced. You may think you are being high-minded, but your proposal obscures genocidal acts and refocuses the conversation away from the atrocities perpetrated and reduces what agency the victims had- which was to leave records of their experiences to speak to future generations. e3: Doing this- giving the oppressed a voice- is literally the first priority of every contemporary historian who writes about oppressed and marginalized people, and this is doubly true for those who are members of the oppressed groups.

This is the exact opposite of what progressive historians seek to do, and the opposite of what actual native historians have strove for academically.

e: then again, you think an act of genocide is an "afterthought" in American history, which is bald-faced racism. Sorry if that makes you think that I am like a woman, which you consider an insult.

e2: while we are making insulting metaphors, you are one step above a Holocaust denier. As a history grad student, I can assure you that your "truth" would likely get you expelled from a graduate level program.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 4, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So Georgia's unemployment rate is pretty bad, despite (or maybe because of) the whole "get gubmint out of the way and let the private sector do its thing!" and tax cuts business.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Surprised it neglects what happened to GA's agriculture sector after they passed their own "immigrant" law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

So happy I left. gently caress Georgia and the south in general. That state happily reelected a criminal shithead as well.

• Locked thread