Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is mostly because I'm super lazy, but I cut a lot of meat out of my diet by keeping all my meat frozen. I'd very rarely think to set some out ahead of time to thaw, so it was usually too much trouble when I got home from work to deal with. If I managed to plan ahead, yay meat! It became more of a special thing and everyday quick meals being more or less meatless became routine. With your freezer maybe not keeping a lot of meat ready to use would help with sticking to the 1x/week plan? Alternately might just lead to more takeout so uh, counter that with making veg meals really easy I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey spwrozek thanks. Yep Go Lions tomorrow! I kind of expect to lose this one, but at least they made it to the playoffs this year. Maybe next year we can tighten up the offense.

Meat stuff: Well we really only have to do it for like a month, so I think we'll be OK. We made it on rice and beans for about a month, so we should be able to go OK on the less meat. We'll try keeping all of our meat frozen, thanks for the suggestion.

Budget:

We're prioritizing taxes obviously. We may decide to just do a payment plan with the IRS and hold onto some of the savings as an emergency fund instead. Pregnancy bills will be paid with HSA. I added $200/mo for baby costs in February and March since I was thinking there will be some things we need to pick up pretty much certainly.

We just got a bill for our old apartment, so that's a new debt. :smith: We cut out discretionary for February since I imagine we won't have a lot of free time to think about that kind of stuff.

My wife used Excel to create this so the formulas ensure the numbers add up. My income reflects my new withholding rate.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

We just got a bill for our old apartment, so that's a new debt. :smith: We cut out discretionary for February since I imagine we won't have a lot of free time to think about that kind of stuff.

What happened here?

Your income still seems overstated. Are you just taking your biweekly income multiplying by 26 and then dividing by 12? You're claiming that you're taking home 82% of your gross income (I think you said you make $62k/yr), which is pretty high. But I guess if you don't have a 401k, health insurance, or state taxes it could be right. Not sure, but maybe something to look at. Your wife's income also looks high at 2000, but again don't know what's driving this.

For reference I only take home 69% of my net pay and my health insurance is pretty cheap.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

What happened here?

Your income still seems overstated. Are you just taking your biweekly income multiplying by 26 and then dividing by 12? You're claiming that you're taking home 82% of your gross income (I think you said you make $62k/yr), which is pretty high. But I guess if you don't have a 401k, health insurance, or state taxes it could be right. Not sure, but maybe something to look at. Your wife's income also looks high at 2000, but again don't know what's driving this.

For reference I only take home 69% of my net pay and my health insurance is pretty cheap.

Lease break fees is the apartment debt. We have an installment plan with them right now to ensure that it's not too stressful on our finances while the baby is impending.

Just going off my paystub as far as my income goes, which does reflect my new withholding rate. Wife is getting 3 paychecks this month, so that's why it's high for January.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I think I remember some discussion, but have you accounted for your insurance going up once you have to move to the family plan? Another thing the hospitals will do if there are separate deductibles, some goes on the babies insurance some goes on the mom's, so you can end up paying more a lot more out of pocket then you initially may have thought (i.e. you were assuming everything goes on the moms and you hit your deductible earlier than you actually will).

Edit: Changed the tone in regards to the hospital.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Just going off my paystub as far as my income goes, which does reflect my new withholding rate. Wife is getting 3 paychecks this month, so that's why it's high for January.

This just doesn't seem right. If you just changed your withholding yesterday how can it reflect the new rate? Maybe it's because you work for a small company but usually it takes at least a full pay period for the changes to be reflected.

Also the math doesn't add up. If you're only withholding another $100/mo * 12 months you're only withholding an additional $1,200. If you have an expected $3,500 tax bill? The baby will probably help and you should be okay, but something still seems off.

Also I brought this up a few pages back, but your health insurance is going to go up significantly after you have the baby. There's usually 3 tiers to insurance (self, self + spouse, self + family) each tier is considerably more expensive. Not sure if your wife has looked into it yet and is already taking it into consideration.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Why do you still want to save a downpayment for a house? Trash that category and get your car paid of and this mystery medical debt that you don't have "on the books". Also how do the pets cost 150 dollars a month again? What are you feeding them because if you need help reducing costs on their food there's really easy ways to go about it and not decrease their quality of life.

Also Knyte how was breaking the lease an unforseeable debt :ughh:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

This just doesn't seem right. If you just changed your withholding yesterday how can it reflect the new rate? Maybe it's because you work for a small company but usually it takes at least a full pay period for the changes to be reflected.

Also the math doesn't add up. If you're only withholding another $100/mo * 12 months you're only withholding an additional $1,200. If you have an expected $3,500 tax bill? The baby will probably help and you should be okay, but something still seems off.

Also I brought this up a few pages back, but your health insurance is going to go up significantly after you have the baby. There's usually 3 tiers to insurance (self, self + spouse, self + family) each tier is considerably more expensive. Not sure if your wife has looked into it yet and is already taking it into consideration.

I just checked a paycheck estimator with 1 federal withholding on my pay, and it's definitely the right income number.

With the current withholding and a baby here's how our 2015 taxes should look:

So no worries there.

Here's a better estimate of 2014. I completely forgot to include the fact that I paid about $4,000 in insurance last year out of my check, so that removed some tax burden:

We did forget that insurance will be going up on the budget though... I'll try to estimate using my wife's HR website and see how much we need to adjust. If it won't let us do my wife will have to call Monday or Tuesday.

Veskit: I just saw your post while typing this one up. Let me get back to you on that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Quick double post: Insurance goes up to $399 pretax from $302 pretax for the "family" tier. So $50 pretax per paycheck. I'll do the net calculation later.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Dunno how much it helps, but I'm a meat-lover who mostly eats vegetarian out of laze, making meat more for meals where I'm happy to spend some time cooking. Eggs are great to keep on hand and cheap. Whole chickens are generally p. cheap; on sale for $1 a pound is very doable; you can make all kinds of delicious stuff easily and use the bones for stock for other deliciousness. Steel-cut oats for breakfast are pretty cheap if you can get 'em in the bulk foods aisle, and with a can of pumpkin or a piece or two of fruit can easily make a nice pretty healthy breakfast for the week all at once. It's not rolled/steamed and still has some protein and other nutrients that regular oatmeal doesn't. Also, when you've got room in your budget, it might be a good idea to pick up a container of whey protein--I use it when I'm working out, but it's also really nice to just have the option to occasionally make a relatively nutritious meal-replacement shake for gently caress-all cost.

E: Chickpeas for hummus too; it's super cheap to make yourself, takes very little time, has some protein, and is pointlessly delicious.

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 3, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
KG, why don't you just pay the apartment debt and be done with it.. How much is it anyway? And sir, for the love of not using a calculator, will you put a subtotal on your expenses.

Nur_Neerg posted:

E: Chickpeas for hummus too; it's super cheap to make yourself, takes very little time, has some protein, and is pointlessly delicious.
Do you have any suggested recipes? I'd love to try some different ones. We wind up buying hummus because of the flavor.

Veskit posted:

Why do you still want to save a downpayment for a house? Trash that category and get your car paid of and this mystery medical debt that you don't have "on the books".
Agreed

Veskit posted:

Also how do the pets cost 150 dollars a month again? What are you feeding them because if you need help reducing costs on their food there's really easy ways to go about it and not decrease their quality of life.
You know what the vet is, yes? Accruing for it is smart. I spent $159/mo avg for our pets last year. Food/litter costs about ~$50/mo, the rest is heart meds and vet visits. My lab is the bestest though, he hasn't been to the vet almost 2yrs. But he has some hopefully fat balls that are going to get biopsied next weekend...

Veskit posted:

Also Knyte how was breaking the lease an unforseeable debt :ughh:
Agreed. We all mentioned this months ago, and KG shoulda had the bill upon move out...

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

SiGmA_X posted:

You know what the vet is, yes? Accruing for it is smart. I spent $159/mo avg for our pets last year. Food/litter costs about ~$50/mo, the rest is heart meds and vet visits.

He has another line for vet savings. In the past when he had to spat/neuter the pet line shot up from $150 to $300 or so. I think the $150/month is just food and incidentals.

As it is, the $50 he has allocated for vet bills is not nearly enough considering the number of animals he has. It might cover yearly checkups and preventive care, but a single emergency would easily blow out all of his allocation.

in_cahoots fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 3, 2015

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Do you have any suggested recipes? I'd love to try some different ones. We wind up buying hummus because of the flavor.

I normally keep tahini, lemon juice, and fresh garlic around. So one 15-ounce can of garbs just the beans but reserve the water, 4 tbsp tahini, 2 tbsp lemon juice, a couple cloves of garlic in a food processor, process till mostly a chunky paste. I tend to spice it with salt and pepper here, then taste it, adjust with the lemon juice/garlic/spices until you're happy with the flavor, then add a bit of the reserved water and keep processing/adding water until you're happy with the consistency. It's pretty much just going by feel/taste. Most people top it with some paprika and a little bit of olive oil in a depression on top. Minced garlic is really nice, pine nuts are a really nice addition. I like to put some cayenne to flavor in mine too, and tend to go heavy on the garlic/lemon.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!

Nur_Neerg posted:

I normally keep tahini, lemon juice, and fresh garlic around. So one 15-ounce can of garbs just the beans but reserve the water, 4 tbsp tahini, 2 tbsp lemon juice, a couple cloves of garlic in a food processor, process till mostly a chunky paste. I tend to spice it with salt and pepper here, then taste it, adjust with the lemon juice/garlic/spices until you're happy with the flavor, then add a bit of the reserved water and keep processing/adding water until you're happy with the consistency. It's pretty much just going by feel/taste. Most people top it with some paprika and a little bit of olive oil in a depression on top. Minced garlic is really nice, pine nuts are a really nice addition. I like to put some cayenne to flavor in mine too, and tend to go heavy on the garlic/lemon.

Personally, I swear by the recipe at Smitten Kitchen, which is easily as good as anything at the store and hardly takes any time even with the extra step of rubbing the skins off the beans.

Also, seconding the suggestion of oatmeal with cheap fillers for breakfast. In fact, you can apparently make no-cook oatmeal in the fridge overnight which sounds like a great thing to make several of on Sunday evening and just pull out of the fridge each morning. It can probably even be microwaved if it's too cold out right now. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself. Though now I really want to.)

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

strawberrymousse posted:

Personally, I swear by the recipe at Smitten Kitchen, which is easily as good as anything at the store and hardly takes any time even with the extra step of rubbing the skins off the beans.

Also, seconding the suggestion of oatmeal with cheap fillers for breakfast. In fact, you can apparently make no-cook oatmeal in the fridge overnight which sounds like a great thing to make several of on Sunday evening and just pull out of the fridge each morning. It can probably even be microwaved if it's too cold out right now. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself. Though now I really want to.)

I'll give that hummus a shot for sure, it looks delicious. I really enjoy making this steel-cut oatmeal, it's got really good texture and flavor and is perfect for the season reheated with some milk. Also pretty cheap, and just gets new fruit and spice mixes for whatever's seasonal most of the year.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

Nur_Neerg posted:

I'll give that hummus a shot for sure, it looks delicious. I really enjoy making this steel-cut oatmeal, it's got really good texture and flavor and is perfect for the season reheated with some milk. Also pretty cheap, and just gets new fruit and spice mixes for whatever's seasonal most of the year.

Holy crap, that looks amazing! And yeah, I can't think of any reason other fruit purees wouldn't work just as well, definitely apple or pear, even peach might be good to try. Come to think of it, it would also be really easy to make a batch of this on a weekend and then reheat a bowl every morning with additions like a handful of raisins or berries to keep it interesting. Well, there's breakfast taken care of from now until summer!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

strawberrymousse posted:

Holy crap, that looks amazing! And yeah, I can't think of any reason other fruit purees wouldn't work just as well, definitely apple or pear, even peach might be good to try. Come to think of it, it would also be really easy to make a batch of this on a weekend and then reheat a bowl every morning with additions like a handful of raisins or berries to keep it interesting. Well, there's breakfast taken care of from now until summer!

I cube up honeycrisp in the fall and cook it with a lot of cinnamon. Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries have all been really good as well. I could probably get down on sweet potato too.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

You know what the vet is, yes? Accruing for it is smart.

:jerkbag:

He has a line for vet and pets and pets are a monthly bill while THE VET LINE is another line item.

My question still stands.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for all the food ideas. Everything posted looks really great even if we're not on a budget. Another thing we'll be trying is hard boiled eggs, and rice cooked with bullion broth. My old Vietnamese friend used to make this all the time and it's pretty tasty and cheap.

OK pet savings: my wife and I took steps this morning actually before we posted the budget to cut pet expenses. We ended up going with a much cheaper, but still good food for both the dogs and cats. Where our 30 lb bag before would cost anywhere from $45-$55 and they'd need that twice a month (dogs), we're now buying a 40 lb bag from Amazon for $32. We're ordering 80 lbs of food (again they only need roughly 60 lbs a month) for about $15 more than 30 lbs of the old stuff. I might be wrong on the old lbs/mo too (maybe less? I'm not sure)

I don't know how this will work out exactly as far as cutting the expense, but we'll see. Cats are also slightly cheaper for food with an 18 lb bag @ $25. I don't think they'll cost the budgeted amount per month. Our average spending is less than $150/mo right now even before the new savings on food.

As far as vet bills, we do have a separate line for them yes. Our vet is really reasonable when it comes to pricing though, so I think $50/mo (which is an accruing category) is fine for now. As they start to age I think we'll absolutely need to up this amount.

The house fund can definitely be turned into a debt pay down category or whatever, I just don't think it'll get anywhere anytime soon.

The apartment debt wasn't unexpected, we just made a really stupid mistake that made it about $500 more than we expected to pay. We just got the bill yesterday, also.

I'll get the budget totals accrued when I figure out the new numbers we're looking at (don't want to post old numbers twice).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Be specific with dog/cat food brands knyte so we can actually look into pricing it out with what you should and shouldn't consider ect you might be able to save some big money here. Also the weight of both dogs and both cats.

Knyteguy posted:

The apartment debt wasn't unexpected, we just made a really stupid mistake that made it about $500 more than we expected to pay. We just got the bill yesterday, also.

What the hell does this mean? What did you do?

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Veskit posted:

What the hell does this mean? What did you do?

KG posted:

Lease Break:
My wife was incorrect with the amount of the lease break (I wasn't there for the lease signing explanation). Lease break is 1.5 months rent, but deposit is not forfeited. Deposit is $550 so it's about $70 more than I expected. We should get most of our deposit back. I've actually never lost anything beyond a mandatory cleaning fee on a deposit.

Originally, KG throught that breaking the lease would be the cost of the deposit. When Bugamol called him out, he found out it was 1.5 months rent ($1,185).

Seems like it was 1.5 months rent AND the deposit - $1,735. Or three times what he originally thought it would cost. Or 1.5 times what he eventually thought it would cost.

I could be wrong, but it fits the narrative (KG thought deposit was forfeited in the first place, not crazy to believe it would be a clause in the lease that deposit is forfeited on breaking it, etc. etc.).

Edit: KG - how was it $70 more than you expected? You expected $550, and it was $1,185, which doesn't add. And by your own admission you had to pay both rents for part of November.

This is what gets me sometimes - the gap between what you hope/think things will cost and what they actually cost to justify a financial decision. With all the above expenses and the cost of the move, what was the final dollar amount? Do you think, if you had given that figure to us in the first place, that anyone would have recommended you break the lease and move with your finances how they are now? Do you think that the stress you were under that caused you to lose track of spending was a defense mechanism to shield you from accountability (to yourself, to us) for how much you spent?

That said, I think with the tax SNAFU and the imminent birth, you are starting to see for yourself how hope is not a viable strategy.

Aagar fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 4, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Dog food: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000084F1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cat food: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OH35Z6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (price went up last night and added shipping, we paid $25 @ Prime shipping)

It's not the best stuff in the world, but it's good enough for now. We can switch back to better foods in a few months. They've been on some of the best grain-free foods in the store since we've had them (cats too). If anyone has better ideas though feel free to suggest, but like slap me silly said there's a posting moratorium on pet-talk (PI stuff), so let's be careful of that.

No the apartment wasn't a bad estimation. We left our apartment keys in the apartment on our move out day assuming they would walk-in and get them, like every other place we've ever rented does. Instead they waited 17 days to enter-which we have been billed for-since they didn't have the keys while never trying to get a hold of us at 4/5 numbers we provided to them (my wife changed numbers like a day after we moved). The place just nickle-and-dimed us at every turn and I think the lack of contact to my work, her work, our emergency number, or my cell phone is pretty shiesty. Ultimately though it was on us, as it said keys need to be returned to the office to complete the lease end. We won't make that mistake again.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
You... didn't turn the keys in to the office? Hotels expect you to leave the keys in the room. I have never had a rental house/apartment where the landlord didn't expect the keys placed in their hand upon move-out, but I've generally steered clear of cheap rentals too. Did they not do a final walk-through with you on the day you thought you were ending your lease?

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

No the apartment wasn't a bad estimation. We left our apartment keys in the apartment on our move out day assuming they would walk-in and get them, like every other place we've ever rented does.

Knyteguy, there's been a number of times in this thread that you've predicted outcomes with words like "assuming" and "hoping", and wound up paying more/receiving less money than you had expected. It's great that each time it comes up you recognize it and "won't make that mistake again", but have you given any thought to why this sequence keeps repeating? Is it possible there's a kind of meta-mistake you are making which keeps you from being able to predict and avoid future incidents of this type?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Just realize that if you are switching foods you should do it for more than a few months. It will mess with their stomachs to keep switching every few months. Be prepared for gross poops from everyone for at least six weeks.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

PitViper posted:

You... didn't turn the keys in to the office? Hotels expect you to leave the keys in the room. I have never had a rental house/apartment where the landlord didn't expect the keys placed in their hand upon move-out, but I've generally steered clear of cheap rentals too. Did they not do a final walk-through with you on the day you thought you were ending your lease?
I feel like 'make sure you have a final walk-through and carbon copy of the move out report signed by yourself and the landlord' is a thing you learn after getting burned on your first college apartment and never again. I mean, come on man. At some point you have to start using your brain.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I feel like not just immediately paying the $500 you owe due to a mistake is some mental gymnastics to try and pretend you have and are saving more money than you really are. Just pay it. Your wife was getting an extra check this month and now she's not. Move on.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bugamol posted:

I feel like not just immediately paying the $500 you owe due to a mistake is some mental gymnastics to try and pretend you have and are saving more money than you really are. Just pay it. Your wife was getting an extra check this month and now she's not. Move on.

Agree with this. Also man was that a stupid waste of $500. Ugh!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Dog food: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000084F1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cat food: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OH35Z6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (price went up last night and added shipping, we paid $25 @ Prime shipping)

It's not the best stuff in the world, but it's good enough for now. We can switch back to better foods in a few months. They've been on some of the best grain-free foods in the store since we've had them (cats too). If anyone has better ideas though feel free to suggest, but like slap me silly said there's a posting moratorium on pet-talk (PI stuff), so let's be careful of that.

No the apartment wasn't a bad estimation. We left our apartment keys in the apartment on our move out day assuming they would walk-in and get them, like every other place we've ever rented does. Instead they waited 17 days to enter-which we have been billed for-since they didn't have the keys while never trying to get a hold of us at 4/5 numbers we provided to them (my wife changed numbers like a day after we moved). The place just nickle-and-dimed us at every turn and I think the lack of contact to my work, her work, our emergency number, or my cell phone is pretty shiesty. Ultimately though it was on us, as it said keys need to be returned to the office to complete the lease end. We won't make that mistake again.

How big is each pet and how much do you feed them daily? Also I'm pretty sure pet chat is specifically trying to talk about getting rid of or not getting rid of your pets. I'm just trying to figure out what food gives you the best cost/benefit. Seriously though it's important how much you feed them per day and how much they weigh.

Also gently caress THAT I'd let them sue me for that money.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 4, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

I feel like 'make sure you have a final walk-through and carbon copy of the move out report signed by yourself and the landlord' is a thing you learn after getting burned on your first college apartment and never again. I mean, come on man. At some point you have to start using your brain.

Jesus Christ, no kidding. I've never moved out of a place without a walk through to make sure we agree on condition and that I didn't leave anything behind our take something of theirs... and then hand over my keys directly to them as I ride off into the sunset.

poo poo, I get nervous when my car's in for maintenance or washing and the attendant tells me the keys are in it as I finish paying up... nobody's going to watch and make sure my car isn't getting stolen? I want a goddamn chain of custody on my property.

Luckily, the new places I go now don't do that.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

This sounds really loving shady to me. Did they not do a walkthrough with you? Did you give written notice with the day you would be gone?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The more I think about it the more I wish you had told the thread hey they said I owe them 500 dollars for this minor thing. You really could have fought it and not paid it. It wouldn't have been hard to say no. Like absolutely not going to pay this. I mean hell how could they even prove you didn't leave them the keys in the place they wanted to gently caress that.

I feel like there were a lot of details missing on the move probably because you took a break from posting.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

PitViper posted:

My apartment contractually states key returned to manager, same as last apartment. I thought that was SOP.

That said, it sounds really shady that they're charging rent for a non-returned key. I pay a $5 fee per key...

Bugamol posted:

Yep, get it over with.

Knyteguy posted:

SMS was only referring to the telling you to get rid of the pets. We're now trying to help you save money with the pets, as we (at least I do, I have 4 pets and they are family, like it or not!) realize they aren't going anywhere.

Diamond makes the majority of dry pet foods in the USA, and Costco uses them for the Nature’s Domain grain free line, if you dogs have a reason to be grain free. I have a pitbull that has mass allergies, so we feed our pets grain free. For me, the cost difference is immaterial. My pack of dogs (70lb Lab, 55lb Pit, 7lb Chihuahua) eat roughly 525lbs/yr, which costs an average amount of $41.56/mo for grain free. Using the Diamond food you linked above, it would be $34.33/mo. I know animals vary, but our dogs had the same experience with Avoderm as Nature's Domain and Avoderm is almost 2x the price.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Diamond makes the majority of dry pet foods in the USA, and Costco uses them for the Nature’s Domain grain free line, if you dogs have a reason to be grain free. I have a pitbull that has mass allergies, so we feed our pets grain free. For me, the cost difference is immaterial. My pack of dogs (70lb Lab, 55lb Pit, 7lb Chihuahua) eat roughly 525lbs/yr, which costs an average amount of $41.56/mo for grain free. Using the Diamond food you linked above, it would be $34.33/mo. I know animals vary, but our dogs had the same experience with Avoderm as Nature's Domain and Avoderm is almost 2x the price.

I think the dog food is fine for the budget and it'll do, but i'd switch the cats to this http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Wild-Mo...e+wild+cat+food

It's marginally more expensive, but it's way more nutritious. You can feed your cats HALF OF THE REQUIREMENT ON THE BAG for them to be a healthy weight. Win win all around.

I find it cheaper though to get my dog food locally, and if you have a pet store local you can get the 30 pound bags of taste of the wild for around 50 bucks, and then feed your dog half the requirement and they're a ok. If not Find a feed store, one for farmers and such because they will have good brands that are super affordable. I think diamond naturals is ok though to feed your pets half what's on the bag too, which will cut your pet expenses hopefully by at least 50 bucks a month!

Veskit fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 4, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

RheaConfused posted:

Just realize that if you are switching foods you should do it for more than a few months. It will mess with their stomachs to keep switching every few months. Be prepared for gross poops from everyone for at least six weeks.
I'd recommend getting the new food before the old one expires, and doing a gradual mix-in of the new food to replace the old food: Maybe 90% old /10% new food for the first few days, 75/25 after that, 50/50, and then start making the majority of it the new food.

Veskit posted:

I find it cheaper though to get my dog food locally, and if you have a pet store local you can get the 30 pound bags of taste of the wild for around 50 bucks, and then feed your dog half the requirement and they're a ok.

When I switched over from Science Diet to whatever I used to have until recently and now Taste of the Wild which I currently give my dog, the local pet shop said the same thing. But I ended up having to feed him the same in volume (3 cups/day) as the Science Diet for him to maintain his weight. So I never bought into this idea it was actually cheaper on the whole to give him that, or that it led to less overall yard poop since the volume and weight of feed per day is still comparable.

I do feel bad that I started getting my Taste of the Wild from Amazon Prime instead of the local shop, but at $47 w/ free shipping to my doorstep vs. $56 locally at inconvenient hours for me, it made overwhelming sense to go with Amazon.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

SMS was only referring to the telling you to get rid of the pets. We're now trying to help you save money with the pets, as we (at least I do, I have 4 pets and they are family, like it or not!) realize they aren't going anywhere.

That's right, I have no issue with people giving Knyteguy poo poo about expensive dog food :) Seconding the advice to do it slowly and judiciously if you change foods. I changed mine more than a month ago to a slightly cheaper but perfectly good food and he's still having foul liquishits like three times a week.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I would definitely fight the apartment if I didn't care about my credit rating and my rental history, but I do. The consequence of not paying is them putting us in collections for the bill. We did give them 30 days written notice, yes. No walkthrough, no bill or notice of fees at all until this past Friday. We've never had any problem at all getting back our rental deposits, nor run into any kind of stuff like this, so we were blindsided by it. And we've rented more places than the average individual, pretty much guaranteed. Live and learn though we'll take our hard knocks and move on. The whole apartment fiasco was a very good, very expensive life lesson. At least we're not on a fixed income or something and we can deal with it.

For the bill it's not just the $500 due now, it's the entire lease break fee as well. That comes $1,485 give or take a couple dollars. I'd rather just make them minimum payments for awhile with so many financial hazards impending. If you guys think we should just pay it though that's fine.

As far as the dogs go, I'd estimate our large dog is about 70 lbs, and our smaller dog is closer to 30-40lbs.

With the PI stuff I just meant I didn't want people getting on my back about not getting the ultra premium food for a little bit here. I'm all for feeding them the best we can afford, but the bar for what we can afford just got a little lower. I'll definitely look into the food ideas. I like feed stores, but I haven't been to one in years. Thanks for the ideas we'll look into the options more this weekend for moving forward.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Knyteguy posted:

I would definitely fight the apartment if I didn't care about my credit rating and my rental history, but I do. The consequence of not paying is them putting us in collections for the bill. We did give them 30 days written notice, yes. No walkthrough, no bill or notice of fees at all until this past Friday. We've never had any problem at all getting back our rental deposits, nor run into any kind of stuff like this, so we were blindsided by it. And we've rented more places than the average individual, pretty much guaranteed.

Have you tried, I dunno, calling them up and talking to them about it?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SpelledBackwards posted:

Have you tried, I dunno, calling them up and talking to them about it?

Well my wife did and she tried to at least meet them in the middle on the key fee somewhere with no luck. If I do it I'm just going to yell at them and that hasn't worked in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Knyteguy posted:

For the bill it's not just the $500 due now, it's the entire lease break fee as well. That comes $1,485 give or take a couple dollars. I'd rather just make them minimum payments for awhile with so many financial hazards impending. If you guys think we should just pay it though that's fine.

This is crazy. Didn't you have it back in your budget to break the lease? Wouldn't it just be paid when you left?

So basically you have a $2500 tax liability, $1500 lease liability, a baby on the way, no savings, and a herd of animals. There is zero chance you're wife can be off work. You need to man up and see about a higher paying job too.

Who gives a crap about $20 of dog food when you have things like this going on?

• Locked thread