Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
Almost everyone needs reading glasses eventually, it's just a thing that happens with age.

I had a moderate astigmatism in both eyes, and slightly thinner than average corneas (there was a lot of the two doctors trying to decide if it'd be safe for me). Ended up getting the wavefront done with no issues.

I'm at around the 2-month mark now and doing well. Some moderate dryness in the left eye still (it was much weaker), but not painful. It blurs eventually, but if I keep drops handy it goes back to crystal clear. Annoying, but I can live with it, and it's been steadily improving.

Most of the visual aberrations and distortions I was experiencing early on have completely cleared up. I still get glare and halos from very bright direct light sources, but most don't bother me in the daytime anymore, and night is getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also you could go to an eye center that does everything from LASIK to PRK, LASEK, and experimental stuff. That way they can tell you if any procedures now or in the works are right. Generally I've found a consultation to be free at those places.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My mom had LASIK done 2 years ago now, and she is so so happy. She now only wears reading glasses. Like the kind you buy for $2 in a convenience store. Her vision (I think) is 20/20 and before she was severely nearsighted.

I'm 24 and would LOVE to get my eyes done. I'm just going to have to save up for a while to do it. It seems so scary but my mom is thrilled and I'm jealous of her. I've read some places say they'll do anyone over 18, but I've also heard others say it's best to wait until like 26 so your eyes are fully mature or whatever. It would probably be a few more years until I could afford it anyway, but what's the consensus of what age is best?

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

I'm considering getting this done - I 've had 3 consultations, and all three said I would be a suitable candidate for LASIK but only 1 of them (private appointment at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London) recommended getting LASEK rather than IK as he felt this would offer me more options in the future in say 20 years time due to being less invasive. He also mentioned that of the 6 ophthalmologists he's treated, all went for EK (5 out of choice, 1 due to thin corneas) and that would be his personal preference.

The prospect of longer healing time is a bit daunting but I have plenty of holiday at work, and for the longer-term benefit I can look past the boredom, but does this sound right to anyone else?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Buggiezor posted:

My mom had LASIK done 2 years ago now, and she is so so happy. She now only wears reading glasses. Like the kind you buy for $2 in a convenience store. Her vision (I think) is 20/20 and before she was severely nearsighted.

I'm 24 and would LOVE to get my eyes done. I'm just going to have to save up for a while to do it. It seems so scary but my mom is thrilled and I'm jealous of her. I've read some places say they'll do anyone over 18, but I've also heard others say it's best to wait until like 26 so your eyes are fully mature or whatever. It would probably be a few more years until I could afford it anyway, but what's the consensus of what age is best?

I got mine done right before I turned 25. It really depends on your particular set of eyeballs, but most places recommend waiting until your prescription hasn't changed significantly for a year or two.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I'm getting LASIK on Friday and I'm so excited! I have been wearing glasses since I was 6 (I'm now 27), so it will really be a life changing experience. Ever since I scheduled the surgery, my glasses have been such an annoyance.

I'm super nervous about not rubbing my eyes after the procedure for a few days though. I feel like that's something I do unconsciously. Any advice? I'm gonna try to not rub my eyes at all starting right now, but ohgod what if I rub them by accident and ruin everything?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Wear goggles at all times?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I found that I was so hyper conscious of not touching my eyes that it wasn't a problem. The only time it was an issue was first thing in the morning when I was still 75% asleep, and that's when they suggest you wear the goggles anyway.

My surgeon said you only really NEED the goggles for the first 24 hours and you should be ok unless you're really going to town on your eyeballs.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

Had my three month checkup recently, my right eye is 20/15, but my left eye healed with a slight astigmatism, so they have to touch it up. That should be fun/annoying.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

spatula posted:

I'm super nervous about not rubbing my eyes after the procedure for a few days though. I feel like that's something I do unconsciously. Any advice? I'm gonna try to not rub my eyes at all starting right now, but ohgod what if I rub them by accident and ruin everything?

I was the same way. The goggles help and I wore them at night for my first week. You become very conscious of wanting to rub your eyes, makes it easier to avoid doing it.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Update, got LASIK (intralase bladeless) last night. I can see all sorts of poo poo and apparently it's only going to get better every day. This owns.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
3 month update:

I noticed things getting a bit worse, gradually, after my 1 month follow-up. I had chalked it up to the sudden change in temperature and humidity. I've been using drops more and more regularly, not for discomfort, but because I found it improved my vision. At this point I've been hitting the (tears) bottle every 15 minutes or so.

Today's exam found my eyes around -1, no astigmatism, and excellent near vision. My options were a small prescription of glasses, getting an enhancement, or waiting until the 6 month mark for a follow-up appointment and enhancement at that time. I opted for the 6 month follow-up as that is the doctor's general preference, and I am very comfortable deferring to his expertise.

I had been getting worried that my dry eyes would never heal. Turns out they're not dry, I just need an enhancement performed to get them just right. I can't wait for 3 months to pass so that I can get my vision back to how awesome it was in the first month. Today's diagnosis comes as a relief. Thankfully I have very thick corneas making the enhancement less of a concern. Per the doctor, about 7% of patients require an enhancement, more likely in highly myopic patients like I was (about -10 per eye).

For what it's worth, I've switched to Thera Tears and find them super comfortable.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
So four years after my "wavefront lasik" procedure, I'm OD -0.5 and OS -0.75. Should I be worried?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lolcano Eruption posted:

So four years after my "wavefront lasik" procedure, I'm OD -0.5 and OS -0.75. Should I be worried?

Was this gradual or more sudden?

Also, how old are you?

Have you just had one surgery on both eyes?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Zogo posted:

Was this gradual or more sudden?

Also, how old are you?

Have you just had one surgery on both eyes?

I'm not too sure. I had checkups up to a year after but they never did tell me the numbers. It never seemed like I had any problems reading things though. I just got an eye exam because it was free and that was the result.

I'm 25 years old, and I've only had it done one time. My optometrist friend bet me $100 that I would have to get glasses again within three years. I hope I don't lose that one.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I'm 25 years old, and I've only had it done one time. My optometrist friend bet me $100 that I would have to get glasses again within three years. I hope I don't lose that one.

If you had the procedure done at in the 20-22 range then I'm not surprised at all (that's on the young side to have the surgery). Eyes never stop changing and they can change a great deal in the 20-30 age bracket.

So you're most likely due for an enhancement if you're a candidate. Or you could wait a few more years if you can get by in your current state.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Your eyeball got bigger and they have to slice more off to make it the correct size.

20 year glasses wearer here. I'd love to have perfect vision but I definitely fear the side effects. My cousin has lasik done 6 years ago and was telling me last week her night vision sucks, halls and glare around any lights. I know the vast majority of people are happy with the results, but I'm always unlucky at things like this.

Question: for those of you who noticed the "bug eye" effect caused by your myopia, did you notice that reducing after the surgery?

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

tesilential posted:

My cousin has lasik done 6 years ago and was telling me last week her night vision sucks, halls and glare around any lights. I know the vast majority of people are happy with the results, but I'm always unlucky at things like this.

My understanding is that's primarily based around the maximum dilated pupil size, which is different for every person. If the dilated pupil is larger than the flap, whelp. Which is something a good surgeon should be testing for and warning people/sending them away.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Protip : don't get hit in the eye and displace your flap, the repair surgery sucks

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
Does anyone have experience with topography-guided lasik? It's a new technology that provides more accuracy than CustomVue for mapping the eye.

http://www.walmaneye.com/lasik/topography

Since it started last year, I haven't found any experiences or costs associated with it posted on the internet.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
How stable does one's prescription have to be to qualify for Lasik? Does it have to stay literally unchanged? I'm sure it varies depending on the person, but it's hard to find any specifics.

My current prescription is -3.00 in one eye and -2.75 in the other, and both change by 0.25 every two or three years.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Mine was holding steady for 2-3 years before I got LASIK. I had a rapid decline from 14 till about 20 then it tapered off to a gradual decline before it stopped at -7 when I was 22. I got LASIK when I was a month shy of 25. It's really up to your eye doctor to determine if it's stable enough to get it without needing a re-do later.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Masa posted:

How stable does one's prescription have to be to qualify for Lasik? Does it have to stay literally unchanged? I'm sure it varies depending on the person, but it's hard to find any specifics.

My current prescription is -3.00 in one eye and -2.75 in the other, and both change by 0.25 every two or three years.

General guidelines are around no more than .5 in a year IIRC.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there any recommended resource for finding a doctor in my area that won't make my eyes fall out? I've turned 30 recently and my prescription is stabilized largely, so I'm considering at least going in for a consultation.

I'm sure it can vary as well, but I'm also trying to get an idea on pricing, to see how the various options for my vision insurance would affect things. Any idea what I'm looking at for someone with a relativley stable OD -4.25/-1.75/8, OS -5.75/-1.25/174?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ask your regular optometrist for a recommendation. Mine had a partnership with a surgeon so I could get all the pre- and post-op stuff done at the office near my house and I only had to travel to get the actual lasering done at a city two hours away (I lived in a small town in the middle of nowhere at the time).

Don't be afraid to travel to get it done with a good surgeon if you don't already live in a big city, you'll either have to get someone to drive you or get a hotel nearby but it's your eyeballs and you've only got one set so it's worth it.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Does anyone else get blurry eyes if they put too much pressure on their eyes? For example, I sometimes have blurry eyes waking up because I wear an eye mask at night (light pollution issues). It goes away after a few minutes but is kinda terrifying, it's like I briefly went back to before I got the surgery done, and I can't find anyone else talking about this online.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My vision gets a bit blurry if I'm tired or my eyes are dry, I did wake up in the middle of the night with blurry vision after I rubbed my eyes pretty hard and panicked for a few minutes that I'd dislodged a flap but then it went back to normal after a minute or two.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Deviant, I'm not a doctor, but I am so nearsighted that I cannot read a computer monitor set a foot away from my face. My LASIK operation is quoted at ~$3700.

(EDIT: Since we're comparing prices, I'll note that I live in Houston. I see lower prices advertised all the time, but I'm sticking with this surgeon since he was recommended by my family doctor.)

Now my own question: How long should I wait between my septoplasty and LASIK? I currently have the deviated septum scheduled on 4/2 and LASIK scheduled on 4/17. I'm considering moving LASIK back to 4/24 but I'm just so sick of waiting for both of these.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 27, 2015

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

legsarerequired posted:

Deviant, I'm not a doctor, but I am so nearsighted that I cannot read a computer monitor set a foot away from my face. My LASIK operation is quoted at ~$3700.

Now my own question: How long should I wait between my septoplasty and LASIK? I currently have the deviated septum scheduled on 4/2 and LASIK scheduled on 4/17. I'm considering moving LASIK back to 4/24 but I'm just so sick of waiting for both of these.

Dear lord no do not schedule them so close together. A decent eye surgeon would say gently caress no to this plan. Even if everything all goes ok with the first op you would still be uncomfortable and possibly still cruddy which could increase the risk of infection. Your immune system can only handle so much healing at a time.

You should ask your lasik surgeon their opinion on timing it and also be sure to mention your lasik plans to your nose surgeon as well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Ask your regular optometrist for a recommendation. Mine had a partnership with a surgeon so I could get all the pre- and post-op stuff done at the office near my house and I only had to travel to get the actual lasering done at a city two hours away (I lived in a small town in the middle of nowhere at the time).

Don't be afraid to travel to get it done with a good surgeon if you don't already live in a big city, you'll either have to get someone to drive you or get a hotel nearby but it's your eyeballs and you've only got one set so it's worth it.

He said, as if I had a regular optometrist. I get an exam at wherever's closest to whatever apartment I'm living in at the time, and I order my glasses off the internet.

legsarerequired posted:

Ok, that jives with my google-research and napkin math.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Beep Street posted:

Dear lord no do not schedule them so close together. A decent eye surgeon would say gently caress no to this plan. Even if everything all goes ok with the first op you would still be uncomfortable and possibly still cruddy which could increase the risk of infection. Your immune system can only handle so much healing at a time.

You should ask your lasik surgeon their opinion on timing it and also be sure to mention your lasik plans to your nose surgeon as well.

Haha, I actually called both today and they both said the time frame was fine. Both of these doctors were recommended to me by two other doctors that have treated my family for years.

I am feeling pretty nervous about it now and I'll probably call the LASIK center to reschedule my procedure a month out from the septoplasty. Urgh, I'm so tired of waiting for this.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Deviant posted:

He said, as if I had a regular optometrist. I get an exam at wherever's closest to whatever apartment I'm living in at the time, and I order my glasses off the internet.

Where are you located? Maybe some goons could recommend where they got theirs done.

legsarerequired posted:

I paid $3600 for mine, and a good chunk of it was paid for with FSA dollars. I think mid 3000s is normal for LASIK, I would be wary of any doctors who are going lower than that and stay away from anyone charging much more. I got Wavefront with -7 prescription in both eyes going in fwiw.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I paid $4000something for Intralase LASIK at -6, -5.5 in the middle of Manhattan, NYC so I think that's probably on the high end of the price range. I got $2550 of it covered with my FSA.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Mine was $3200 for wavefront lasik. No insurance help, but I did get 48 months of zero interest.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Plan on getting PRK at the start of May. Going to be about $1400 an eye. It was recommended over LASIK as they said corrections are easier down the road since I'm in my early twenties with still minor eye changes every other year.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Bricklord posted:

Plan on getting PRK at the start of May. Going to be about $1400 an eye. It was recommended over LASIK as they said corrections are easier down the road since I'm in my early twenties with still minor eye changes every other year.

I had PRK done and needed some correction on my right eye a few months afterward. That wound up being extremely easy: recovery time was much quicker and I'm still 20/20 to this day. My surgeon said that he could still do minor corrections in the future if needed, but my eyesight had been stable for years before I went, so hopefully that won't be necessary.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
I'm jealous of those prices, my optometrist just referred me to a place that looks to charge around $6000 for LASIK. This is in San Francisco, so the prices are going to be higher than elsewhere, and the place is run by a surgeon who's a top of the field expert, but that's way more than I was expecting it to cost.

On one hand it's very tempting to look for a place that won't be as expensive, but if anyone's going to be cutting flaps in my eyeballs, I definitely want a true expert.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I paid that much in the SF Bay Area and don't at all regret it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Where are you located? Maybe some goons could recommend where they got theirs done.

Orlando, FL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

ibntumart posted:

I had PRK done and needed some correction on my right eye a few months afterward. That wound up being extremely easy: recovery time was much quicker and I'm still 20/20 to this day. My surgeon said that he could still do minor corrections in the future if needed, but my eyesight had been stable for years before I went, so hopefully that won't be necessary.

Yeah that's exactly the reasoning they gave for PRK over LASIK. The initial recovery won't be a big deal, I'll just have to take a week off. It'll be worth it if change is needed like you said.

• Locked thread