Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Where is that M19C from? I don't recall seeing it on the forums.

This Portuguese mod curation facebook page. Now that I look at it, most of them are probably converted rips, if you care about that sort of thing.

Combat Pretzel posted:

All I need is Nordschleife and a decent and long hillclimb type. I wish someone would make a good quality Pike's Peak.

There's two notable versions of Pikes Peak, Sover's version which has a better driving road, or SIM TRAXX's version which looks better and is still in development.

I'm assuming everyone knows of Snoopy's Nordschleife, to tide over until Kunos' official version.

Bunch of other great mod tracks out there if you know what you're looking for, I've taken a liking to Solitude Rennstrecke 1964.

Edit RE Steam Workshop: "We plan to integrate the Steam Workshop by the beginning of spring." I'm not sure how this would work with unlicensed mods. Maybe some high profile mods and the few creative mods will find a home on Workshop while the majority still stick to the underground of mod sites?

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nice. In regards to Pikes Peak and altitude, does AC simulate the effects of barometric pressure in the engine simulation? Since that has an actual effect in real life on the track. PCARS does, but I don't expect them to deliver Pikes Peak anytime whatsoever.

--edit:
Apparently SMS released all back-and-forth between Ben Collins, Nic Hamilton and their physics guys from the forums to the public on Christmas Eve. And people on the various racing forums are still bickering about how arcade PCARS is and essentially indirectly calling The Stig incompetent. :suicide:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 4, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Because difficult=real. Same poo poo with flight sims.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

holocaust bloopers posted:

Because difficult=real. Same poo poo with flight sims.

Is that why when I move the joystick too fast in DCS, the wings come off?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I always wonder about that, if "more realistic" equals "more realistic" in sims. I swear I remember some professional drivers were ripping on some game because they said it more difficult than driving the real thing, despite the game being held up as some paragon of realism.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Difficult = real comes from racing sims a long time ago. Clearly a sim from the 90s can't be all that realistic. There wasn't enough computing power to get enough detail to be realistic. You end up with cars with no grip that are incredibly hard to drive. Not surprisingly, people find a way to drive these cars fast anyway. You end up with people who can drive difficult, unrealistic cars well. They get it into their heads and since they are better than other people at driving these cars, it has to be realistic. This ties into the idea in other genres that difficult = real. Like in first person shooters, realism mods always make it so you can't sprint for more than 10 feet. Falling from a height greater than six inches shatters your legs.

Fast forward 15-20 years and we finally have realistic cars. Realistic meaning the cars are a decent representation of real life, not that they are hard to drive. So now you get people on forums bitching because GT3 cars a really easy to drive. This can't be real, it's arcade. A GT3 car should be sliding into a wall at 120 mph unless it's under my expert control. They fail to realize that GT3 cars are mostly stock GT cars with really sticky tires, roll cages and motec screens that are designed to be driven by gentleman drivers who have never raced before. Many real life race cars drive on rails until you really get them to the edge of grip. That's the whole point of a race car, to be driven really fast and be controllable.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 4, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If racing sims have taught me anything it's that a GT3 car has higher limits but when they're exceeded the car goes. There's not much room for error correction.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Difficult = real comes from racing sims a long time ago. Clearly a sim from the 90s can't be all that realistic. There wasn't enough computing power to get enough detail to be realistic. You end up with cars with no grip that are incredibly hard to drive. Not surprisingly, people find a way to drive these cars fast anyway. You end up with people who can drive difficult, unrealistic cars well. They get it into their heads and since they are better than other people at driving these cars, it has to be realistic. This ties into the idea in other genres that difficult = real. Like in first person shooters, realism mods always make it so you can't sprint for more than 10 feet. Falling from a height greater than six inches shatters your legs.

That's the whole point of a race car, to be driven really fast and be controllable.
I can understand the mentality around flight sims a bit more (especially when emulating old planes that didn't have a lot of niceties modern pilots take for granted... pulling negative G's with that carbureted engine? poor choice), but I feel like there's a certain irony with sim racing games when the majority of people playing them have actually driven a car. Obviously the technology/design is much higher in a race car (in turn, it's much safer/capable at high speeds) and the goal is to go a fast as the car can, but, at the end of the day, a street car ought to be quite analogous (rubber wheels grip roads well) and pretty much anyone seems to be capable of handling driving basics (even children not even trained to drive at all in the case of your run-of-the-mill go-karts).

Blasphemy, race car drivers are practically machines with skills well beyond any layman's wildest dreams as they use their rubber skates to get around the icy rings that asphalt tracks are. :v:

My realism FPS experience seems to differ though: in my experience they tended to make sprint much longer than base games (which were artificially short for "gameplay reasons") and falling damage moderately realistic (6~10 feet hurting a little, too much beyond that being leg injuries/general damage or incapacitation depending on game engine and height). Beyond that the difficulty = realism seems true to life since the difficulty arises from guns being more accurate and more lethal (both of which are true) than arcade-y base games.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bUm posted:

I can understand the mentality around flight sims a bit more (especially when emulating old planes that didn't have a lot of niceties modern pilots take for granted... pulling negative G's with that carbureted engine? poor choice), but I feel like there's a certain irony with sim racing games when the majority of people playing them have actually driven a car. Obviously the technology/design is much higher in a race car (in turn, it's much safer/capable at high speeds) and the goal is to go a fast as the car can, but, at the end of the day, a street car ought to be quite analogous (rubber wheels grip roads well) and pretty much anyone seems to be capable of handling driving basics (even children not even trained to drive at all in the case of your run-of-the-mill go-karts).
Eh, I've actually driven on Spa. As in real life. I mean, it was just a souped up Leon Cupra road car, but it sure as hell held the road way way better than any simulator combination of the same conditions I've tried. Even with ESP and ASR off. It sure as hell was a different experience than driving with haste on open roads. Nevertheless, interpolating from that experience I do expect actual race cars to drive like on rails. So, in terms of game physics, I'm fine with PCARS.

What's also a plus point for them is that they're relatively open about how their tire model works, at least on their forums. Apparently there was a post on their front page about it, too, a few weeks ago. RF2 also revealed details about their tire model in the past. Why AC gets the most praise out of the current generation of simulations is beyond me. That game's basically a black box.

--edit:
And then, there's this sort of poo poo, which I find awesome.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 4, 2015

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Honestly AC's physics just feel 'right' to me, although I find some of the more road biased cars a bit off. It certainly helped me brush up my lines at Brands Hatch and Donnington, when I did trackdays at both this year. Only thing I couldnt emulate is the 0°c track temp in December.

The GT3 spec is designed with gentelmen drivers in mind, the cars have traction control, abs and are usualy setup to be fairly forgiving on the limit. I remember reading the exception to this was the MP4-12c gt3 which they had issues with its handling becoming very edgy as a session went on. GT3s are roadcar based but underneath hardly anything is retained from the road car, chassis wise at least. Stuff like uprights and suspension arms etc are going to be completely different from the roadcar.

GTE/GT2 cars are a bit less forgiving and more for professional drivers, I have a feeling the 458 in ac is a GTE car I cant remember though.

Is pcars coming out soon? Also will they be allowing mods on the pc version at all?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

track day bro! posted:

Is pcars coming out soon? Also will they be allowing mods on the pc version at all?
March 17th/20th apparently.

Don't expect mods any time soon. Their boss Ian Bell was talking pro-mod last year, but nothing really happened since then. I suppose that's not viable financially, given that paid DLC's planned, IIRC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I always wonder about that, if "more realistic" equals "more realistic" in sims. I swear I remember some professional drivers were ripping on some game because they said it more difficult than driving the real thing, despite the game being held up as some paragon of realism.

This is like with Grand Prix Legends, where it's heresy in racing sim circles to rip on that game, when in reality it's really not even close to how those race cars actually drove. That said i'm not going to deny that Grand Prix Legends is a racing sim. It absolutely is, and I personally feel that there isn't some sort of super high standard for what is a racing sim, like much of the community wants to believe. I also have the unpopular opinion though that PC racing sims have actually be lagging way behind titles like Gran Turismo. But I also don't think there isnt this divide between the two platforms either (console and PC racing sims), the two are actually equal. Which again is another thing you shouldn't say in sim racing forums cause you'll get burned at a stake.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 4, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

track day bro! posted:

Honestly AC's physics just feel 'right' to me

Yup. For me how much fun I find a driving game depends on how much I can feel the road under the tires. Assetto Corsa just feels so drat good when you're hitting that slip angle going slightly sideways at 160 km/h, or scandi flicking your way up Eau Rouge. :mrgw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_D9enI8ijg

This is also why I enjoy Codemasters games so much, they all just feel so good. I haven't played pCARS yet but any footage of it I've seen looks like it doesn't give you a lot of play with the traction, looks like a boring sterile rollercoaster. My understanding is that they are going for more of a GT/Forza style game though, so I'll inevitably hop on the bandwagon eventually for my car unlocking career progression fix.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So basically, your opinion of PCARS is tained because there isn't any/much driftuuuuuuuuuuuuu videos?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty much. More so I mean in side by side comparison videos AC looks like it bounces and slides around more, where as pCARS looks like it sticks to the track more. pCARS still looks more realistic in most ways, but AC looks more fun.

Again I play a bunch of AC and none of pCARS so biased as hell.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, if you go by cockpit videos, the camera inside is by default detached from car movements, so when looking at the track, it may appear too smooth. The rationale from SMS is that your view doesn't bounce around much inside a real car either (except when you hit a curb or whatever). The game has a slider tho, to variably change between the default mode and body-fixed camera.

As far as sticking and sliding goes, we're for one again at the old argument as to how much ice skating is valid, and secondary, the default setups used in both cases may be different. Additionally habit may be an issue. I sure can't hop so easily between AC and PCARS, because each has a different idea of FFB.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Debating over what's more sim than the other seems moot. Both are running some very high level physics.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

holocaust bloopers posted:

Debating over what's more sim than the other seems moot. Both are running some very high level physics.

I honestly cant say anything about pcars because I missed the chance on being able to hop on with early access, but everything i've heard about it sounds like its worth me buying. It sounds like its got more actual 'game' than AC does. For me AC is fun enough with hotlapping and trying out different cars/tracks but thats about it.

Quick steeringwheel thing. I noticed this guy is making custom adapters for G25s. Makes me want to look for a secondhand one and slap my spare nardi wheel on it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars is where it's at for me. AC, while a great sim, is narrow in scope. Not that it's baffling. Kunos is a small developer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm trying not to hype up PCARS because a part of my is afraid the game is going to suck. I've had access to the sim since the public alpha builds first started, and it's a solid game all around, but I've kinda learned my lesson at this point.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Crossposting from the iRacing thread because the forums were down and I couldn't post when I wanted to.
Here's a few shots from GoonCar week 1 at USA International Speedway at night - Click for big.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

RallyeSim RBR 2015 is pretty good once you take the couple hours to set it up how you like it. I now have Nicky Grist co-driving a Sport Quattro with Next Gen Physics on a snow covered Joux Plane, feels good.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is it pretty easy to find an Assetto Corsa multiplayer game on the fly or do you have to be part of a community to find one?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Jehde posted:

RallyeSim RBR 2015 is pretty good once you take the couple hours to set it up how you like it. I now have Nicky Grist co-driving a Sport Quattro with Next Gen Physics on a snow covered Joux Plane, feels good.

i never figured this out, does RBR do anything more than 180 degree rotation? i couldn't find a setting and everything just felt very wrong unless i had really low degrees of rotation.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

Is it pretty easy to find an Assetto Corsa multiplayer game on the fly or do you have to be part of a community to find one?

You have to be part of a community to find one where people won't cause a pileup on T1 and rear-end you as soon as you overtake them.

Otherwise there's plenty of public racing going on, just don't expect it to be clean.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

OhsH posted:

i never figured this out, does RBR do anything more than 180 degree rotation? i couldn't find a setting and everything just felt very wrong unless i had really low degrees of rotation.

I still don't have a wheel yet so I don't know but a quick google suggests 540 degree rotation is ideal?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Jehde posted:

I still don't have a wheel yet so I don't know but a quick google suggests 540 degree rotation is ideal?

yeah, i originally read that, set it to 540 and it seemed super off, and it wasn't synced to the wheel in game, which i have no idea matters or not, it looks like the in game wheel only goes to 180, and it does not feel responsive unless i set my wheel to 180.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It's pretty easy to get input lag in RBR I've found.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

OhsH posted:

yeah, i originally read that, set it to 540 and it seemed super off, and it wasn't synced to the wheel in game, which i have no idea matters or not, it looks like the in game wheel only goes to 180, and it does not feel responsive unless i set my wheel to 180.

Yeah now that you mention it I noticed the in game wheel only turns like 90 degrees with my controller. :v: RBR's interior graphics aren't too good to begin with though, having no working mirrors nor working gauges is jarring coming from AC. It does feel good though, I had to mess with the steering curvature a fair bit to get it how I liked it though.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 8, 2015

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I've been playing with the wet weather stuff in project cars, sliding around the point-to-point tracks with AWD and no traction control kind of reminds me of Richard Burns Rally, but in a really expensive road car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3On5Mt0ySM

I'm still terrible at driving in the rain with RWD, its hard to get used to the fact that the throttle is no longer a "go where I'm pointing" pedal.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Pictures from this week's iRacing GoonCar event at South Boston Speedway:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635542&pagenumber=47#post440112326

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New Project CARS trailer; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xponcuyvzo

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Anyone looking to buy a steering wheel? I got a Logitech MOMO that's collecting dust if anyone is interested. I know its not a G27 but if you're looking to just start or have a kid brother that you don't want gropin' your wheels, its good.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I've been playing with the wet weather stuff in project cars, sliding around the point-to-point tracks with AWD and no traction control kind of reminds me of Richard Burns Rally, but in a really expensive road car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3On5Mt0ySM

I'm still terrible at driving in the rain with RWD, its hard to get used to the fact that the throttle is no longer a "go where I'm pointing" pedal.

Man they really have to work on the hand animation while turning. There were times where you'd hold a turn at just the right angle and both hands would be off the wheel which looked hilarious.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hikaki posted:

Man they really have to work on the hand animation while turning. There were times where you'd hold a turn at just the right angle and both hands would be off the wheel which looked hilarious.

That's how I drive, using my knee.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I haven't tested it recently, but you used to be able to get into this weird animation loop by turning the superkart wheel far enough and then hitting the upshift button really fast so it looked like your driver was smashing the steering wheel out of frustration. It was oddly satisfying.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Hikaki posted:

assetto corsa does the same poo poo

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Original rFactor got onto Steam Greenlight and got greenlit and I was not aware of this. Needless to say I'm pretty happy.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So will existing customers get a steam version?

I finally set some proper FOV settings in my sims last night. But that meant not being able to see the dash through the wheel anymore. Enter Nexus4, a piece of steel, and some velcro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ziploc posted:

So will existing customers get a steam version?

I finally set some proper FOV settings in my sims last night. But that meant not being able to see the dash through the wheel anymore. Enter Nexus4, a piece of steel, and some velcro.

Technology overkill! I've got an original Motorola Droid pulling the same duty on my setup.

• Locked thread