Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well this is boring.

EDIT: IT JUST GOT BETTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
this has me thinking

it would be kinda cool if these lameass recap episodes were also behind-the-scenes featurettes at the same time

like, "here are the creators talking about how they made the previous season, while also telling you about the critical plot points and elements"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This episode doesn't even have eyecatches to post.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

roh roh fight da powa

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

i should really put some work into getting good at my Kamina cosplay build in Dark Souls

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This episode makes up for the lack of eye-catches slightly I suppose. We haven't been getting our allotment of Fight the Powa

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Argus Zant posted:

this has me thinking

it would be kinda cool if these lameass recap episodes were also behind-the-scenes featurettes at the same time

like, "here are the creators talking about how they made the previous season, while also telling you about the critical plot points and elements"

I think this actually does?

I vaguely remember live-action footage of people scribbling things.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

please tell me that at least one of these creator comments about Yoko is "bomb-rear end titties"

it's still funny to me that Kamina didn't actually know that combining was a thing that could happen; he literally just thought that jamming one robot on top of another would accomplish something based on nothing other than "why the gently caress not"

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 4, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She's 14

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

i'm not sure if this is better or worse than other Recap Clip Shows

on the one hand, other shows at least build theirs around some form of narrative, like a character reminiscing about past events; this one is just straight up being a clip show with no rhyme or reason to its clip-showiness

on the other hand, at least it's being honest and not having anything that you would miss by skipping this episode

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You know as well as I do that this doesn't necessarily matter to these people.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Argus Zant posted:

i'm not sure if this is better or worse than other Recap Clip Shows

on the one hand, other shows at least build theirs around some form of narrative, like a character reminiscing about past events; this one is just straight up being a clip show with no rhyme or reason to its clip-showiness

on the other hand, at least it's being honest and not having anything that you would miss by skipping this episode
And it's got neat music, which makes it more tolerable in case you need to watch it for whatever reason

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Recaps as far as the eye can care to see.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I think this actually does?

I vaguely remember live-action footage of people scribbling things.

oh.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

fun fact: the 4 generals of Lord Genome, the Spiral King, all have names based on the nucleobases that make up DNA: guanine, cytosine, thymine, adenine

oh man, i remember when this started on the very first night

i hadn't seen any promos for anything, so i had zero goddamned idea what this show was gonna be about

and oooohhh man, when the poo poo started to hit the fan

ooohhh man

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 4, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AND THEN THEY ALL DIED.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

i don't recall everything being so damned dark the first time around

and by that i mean i don't recall them using low light levels to censor the Evangelion-levels of blood and human gore

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #RED
We never find out why the Crimson King massacred an entire classroom full of innocents just to frame this poor bastard and give him Deadman powers

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 4, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

By the way, the attorney is a major bad guy in the first half of this.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #Q
We never find out why Slimy Bastard orchestrated all this poo poo just to send Ganta to the Wonderland with his Deadman powers

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 4, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Argus Zant posted:

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #2
We never find out why Slimy Bastard orchestrated all this poo poo just to send Ganta to the Wonderland with his Deadman powers

Isn't it because he survives an encounter with the Red Man, and thus may have the blood thing? Or maybe Slimy Bastard knows about Ganta's past? Also maybe I should read the manga again, I don't remember if it ever finished though I do know it went further than the anime.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

By the way, the attorney is a major bad guy in the first half of this.

His (hilariously goony) backstory: He was a big fat smelly otaku neckbeard with no friends who lost all his toys and video games in the major Tokyo earthquake disaster known as "The Red Hole" 10 years prior to the start of the series, and this horribly traumatized/warped him into being a sadistic prison warden who now treats Deadman Wonderland like his own personal toy/game.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It always struck me how the Deadman Wonderland logo looks like the Pisces symbol.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Um, what

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Argus Zant posted:

i don't recall everything being so damned dark the first time around

and by that i mean i don't recall them using low light levels to censor the Evangelion-levels of blood and human gore

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #1
We never find out why the Crimson King massacred an entire classroom full of innocents just to frame this poor bastard and give him Deadman powers

Crimson King wasn't trying to frame Ganta. We can't even be sure that she is aware when she's like this. My best guess is that barring random chance, she was drawn to him, since they used to know each other.

Also, Slimy Bastard just wants him on the off chance that he may have super blood powers.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Isn't it because he survives an encounter with the Red Man, and thus may have the blood thing? Or maybe Slimy Bastard knows about Ganta's past? Also maybe I should read the manga again, I don't remember if it ever finished though I do know it went further than the anime.

okay, maybe perhaps i should consolidate

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #1 (for realsies this time)
We never find out why Ganta was framed for the murder of his entire class, why he was given Deadman powers by the Crimson King, or why Slimy Bastard orchestrated all this poo poo

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Lmao... "How big are them titties?" I'm taking this seriously.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Everybody meet Shiro! :kimchi:

Shiro is adorable! :kimchi:

Shiro is also secretly the Red Man. Also known as "the Wretched Egg".

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Rasta_Al posted:

Lmao... "How big are them titties?" I'm taking this seriously.

her response was pure gold, but it was really missing a "thank you" from the guy who asked

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #2
We never find out just what the gently caress Jigsaw's deal is. Like, seriously.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Argus Zant posted:

We never find out why Ganta was framed for the murder of his entire class, why he was given Deadman powers by the Crimson King, or why Slimy Bastard orchestrated all this poo poo

Because he wants to break into the "Mother Goose" computer system, which would cause a second Red Hole earthquake disaster in Tokyo, and Ganta's particular Super Blood Power just so happens to be the key to unlock it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You forgot about SHINY SHINY!

:catstare: You ALL forgot about SHINY SHINY!

(seriously though, please don't tell me they cut SHINY SHINY!)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 4, 2015

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

You forgot about SHINY SHINY!

You ALL forgot about SHINY SHINY!

i most certainly did not forget

i doubt anybody forgot

i also did not forget that the first episode had neither an OP or an ED

poo poo son, i think the music was one of the most memorable aspects of Deadman Wonderland

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Argus Zant posted:

Huh I thought my spoiler explained that. Crimson King may have given Ganta powers for any number of reasons, or no reason at all. Kind of hard to say with the Red Man. What we don't know, as far as I can remember, is the actual reason the Red Man came to Ganta's class but it may have been a case of being subconsciously drawn to him. One would assume Ganta gained his power from the attack. But I am not entirely sure that is the case, though that would certainly explain why he never seemed to use it before hand. Slimy Bastard orchestrated all this poo poo in the aftermath because a) he is a slimy bastard. b) Ganta survived the attack and thus an encounter with the Crimson King using their powers and thus has a pretty decent chance of having the power, assuming that the reason he has the power is from the attack by Crimson King and not from say the big calamity that happened in the past and probably led to all the other Deadmans gaining their power. c) he likes messing with people and ruining their lives. d) he may know some of Ganta's history, he might even know about Ganta's past with Shiro. e) I don't remember if he knew Ganta's mother but who knows there may have been some bad blood there.

Like I said I need to reread the manga since I don't remember all the details.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Argus Zant posted:

i most certainly did not forget

i doubt anybody forgot

i also did not forget that the first episode had neither an OP or an ED

poo poo son, i think the music was one of the most memorable aspects of Deadman Wonderland

Okay good, because I remember the first episode not having an OP, but I could've sworn it at least had SHINY SHINY! playing at the end.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Black Boxes

poo poo, i was under the impression that the Crimson King reported to/was under the control of Slimy Bastard, and that he had some major plan or scheme behind all this poo poo

i also don't recall anything about Ganta's past being terribly important in the grand scheme of things, thought it could be that either i've forgotten details in the 3 years since watching, or that that stuff was only in the manga

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Argus Zant posted:

poo poo, i was under the impression that the Crimson King reported to/was under the control of Slimy Bastard, and that he had some major plan or scheme behind all this poo poo

i also don't recall anything about Ganta's past being terribly important in the grand scheme of things, thought it could be that either i've forgotten details in the 3 years since watching, or that that stuff was only in the manga

Ah no the Crimson King was most definitely NOT under Slimy Bastard's control. He wanted control of the Wretched Egg but didn't have it. The old man, who might have been Slimy Bastard's father, might have had some vague control over the Crimson King. But I am not sure if even he did. There is a lot of stuff that is revealed in the manga after where the anime left off, so I am not sure how much about Ganta's past is revealed in the anime. I know Warden lady doesn't know a lot of the secrets of Deadman Wonderland, but I feel like Slimy Bastard didn't know everything either. Which of course would upset him because he wants Deadman Wonderland to be his own personal toy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Huh I thought my spoiler explained that. Crimson King may have given Ganta powers for any number of reasons, or no reason at all. Kind of hard to say with the Red Man. What we don't know, as far as I can remember, is the actual reason the Red Man came to Ganta's class but it may have been a case of being subconsciously drawn to him. One would assume Ganta gained his power from the attack. But I am not entirely sure that is the case, though that would certainly explain why he never seemed to use it before hand. Slimy Bastard orchestrated all this poo poo in the aftermath because a) he is a slimy bastard. b) Ganta survived the attack and thus an encounter with the Crimson King using their powers and thus has a pretty decent chance of having the power, assuming that the reason he has the power is from the attack by Crimson King and not from say the big calamity that happened in the past and probably led to all the other Deadmans gaining their power. c) he likes messing with people and ruining their lives. d) he may know some of Ganta's history, he might even know about Ganta's past with Shiro. e) I don't remember if he knew Ganta's mother but who knows there may have been some bad blood there.

Like I said I need to reread the manga since I don't remember all the details.

If you're actually counting what happened in the manga, then this was the actual reason for everything. Major manga spoilers follow:

The Red Man/Crimson King is actually Shiro, who gained her powers through a series of grotesque experiments conducted mainly by two people - Rinchirou Hagire, a completely loving bonkers biologist with a fascination for vivisection in particular, and Sorae Igarashi, Ganta's mother. Sorae deliberately conceived a child just so that she and Rinchirou could test biological weapons on it, but when she actually gave birth to Ganta, her parental instinct kicked in and she swapped out Ganta for another random child from the ward, which turned out to be Shiro.

Shiro displayed amazing resistance to the bioweapons tested on her, which eventually gave her tremendous regeneration capabilities and allowed her to manifest telekinetic powers through her blood. As his research developed, Hagire became so crazed with fascination at her pain (yes of course there's a loving sexual angle behind it, it's Japan and it's Deadman Wonderland) that he practically started flaying her alive during sessions to make her bleed more. Shiro's body deteriorated to the point where her limbs would start randomly dropping off, but she still couldn't die. She eventually developed the Red Man personality as a way to dissociate herself from everything.

Ganta grew up in the testing facility alongside Shiro and was pretty much her only friend, though he was still totally (and, it's hinted, deliberately) oblivious to everything going on with her. They liked to roleplay superheroes together, and Shiro's Red Man persona eventually became partly based on those same games; eventually she manifested it while they were playing and knocked his rear end out, but Ganta stood right back up again, making it the only time anyone didn't just break in half when Shiro attacked them. It left an impression on her.

Meanwhile, Sorae became steadily more deranged with guilt at what she was doing to Shiro, especially with Hagire egging it on the whole way. She covertly developed the Mother Goose system system to contain Shiro's power, but eventually the fact got out and she tried to justify it to Shiro by saying that it was for her own safety - if she overused her power too much, it'd probably kill even her. Shiro then happily cranked her powers up to their absolute limit in an attempt to commit suicide. poo poo got wrecked. The earthquakes happened and Deadman powers spread through the population. Ganta was evacuated from the area, and the last Sorae saw of him was him completely blocking out all memory that he ever knew Shiro. Sorae returned to the facility, activated the Mother Goose system, told Hagire to go gently caress himself, and shot herself in the head.

Hagire lost his poo poo at not being able to run his experiments to full capacity anymore; while Shiro recuperated, he used the Branch of Sin harvested from those creepy white-haired twins, Chan and En, to start body-snatching various people in an attempt to go undercover and prolong his own lifespan. Using those bodies, he created Deadman Wonderland to harvest Branches of Sin for himself in an attempt to become immortal like Shiro, so that they could fight and kill each other all they wanted, because he's a sadomasochistic nutcase. One of those bodies was the Jigsaw-looking warden that "Slimeball" Tamaki went bowling with. The next was Sakagami "Mockingbird" Toto.

For her part, Shiro somehow learned that Ganta was the original recipient for the experiments and still happily living outside of the facility. Out of vengeance for stealing her life and then forgetting about her, she butchered his classmates, set him up for the fall, and shot him with a fragment of her own power in an attempt to create a Deadman that could actually kill her. Tamaki just wanted a new Deadman and Hagire was completely oblivious to Shiro's plans, so Ganta stayed under the radar until he was in a position to screw up all the bad guys' plotting and let Shiro take center stage. The final big twist is that the Red Man was never really an alternate personality at all; Shiro was always in control, and her feelings of hate and suicidal self-loathing were just as genuine as her hopeless need to rekindle her friendship with Ganta.

I left out some stuff, but those are the main points. tl;dr: everyone's hosed at the Wonderland.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Small reminder for those up late, Cowboy Bebop uncut/HD begins tonight at 4 AM starting at ep 1.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh poo poo.

This is the Bleach episode where Tosen can see for the first time in his life and calls Komamura ugly.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

this loving episode of Dandy, mang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oxxidation posted:

If you're actually counting what happened in the manga, then this was the actual reason for everything. Major manga spoilers follow:

:words:

I left out some stuff, but those are the main points. tl;dr: everyone's hosed at the Wonderland.

... well poo poo, even I could have predicted that. Everybody knows Dissociative Identity Disorder almost never presents with just one alternate personality; it normally presents as an interlinked network of at least two or three alternate personalities, each of which serves a vital purpose in maintaining and sustaining the whole, while oftentimes representing a distinct facet of human brain cognition/performance.

(... okay, no, everybody doesn't know that, but I do and I really like to play Armchair Psychiatrist and occasionally sperg out over neuropsychiatry topics, so gently caress all yall :colbert:)

• Locked thread