Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Emerson Cod posted:

No? Unless they posted a rules update making a special case, as long as its a permanent it will reenter the battlefield, same as a card like Zoetic Cavern. They haven't ruled on what would happen to an instant or sorcery officially yet, but it would probably remain exiled.

I'm pretty sure they said a non-permanent that gets manifested and blinked is revealed and kept in play as a 2/2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

suicidesteve posted:

I'm pretty sure they said a non-permanent that gets manifested and blinked is revealed and kept in play as a 2/2.

That's if an effect tries to turn it face-up. If you blink it, and it's a permanent, it enters the battlefield.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

suicidesteve posted:

Right, if a manifested instant or sorcery would be turned face up by a spell or effect like Break Open, it would be revealed and kept in play as a 2/2. Blink effects are different, I'm talking about something like Momentary Blink that exiles a permanent and brings it back as part of the spell's resolution.

A couple different rules scenarios with existing cards would illustrate the difference.

Arthur controls a face down Zoetic Cavern. During his post-combat main phase after he attacked with the face down creature, he casts Momentary Blink targeting it. As Momentary Blink resolves, a few things happen. The face down creature is exiled and, as it changes zones, is revealed. Since it wouldn't be face down in the exile zone (as Momentary Blink would need to specify this if it would), it's face up. Then, it re-enters the battlefield face up as a new game object, an untapped land named Zoetic Cavern.

Zoetic Cavern
Land
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool.
Morph 2 (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)

Momentary Blink 1W
Instant
Exile target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
Flashback 3U (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

The second is pretty much the same scenario as above, but the face down creature is a manifested Omniscience. Since, like the Zoetic Cavern, Omniscience is a non-creature permanent, it enters the battlefield face up.

Omniscience 7UUU
Enchantment
You may cast nonland cards from your hand without paying their mana costs.

For the third scenario, lets say the face down creature is a manifested Counterspell. Upon resolution, Momentary Blink will still exile the creature and reveal it as it changes zones (the same thing would happen if it was bounced, died, etc) but when it is in the new zone, it is no longer a creature, but an Instant card named Counterspell. As it's not possible within the rules of the game for an instant spell or sorcery to be on the battlefield face up, the game doesn't know how to treat it. While Wizards hasn't officially ruled on what would happen in this scenario, precedent seems to dictate that it would remain exiled.

Counterspell UU
Instant
Counter target spell.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Emerson Cod posted:

Right, if a manifested instant or sorcery would be turned face up by a spell or effect like Break Open, it would be revealed and kept in play as a 2/2. Blink effects are different, I'm talking about something like Momentary Blink that exiles a permanent and brings it back as part of the spell's resolution.

Oh right, derp. Yeah I imagine they'll just say it's gone forever. But then again, Bestow creatures should have been countered if the target died so who knows?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

suicidesteve posted:

Oh right, derp. Yeah I imagine they'll just say it's gone forever. But then again, Bestow creatures should have been countered if the target died so who knows?

Yeah, exactly. I'm not going to say for sure that there isn't going to be rules baggage with manifest and non-creature permanents, but there hasn't been any indication that they'd be any different than other face-down permanents.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Other Mardu Walker/Control players: how would you feel about switching out Read the Bones for Sign in Blood? In some games I lose so much ground waiting for my deck to come online, and I thought it might be good to get the curve down, plus cheaper spells are better with Seeker (who can get the life back for it) and there will be that one time I finish an opponent by targeting them. In a deck that can go heavy on Scry Temples, could this be justified?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't play that deck, but it seems like a reasonable modification to make...assuming you can consistently generate BB on demand, preferably on T2. Can you?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BB on turn 2 is really hard. The best thing to do turn 1 is play a scry/refuge land, then Thoughtseize T2, and then plan out your game after that. Probably with more mana fixing (off-color fetches for regular swamps?) or more than 1 Urborg could do it. But it would be hard because I would probably want RR by turn 3 for Anger mana. The scry is great as well. I saw some people playing Bitter Revelation (to feed...I don't really know what, because I never saw it.) The problem with the deck is that it NEEDS to hit land drops. Most games I lose come from stumbling mana-wise and can't get a sweeper off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

This is my casual, cheap Turbofog I'm thinking of making. My main question is, go with the CTP lands, or stick with Forests, Islands, and Terramorphic Expanses?

Deck: Turbofog

Maybe a Kiora or two if you can find them for cheap? I see the strategy of drawing your opponents out of the game but I think doing so by feeding them cards only makes it more likely that they draw an answer to your fog effects. A planeswalker that eventually craps out 9/9s every turn for free is much more inevitable in my mind. If you're committed to the mill cause, then Hedron Crab and Visions of Beyond both deserve consideration as they are amazing mono-blue mill cards.

As far as the lands go, I'd drop the Simic Guildgates and Vivid lands since I don't think your color requirements are harsh enough to merit that many CIPT tapped lands. Plus if you end up picking up Hedron Crabs, you can use the awesome interaction of playing a Terramorphic Expanse with a Crab in play, then cracking said Expanse to drop another land into play, milling your opponent for six off of one land drop (Kiora also has a similar interaction). Upon closer examination it seems like a fun idea and I wonder if this could work in Modern...

DarkDobe posted:

So I've been loving around with what used to be one of my old homebrew Standard decks during RtR block...
And the result is rather similar, if a touch meaner and more rampy:

Deck: Flickerdicks - Modern

Drop the Acid-Mosses for a curve-topper like Woodfall Primus or Sylvan Primordial. Better fits the flicker theme while still letting you blow up lands.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Emerson Cod posted:

No? Unless they posted a rules update making a special case, as long as its a permanent it will reenter the battlefield, same as a card like Zoetic Cavern. They haven't ruled on what would happen to an instant or sorcery officially yet, but it would probably remain exiled.

This is already in the rules. 400.4a: If an instant or sorcery card would enter the battlefield, it remains in its previous zone.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

C-Euro posted:

Drop the Acid-Mosses for a curve-topper like Woodfall Primus or Sylvan Primordial. Better fits the flicker theme while still letting you blow up lands.

You are an evil, evil person.
Doing this.

I need to test this though, Acid Moss is a nice lower-costed self-ramping inclusion in the deck, which I might be hard pressed to drop considering that it can make or break things being able to pop that effect on turn 3 or even turn 2.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

C-Euro posted:

Maybe a Kiora or two if you can find them for cheap? I see the strategy of drawing your opponents out of the game but I think doing so by feeding them cards only makes it more likely that they draw an answer to your fog effects. A planeswalker that eventually craps out 9/9s every turn for free is much more inevitable in my mind. If you're committed to the mill cause, then Hedron Crab and Visions of Beyond both deserve consideration as they are amazing mono-blue mill cards.

As far as the lands go, I'd drop the Simic Guildgates and Vivid lands since I don't think your color requirements are harsh enough to merit that many CIPT tapped lands. Plus if you end up picking up Hedron Crabs, you can use the awesome interaction of playing a Terramorphic Expanse with a Crab in play, then cracking said Expanse to drop another land into play, milling your opponent for six off of one land drop (Kiora also has a similar interaction). Upon closer examination it seems like a fun idea and I wonder if this could work in Modern...

Great ideas, thank you! Here is the updated version, seems to work faster while goldfishing wit dose crabs:

Deck: TurboFog, Crab Version

//Lands
4 Forest
5 Island
1 Magosi, the Waterveil
4 Simic Guildgate
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Terramorphic Expanse

//Spells
4 Brainstorm
3 Constant Mists
4 Counterspell
2 Dream Fracture
4 Fog
4 Jace's Erasure
4 Moment's Peace
3 Respite
3 Visions of Beyond
4 Words of Wisdom

//Creatures
3 Hedron Crab

//Sideboard
4 Capsize
4 Nourish
4 Quiet Disrepair
3 Tormod's Crypt

Display deck statistics

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Oh man, I saw this deck and it inspired me to make something for modern. :allears:

I have no idea for a sideboard. Gonna proxy this lame duck up and see how it goes.

Deck: Foggy Mill

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hinterland Harbor
7 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Forest

//Spells
4 Defend the Hearth
4 Fog
4 Jace's Erasure
4 Mana Leak
4 Serum Visions
4 Thought Scour
3 Treasure Cruise
4 Visions of Beyond
3 Clinging Mists
3 Druid's Deliverance

//Creatures
3 Hedron Crab

//Sideboard
3 Archive Trap

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Deckit posted:

Oh man, I saw this deck and it inspired me to make something for modern. :allears:

I have no idea for a sideboard. Gonna proxy this lame duck up and see how it goes.

Deck: Foggy Mill

I've been toying with this archetype in the Eternal thread and I'd say UW is better than UG; I looked and white has as many Fog effects in Modern as green, and better ones to boot (Dawn Charm, Pollen Lullaby, Riot Control) plus you're able to run Leyline of Sanctity and be less likely to completely lose your rear end to decks like burn and Scapeshift that don't try to win through the combat step. And thinking about it now, Tron is probably a big problem as well.

I'm also taking the more traditional Turbofog approach, which is to use a lot of Howling Mine effects to deck your opponent while giving you great odds to shut down a lot of what your opponent draws since you are drawing so much as well. That being said my UW list still runs Jace's Erasure to make sure my opponent draws out first, and because I couldn't decide the last two slots I threw in Teferi's Puzzle Box for maximum hilarity with Erasure :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Amongst all the hubub of the new set, I am fiddling with a burn deck for the current standard. There is probably too much life gain in the meta. So, I threw in a couple tricksy cards that can pull wins out of nowhere even though they're dead draws much of the time.

Jeskai Burn
3 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
3 Island
6 Mountain
4 Mystic Monastery
1 Plains
3 Shivan Reef

4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Mantis Rider

2 Deflecting Palm
2 Harness by Force
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
1 Riddle of Lightning
3 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Treasure Cruise

Sideboard
4 Anger of the Gods
3 Satyr Firedancer
2 Fated Conflagration
1 Harness by Force
1 Keranos
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Negate

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition Deflecting Palm. And Riddle can pull 8 damage out of nowhere. The best part is if they want to counter it, they have to before you scry and reveal for the damage, so even they don't know how much you'll really be able to do, and you can alter your scry accordingly. And a strived Harness by Force cannot be Distainful Stroked. Still working on the sideboard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My pick for a stupid burn finisher would be Howl of the Horde. If you can pull the mana together to activate it it can be 6-8 damage.

I'd also think about Hordeling Outburst by the way. It stalls a bit and it ramps you into Stoke.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

AlternateNu posted:

Amongst all the hubub of the new set, I am fiddling with a burn deck for the current standard. There is probably too much life gain in the meta. So, I threw in a couple tricksy cards that can pull wins out of nowhere even though they're dead draws much of the time.

Jeskai Burn
3 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
3 Island
6 Mountain
4 Mystic Monastery
1 Plains
3 Shivan Reef

4 Mantis Rider

2 Deflecting Palm
2 Harness by Force
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
1 Riddle of Lightning
3 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Treasure Cruise

Sideboard
4 Anger of the Gods
3 Satyr Firedancer
2 Fated Conflagration
1 Harness by Force
1 Keranos
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Negate

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition Deflecting Palm. And Riddle can pull 8 damage out of nowhere. The best part is if they want to counter it, they have to before you scry and reveal for the damage, so even they don't know how much you'll really be able to do, and you can alter your scry accordingly. And a strived Harness by Force cannot be Distainful Stroked. Still working on the sideboard.
Conley Woods was showcasing a deck awhile ago that used Dictate of the Twin Gods and Deflecting Palm to basically OHKO anyone who won by attacking, since, for example, a Polukranos would swing for 5 (doubled to 10), and Palm would send it back for 20. It was a somewhat effective little deck that might do a bit better with some tinkering to actually survive to T6.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mikujin posted:

Conley Woods was showcasing a deck awhile ago that used Dictate of the Twin Gods and Deflecting Palm to basically OHKO anyone who won by attacking, since, for example, a Polukranos would swing for 5 (doubled to 10), and Palm would send it back for 20. It was a somewhat effective little deck that might do a bit better with some tinkering to actually survive to T6.

I'll admit that's a hilarious sideboard gimmick against green decks. I could see G/R decks make better use of it with just ramped up Crater's Claws. :haw:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
U/R counterburn: your win condition is EoT Pearl Lake Ancient, untap, pick up all your lands/PLA, Master the Way. Live the dream.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
So I'm playing B/W Warrior aggro in Standard right now--it's not so hot. The best results I get are fairly consistent 2-2s. I'd like my deck to be analyzed--but not as it is now. Instead I'd like critique on what I'm thinking I might play when FRF hits. After all, there's only one FNM left until the prerelease.

25 Creatures:
4 Mardu Woe-Reaper
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Mardu Shadowspear
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Battle Brawler
3 Mardu Strike Leader
2 Brutal Hordechief

2 Planeswalkers:
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

11 Instants:
2 Bile Blight
3 Harsh Sustenance
4 Thoughtseize
2 Hero’s Downfall

2 Enchantments:
2 Banishing Light

20 Lands:
4 Temple of Silence
4 Caves of Koilos
3 Mana Confluence / 1 Urborg
4 Plains
4 Swamp

Sideboard:
3 Erase
2 Bile Blight
2 Hero’s Downfall
2 Spear of Heliod
2 Dictate of Heliod
4 Suspension Field

Probably my biggest areas of questioning are removal, the Archetype, and Athreos. Archetype is there to lock the ground situation down if I'm in a pinch, and I have so much FUN with two of Athreos currently, but I'm not even sure if one is totally worth it versus, say, having a third Blight or Banishing Light in. Speaking of that, I'm not sure if this is too little removal, too much removal, or too inconsistent removal. Harsh Sustenance seems great for something this aggressive and with this many creatures, but is it too risky to not start with Downfall in case they're packing too many huge creatures or walkers that I need to shoot down? I'd love to run 4 Thoughtseize somewhere in there to deal with that kind of thing, but I wouldn't love to spend $80 on four cards at the moment. Everything that isn't from FRF I have already, along with some misc. other cards that work well with this sort of thing.

e: if it's too hard to tell whether this will really work because nobody's actually seen FRF cards in play I can post what I'm running at the moment. It's very different, though, and I'm not super satisfied with it.

e2: Correction. Just opened a foil Flooded Strand. Thoughtseizes are viable to have for me. Also got other various advice, but would still like to further refine this.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 10, 2015

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Time for a fun night of FNM before a new set! Lets dust off Yisan combo and see how it does.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
12 Forest
3 Island
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Chord of Calling
1 Restock
2 Treasure Cruise

//Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
2 Horizon Chimera
2 Hornet Nest
1 Hornet Queen
4 Kiora's Follower
2 Nylea's Disciple
1 Prognostic Sphinx
2 Prophet of Kruphix
1 Quickling
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
1 Sagu Mauler
1 Scuttling Doom Engine
2 Thassa, God of the Sea
4 Yisan, the Wanderer Bard

//Sideboard
4 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2 Hornet Nest
1 Scourge of Fleets
3 Reclamation Sage
2 Soul of New Phyrexia
3 Setessan Tactics

Display deck statistics

Dream of T1 Mystic, T2 Yisan, T3 start serenading dudes onto the field. :allears:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

This is a super old pet deck of mine, that I made some changes to recently, and realised that it was Modern legal after my changes.
I don't have a complete Modern deck, and I'm not particularly Spike-y, so if there's a way to make Might of the Nephilim work in Modern, I'd like to try, since I've had versions of this deck since 2007 or so.

Aurelia needs cut, as do the Behemoth sledge's. I might try the new Double Strike instant in FRF. Anax and Cymede also seemed like a reasonable choice too.

Suggestions? (I know the mana base needs tightened a bit.)

Deck: Mehall Might Get There

//Main
4 Marisi's Twinclaws
2 Woolly Thoctar
1 Incinerate
2 Windswept Heath
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Temple Garden
1 Arid Mesa
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Mountain
2 Wooded Foothills
1 Rootbound Crag
5 Forest
2 Harrow
2 Giant Growth
3 Warriors' Lesson
4 Might of the Nephilim
4 Plains
2 Behemoth Sledge
1 Fanatic of Xenagos
1 Giant Ambush Beetle
1 Boros Charm
1 Gruul Charm
2 Scuzzback Scrapper
1 Colossal Might
2 Fleecemane Lion
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Lightning Helix
1 Cerodon Yearling
2 Skyknight Legionnaire
2 Aurelia, the Warleader
1 Boros Recruit

Display deck statistics

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mister Olympus posted:

So I'm playing B/W Warrior aggro in Standard right now--it's not so hot. The best results I get are fairly consistent 2-2s. I'd like my deck to be analyzed--but not as it is now. Instead I'd like critique on what I'm thinking I might play when FRF hits. After all, there's only one FNM left until the prerelease.

25 Creatures:
4 Mardu Woe-Reaper
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Mardu Shadowspear
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Battle Brawler
3 Mardu Strike Leader
2 Brutal Hordechief

2 Planeswalkers:
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

11 Instants:
2 Bile Blight
3 Harsh Sustenance
4 Thoughtseize
2 Hero’s Downfall

2 Enchantments:
2 Banishing Light

20 Lands:
4 Temple of Silence
4 Caves of Koilos
3 Mana Confluence / 1 Urborg
4 Plains
4 Swamp

Sideboard:
3 Erase
2 Bile Blight
2 Hero’s Downfall
2 Spear of Heliod
2 Dictate of Heliod
4 Suspension Field

Strike leader is bad imo, and mogis marauder is a significantly better card in the 3 drop slot, you should be running 3-4 of him instead. Also 20 lands is not enough, considering you curve up to 4 cmc. Should probably be in the 22-23 range instead. Also don't like the dictate and spear in the sideboard, you're primarily a black deck splashing white so spells with WW in the cost are a bad idea. Hall of triumph is better than spear in this situation. Sideboard the banishing lights as well. I plan on giving b/w warrior aggro a go when FRF releases so I'll come up with a list idea in a day or so and post it probably.

Edit: double checked what harsh sustenance did again, I definitely don't think it's deserving of a slot, or at least not 3 slots. You're probably going to get an average of 3-4 damage out of it and spend a turn casting it, which isn't good enough for 3 mana. Mogis Marauder will get you way more damage for 3 cmc, or a removal spell will get you more overall value. It's a better card in some kind of tokens deck, maybe a sideboard slot for burn decks. Too slow for a smashy smash aggro deck though, and a totally dead card after any board wipe.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 10, 2015

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
So me and a friend are starting to brew Red Devotion for the upcoming standard season, I think Flamewake Phoenix and Mardu Scout are perfect for filling this sort of deck out to make it playable.

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
14 Mountain
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Crater's Claws
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

//Creatures
4 Ashcloud Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Flamewake Phoenix
3 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Mardu Scout
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Display deck statistics

If the format stays relatively clear of sweepers, this could be a pretty slick deck. Crater's Claws + Fanatic of Mogis is a ridiculous amount of reach, especially when you get to use Nykthos. I'm not sure if Chained is worth the splash or not; it's crazy good, but it weakens the mana base and you don't have to worry about Master of Waves anymore. It opens up some better sideboard options like Erase and Valorous Stance though. Either way I am entirely looking forward to Fireballing people for a million while they hide behind Rhinos and Hornets.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Strike leader is bad imo, and mogis marauder is a significantly better card in the 3 drop slot, you should be running 3-4 of him instead. Also 20 lands is not enough, considering you curve up to 4 cmc. Should probably be in the 22-23 range instead. Also don't like the dictate and spear in the sideboard, you're primarily a black deck splashing white so spells with WW in the cost are a bad idea. Hall of triumph is better than spear in this situation. Sideboard the banishing lights as well. I plan on giving b/w warrior aggro a go when FRF releases so I'll come up with a list idea in a day or so and post it probably.

Edit: double checked what harsh sustenance did again, I definitely don't think it's deserving of a slot, or at least not 3 slots. You're probably going to get an average of 3-4 damage out of it and spend a turn casting it, which isn't good enough for 3 mana. Mogis Marauder will get you way more damage for 3 cmc, or a removal spell will get you more overall value. It's a better card in some kind of tokens deck, maybe a sideboard slot for burn decks. Too slow for a smashy smash aggro deck though, and a totally dead card after any board wipe.

That makes sense. For some reason, I just keep thinking of situations where the board is stalled out and neither of us want to attack, so something that can burn and runs off creatures seems good... and I've had kind of an aversion to playing NON-warriors, but hell, Chief of the Edge is just 4 cards in the deck. It shouldn't be counted on. So what I take from this is: cut Strike Leader, Sustenance, and Banishing Light. Add 2 lands (probably confluence and a swamp), 4 Marauders, and shift two of the Blights or Downfalls into the main. Sideboard cuts the Dictates and Spears, and adds in the Banishing Lights and a set of Hall of Triumphs. Does that sound right?

e: I still really want Athreos in there somewhere, but he's probably just the pet card that I'll have to ignore for my own good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mehall posted:

This is a super old pet deck of mine, that I made some changes to recently, and realised that it was Modern legal after my changes.
I don't have a complete Modern deck, and I'm not particularly Spike-y, so if there's a way to make Might of the Nephilim work in Modern, I'd like to try, since I've had versions of this deck since 2007 or so.

Aurelia needs cut, as do the Behemoth sledge's. I might try the new Double Strike instant in FRF. Anax and Cymede also seemed like a reasonable choice too.

Suggestions? (I know the mana base needs tightened a bit.)

Deck: Mehall Might Get There

//Main
4 Marisi's Twinclaws
2 Woolly Thoctar
1 Incinerate
2 Windswept Heath
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Temple Garden
1 Arid Mesa
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Mountain
2 Wooded Foothills
1 Rootbound Crag
5 Forest
2 Harrow
2 Giant Growth
3 Warriors' Lesson
4 Might of the Nephilim
4 Plains
2 Behemoth Sledge
1 Fanatic of Xenagos
1 Giant Ambush Beetle
1 Boros Charm
1 Gruul Charm
2 Scuzzback Scrapper
1 Colossal Might
2 Fleecemane Lion
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Lightning Helix
1 Cerodon Yearling
2 Skyknight Legionnaire
2 Aurelia, the Warleader
1 Boros Recruit

Display deck statistics

You're kind of going this direction already, but you definitely want to have fewer 1-ofs and 2-ofs in favor of more consistency. For example, a single Incinerate isn't going to do you any good but if you turn that into another Boros Charm or Lightning Helix you have a better chance of drawing one of those when you need them. Stuff like that, the singleton creatures you have aren't that special but having more Fleecemane Lions and Woolly Thoctars would be good for you. Loxodon Smiter would also be a good card to include, an uncounterable 4/4 for three mana that's also immune to discard is exactly what your deck wants and it's a dollar rare right now. Also Wild Nacatl, I know it's monocolored but it will probably be a 3/3 more often than not. If you can pick up a playset, take out the Giant Growths for them.

More generally, I don't think Might of the Nephilim is really a build-around card like you want it to be, certainly not without some way to recur it (Isochron Scepter?). It sounds like you might enjoy some variation on Modern Zoo instead, I don't have a good primer on it but generally it's RWG (sometimes another color) aggro backed up by a bit of removal (stuff like Lightning Bolt, Path to Exile, Lightning Helix). The pros will run expensive cards like Tarmgofy, Noble Hierarch, and others but I think you could run a more multicolor-heavy version if you really want to stick with Might of the Nephilim and not worry about breaking the bank. You can ask around in the Eternal thread for more info. Or if you really want to double-down on Might of the Nephilim, try working it into this bad boy.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I've been toying with this archetype in the Eternal thread and I'd say UW is better than UG; I looked and white has as many Fog effects in Modern as green, and better ones to boot (Dawn Charm, Pollen Lullaby, Riot Control) plus you're able to run Leyline of Sanctity and be less likely to completely lose your rear end to decks like burn and Scapeshift that don't try to win through the combat step. And thinking about it now, Tron is probably a big problem as well.

I'm also taking the more traditional Turbofog approach, which is to use a lot of Howling Mine effects to deck your opponent while giving you great odds to shut down a lot of what your opponent draws since you are drawing so much as well. That being said my UW list still runs Jace's Erasure to make sure my opponent draws out first, and because I couldn't decide the last two slots I threw in Teferi's Puzzle Box for maximum hilarity with Erasure :getin:

I totally missed this. Sorry! I'll give white a look and see how I like the effects. I'm a fan of U/G though. :ohdear:

Deckit posted:

Time for a fun night of FNM before a new set! Lets dust off Yisan combo and see how it does.

Dream of T1 Mystic, T2 Yisan, T3 start serenading dudes onto the field. :allears:

So I had a fun night of Magic with this deck!

Round 1 was against Mardu Tokens.

Game 1: I lived the dream of Elvish Mystic Turn 1, Turn 2 Yisan, Turn 3 pump out dudes. He eventually killed Yisan but I had enough dorks out to ramp out Scuttling Doom Engine and Hornet Queen.
Game 2: He got two Anger of the Gods off against me, exiling my dudes and not giving me any fuel for Treasure Cruise. :shobon:
Game 3: Got there hard core with Phyrexian Revoker. He cast Sorin and I Yisan'd for 2 in response, naming Sorin. Opponent was flubberghasted. :getin: Two turns later, he casts Butcher of the Horde. I respond with Chord of Calling, fetching another Revoker. I overran him with big dudes.

Round 2 was against Jeskai Tokens

Game 1: I had a great start and pumped out dudes with Yisan on turn 3. He didn't find an answer for him and got off the Prophet on turn 4 or 5 and it just spiraled downhill from there.
Game 2: He sideboarded all 15 cards against me and turned from Jeskai Tokens to Control. Yisan died and everything big got countered. :ohdear:
Game 3: Game 2 took a long time and we hit time in the round about really quickly. We drew.

Round 3 was against Jeskai Ascendency Combo

Game 1: I drew lots and lots of land. :ohdear: And he went infinite.
Game 2 and 3: Both games went very similarly. I sideboarded in Reclamation Side, Revoker and Setessan Tactics. I always tutored Rec. Sage for his Ascendency and I always killed any dudes he had with Tactics. When I didn't have either, I'd put out a Revoker naming whatever target he had cast Helix On. :unsmigghh: He told me after our games that he had everything he needed in hand to win, but Wreck Sage was stopping him.

Round 4 was against U/W Heroic Playing another goon!

Game 1: I got a fast start and went out of control with making GBS threads out my entire deck with Yisan/Kiora's Follower/Prophet.
Game 2: Sideboarded in Kiora's but couldn't get beyond two lands. By the time I had enough dorks out, I was dead.
Game 3: I died to am aqueous form and kicked myself for not thinking to sideboard in Rec. Sage. Didn't find a Kiora in time to slow damage either. :negative:

Round 5 was against Abzan... Enchantment?

Game 1: He kept me off Yisan with kills spells and Thoughtseize'ing away my Thassa on turn 1. Died to Siege rhino being played on turn 4, 5 and 6. He showed he had the 4th one in his hand.
Game 2: I survived by playing three Yisan and fetching a Prophet. I copied his Courser and slowly killed him with Scuttling Doom Engine.
Game 3: He had Drown in Sorrow x3 and Thoughtseize. I died pretty fast.

All in all, I had a poo poo ton of fun with the deck.

Going to remove the Kraken from my sideboard. It would have been nice against any token decks but I'd have to change my mana base up to use it. By the time I had 7 mana, I sometimes wouldn't have even a single island.
Phyrexian Revoker is MVP. Love singing and fetching him onto the field.
Clever Impersonator was surprising. I copied Chandra's, Whips, Rhinos and my own Yisan or Prophet if they were targeted for removal.
Gonna remove Quickling. I was hoping to use him to fetch in response for a kill spell but it never came up.
Chimeras were useful but they died to Drown and Anger with the rest of my deck. Going to have to replace them with another 4 drop.
A few times I felt I was out of creatures to play once I had scoots or hornet out. Might add two more to the high end.
Treasure Cruise was good when I didn't have Anafensa or Anger mucking things up.
Scuttling Doom Engine is probably the best six drop. Going to replace Sagu with another.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

DarkDobe posted:

Are there any glaringly obvious ramp or ETB cards that I am missing out on?

Mulldrifter. Evoke, flicker in response, get a dude and 4 cards.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

You're kind of going this direction already, but you definitely want to have fewer 1-ofs and 2-ofs in favor of more consistency. For example, a single Incinerate isn't going to do you any good but if you turn that into another Boros Charm or Lightning Helix you have a better chance of drawing one of those when you need them. Stuff like that, the singleton creatures you have aren't that special but having more Fleecemane Lions and Woolly Thoctars would be good for you. Loxodon Smiter would also be a good card to include, an uncounterable 4/4 for three mana that's also immune to discard is exactly what your deck wants and it's a dollar rare right now. Also Wild Nacatl, I know it's monocolored but it will probably be a 3/3 more often than not. If you can pick up a playset, take out the Giant Growths for them.

More generally, I don't think Might of the Nephilim is really a build-around card like you want it to be, certainly not without some way to recur it (Isochron Scepter?). It sounds like you might enjoy some variation on Modern Zoo instead, I don't have a good primer on it but generally it's RWG (sometimes another color) aggro backed up by a bit of removal (stuff like Lightning Bolt, Path to Exile, Lightning Helix). The pros will run expensive cards like Tarmgofy, Noble Hierarch, and others but I think you could run a more multicolor-heavy version if you really want to stick with Might of the Nephilim and not worry about breaking the bank. You can ask around in the Eternal thread for more info. Or if you really want to double-down on Might of the Nephilim, try working it into this bad boy.

Yeah, the 1-s and 2-s of creatures were from when the mana base was way worse, to give me best flexibility about what I had. (also, opponent's have to deal differently with Wither than with First strike, so it pushed my friends a little.)

I know Might is never going to be winning any tournaments, I'll just run this deck till I finish of Amulet combo or Quest combo.

Smiter is a great pickup who I need to get, and the other card I'm looking at is Dryad Militant, since she's a savannah lions who gets the bonus buff.

I'm not sure about cutting Growth since I want to bring in Anax and Cymede for the trample from heroic, and that would leave me with just 7 targeted effects, but I'm well aware this deck is just trying to be cute and won't ever be a major force.
In terms of the charms and incinerate's, all of them are likely to be swapped for lightning bolt soon as I dig out a spare set.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

This thread seems more receptive to brew pitches than the wternal thread, so here goes:

Modern Mardu Aristocrats.

I've talked before about liking how Bloodsoaked Champion and Falkenrath Aristocrat work together. Now we get Alesha enabling similar plays with the bonus of letting us cheat in ETBs on small bodies. Bring them up on Alesha's ability, get the ETB, either hit with them or fed them to Aristocrat.

You know who's 2 power? Avalanche Riders. Also a human. Blow up your land, and I can do it again.

Also Fiend Hunter. The exploit with his trigger and saccing him is well known, this lets us recur it.

The deck is likely slower than Affinity, but can play Lingering Souls against it. Dark Blast could be handy, with dredge helping enable the core strategy.

It's looking like human tribal then, and with the reanimate gimmick Champion of the Parish is nice. There's also Blood Artist, who I play whenever I can. I swear it's not my Timmy fondness for Vampires, but Viscera Seer and Bloodghast may have a role to play. Cartel Aristocrat and Bob too, but things are getting crowded now. Lightning Helix, Path, Boros Charm, Bolt are all great, and white gives great sideboard options.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

BizarroAzrael posted:

This thread seems more receptive to brew pitches than the wternal thread, so here goes:

Modern Mardu Aristocrats.

I've talked before about liking how Bloodsoaked Champion and Falkenrath Aristocrat work together. Now we get Alesha enabling similar plays with the bonus of letting us cheat in ETBs on small bodies. Bring them up on Alesha's ability, get the ETB, either hit with them or fed them to Aristocrat.

You know who's 2 power? Avalanche Riders. Also a human. Blow up your land, and I can do it again.

Also Fiend Hunter. The exploit with his trigger and saccing him is well known, this lets us recur it.

The deck is likely slower than Affinity, but can play Lingering Souls against it. Dark Blast could be handy, with dredge helping enable the core strategy.

It's looking like human tribal then, and with the reanimate gimmick Champion of the Parish is nice. There's also Blood Artist, who I play whenever I can. I swear it's not my Timmy fondness for Vampires, but Viscera Seer and Bloodghast may have a role to play. Cartel Aristocrat and Bob too, but things are getting crowded now. Lightning Helix, Path, Boros Charm, Bolt are all great, and white gives great sideboard options.
This sounds super sweet to me, I'd be interested in seeing a list. I like that none of the cards that you've listed are particularly out of any price range and I'd probably have most of the lands for the manabase already anyway, since I have Flats and Mires already.

EDIT: Also, I have really been looking for a deck in Modern that I can play Slaughter Games in, sideboard at least but maybe main.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 10, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You should put Slaughter Games in your G/r tron sideboard and run a single Lanowar Wastes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Boco_T posted:

This sounds super sweet to me, I'd be interested in seeing a list. I like that none of the cards that you've listed are particularly out of any price range

There's also, strap in, Fulminator Mage, but Riders may actually synergize better here.

Its another deck, but Snapcaster might be fun with Alesha.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I would do a split of riders/mage

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They're 99% to reprint Fulminator this summer, though, right? Just like how I can finally make Modern Infect when they reprint Noble Hierarch.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

What's your current Mardu Walkers deck looking like nowdays? And have you had any luck with it at recent FNMs?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

They're 99% to reprint Fulminator this summer, though, right? Just like how I can finally make Modern Infect when they reprint Noble Hierarch.

No thanks to more Infect, my Esper Mill deck is clinging to competitive for dear life already (but if Delver takes a hit in the next B&R update it might start to fare better)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Seems a good bet yeah, at most i'll proxy over riders until we find out.

I think I might want a mass reanimate like Rally the Ancestors or Immortal Servitude. Anyone see a good way to give guys haste here? Can consider Hammer of P, but it would be nice if there was an ETB for it on a small guy. Goblin Bushwhacker isn't useless but kicker isn't ideal. There is the Soulbond haste guy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Alris posted:

What's your current Mardu Walkers deck looking like nowdays? And have you had any luck with it at recent FNMs?

Had some sucky matches against Whip and Control decks, don't know if I can fix them, so some middling results. Played midrange at a PPTQ, which has given me things to think about, and I plan to try warriors once FTR is out. So sticking with the clan, trying to figure out the best build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems a good bet yeah, at most i'll proxy over riders until we find out.

I think I might want a mass reanimate like Rally the Ancestors or Immortal Servitude. Anyone see a good way to give guys haste here? Can consider Hammer of P, but it would be nice if there was an ETB for it on a small guy. Goblin Bushwhacker isn't useless but kicker isn't ideal. There is the Soulbond haste guy.
:siren:mass hysteria:siren:

• Locked thread